Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
July 26th, 2012 at 8:59:30 AM permalink
If the waitress is old do you still call her a señorita?

We've been through this before, but in my experience most Spanish translations, and Spanish texts, are done in Spanish Spanish. That is why I keep using such terms, like moza. However, I also know of camarera, so let's use that instead. We'll also change the main course to hasenpfeffer, for which I can't find a Spanish translation. Remind me to drag you to the Hofbrauhaus your next Vegas visit.

Camarera, me puede traer galletas salada con mi hasenpfeffer.

BTW, that is wiener schnitzel in the picture, in the upper right.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 26th, 2012 at 9:27:56 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

If the waitress is old do you still call her a señorita?

Yes. And you call a waiter "joven," even if he's past 150.

Quote:

However, I also know of camarera, so let's use that instead.

That word gets even less milleage, and I think it means "maid."

Quote:

Remind me to drag you to the Hofbrauhaus your next Vegas visit.

I will.

I don't know much about German food, but should I take along a heart catherization kit? ;)

Quote:

Camarera, me puede traer galletas salada con mi hasenpfeffer.

"galletas saladaS"

Quote:

BTW, that is wiener schnitzel in the picture, in the upper right.

Ok (she said none the wiser...)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 26th, 2012 at 10:32:38 AM permalink

Pretzels have been around in Germany for at least 1,000 years. In Germany they call them a ... pretzel. The question for the advanced readers is why did English adopt the German word for them, but Spanish did not?

As Nareed said, they do call German pretzels, by the name pretzel in Mexico. Traditional Mexican deserts are different than the ones in the USA. Nearly 1 out of 6 Americans is of German origin, and it is one of the largest immigrant groups in the country. In Mexico it is more like 1 in over 200 persons are of German origin.

Pretzels were also spelled prezel or brezel, from Old High German "brezitella", from Middle Latin "brachitellum" , which presumably was a kind of biscuit baked in the shape of folded arms The Spanish word for arm is "brazo" which is a cognate.

Deserts and snacks in USA are much saltier or much sweeter than Mexican deserts probably because of Germanic influence. Naturally with greater marketing, Mexicans are eating more American style snacks, but they still tend to go for something with a lot less sugar.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 26th, 2012 at 11:48:13 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Mexicans are eating more American style snacks, but they still tend to go for something with a lot less sugar.

Nareed kindly gave me a canasta of snacks when she was in Vegas. Some of them are extremely sweet. I suspect they are sweetened by something other than sugar, because gram for gram, they seem much sweeter than sugar.
Nareed
Nareed
July 26th, 2012 at 12:47:44 PM permalink

Nareed kindly gave me a canasta of snacks when she was in Vegas. Some of them are extremely sweet. I suspect they are sweetened by something other than sugar, because gram for gram, they seem much sweeter than sugar.

You know, I don't quite remember what was in that.

But for the WoVCon ][ party favors, I put in cajeta wafers, which are essentially cristalized goat milk and sugar; mazapanes, which are powdered peanut and sugar; glorias <w> which are milk and sugar with nuts; and tamborines, which are both salty and sweet, aside from being mildly hot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 26th, 2012 at 9:38:44 PM permalink
Fecha: 27-07-12
Palabra: Rascar

Today's SWD means to scratch or scrape. Interestingly, the word for what we call in English a "scratch card" lottery game in Spanish is a rasca rasca.

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast rascar, rasguñar, y arañar. As a hint, the word for spider is araña, so perhaps arañar is the kind of scratching you would do if bitten by an insect or arachnid.

Ejemplo time.

Me gusta cuando Ginger le rasca mi espalda, por que ella tiene uñas afiladas y largas. = I like it when Ginger scratches my back because she has long and sharp fingernails.
Nareed
Nareed
July 27th, 2012 at 6:54:33 AM permalink

Today's SWD means to scratch or scrape. Interestingly, the word for what we call in English a "scratch card" lottery game in Spanish is a rasca rasca.

I'm not even going to bother this time.

Quote:

Me gusta cuando Ginger le rasca mi espalda, por que ella tiene uñas afiladas y largas. = I like it when Ginger scratches my back because she has long and sharp fingernails.

The "le" shoule be "me" and get rid of the "mi." Also it's "...uñas largas y filosas." "Afiladas" means "sharpened."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 27th, 2012 at 7:28:32 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'm not even going to bother this time.

I don't see why not.

Quote:

The "le" shoule be "me" and get rid of the "mi." Also it's "...uñas largas y filosas." "Afiladas" means "sharpened."

Me gusta cuando Ginger me rasca espalda, por que ella tiene uñas largas y filosas.

I put le because I thought it was referring to the back, but you're the expert.
Nareed
Nareed
July 27th, 2012 at 7:38:51 AM permalink

I don't see why not.

The "where did you hear that/South America/Spain/Dictionaries/Online/Translator/My Tutor Says/etc runaround is getting tiresome by now :)

Quote:

Me gusta cuando Ginger me rasca espalda, por que ella tiene uñas largas y filosas.

I put le because I thought it was referring to the back, but you're the expert.

I missed a "la" Sorry about that.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 27th, 2012 at 8:00:54 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The "where did you hear that/South America/Spain/Dictionaries/Online/Translator/My Tutor Says/etc runaround is getting tiresome by now :)

Don't you enjoy picking up some non-Mexican Spanish?

• Jump to: