Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 22nd, 2012 at 6:20:59 AM permalink
Fecha: 22-05-12
Palabra: Carretera

Today's SWD means road/highway. A related word is carrile, which means lane.

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a carretera y autopista. I tend to think autopista implies even greater size and speed, like a highway vs. freeway, but I'm not sure.

Ejemplo time.

En una oscura autopista del desierto, el viento frío en mi cabello = On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 22nd, 2012 at 6:53:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a carretera y autopista. I tend to think autopista implies even greater size and speed, like a highway vs. freeway, but I'm not sure.

Autopista is a divided highway with a minimum of four lanes, limited access and no grade crossings (no traffic lights). Unlike the USA, in Mexico outside of the very largest cities there is no bypass. In a midsized city, the limited access highway will end at the suburbs.

OUtside of Mexico City and Puebla the network of autopistas was not begun until Carlos Salinas de Gortari became president on 1 December 1988 after one of the more controversial elections in Mexican history. The large number of highways built during his 6 year term were part of the spending spree that ended in the December 1994 economic crisis in Mexico. Salinas is still alive and very wealthy. and the tolls on the autopistas are staggeringly high.

Driving from Tijuana to Cancun a distance of 4378 3 km (1334 miles) costs 3869 pesos in tolls ($310).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 22nd, 2012 at 6:59:31 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

... and the tolls on the autopistas are staggeringly high.

This is getting off topic, but in the movie Y tu mamá tambien there was a scene where a family was standing in the middle of the road, including a girl in a nice dress. When the car stopped for them the father asked for money for the girl's birthday or something, which the drivers paid, and they moved aside to let them go on. My question is whether this is common in rural Mexico, and why?
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 22nd, 2012 at 7:12:52 AM permalink

My question is whether this is common in rural Mexico, and why?

It is very common to solicit money for charities at the speedbumps in small towns. It is also very common to use children as a prop when begging for money. Stopping traffic is not unusual. An estimated 44% of Mexicans live below the poverty line with 10% living in extreme poverty. The movie was taking place in one of the poorer regions of Mexico, so it would not be unexpected for a man to use his daughter to beg for money.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 22nd, 2012 at 8:18:33 AM permalink

Today's SWD means road/highway. A related word is carrile, which means lane.

"Carril," no "e" at the end.

Quote:

The question for the advanced readers is what is the difference between a carretera y autopista.

None, really. Some people refer to toll highways as "autopista," but as far as I know they mean the same thing. Except, perhaps, "autopista" can also mean a specific track where cars race.

Quote:

En una oscura autopista del desierto, el viento frío en mi cabello = On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair.

I see nothing wrong, but both are sentence fragments :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
May 22nd, 2012 at 8:22:45 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It is very common to solicit money for charities at the speedbumps in small towns.

Small towns? It's common in the big cities. Just about every intersection with a traffic light is a mini-mall of street peddlers, squeegee guys and beggars. If anything, few charities solicit money in the streets.

Quote:

Stopping traffic is not unusual.

Actually people who work the streets are very careful about not stopping traffic. You should see how well they time the duration of a red light.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 22nd, 2012 at 8:58:44 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I see nothing wrong, but both are sentence fragments :)

Tell that to the Eagles.

Quote:

Actually people who work the streets are very careful about not stopping traffic. You should see how well they time the duration of a red light.

There is certainly a lot of that in Tijuana. However, I didn't see much of it in Mexico City nor Cabo San Lucas.
Nareed
Nareed
May 22nd, 2012 at 9:27:59 AM permalink

Tell that to the Eagles.

Yes, I did recognize the opening lines of "Hotel California."

On the other hand, I don't know any other songs by The Eagles :)

Quote:

There is certainly a lot of that in Tijuana. However, I didn't see much of it in Mexico City nor Cabo San Lucas.

You stuck more to Reforma, as I recall. That's relatively clean. But try the streets and avenues leading there, and to Insurgentes and Chapultepec avenues, and it's a different story.
pacomartin
pacomartin
May 22nd, 2012 at 9:35:22 AM permalink

Cabo and Cancun are cash cows for Mexico. Tourism is possibly more important to the economy than oil. They don't want street people threatening cars.

Mexico City did a huge effort to make the tourist sections less threatening because of the reputation the city and country was getting.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 22nd, 2012 at 9:21:02 PM permalink
Fecha 23-05-12
Palabra: Apaciguar

Today's SWD means to clam down. Here are some related words:

Apacibilidad = calmness,
Apaciblemente = means gently,
Apacible = mild.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast apacible and tranquilo.

Ejemplo time.

Cosas son differente hoy = Things are different today
Oigo todas las madres dice = I hear every mother say
Madre necesita algo hoy para apaciguarla = Mother needs something to calm her down
y aunque ella no está enfermo de verdad = And thought she's not really ill
Hay una poca píldora amarilla = There's a little yellow pill
Se va corriendo para el refugio de la ayudante pequeño de su madre. = She goes running for the shelter of her mother's little helper.

Today is my birthday so I get to torture all of you with my horrible Spanish a little extra.

• Jump to: