Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
July 30th, 2012 at 7:24:25 AM permalink
Logan's Run was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I have seen it at least 20 times. Haven't there been rumblings about remaking it?

An underrated movie is Free Enterprise which was in part about Logan's Run. It dealt with a science fiction buff turning 30 and he was anxious that he hasn't accomplished much with his life by that point.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 30th, 2012 at 7:34:46 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Logan's Run was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I have seen it at least 20 times. Haven't there been rumblings about remaking it?

It's the first SF movie I recall seeing. On seeing it again many years later, it struck me that it was really good.

Although for a better treatment of one isolated, closed-off city without much productive work going on and pleasures galore engaging 99.9999% of the population's time, you may want to read Clarke's "The City and the Stars." And the people in Diaspar actually get "renewed" (such nice euphemisms for "murdered").

Anyway, I should get "Logan's Run" on DVD, and find the book it's based on.

BTW a few movies are so good on their own I feel no need to look at the original book or story they're adapted from. Case in point "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Soylent Green."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 30th, 2012 at 7:52:54 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Case in point "The Shawshank Redemption"

I read it before the movie. One of the best adaptations of a Stephen King book, although that isn't saying much. As I recall, it was one of four stories in Different Seasons, titled "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption." A rare case where the movie was true to the book. As usual with movies made from books, there were some details left out. For example, once when Andy got the warden angry he made him bunk with another inmate for about six months. The book did not detail Red actually making it to Mexico.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 30th, 2012 at 8:10:00 AM permalink
Fecha: 30-07-12
Palabra: Muescar

Today's SWD means to make a nick. Naturally, muesca would be a nick.

Ejemplo time.

Intenté a fugar de carcel por cavando un hoyo, pero ni hice una muesca en el suelo con mi cuchara. = I tried to escape from prison by digging a hole, but didn't even make a nick in the floor with my spoon.
Nareed
Nareed
July 30th, 2012 at 8:21:05 AM permalink

If you say so. It's a word I know exists, but it's used so rearely it might as well not.

Quote:

Intenté a fugar de carcel por cavando un hoyo, pero ni hice una muesca en el suelo con mi cuchara. = I tried to escape from prison by digging a hole, but didn't even make a nick in the floor with my spoon.

"Intenté FUGARME de LA carcel cavando...."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 30th, 2012 at 9:25:59 AM permalink

If you say so. It's a word I know exists, but it's used so rearely it might as well not.

The DRAE says that the word is unique to Salamanca region of Spain. Salamanca is the name of both a city and a province (population 1/3 million) in Castile and León region of Spain (population 2.5 million) where the language originated in the reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Moors.

Nareed
Nareed
July 30th, 2012 at 9:48:25 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

where the language originated in the reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Moors.

"MOOPS!" George Costanza

I recognized the word, menaing I've heard it before. But I can't tell if it means what the Wizard says or not. In addition it's used so seldom, it might as well not exist. although the word for "nutmeg" is "nuez moscada," which just may be related.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 30th, 2012 at 11:00:52 AM permalink

"MOOPS!" George Costanza

I recognized the word, menaing I've heard it before. But I can't tell if it means what the Wizard says or not. In addition it's used so seldom, it might as well not exist. although the word for "nutmeg" is "nuez moscada," which just may be related.

I forgot that episode of Seinfeld.

The word μυριστική is Greek for nutmeg, which seems to have been transliterated directly into Spanish mirística.

DRAE: nuez moscada == Fruto de la mirística, de forma ovoide, cubierto por la macis, y con una almendra pardusca por fuera y blanquecina por dentro. Se emplea como condimento y para sacar el aceite que contiene en abundancia.

I don't know why the word is transformed from mirística to moscada.

I don't think the words are related. One word comes from a Latin word for moss, and the other from a Latin word that means either "to bite" or to press your lips together.

===================
Here is an interesting article: From baffies to tranklements: The meaning of Britain's most obscure words

Of course, one of the most famous lines in English language is: O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?. Interestingly every word except Romeo is now archaic.
'O' is now commonly spelled 'Oh'
'wherefore' means "why" and not "where"
'art' is an archaic second person form of "to be", completely replaced with "are"
'thou' is an archaic second person pronoun, originally similar to the Spanish "tu", but now replaced with "you"
Nareed
Nareed
July 30th, 2012 at 11:22:40 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I forgot that episode of Seinfeld.

It's a clssic. Far from being the best, but the "bubble boy" scenes are priceless.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 30th, 2012 at 12:08:11 PM permalink

It's a clssic. Far from being the best, but the "bubble boy" scenes are priceless.

The episode made it to #6 in one internet survey. It is pretty impressive that the writing is so good on Seinfeld, that you can re

10. "The Outing"
9. "The Parking Garage"
8. "The Marine Biologist"
7. "The Opposite"
6. "The Bubble Boy"
5. "The Hamptons"
4. "The Pick"
3. "The Junior Mint"
2. "The Soup Nazi"
1. "The Contest"

The subtitles on this video are strange. Instead of "Moops" it is translated a "Louros" . I am not sure of the language, but I think it is Portuguese.

• Jump to: