Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
February 29th, 2012 at 9:58:40 PM permalink
Fecha: 1 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Espabilar

Thanks for all the help with maldecir, but I think we've beaten that word pretty well.

Today's SWD means to wake up. Until now, the only word I knew for wake up was despertar. However, life would be too easy if there were just one word for something.

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference, if any, between despertar y espalibar.

Ejemplo time.

Espalibé temprano por que hay un guisante abajo de mí colchón. = I woke up early because there was a pea under my mattress.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 29th, 2012 at 10:31:16 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Fecha: 1 de Marzo, 2012
Palabra: Espabilar

Thanks for all the help with maldecir, but I think we've beaten that word pretty well.

Today's SWD means to wake up. Until now, the only word I knew for wake up was despertar. However, life would be too easy if there were just one word for something.

A question for the advanced readers is what is the difference, if any, between despertar y espalibar.

Ejemplo time.

Espalibé temprano por que hay un guisante abajo de mí colchón. = I woke up early because there was a pea under my mattress.

Hard to say. DRAE does not list them as synonyms, but other places list all four word words as synonyms despertar, espabilar, despabilar, desadormecer.

I think espabilar is more like estimular, vigorizar, or energizar where some outside force wakes you up. You would be more likely to use espabilar if you said that the shy quiet girl woke up her libido and tried to be sexy.

DRAE definitions

despertar : Dejar de dormir (stop sleeping)
espabilar : Salir del sueño (end of dreams)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 1st, 2012 at 10:25:56 AM permalink

Shhh! Odn't jinx the curse! ;)

Quote:

Ok, it means to shake sleep off, while "despertar" means "to wake up." The literal meaning of "espabilar," according to the dictionary, is to cut off the burnt ends of a wick or fuse. It comes from the noun "pabilo," meaning "wick." The word for "fuse," as in a trail of gun-powder or a wick-like fuse, is "mecha." The word for an electrical fuse is "fusible" (Just giving Paco something to think about...)

The word doesn't get much use. Not too long ago, it was common to tell someone obviously tired or distracted "¡Despabílate!" which pretty much means "Look alive!"

Quote:

Hmm. Aside from today's word, in Mexico a pea is called "chícharo," not "guisante." I know the latter is common in Spain and possibly elsewhere, but not here. Also, the fairy tale isn't well-known here.

Other than that, your sentence is fine. Except I'd ahve said "debajo de mi colchón." "Abajo" means "below" and "debajo" means "beneath." As I recall the fairy tale, the pea was beneath the matress, not below it. If that makes sense. BTW "beneath" and "underneath" tripped me up nicely too many a time.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 1st, 2012 at 12:15:38 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Except I'd ahve said "debajo de mi colchón." "Abajo" means "below" and "debajo" means "beneath." As I recall the fairy tale, the pea was beneath the matress, not below it. If that makes sense. BTW "beneath" and "underneath" tripped me up nicely too many a time.

If you tell an American, the money is hidden "in back of the cupboard" he will pull it away from the wall to see if it is taped to the back. If you tell him it is "in the back of the cupboard" he will open the doors and look behind the dishes. If you tell a Brit the same phrases, he will look behind the dishes in both cases.

Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 12:18:41 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

DRAE definitions

despertar : Dejar de dormir (stop sleeping)
espabilar : Salir del sueño (end of dreams)

"Sueño" can mean either dream(s) or sleep. This is a bit complicated, so let's review:

Verb: dormir, to sleep

Noun: sueño, dream or sleep

However, if you want to say you're feeling sleepy, you'd say "tengo sueño."

So, "Salir del sueño" means "to exit sleep," or as I said before, "to shake off sleep."
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 12:27:34 PM permalink

If you tell an American, the money is hidden "in back of the cupboard" he will pull it away from the wall to see if it is taped to the back. If you tell him it is "in the back of the cupboard" he will open the doors and look behind the dishes. If you tell a Brit the same phrases, he will look behind the dishes in both cases.

If we meet, remind me to tell you about the time I tried to get a London cabbie to take me to Pall Mall St.

Anyway, "abajo del colchón" implies some undefined palce below the mattress. "Debajo del colchón," means between the mattress and the bed frame. As i recall, that's the traditional place to stash money, too :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 1st, 2012 at 1:54:49 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

If we meet, remind me to tell you about the time I tried to get a London cabbie to take me to Pall Mall St.

Pall Mall ,on a pronunciación site
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 2:34:14 PM permalink

Pall Mall ,on a pronunciación site

So you know the story. Well, that's one less thing to talk about ;)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
March 1st, 2012 at 3:39:42 PM permalink
Thanks. Good stuff. Not only did I learn about the difference between espabilar y despertar, but also chícharo y guisante and debajo y abajo.

No further comment; I think I get it.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
March 1st, 2012 at 3:44:45 PM permalink

Thanks. Good stuff.

You're welcome.

How did you manage in argentina and Mexico? I know what you wrote in your travelogues, but could you strike up a conversation, say, or follow one?

• Jump to: