Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 11th, 2012 at 11:01:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Fecha: 11 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: pila

Today's SWD means battery, as in the kind that supplies electricity.

This should not be confused with batería, which is still means battery, but the kind meaning a lot of something. For example, the doctor ordered a batería of tests.

A question for the advanced readers, perhaps in science, is what is the difference between a battery and a pile (as in voltaic pile), and is the Spanish pila related to the English pile.

Benjamin Franklin first used the battery to describe an Electrochemical cell in the 18th century (Alessandro Volta was age 3 at the time). Ben seems to have taken it from the military meaning of the word. The Voltaic pile was invented a half a century later Alessandro.

My understanding is the battery has been adopted in Spanish as a synonym for pile.

And yes, the English and Spanish word are cognates.

AA is 60% of sales, and AAA is 24% of sales in the US. Type D is 8%, but Type C is only 4%
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
March 11th, 2012 at 11:07:13 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

AA is 60% of sales, and AAA is 24% of sales in the US. Type D is 8%, but Type C is only 4%

What I wrote is true, by the way. I've got a whole Costco pack of C batteries, and nothing to put them in. It seems everything takes AA and AAA these days. I don't think I have much use for the D batteries either.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 12th, 2012 at 7:21:08 AM permalink
Fecha: 12 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Conseguir

Today's SWD is a common one. It means to get/achieve/obtain.

A question for the advanced readers (and my main reason for the post) is what is the difference between conseguir y lograr?

Ejemplo time.

Estamos novios por seis meses. ¿No crees que debemos conseguir el segundo paso por ahora? = We've been dating for six months. Don't you think we should be at second base by now?

Note: I didn't know how to say "base" (as in baseball) in Spanish. Probably just "base," but I hate to be wrong and look like I'm just lazy using an English word.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 12th, 2012 at 7:50:05 AM permalink

A question for the advanced readers (and my main reason for the post) is what is the difference between conseguir y lograr?

The two words are very similar in meaning. From the DRAE

lograr= conseguir lo que se intenta o desea
conseguir= lograr lo que se pretende o desea.

An English cognate to lograr is the noun lucre which means money, especially when regarded as sordid or distasteful or gained in a dishonorable way. The word is most often used in the phrase "filthy lucre".

So I think of conseguir as a loftier "achieve what you want", and lograr as "get what you want".
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 12th, 2012 at 1:38:08 PM permalink

Today's SWD is a common one. It means to get/achieve/obtain.

"Conseguir" is applied to "to get" and "to obtain" to a higher degree than "to achieve." "Lograr" is applied to "to achieve" almost exclusively.

Quote:

Estamos novios por seis meses. ¿No crees que debemos conseguir el segundo paso por ahora? = We've been dating for six months. Don't you think we should be at second base by now?

Note: I didn't know how to say "base" (as in baseball) in Spanish. Probably just "base," but I hate to be wrong and look like I'm just lazy using an English word.

The Spanish word for "base" is "base" ;P Only with Spanish pronunciation. In baseball, too. A walk to first base after the pitcher throws four balls is called "base por bolas."

Anyway, you chose a bad example. Your own original in English makes no use of the word you're trying to illustrate. So:

"Hemos sido novios por seis meses. ¿No crees que ya deberiamos pasar a segunda base?" that's the literal translation, and any women who doesn't know English would look at youa s if you were speaking Mandarin <g>. The problem is I can't think of a better translation, seeing as I am not sure what second base entails, kissing? making out? full frontal nudity?

I'll give you an example of "conseguir" instead:

"No fué fácil conseguir las muestras para este cliente." "The samples for this client were hard to obtain," or "It wasn't easy to obtain the samples for this client." The first variation is more natural, IMO, the second more literal.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 12th, 2012 at 3:00:05 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

"Conseguir" is applied to "to get" and "to obtain" to a higher degree than "to achieve." "Lograr" is applied to "to achieve" almost exclusively.

So, when you look at this poster from PEP Net (who has no Latinos on their staff), would you guess that the poster was written by someone who speaks Spanish as a second language?

It's pretty obvious whoever wrote this song speaks English as a second language. The picture should be clear enough, but maybe the Chinese thought some people would interpret it as a sign to tell the birds not to eat here.

Nareed
Nareed
March 12th, 2012 at 3:08:14 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

So, when you look at this poster from PEP Net (who has no Latinos on their staff), would you guess that the poster was written by someone who speaks Spanish as a second language?

Maybe. Then again those who learn a language can be more meticulous about its use than native speakers.

Quote:

It's pretty obvious whoever wrote this song speaks English as a second language.

I think that person speaks Broken English ;)

I looked at the signs at the embassy today for faulty translations, but everything was ok.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
March 12th, 2012 at 4:42:10 PM permalink

The problem is I can't think of a better translation, seeing as I am not sure what second base entails, kissing? making out? full frontal nudity?

There isn't uniform agreement, but here is my understanding:

First: kissing
Second: touching above the waist
Third: touching below the waist
Home run: Obvious

I chose conseguir because it seems that I thought the word "at" implied having achieved a certain place physically after six months of dating.
Nareed
Nareed
March 12th, 2012 at 4:47:46 PM permalink

There isn't uniform agreement, but here is my understanding:

Well, that hardly makes the job easier. There just isn't a ranking, or milestones, or anything like that in the local culture. People are more reserved about relationships, too.

But you remind me of a funny/dirty bit on Babylon 5, where a shy, awkward Centauri is asking a human for advice. he says "I've never gotten past one." naturally the human replies "You mean first base, don't you?" The Centauri says "No. You see, we have six, uh, ah... We have six. I've never gotten past one."

Quote:

I chose conseguir because it seems that I thought the word "at" implied having achieved a certain place physically after six months of dating.

Well, you could use it as in "Conseguí llegar a segunda base con ella." But you wouldn't use the word talking to her about it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 12th, 2012 at 5:39:35 PM permalink

But you remind me of a funny/dirty bit on Babylon 5, where a shy, awkward Centauri is asking a human for advice. he says "I've never gotten past one." naturally the human replies "You mean first base, don't you?" The Centauri says "No. You see, we have six, uh, ah... We have six. I've never gotten past one."

It's like you are trilingual. English, Spanish, and something else.
We have six

• Jump to: