Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 13th, 2012 at 6:33:29 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I should probably leave the advanced readers to explain it better.

I'll go by usage, which in the end is most useful.

Any Mexican understands the command "lárgate," as meaning "go away." Few would know there si an infinitive form of the verb. It's just out of mind, so most people don't even think of it.

So, as I said, it's used for telling people forcefully to go away. It's also applied to the speaker who's leaving or has left some place, for example you could say "me largo" at the office when you're leaving. It's not formal Spanish, but it's used that way.

It's seldom used to describe what a third person did. You can say "y entonces se largó de ahí," but you won't encoutner that often.

And while the dictionary gives it mroe definitions, it's used exclusively as meaning "to leave" or "to go away."

So:
Quote:

Ella siempre me largó su trabjo sucio, y yo siempre lo hico, porque ella esta bonita. = She always gives me her dirty work, and I always do it because she is pretty.

I'll just go with a straight correction: "Ella siempre me dejaba su trabajo sucio, y yo siempre lo hicE porque ella es bonita."

I know you ahve trouble with "ser" y "estar." This case gives me a good contrast.

Ella es bonita = She's pretty
Ella está bonita = She's being pretty

And let's leave it at that.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
April 13th, 2012 at 6:37:46 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

BTW: In English "large" is a Latin word, and "long" is an Anglo Saxon word. In Spanish the adjective "largo" primarily is the same as English "large" , but it also includes some of the meanings of the English word "length"

In Spanish "largo" means "long."

Example, "Hay un largo camino por recorrer" = "There's a long road yet to travel."

You may recall the character Lurch from The Addam's Family. In Spanish he was named "Largo" becasue he was very tall.

The Spanish term for "large" is "grande." It also means big. But when ordering a large soda, for instance, you ask for "un refresco grande." When confrotned with a large task, you're facing "un gran trabajo." And so on.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
April 13th, 2012 at 6:50:41 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Ella es bonita = She's pretty
Ella está bonita = She's being pretty

Thanks. I'm not questioning that, but I went with estar because I thought that "Ella es bonita" would mean she is permanently pretty. What if she is 19 now. She may not look as good when you reverse the digits and she is 91.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
April 13th, 2012 at 6:53:14 AM permalink

Thanks. I'm not questioning that, but I went with estar because I thought that "Ella es bonita" would mean she is permanently pretty. What if she is 19 now. She may not look as good when you reverse the digits and she is 91.

It depends, how old do you plan to be then? :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 13th, 2012 at 7:28:43 AM permalink

It depends, how old do you plan to be then? :)

So, I'll be 118 when she turns 91, which I suppose she will still be a perky young lass, by comparison to me at least.
Nareed
Nareed
April 13th, 2012 at 7:36:32 AM permalink

So, I'll be 118 when she turns 91, which I suppose she will still be a perky young lass, by comparison to me at least.

So, let's revisit the question in your 115th birthday (don't forget!)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 13th, 2012 at 8:05:14 AM permalink

I know I've written this comment a bunch of times before, but the traditional way of teaching ser/estar as permanent/transitory state can be misleading. Ser is associated with "essential, essence", and estar with "state, stage, and station".

You don't mean to say she is "being pretty" by the way she is acting or with her dance routine. You mean that she is essentially a pretty girl. But "essential" is not the same as permanent. She may or not be pretty after decades of hard living.

In the same way you want to use "ser" if you are saying someone is a teacher, student, businessman, or politician. These professions are not permanent.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 14th, 2012 at 5:40:38 AM permalink
Fecha: 14 de April, 2012
Palabra: Párvulo/a

Today's SWD means a child, especially a young one, perhaps even "infant." I'm not exactly sure what age range it is supposed to refer to.

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast párvulo to niño, chico and infante.

Ejemplo time.

Mi profesión es que agarrar los párvulos en un campo de centeno. = My occupation is to catch children in a field of rye.
Nareed
Nareed
April 14th, 2012 at 6:26:24 AM permalink

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast párvulo to niño, chico and infante.

Oh, it's simple. People actually use the words "niño," "chico" and "infante." "Párvulo" is a kind of highfalutin word.

Quote:

Mi profesión es que agarrar los párvulos en un campo de centeno. = My occupation is to catch children in a field of rye.

"My profession is what to grab children...." :)

I think you're using some kind of allusion, because catching children on a field of rye doesn't make much sense to me. Anyway:

"Mi ocupación es atrapar a los párvulos...."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 14th, 2012 at 6:45:04 AM permalink

I think you're using some kind of allusion, because catching children on a field of rye doesn't make much sense to me.

"Mi ocupación es atrapar a los párvulos...."

The novel is a famous post WWII work that most of us read in school. It's a little highfalutin so "párvulos" might be appropriate. The character in the novel says he got the title from a folk tune.

The title is usually translated as Guardian Entre El Centeno

• Jump to: