Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
March 18th, 2012 at 7:30:20 PM permalink
Wizard, regarding your occasional misuse of Spanish, you may be happy to know I found someone who tops you. I'm looking up my Vegas trip and one source is Expedia's Spanish site (no particular reason save curiosity). Nominally it's expedia.mx, meaning it's based in or meant for Mexico.

So when looking at the hotel info, there's a heading that says "Restauración." It holds a list of restaurants and other food choices at the hotel. :)

My guess is they translate info from the main site in English...

Another interesting bit is they do offer flights by Volaris, while the English site does not. Odd.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
March 18th, 2012 at 7:45:52 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

So when looking at the hotel info, there's a heading that says "Restauración." It holds a list of restaurants and other food choices at the hotel. :) My guess is they translate info from the main site in English... Another interesting bit is they do offer flights by Volaris, while the English site does not. Odd.



The dictionary lists restaurante as a restaurant, and servicio de restauración as "food service". So it is possible for a machine translation to not translate the word as "restoration". Still you would think that with 50 million Spanish speakers, you could hire one for a travel site that was geared at Mexico.

As to your second question Southwest's business policy is never to offer their fares on 3rd party websites. My guess is that Volaris agreed to advertise only on the SW web site (for English) as part of the Southwest/Volaris partnership.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
March 18th, 2012 at 9:27:03 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Wizard, regarding your occasional misuse of Spanish, you may be happy to know I found someone who tops you...



At least I'm better than somebody. Actually, I would be proud to be better than an online translator.

Fecha: 12 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Pecar


Today's SWD is one our FrG wold be familiar with. It means to sin or merit punishment. A related would would be castigar, which would be to give a punishment. The word for a sin (noun) is pecado, which is also the past participle (sinned).

Ejemplo time.

Perdonarme Padre, porque he pecado. Yo robé los señales de posadas les dicen "por favor, no molestarme." = Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I stole the hotel signs that say "Please don't disturb."
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7105
March 18th, 2012 at 9:29:45 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

...

Fecha: 12 de Marzo, 2012



I know we are in different time zones, but ....
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
March 19th, 2012 at 5:30:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

At least I'm better than somebody. Actually, I would be proud to be better than an online translator.



You can't be worse, trust me. But I did think actual people checked the tranlsations the amchines make. they've along way to go still.

Quote:

Perdonarme Padre, porque he pecado.



That's perfect.

Quote:

Yo robé los señales de posadas les dicen "por favor, no molestarme."



Tell me a machine did that, please...

"Me robé letreros de algunos hoteles que dicen 'Favor de no molestar'. "
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
March 19th, 2012 at 5:43:37 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Tell me a machine did that, please...



"Me robé letreros de algunos hoteles que dicen 'Favor de no molestar'. "



Nope.

I didn't put Me robé, because I would take that to mean I stole from myself. As for "signs" I wasn't sure whether to use letreros or señales. Somehow I thought I saw señal being used to mean sign before. I've never seen favor without the por, so I don't see why that is right.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
March 19th, 2012 at 6:10:48 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I didn't put Me robé, because I would take that to mean I stole from myself.



It works that way only with intransitive verbs. For example, if you fell, you'd say "me caí." With transitive verbs you must indicate the object in question. So "me robé los letreros" means "I stole the signs."

Quote:

As for "signs" I wasn't sure whether to use letreros or señales. Somehow I thought I saw señal being used to mean sign before.



It means sign but not as in a street sign. If you prayed to a god for a sign, you would say "dios, dame una señal."

But with usage it gets complicated. If I were to hire you to set up the signage in a casino, in Spanish I'd say "te quiero contratar para que hagas la señalización de mi casino."

Quote:

I've never seen favor without the por, so I don't see why that is right.



Oh, it's quite common. And having stayed in many hotels in Mexico, I can assure you the door sign says "favor de no molestar" 9 times out of ten.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23426
March 19th, 2012 at 6:41:47 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It works that way only with intransitive verbs. For example, if you fell, you'd say "me caí." With transitive verbs you must indicate the object in question. So "me robé los letreros" means "I stole the signs."



Thanks. This is an area I still have difficulty with. I can see how robar is transitive, because you have to steal something (in this case, the sign), but I don't see why that necessitates the me. This is probably beyond the scope of what can be explained in a post. Perhaps we can suspend this until I cash in on one of my Spanish lessons. Until then, I still would interpret me robé as I stole from myself. Me caí does not bother me as much, because I'm the victim when I fall.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
March 19th, 2012 at 7:39:36 AM permalink
Personal pronoun list

The pronoun me is both for direct objects, indirect objects, and reflexive objects.



It's still not clear when you use robar, and when you use atracar

atracar transitive verb
: to hold up, to rob, to mug
atracarse reflexive verb
familiar atracarse de
: to gorge oneself with
FrGamble
FrGamble
Joined: Jun 5, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 790
March 19th, 2012 at 8:00:04 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard


Today's SWD is one our FrG wold be familiar with. It means to sin or merit punishment.



You are right I am unfortunately familiar with that word. Oh wait, did you mean the definition is what I'm familiar with...I've said too much.

Actually this is a very appropriate word for me to learn in Spanish as the Confession season is really heating up. I have three huge penance services this week and literally thousands of Catholics always come out of the woodwork to go to Confession before Easter. Every once and a while someone will confess in Spanish and begin exactly as you began the ejemplo. We have a shortage of Spanish speaking priests in our area. Anyway I will patiently listen, give a light penance, and give absolution in English. Now that I think about it I should learn some more Spanish words for big sins so I'm not giving out a Hail Mary for murder. Peace.

yo quiero Taco Bell.

  • Jump to: