Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 11th, 2011 at 5:46:07 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I estimate "lenguaje" comes in second.

The DRAE defines lengüeta (Del dim. de lengua).
1. f. epiglotis.
2. f. Fiel de la balanza, y más propiamente el de la romana.

The second definition seems to say "faithful balance, more properly of the Romans". I feel stupid, because that makes no sense to me.
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 11th, 2011 at 5:46:23 AM permalink

I estimate "lenguaje" comes in second.

1. f. epiglotis.

The second definition seems to say "faithful balance, more properly of the Romans". I feel stupid, because that makes no sense to me.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 11th, 2011 at 6:03:01 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

1. f. epiglotis.

It makes no sense to me, either. But I feel the DRAE people are stupid for putting in such a definition :)

Further investigation reveals that "fiel" used as a noun can mean "the needle in a balance scale," and that "romana" is a type of balance scale. So it's not that stupid. But in an online dictionary, theres hould be a link to "fiel" and "romana" in this case.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 11th, 2011 at 6:53:48 AM permalink

Further investigation reveals that "fiel" used as a noun can mean "the needle in a balance scale," and that "romana" is a type of balance scale.

Wow! I would have never figured that out in a thousand years. So that is a very obscure word. It's like the question: "What is an aglet."

Nareed
Nareed
December 11th, 2011 at 7:03:57 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Wow! I would have never figured that out in a thousand years. So that is a very obscure word. It's like the question: "What is an aglet."

The plastic or metal thingy at the ends of a shoe lace. The Question has been brought up before...

Don't underestimate what you can learn from cartoons :)

BTW the Spanish term for shoelace is "agujeta." You can see the root word is related to "aglet." But "aglet" ins Spanish is "herrete" (I just found that out). The root there is "hierro" meaning "iron."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
December 11th, 2011 at 11:46:31 AM permalink
I knew what an aglet was.

Sorry to change the topic, but I've been meaning to bring this up since I got back from Argentina. Through most of my teenage years I bred guinea pigs. Five generations of them. I'd like to say I had a small business going, selling the babies to pet stores, but I spent a lot more on food than I made from the sales. Many stories of my childhood involve guinea pigs. Once in a while, while torturing somebody with my terrible Spanish, I had the need to say guinea pig. For decades I have not been sure of the correct word for them in Spanish, and I'm still not positive.

My dictionary says the correct term is conejillo de Indias. This is also what my tutor says. However, recall the word for a rabbit is conejo. So conejillo de Indias would mean little Indian rabbit. No, guinea pigs are not rabbits. They are both in the rodent family, but that is as close as they get.

I've heard others call them ratas, but that is the word for rats. A guinea pig is not a rat either, and I'm sure they are insulted at being called that.

So, when walking around Tigre I passed by a tienda de mascotes (pet store). Being the animal lover that I am, I was curious to see what pets Argentine people liked. Low and behold, I saw this:

So, is coballo the correct term? I've never even heard that one before. Like the word for horse, caballo, but with an o instead of an a as the second letter. The word isn't even in my Spanish dictionary.

Strange it would be so hard to get at the answer, as Peru is crawling with the things.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
December 11th, 2011 at 12:47:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My dictionary says the correct term is conejillo de Indias. This is also what my tutor says.

Your tutor is right.

Quote:

However, recall the word for a rabbit is conejo. So conejillo de Indias would mean little Indian rabbit. No, guinea pigs are not rabbits.

All that is so. And all that is irrelevant. A sea horse isn't a horse, either. A butterfly isn't a fly and it doesn't contain butter (ha ha). Fr that matter, a guinea pig isn't a pig.

Quote:

So, when walking around Tigre I passed by a tienda de mascotes (pet store).

Tienda de mascotAs

Quote:

So, is coballo the correct term? I've never even heard that one before.

It might be. I've heard it before. Hamsters are often referred to by that term, too. I mean, it might be a correct term. but overall "conejillo de indias" is the most widely used term.

BTW, the dictionary says it's spelled "cobaYo." The definition is given as "conejillo de indias." :)

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) the species is native to South America. That makes the Spanish name appropriate, as the Americas were known as "las Indias Occidentales."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
December 11th, 2011 at 1:31:28 PM permalink

And all that is irrelevant. A sea horse isn't a horse, either. A butterfly isn't a fly and it doesn't contain butter (ha ha). Fr that matter, a guinea pig isn't a pig.

Fair point. However, a sea horse looks like a horse, at least the neck and the head, a butter fly flies (granted, I don't know there the "butter" part comes from), and as the legend goes, when guinea pigs were imported to England they sold for one guinea each.

By the way, another one of my many unanswered questions is why does a pound sterling equal to 21 guineas. Why not 20? Was there something special about 21? In every currency as you move up in denomination you usually go in ratios of 2 and 5.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 11th, 2011 at 3:01:20 PM permalink

Fair point. However, a sea horse looks like a horse, at least the neck and the head, a butter fly flies (granted, I don't know there the "butter" part comes from), and as the legend goes, when guinea pigs were imported to England they sold for one guinea each.

By the way, another one of my many unanswered questions is why does a pound sterling equal to 21 guineas. Why not 20? Was there something special about 21? In every currency as you move up in denomination you usually go in ratios of 2 and 5.

The pound sterling silver and the gold guinea were commodity money and not fiat money when they originated. As such they floated against one another as the relative values of the metals changed. You may remember from your American history of the huge economic problems as America tried to force a fixed exchange rate between gold and silver, and the real market rate varied. One currency or the other would be widely spurned.

The guinea is a coin that was minted in 1663. It was the first English machine-struck gold coin, originally worth one pound sterling, equal to twenty shillings; but rises in the price of gold caused the value of the guinea to increase, at times to as high as thirty shillings. For the last century of its existence its value was officially fixed at twenty-one shillings. When the UK adopted the gold standard in 1816, guinea became a colloquial term.

Andrew Zimmern eats grilled Cuyes in Ecuador where they are the national dish.
Nareed
Nareed
December 11th, 2011 at 4:21:00 PM permalink

and as the legend goes, when guinea pigs were imported to England they sold for one guinea each.

Maybe. But they're not pigs.

I'm guessing "cobayo" is either the indigenous name of the critters, or how the Spaniards pronounced the indigenous name. The Spaniards were notorious for mispronouncing beyond recognition, literally (sorry DG), many native anmes. For example, they turned "Huitzilopochco" into "Churubusco."

• Jump to: