Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
June 2nd, 2012 at 12:38:54 PM permalink
Thanks for the clarification on puñales.. So, I assume that a data daga is a term specifically for a dagger.

Speaking of switchblades, never buy one in Tijuana. I bought one there when I was about 15 that said "NATO military" or something like that on the side. It was a complete piece of junk. After about 20 openings the spring broke and the blade just knocked around loosely in the handle.

Finally, my daughter says that the proper way to kill a vampire, at least according to the Twilight books, is to burn it.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7105
June 2nd, 2012 at 1:11:54 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Finally, my daughter says that the proper way to kill a vampire, at least according to the Twilight books, is to burn it.


Dang! I seem to have all of this stuff wrong! I thought that was how you dealt with heretics, like Joan of Arc.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
June 2nd, 2012 at 4:14:38 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

So, I assume that a data is a term specifically for a dagger.



daga = Cada una de las tongas o hileras horizontales de ladrillos que se forman en el horno para cocerlos.

It could also be a horizontal row of bricks for an oven.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
June 2nd, 2012 at 4:26:50 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Dang! I seem to have all of this stuff wrong! I thought that was how you dealt with heretics, like Joan of Arc.



In 1184, the Roman Catholic Synod of Verona legislated that burning was to be the official punishment for heresy. It was also believed that the condemned would have no body to be resurrected in the Afterlife.

Stephanie Myers created a new set of vampire lore for her books.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:15:46 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

daga = Cada una de las tongas o hileras horizontales de ladrillos que se forman en el horno para cocerlos.



Daga =
1 (=espada corta) dagger
2 (Caribe) (=machete) machete
Source: Reverso.


Fecha: 03-06-12
Palabra: conducto


Today we continue our look at Clue pieces in Spanish. One I'm having a hard time with is the word for "pipe," as in the kind that water moves through. Here are some words I've come across:

caño -- I think this is a musical pipe. I tried to confirm that by looking up "bagpipes," hoping to find caño in the term somewhere, but it is gaita.

oleoducto -- I think this would be a very big pipe, like the Alaska Pipeline.

cachimba, pipa -- The kind of pipe you smoke.

porra -- This is the word WongBo used for lead pipe," but I can't find that usage of it Reverso. According to that site, porra means a whole host of things, but none of them are a pipe.

tubo -- This word best translates to tube. However, in Spanish the word "tube" is used where English uses pipe, sometimes. For example, an organ pipe would be a tubo de órgano.

After eliminating those as possibilities, perhaps incorrectly, I claim that the correct word for the kind of pipe water travels through is conducto. However, a conducto isn't just for liquid. The word better translates to conduit, and thus could be used for a host of things, such as an air duct, canal, or process to accomplish something.

So, I claim the term for the "lead pipe" should be conducto de plomo. However, this seems so unsatisfying. I submit to the Academia Real Española that Spanish should have a word specifically for a round pipe that liquid travels through. Hopefully they are monitoring this thread for my useful suggestions.

Ejemplo time.

Me debes estar agradable, porque puede te golpeo con este conucto. = You better bet nice to me, because I might hit you with this pipe.


The Wizard and family at the Alaska Pipeline near Fairbanks in 2010.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
WongBo
WongBo
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2126
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:28:22 PM permalink
To be clear, When I listed the weapons,
the English was not meant to be a translation
as much as a reference to what each weapon was represented by
in the English language version of the game.
I think the translation of porra as truncheon is more accurate.
It corresponds to the lead pipe as a weapon for bludgeoning.
In Latin porrum refers to a leek (allium porrum), the vegetable.
I believe the shape of the plant with it's bulbous end
is the source for porra as a similarly shaped cudgel.
In España, porras are a type of churros, which are thicker and long and straight.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:37:53 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

caño -- I think this is a musical pipe. I tried to confirm that by looking up "bagpipes," hoping to find caño in the term somewhere, but it is gaita.



Correct on bagpipes. "Caño" is a pipe that carries waste. The chemical products used to remove obstructions from backe dup pies in sinks, toilets and such are known as "destapa-caños."

This is not to be confused with "cañA," which means reed or cane, as in sugar cane = caña de azúcar. Not cane as in a walking stick or a candy cane. The term for those is "bastón."

Quote:

oleoducto -- I think this would be a very big pipe, like the Alaska Pipeline.



"oleo" is a Latin word meaning "oil." An oil painting is known as "oleo." "Oleoducto" means a pipeline that carries oil and nothing else.

Quote:

cachimba, pipa -- The kind of pipe you smoke.



I'd never heard the first one. The second does mean a pipe you use for smoking, or a tanker truck (don't ask why).

Quote:

porra -- This is the word WongBo used for lead pipe," but I can't find that usage of it Reverso. According to that site, porra means a whole host of things, but none of them are a pipe.



The two main meanings for porra are "club" as in what you'd use to hit someone on the head with (not a golf club or a social club), and, curiously enough, "cheer" or "cheering squad."

Quote:

tubo -- This word best translates to tube. However, in Spanish the word "tube" is used where English uses pipe, sometimes. For example, an organ pipe would be a tubo de órgano.



That's the one you wanted.

Quote:

After eliminating those as possibilities, perhaps incorrectly, I claim that the correct word for the kind of pipe water travels through is conducto. However, a conducto isn't just for liquid. The word better translates to conduit, and thus could be used for a host of things, such as an air duct, canal, or process to accomplish something.



Right. in the case of an air duct, it can be called "ducto" in some cases by some people. I've never heard plumbing described as "conducto" in any way. You do hear it in reference to things like electrical conduits, as in the pipes laid in the walls of a building to carry wiring.

It's related tot he word "conductor," which these days means "driver," but in other times referred to a person who led a vehicle where it was supposed to go.

Quote:

Me debes estar agradable, porque puede te golpeo con este conucto. = You better bet nice to me, because I might hit you with this pipe.



You'd been doing better than that lately...

"Será mejor que me seas agradable, porque te puedo golpear con este tubo."

You may want to grab some tylenol first ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:49:12 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

bastón



Thanks for all your help above. Perhaps you're using a new keyboard, but whenever you write a Spanish word involving an accent or an ñ it looks like the word is having a seizure.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
June 3rd, 2012 at 8:15:34 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for all your help above.



You're welcome.

Quote:

Perhaps you're using a new keyboard, but whenever you write a Spanish word involving an accent or an ñ it looks like the word is having a seizure.



No. Same old, old, keyboard I've been using for the past three computers... When I type an "ñ" I see it, likewise with the accents. But when I posted they were well and truly FUBARed :)

I think it may be the current incarnation of Firefox...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
June 4th, 2012 at 7:22:05 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Daga =
1 (=espada corta) dagger
2 (Caribe) (=machete) machete
Source: Reverso.



The secondary definition for "daga" as a row of bricks is from DRAE, and other places. It is an Arabic based word.

  • Jump to: