Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:02:06 AM permalink
Fecha: 3 de April, 2012
Palabra: telón

Sorry to interrupt, but it is a new day. This is a pretty easy one. Today's SWD means curtain. "I thought cortina was the word for curtain," you might say. I think that telón means a theater curtain. It may also apply to expressions like the Iron Curtain.

Ejemplo time.

Cuando el telón subió yo tuve un pánico escénico y no podía recordar mis diálogos. = When the curtain went up I got stage fright and couldn't remember my lines.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:12:14 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Sorry to interrupt, but it is a new day. This is a pretty easy one. Today's SWD means curtain. "I thought cortina was the word for curtain," you might say. I think that telón means a theater curtain. It may also apply to expressions like the Iron Curtain.

As far as I know, "telón" only means the curtain that hides a theater stage, or, if you can recall that far back, the curtain that covers a movie screen (no one does that anymore).

The Spaniards might ahve referred to the Iron Curtain as "Telón de Hierro," but here it was known as "La cortina de hierro." The Steeler's defense, BTW, was "la cortina de acero."

The word "telón" could be a sueprlative of "tela" which means fabric. The suffix "on/ona" often indicates something big or large. In this case it would indicate a very large piece of fabric.

Quote:

Cuando el telón subió yo tuve un pánico escénico y no podía recordar mis diálogos. = When the curtain went up I got stage fright and couldn't remember my lines.

I'd get rid of the "yo" in there, but even so it is right.

That's two in a row. What gives? ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:17:12 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

(1) When would you use the phrase "a la hora de" instead of something simpler like "cuando"? Would I translate this phrase as "when" or something more literal?

"Cuando" means "when." "A la hora de," means "when it's time to" or "when it comes to." Remember a word can be translated more simply than a phrase.

Quote:

(2) The verb "seguir" means "to follow", but "conseguir" means "to get". Is that correct?

Yes.

Quote:

But usually the prefix con- means "with", like console means "with solace", and consonant means "with sound" (sonorous).

I am not sure why conseguir means to get, and why wouldn't you use a different word that means "to get". Is there something special about this topic?

I don't know. It could be that the word sounds as though it is another word with a prefix, but it isn't.

Quote:

(3) The phrase " blancos a los que apuntar" sounds demeaning. The term "blancos" would normally be "white", but in this case it seems to mean "target". That definition is unexpected.

"Blanco" can mean "white" and "target," yes. "Blancos" means "linens" as in sheets and pillowcases.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:30:21 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'd get rid of the "yo" in there, but even so it is right.

That's two in a row. What gives? ;)

I normally don't like to use a lot of "yo"s, which I think is think is indicative of newbie Spanish. However, I made an exception in this case because I didn't want to have to conjugated verbs next to each other, in this case "subió tuve." Maybe a comma would have made the break better, I think in retrospect. I also thought you could use a "yo" for emphasis, which I was also trying for.

Regarding the two for two, just suerte beuna.
Nareed
Nareed
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:40:48 AM permalink

I normally don't like to use a lot of "yo"s, which I think is think is indicative of newbie Spanish. However, I made an exception in this case because I didn't want to have to conjugated verbs next to each other, in this case "subió tuve."

It's partly habit and partly preference. Some people never say "yo" even when they should. Overall ther eis a tendency to leave out pronouns when they aren't necessary. I don't say people think whether a pronoun is needed or not and then decide accordingly, but rather that's the habit people pick up over their lives.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with the sentence. There wouldn't have been anything wrong, either, had you said "cuando el telón subió tuve pánico....", or for that matter "cuando subió el telón tuve pánico...."

Quote:

Regarding the two for two, just suerte beuna.

Typo aside, it's "buena suerte."

You did that on purpose, of course.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:33:54 PM permalink
Fecha: 4 de April, 2012
Palabra: Estropear

Today's SWD primarily means to ruin. The dictionary lists other related meanings, like break, spoil, and damage. In the context I found it the word referred to somebody ruining (estropeando) somebody else's chance at fame.

I can't think of any questions, so the advanced readers are off the hook today, except to clean up after my mistakes, as usual.

Ejemplo time.

Estropeé el mole porque puse demasiada mucha sal. = I ruined the mole because I put in too much salt.
Nareed
Nareed
April 4th, 2012 at 6:34:13 AM permalink

Today's SWD primarily means to ruin. The dictionary lists other related meanings, like break, spoil, and damage. In the context I found it the word referred to somebody ruining (estropeando) somebody else's chance at fame.

It means to ruin, to break, to spoil, to damage, to render useless or worthless, etc.

Quote:

Estropeé el mole porque puse demasiada mucha sal. = I ruined the mole because I put in too much salt.

Close. I think we've gone through this recently. "demasiada mucha" is like saying "many too much." Both words mean almost the same thing, except "demasiado/a" gets used in a few ways where "mucho/a" is not. In any case, pick one and only one per sentence.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 4th, 2012 at 7:21:56 AM permalink
Quote: Vince Foster (before his suicide on July 20, 1993)

Here, ruining people is considered sport.

Vince Foster was a Deputy White House Counsel during the first few months of President Bill Clinton's administration, and also a law partner and friend of Hillary Rodham Clinton. His suicide only a few months after President Clinton's inauguration made the above quote briefly famous. The Shakespeare Company in Washington DC placed it prominently on the stage set for Macbeth later that year.

Google translates the sentence as
Aquí, la gente arruinando es considerado un deporte.

Nareed, which is the best verb to use when translating the sentence?
Nareed
Nareed
April 4th, 2012 at 7:40:45 AM permalink

Aquí, la gente arruinando es considerado un deporte.

Nareed, which is the best verb to use when translating the sentence?

Arruinar. Estropear applies more to things than to people. BTW: "Aquí, arruinar a la gente es considerado un deporte"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
April 4th, 2012 at 7:52:01 AM permalink

Vince Foster was a Deputy White House Counsel during the first few months of President Bill Clinton's administration, and also a law partner and friend of Hillary Rodham Clinton.

And my classmate at Davidson.

• Jump to: