Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
April 10th, 2012 at 10:08:36 AM permalink
Thanks for the above Paco. No further comment on that.

On another topic, how would this sentence be translated:

Pero una vez más ... mi gozo en un pozo.

Literally I would translate that as "But once more ... my happiness was in a well." However, I'm sure there is some figure of speech at play. It is clear from the context of the story that the main character was having a bad day.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
April 10th, 2012 at 10:36:31 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I would translate that as "But once more ... my happiness was in a well." However, I'm sure there is some figure of speech at play. It is clear from the context of the story that the main character was having a bad day.

Sounds similar to the English expression "down in the dumps."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 10th, 2012 at 10:51:30 AM permalink

On another topic, how would this sentence be translated:

Pero una vez más ... mi gozo en un pozo.

Literally I would translate that as "But once more ... my happiness was in a well." However, I'm sure there is some figure of speech at play. It is clear from the context of the story that the main character was having a bad day.

Do you know how gratifying it is to have a bright students Don't blush. You did exactly right trying to infer meaning from context. Context is all-important when it comes to understanding a language. The literal meaning is also right.

But it is a figure of speech. It denotes disappointment or sadness.

Doc gets a "well done," too.

Oh, I'd need to see the whole context to offer an accurate translation. But in general, or in the abstract, I'd go with something like "Once again it was not to be." or "Once more I wound up being disappointed."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 11:23:29 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Do you know how gratifying it is to have a bright students Don't blush.

Who is this other student you're tutoring? I'm jealous.

But it is a figure of speech. It denotes disappointment or sadness.

Yes, I figured that. I'm more interested in what the happiness is doing in the well in the first place? How did it get there and why doesn't somebody use the bucket to try to fish it out?

Oh, I'd need to see the whole context to offer an accurate translation. But in general, or in the abstract, I'd go with something like "Once again it was not to be." or "Once more I wound up being disappointed."

That is I'm sure the meaning the writer intended. The whole chapter took place on Christmas, in which the main character got only a few lousy gifts, while his brother and friend got great stuff. He made the pozo en en mozo comment when a friend had a big build-up to his gift, which turned out to be something he didn't want, and had to put on a fake show of gratitude.

By the way, the English version says "But once again, I let my hopes get too high." As I wrote before, the translator puts more of an emphasis on capturing the general feeling of the story, rather than an accurate word for word translation. I assume there is no direct idiom in Spanish for "high hopes."
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 11:54:24 AM permalink

Who is this other student you're tutoring? I'm jealous.

Doc seems to be interested :)

Quote:

Yes, I figured that. I'm more interested in what the happiness is doing in the well in the first place? How did it get there and why doesn't somebody use the bucket to try to fish it out?

Have you ever seen an actual well with the circular stone walls and a bucket on a winch? Me neither. I imagine the imagery conveys joy being inaccessible.

Quote:

By the way, the English version says "But once again, I let my hopes get too high." As I wrote before, the translator puts more of an emphasis on capturing the general feeling of the story, rather than an accurate word for word translation. I assume there is no direct idiom in Spanish for "high hopes."

From what you say I woudl have done it differently, but it isn't so bad.

I'd translate "high hopes" as "grandes esperanzas," literally. It can also be "grandes expectativas," or just "esperaba demasiado."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2012 at 12:15:10 PM permalink

I'd translate "high hopes" as "grandes esperanzas," literally. It can also be "grandes expectativas," or just "esperaba demasiado."

The book is supposed to be the diary of a kid about 10-years-old, and is supposed to be funny. Somehow I think that grandes esperanzas sounds kind of lofty for a 10-year-old boy.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 10th, 2012 at 12:34:55 PM permalink

The book is supposed to be the diary of a kid about 10-years-old, and is supposed to be funny. Somehow I think that grandes esperanzas sounds kind of lofty for a 10-year-old boy.

Looks like something every 10 year old boy wants.
Nareed
Nareed
April 10th, 2012 at 12:56:37 PM permalink

Yes. On the other hand, children in such books use a vocabulary no real child would ever use. Anyway, that's why I added "esperaba demasiado," to my other post.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 10th, 2012 at 2:08:23 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Looks like something every 10 year old boy wants.

Great Expectations. Charles Dickens.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 10th, 2012 at 5:09:30 PM permalink

Yes. On the other hand, children in such books use a vocabulary no real child would ever use. Anyway, that's why I added "esperaba demasiado," to my other post.

Odio el canto llama esperaba demasiadol.

• Jump to: