Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
July 22nd, 2012 at 8:53:01 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Overall I don't pay attention to superstition.

So if you see a big pile of locks in front of a church you don't wonder why its there?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 22nd, 2012 at 10:05:19 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

So if you see a big pile of locks in front of a church you don't wonder why its there?

You're assuming I'd notice a church in the first place ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 22nd, 2012 at 6:08:17 PM permalink

Evidently some churches in Mexico have a big pile of locks in front, chained together via the locks themselves. It evidently lowers the chances of others gossiping about you.

The locks are a traditional way to honor Saint Nonnatus (no birth). He is not a Mexican saint, but was born in 1200 or 1204 at Portello in Catalonia. His feast is celebrated on 31 August. The Nonnatus is because he was born by cesarean section after his mother died.

He was zealous in teaching the Christian religion and made many converts, which embittered the Mohammedan authorities. Raymond was subjected to all kinds of indignities and cruelty, was made to run the gauntlet, and was at last sentenced to impalement. The hope of a greater sum of money as ransom caused the governor to commute the sentence into imprisonment. To prevent him from preaching for Christ, his lips were pierced with a red-hot iron and closed with a padlock.

Img from Altar of Saint Raymond Nonnatus, Metropolitan Cathedral, Mexico City (courtesy Wikipedia)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:02:12 PM permalink
Paco, what would be do without you? I hope FrG has a chance to read your post. He may put up with a lot here, but nothing compared to Saint Nonnatus. I don't suppose you would know which particular church in Mexico City is good to see one of these big mounds of locks. Not that I go to Catholic Churches much, but I've never seen a big mound of locks in front of any of them here.

Fecha: 07-22-12
Palabra: Agrietar

Today's SWD means to crack or crack open. A related word is grieta, which means to a crack (noun).

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast grieta y raja.

Ejemplo time.

No se quitas tu pulgar de la grieta o el dique caiga. = Don't remove your thumb from the crack or the whole damn will collapse. (Do I get extra points, or lose them, for using the subjunctive?)
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:33:56 PM permalink
I think I will keep my lips sealed in regards to what I think about St. Raymond Nonnatus.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:44:14 PM permalink

Paco, what would be do without you? I hope FrG has a chance to read your post. He may put up with a lot here, but nothing compared to Saint Nonnatus. I don't suppose you would know which particular church in Mexico City is good to see one of these big mounds of locks. Not that I go to Catholic Churches much, but I've never seen a big mound of locks in front of any of them here.

You probably have to go to a Parish of the Mercedarian Friars.
Saint Rocco Parish, OH
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, OH
Mercygrove, NY
Our Lady of Mercy Parish, NY
Philadelphia House, PA
Saint Peter Nolasco Residence, FL
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, PA

There was one in Oaxaca taking care of the ultra sick children Many are blind, or have huge medical problems.
Nareed
Nareed
July 23rd, 2012 at 2:17:05 PM permalink

He may put up with a lot here, but nothing compared to Saint Nonnatus.

What I don't understand is why Chrisitians are so fond of using the implements used to torture or kill them as symbols. It would be like building a Holocaust museum in the shape of a crematorium...

Quote:

No se quitas tu pulgar de la grieta o el dique caiga. = Don't remove your thumb from the crack or the whole damn will collapse. (Do I get extra points, or lose them, for using the subjunctive?)

(beats me) Your Spanish reads: "Don't let your thumb remove itself from the crack or that the dike falls." Or something close to it.

I'll spot you the beginning of the correction: "No quitES tu pulgar..."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 23rd, 2012 at 3:26:08 PM permalink

What I don't understand is why Chrisitians are so fond of using the implements used to torture or kill them as symbols.

It is just a Catholic thing. Protestants find such emphasis on physical things bordering on idolatry. I don't want to speak for Catholics, but I think they would say that all the reminders of the pain Jesus and the martyrs went through are to sow an appropriate sense of guilt.
Nareed
Nareed
July 23rd, 2012 at 3:33:05 PM permalink

Protestants find such emphasis on physical things bordering on idolatry.

I've never seen the inside of a Protestant church (thank god for that), but I'd be very surprised if most of them do not prominently display a few crosses.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 23rd, 2012 at 8:59:18 PM permalink

I've never seen the inside of a Protestant church (thank god for that), but I'd be very surprised if most of them do not prominently display a few crosses.

Most of them do. However, they are just crosses, no dead body on them. Some Protestant churches make it a point to have no decoration or bible verses at all on the walls, to avoid any hint of idolatry.

Fecha: 24-07-12
Palabra: Soportar

Today's SWD means to withstand/bear. You may be wondering, as I am, how it different from aguantar. It seems to me that soportar is the stronger word. If you really can't take something even one more minute then you should probably use soportar.

Ejemplo time.

No puedo soportar los pasteles plátanos de Mary Ann, ni siquiera un día más. = I'm not able to stand Mary Ann's banana pies, not even one more day.

• Jump to: