Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 19th, 2012 at 11:35:58 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The world view is something New Yorkers and defeños have in common.

I resent that. But for three years, I've lived all my life in Mexico State.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 19th, 2012 at 12:14:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I resent that. But for three years, I've lived all my life in Mexico State.

The Saul Steinberg picture "view from 9th avenue" is one of the best known jokes in the United States. It is supposed to be gentle humor. I hope you really don't take the comment seriously enough to resent it.

At the same time, I never knew what to call people from Mexico City (which covered D.F. and parts of Mexico State). Sometimes I hear them called Mexicans (which is confusing to Americans).

I've heard defeños which I was told was broad enough to cover people who lived in the urban area, regardless of whether they actually lived in D.F. In comparison we say Washingtonians even if they live outside of the formal limits of D.C.

The term chilango I am not comfortable with. It does seem that some people take it as merely descriptive, while others feel like it is an insult. Since I am not sure how it is taken, I don't use it. Plus it reminds me of chicano . I am aware that most people proudly use that term, but I still feel like it as an "insiders" term, that I shouldn't be using. I will say Chicano movement which is very clear, but I usually fall back on Mexican Americans.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
July 19th, 2012 at 3:35:40 PM permalink

What I'm trying now is to point out where the error is and see whether you can correct yoruself from there. I thought you'd advanced enough for that. Perhaps I should have said so.

I did not see that as your intent. Okay, how about Nunca me invitaron a los guateques de los chicos populares.

By the way I saw Susie, my hair stylist, today and she never heard of the word. She is Mexican by race, but born and raised in this country. She admits she speaks Spanglish.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
July 19th, 2012 at 3:48:09 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I hope you really don't take the comment seriously enough to resent it.

I hope you can recognize a joke when you see one.

This one should be obvious. First, you assert I share in a provincial or derogatory attitude. Then I counter with how I resent being identified as being from a certain palce, as though that matters in this context, or much in any way at all.

Quote:

At the same time, I never knew what to call people from Mexico City (which covered D.F. and parts of Mexico State). Sometimes I hear them called Mexicans (which is confusing to Americans).

Who cares? Overall it shouldn't be important at all. It's not as if where you were born matters much. Regional designations are useful almost only for telling regional jokes.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 19th, 2012 at 3:52:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Ejemplo time.

Nunca me invitó a los guateques de los chicos populares. = I never get invited to the cool kid parties.

Note that I used the ó in invitó to imply that I'm the one (not) being invited. I would have used é if I was the one doing the inviting. Of course, I'm sure I still blew it somehow.

Los chicos populares nunca me invitan a guateques.
Nareed
Nareed
July 19th, 2012 at 6:17:34 PM permalink

I did not see that as your intent. Okay, how about Nunca me invitaron a los guateques de los chicos populares.

Perfect. Now ask yourself why you got it wrong int he first place. That's an exercise my English teacher had me do.

Also ask yourself how often you'll have the opportunity to refer to a party in Colima.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
July 19th, 2012 at 9:03:34 PM permalink

Now ask yourself why you got it wrong int he first place.

I conjugated invitar in the él/ella/ud. form because I had in my mind just one person doing the inviting. However, it would seem that it should match chicos populares, and use conjugated in the ellos/ellas/Uds ending.

Quote:

Also ask yourself how often you'll have the opportunity to refer to a party in Colima.

I usually have a Spanish lesson before my radio show, meaning today. My tutor, from Peru, had never heard of guateque. However, by chance, her boss, was there who is from Spain and proudly claims to speak correct pure Spanish Spanish. I asked her about it and she said that guateque does in indeed mean party, but it is an antiquated word she hasn't heard since the seventies in Spain. Maybe it is making a comeback.

I feel we've beaten that word to death, so if you'll permit me the last word, no reply necessary on that.
Nareed
Nareed
July 19th, 2012 at 9:08:41 PM permalink

I feel we've beaten that word to death, so if you'll permit me the last word, no reply necessary on that.

Oh, but if I let you have the last word you may get used to it. ;)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
July 19th, 2012 at 9:40:09 PM permalink
Fecha: 20-07-12
Palabra: retrasar

Today's SWD means to postpone, to be late, to fall behind, etc..

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast retrasar, aplazar, posponer y postergar. How many words for procrastinating does one language need?

Ejemplo time.

Nunca hace hoy lo que se puede retrasar hasta mañana. = Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

I think you can tell the difference, generally, whether mañana means tomorrow or morning is that the "morning" meaning is preceded by la.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 19th, 2012 at 9:46:29 PM permalink

How many words for procrastinating does one language need?

considering it's a culture that routinely eats dinner at 10 pm i would say 4 or 5 should be enough :)
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.

• Jump to: