Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
November 16th, 2011 at 4:22:36 PM permalink
Fecha: 16 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: Yucatan
Palabra: agujero

Today's state is Yucatan, which makes up most of the northern part of the Yucatan peninsula. Speaking of peninsulas, I've always wondered why most of the world's peninsulas go north to south. Yes, I know you can name lots of exceptions, and it depends on how exactly a "peninsula" is defined, but it takes just a look at a globe to see that I have a valid point.

According to Wikipedia, a very large meteor struck the Yucatan 65 million years ago, which caused the dinosaurs to die in the ensuing climate change. The Chicxulub crater actually lays off the coast of Yucatan and was discovered in the last 1970s. The word for crater in Spanish is a cognate: cráter. So, let's make the SWD agujero = hole.

Ejemplo time.

Hice uno agujero en uno jugando Wii Golf = I got a hole in one playing Wii Golf. Yes, the word "golf" is the same in both languages.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 16th, 2011 at 4:34:10 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Ejemplo time.
Hice uno agujero en uno jugando Wii Golf = I got a hole in one playing Wii Golf. Yes, the word "golf" is the same in both languages.

Hice un hoyo en uno jugando golf de Wii I think that "hoyo" is the appropriate noun. I believe an "agujero" is more of a hole you make with a pin.

I am also not sure if "Hice" or "Tengo" is the more commonly used verb. It's possible that both are appropriate, since we can either say "I made a hole in one" or "I got a hole in one".

One thing that I learned is that people often use certain words in pairs. There is not always a good reason, but only people who hear the language all the time get the connection. For instance there is no valid reason we don't have "grocery sacks". It is just as sensible as "grocery bags", but you never hear it that way.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 16th, 2011 at 4:37:47 PM permalink

Ejemplo time.

That's so close I hesitate to say anything... Oh, well. agujero does mean hole, but in golf the holes are called "hoyos." So: "hice un HOYO en uno...."

Golf is the same in both languages. But miniature golf is known as "golfito," which comes out as "little golf;" and that's close enough, too.

What I don't know is the difference between agujero and hoyo. I vaguely recall hearing "agujero" is rather vulgar, but that was long ago. A mouse hole, like those you see in Tom and Jerry cartoons, is called "agujero de ratón."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 16th, 2011 at 4:44:39 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Golf is the same in both languages. But miniature golf is known as "golfito," which comes out as "little golf;" and that's close enough, too.

I think the Wizard meant "Wii" as in Nintendo golf.

Golf stuff for children is marketed as "Wee Golf"

pacomartin
pacomartin
November 16th, 2011 at 4:54:49 PM permalink

I vaguely recall hearing "agujero" is rather vulgar, but that was long ago. A mouse hole, like those you see in Tom and Jerry cartoons, is called "agujero de ratón."

It is not listed in my slang book or in the urban dictionary, but google searches invariably shows up in off color websites.

The DRAE definition keeps talking about pins and pincushions.

agujero.(De aguja).
1. m. Abertura más o menos redondeada en alguna cosa.
2. m. Deuda, falta o pérdida injustificada de dinero en la administración de una entidad.
3. m. Fabricante o vendedor de agujas.
4. m. alfiletero (‖ canuto para alfileres).

alfiletero.
1. m. Especie de canuto pequeño de metal, madera u otra materia, que sirve para tener en él alfileres y agujas.
2. m. acerico (‖ almohadilla para alfileres).

acerico. (Del dim. de *hazero, almohada, y este del lat. vulg. *faciarĭus, de facĭes, cara).
1. m. Almohada pequeña que se pone sobre las otras grandes de la cama para mayor comodidad.
2. m. Almohadilla que sirve para clavar en ella alfileres o agujas.
Nareed
Nareed
November 16th, 2011 at 5:13:32 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think the Wizard meant "Wii" as in Nintendo golf.

Ooops!

Yes, I realize it's a videogame golf.

I was just adding for trivia that miniature golf is not known as "golf en miniatura," but rather as "golfito."

Alfiletero means pin cushion. Aguja is needle, both the sewing kind and those used in record players (if anyone recalls what those are).
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 16th, 2011 at 6:19:40 PM permalink

Alfiletero means pin cushion. Aguja is needle, both the sewing kind and those used in record players (if anyone recalls what those are).

So an agujera is made by an aguja.
Would a "hole in a wall" be "hoya en una pared" or "agujero en una pared"?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 16th, 2011 at 6:27:59 PM permalink
I have heard the expression agujero negro for a black hole. That would seem to go against the idea that agujero is a small hole, like the kind caused by a pin prick. Then again, maybe the source was not clear on the distinction between hoyo y agujero.

About Wii golf, I wrote a post about my actual hole in one about a week ago, and Nareed was kind enough to congratulate me, as I recall. Here is a YouTube video of the game I'm referring to.

About your Wiki link, Paco, that doesn't mention either term, but I enjoyed reading it anyway.
Nareed
Nareed
November 16th, 2011 at 6:43:49 PM permalink

I have heard the expression agujero negro for a black hole. That would seem to go against the idea that agujero is a small hole, like the kind caused by a pin prick.

A black hole is essentially small. The "size" refers to its mass. Or so I've gathered. The next best thing to a black hole is a neutron star, and those are tiny in diameter, for stars.

Quote:

Then again, maybe the source was not clear on the distinction between hoyo y agujero.

I don't think there's a distinction. When the very forgetable Disney movie came out, here it was called "El Hoyo Negro." But as you note it can also be called "agujero negro." For good measure, purists call it "pozo negro." There I disagree, because "pozo" is a well. I think I've heard it called "abismo negro," too, but that's just ridiculous.

It falls as a matter of usage, I guess. Golf holes are called "hoyos," other kinds of holes are called "agujeros." I wouldn't worry about it.

Paco, both are right.

Agujero comes from aguja, but as far as I know it doesn't denote a pinprick.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 16th, 2011 at 6:55:31 PM permalink
Thanks Nareed. While I find such distinctions interesting, it probably a waste of my bandwidth to worry about the difference between hoyo y agujero and cascada y cataratas. Given how bad my Spanish is, I think interchanging such close terms are comparitively forgivable.

Good point about a black hole being small. I was indeed thinking of mass, but holes clearly usually are thought of in size, so mia culpa.

• Jump to: