Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 19th, 2012 at 8:06:50 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In elementary school, the "b" was often called "be labial" and the "v" "ve labio-dental." Meaning the first is pronounced with the lips, and the second with the lips and teeth, whatever that means.

Labiodentals are consonants articulated with the lower lip and the upper teeth.
Dentolabial consonants are consonants articulated with the lower teeth against the upper lip, the reverse of labiodental consonants.

labial means with lips, but "plosive" means that the sound is also made with a blast of air.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
May 21st, 2012 at 7:49:06 AM permalink

It was the best time of my life, literally (no apologies to Ms Gale). But it's "Estados Unidos Mexicanos." Not that anyone bothers with the term. It's the official name, yes, but even some official documents say México.

You're right! I never knew that. That will make for a good trivia question.

I'm glad you had a good time.

Thanks for all the help with apoderar. No follow up questions from me, which means everyone did a good job with the follow up, not that I don't appreciate the help. This bears repeating once in a while.

Quote:

BTW, is it MacLeod or McLoud?

It is MacLeod.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 21st, 2012 at 8:01:39 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You're right! I never knew that. That will make for a good trivia question.

Evidently you didn't take a good look at my passport. It has the country's official name on the cover, and then again on the photo and info page.

But if you want more obscure information on Mexico, I can provide plenty. Like how many administrative subdivisions there are in el Distrito Federal.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 21st, 2012 at 8:46:00 AM permalink

Evidently you didn't take a good look at my passport. It has the country's official name on the cover, and then again on the photo and info page.

But if you want more obscure information on Mexico, I can provide plenty. Like how many administrative subdivisions there are in el Distrito Federal.

You're right, I just assumed it said Estados Unidos de México. I'll respectfully decline on the Mexican bureaucracy lesson.

Fecha: 28-05-12
Palabra: bala

Today's SWD means bullet. A couple related words are cartucho (cartridge) (note: corrected) and disparar (shoot/fire).

Ejemplo time.

No te preocupes por los agujeros de bala en la pared; por lo general soy una buena disparista. = Don't worry about the bullet holes in the wall; I'm usually a good shot.
Nareed
Nareed
May 21st, 2012 at 9:15:30 AM permalink

Today's SWD means bullet. A couple related words are carcucho (cartridge) and disparar (shoot/fire).

That's "carTucho." Another associated word, thought archaic by now and not often seen, is "parque," which is mistakenly used to mean "ammunition." It actually means the place where ammunition is kept. It also means "park" as in an open space with trees and grass, or an amusement or theme park.

Oh, the word for "ammunition" is "municiones." Although the word is often used to mean "pellets" as in the round pellets shot from an air gun. IN fact, air guns are often called "pistolas/rifles de municiones."

Quote:

No te preocupes por los agujeros de bala en la pared; por lo general soy una buena disparista. = Don't worry about the bullet holes in the wall; I'm usually a good shot.

"Shot" is a word without a good translation. I'd go with "... por lo general tengo buena puntería," or "por lo general tengo buen tino." This means "I usually hit what I aim at," more or less. The probllem is that, conversely, there are no good translations for "punteria" or "tino."

BTW, you used the female form when saying "...soy una buena..." I wonder if that was what you meant to say.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 21st, 2012 at 9:26:22 AM permalink
Thanks. That is funny that the same word would be a place where kids play, and where ammunition is stored.

Quote:

BTW, you used the female form when saying "...soy una buena..." I wonder if that was what you meant to say.

Nooooooooooooooooo, it wasn't. You know I have a bad habit of not matching my adjectives to the gender of the object they describe. What probably went through my head was the "a" at the end of disparista, so I instinctively matched it with an adjective ending in a.
Nareed
Nareed
May 21st, 2012 at 9:48:20 AM permalink

Nooooooooooooooooo, it wasn't.

You could have said it was Annie Oakley speaking, silly ;)

Quote:

You know I have a bad habit of not matching my adjectives to the gender of the object they describe. What probably went through my head was the "a" at the end of disparista, so I instinctively matched it with an adjective ending in a.

That one can trip up even native speakers, though rarely. The suffixes for occupations usually carry a gender connotation, but not always. For example, "maestro" is male while "maestra" is female. One that's come into use recently, but not widely, is "barista," which means the same thing as in English. The "a" ending carries a strong female connotation, but it's really neutral. That's why I think it hasn't caught on, and people will more often say "la persona que hace el café."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 21st, 2012 at 9:56:42 AM permalink
On a related note, it is my understanding that gata is a female cat, and perra is a female dog. However, most animals don't have similar gender pairs. For example, a female horse is still a caballo. At least I think it is. What other animals can have both the a and o endings to differentiate the gender?
Nareed
Nareed
May 21st, 2012 at 10:10:20 AM permalink

On a related note, it is my understanding that gata is a female cat, and perra is a female dog. However, most animals don't have similar gender pairs. For example, a female horse is still a caballo. At least I think it is. What other animals can have both the a and o endings to differentiate the gender?

Well, the naming of animals was more important in the past. These days I'd say domestic pets are the focus of most people when ti comes to animals, and in particular it's important to know the sex of cats and dogs.

Anyway, "caballo" is the generic name for hosre. But a female one is called "yegua" and a male is called "potro." I think these correspond in English to "mare" and "colt." When it come to chickens, the general term is "pollo," but male is "gallo" and female is "gallina," which in English would be "rooster" and "hen." For bovines, "vaca" means cow and "toro" means bull. There's no generic, neutral term, but when speaking of beef, the word used is "vaca."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 21st, 2012 at 9:38:17 PM permalink

Some colorful expressions.

ahorró unas perras
no tener una perra
el niño cogió una perra
está con la perra de comprárselo
le cogió la perra de ir a México
¡ qué perra vida !
! ¡qué perro más feo!

• Jump to: