Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 11th, 2011 at 4:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'm guessing "cobayo" is either the indigenous name of the critters, or how the Spaniards pronounced the indigenous name. The Spaniards were notorious for mispronouncing beyond recognition, literally (sorry DG), many native anmes. For example, they turned "Huitzilopochco" into "Churubusco."

It probably cam from the Tupi word çabuia. What may have complicated the translation was that the Tupi primarily came into contact with the Portuguese, not the Spanish. So the word may have be a polyglot of both Tupi and Portuguese.

The Ecuadorean (i.e. Quechuan indian) word, cuyes is an Onomatopoeia, like "woof woof" and "moo". The name imitates the sound these animals make.

The custom of dressing them up like little people, and then grilling them afterwards seems particularly barbaric.

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
December 11th, 2011 at 4:43:57 PM permalink
Do the Spanish people here who write such good English,
think in Spanish or in English. I've heard that once you're
thinking in the new language instead of the old one, you've
really accomplished something.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 11th, 2011 at 5:03:17 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The custom of dressing them up like little people, and then grilling them afterwards seems particularly barbaric.

You have a disturbing affinity for gruesome pictures...

Having said that, your average cabrito restaurant in Monterrey an other northern cities will display dead baby goats, headless, being cooked.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1390
December 11th, 2011 at 5:03:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

But they're not pigs.

I forgot to address that. They are called guinea pigs because the sold for one guinea each and squeal like a pig.

Paco, you seem to have a penchant for pictures of food others find disgusting. As a lover of guinea pigs I find the image ... disturbing. Then again, I'm not a vegetarian, so perhaps I'm being a hypocrite to complain about it.

To make matters worse, that guinea pig in the second picture looks like Tuck from the Wonder Pets, which my kids used to enjoy.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 11th, 2011 at 6:34:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Paco, you seem to have a penchant for pictures of food others find disgusting. As a lover of guinea pigs I find the image ... disturbing. Then again, I'm not a vegetarian, so perhaps I'm being a hypocrite to complain about it.

I didn't grow up that way. I wouldn't eat any kind of casserole, or jello. I bought sushi for my mother and she took it home in a doggie bag and cooked it. It's something that I got from traveling around the world.

I was forced to eat some exotic food in 11th grade on a trip to Columbia South America. After a while you tend to seek it out. It can be an obsession. Andrew Zimmern has a whole show about it called Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel. The grilled cuyes are considered the national dish in Ecuador.

I've pretty much gotten over worrying about how a food looks, but certain textures still send me over the edge. I still get violently ill if I try and eat canned peas.

On the episode in Ecuador where he tries the Guinea pig (4th one in the series almost four years ago), Andrew Zimmern also has cow's stomach lining, and heart, lemon ants, piranha, coconut grubs, and chicha (a drink). He also has an empanada, which seems pretty commonplace. Of course, I am not sure what it contained.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
December 11th, 2011 at 6:55:43 PM permalink

I still get violently ill if I try and eat canned peas.

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 11th, 2011 at 7:11:47 PM permalink

I still get violently ill if I try and eat canned peas.

Who doesn't? Most canned vegetables are yucky. The only exceptions I can think offhand are corn kernels and chiles en vinagre.

So, have you tried durian?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 11th, 2011 at 7:29:13 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Gag me with a spoon! I'm serious, just the smell of canned peas makes me dry heave.

I have not tried Durian. Anthony Bourdain, says if you eat durian Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother. which is one of the worst recommendations from a food critic I have ever heard. But I am more willing to try durian than I am to eat canned peas.

Fresh or frozen peas, on the other hand, I love.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
December 11th, 2011 at 7:52:40 PM permalink
Canned beans are good. Everything else tastes like dishwater.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
December 11th, 2011 at 10:36:06 PM permalink
Okay, enough about coballos y guisantes de latas. Time for new palabras lindos y feos del día.

Fea: Zanahoria (carrot)
Linda: Perfectamente (perfectly)

Ejemplo time.

Este zanahoria se cree crece cultiva perfectamente. = This carrot was grown perfectly.

I know I didn't get this one right, but I don't know why, yet.

• Jump to: