Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1392
November 6th, 2011 at 9:30:22 PM permalink
Fecha: 7 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: San Luis Potosí
Palabras: Pozo

The only thing I'm going to say about the geography of SLP is that the shape looks like a Scotty (Scottish terrier).

Today's SWD comes from a city in SLP called Pozo de Luna = Well of the moon. Pozo can also mean shaft.

Ejemplo time.

Después lanzando una moneda en el pozo di un deseo por paz del mundo. = After throwing a coin in the well I gave a wish for world peace.

Doubt: Perhaps I should have used echar instead of lanzar.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 7th, 2011 at 5:57:49 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Después lanzando una moneda en el pozo di un deseo por paz del mundo. = After throwing a coin in the well I gave a wish for world peace.

"Después de lanzar una moneda en el pozo que me dio un deseo"

de paz mundial

Normally you would want "world" to be an adjective. I suppose "peace of the world" works, but I don't think it is the first choice.

Tirar is another verb that means "to fling". I think "echear" is more what you would do with a fishing pole, but I could be wrong.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 7th, 2011 at 6:57:54 AM permalink

Hm. the conjugation is all wrong. It's "despues de lanzar una moneda..." The rest is more problematic. You do not "give" wishes. You wish wishes, or you make wishes. Giving them sounds more like you can grant them. So you'd be a lto clearer saying "PEDÍ un deseo por LA paz del mundo." Or "HICE un deseo..."

Quote:

It's ambiguous enough for both to work. Also "tirar."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
November 7th, 2011 at 6:59:45 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

de paz mundial

That's very perceptive, señor. But the Wizard's phrasing is accurate. Yours would be more commonly used.

Quote:

Tirar is another verb that means "to fling". I think "echear" is more what you would do with a fishing pole, but I could be wrong.

I've no idea what you'd do with a caña de pescar.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 7th, 2011 at 7:08:52 AM permalink

Not to say you're wrong, but look at the 1:17 point of the video. The caption says "Mas mujeres optan por no usar calzones." It would seem the video editor has a different opinion that yours. I did not see one close-up of a man's cola the entire clip.

My Spanish tutor warned me that Telemundo and Univision butcher the Spanish language all the time.

This "unisex" use of calzon parallels the English use of "underwear" to denote women's briefs. Advertising doesn't use the term "panties" to describe women's underwear as much as people do in conversation. I suspect the Spanish is attempting something similarly dignifying.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
November 7th, 2011 at 7:15:42 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That's very perceptive, señor. But the Wizard's phrasing is accurate. Yours would be more commonly used.

Cana de pescar (N.B. I don't know how to generate tildes - Please help!) just means "fishing rod".
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
November 7th, 2011 at 7:15:54 AM permalink

Cana de pescar (N.B. I don't know how to generate tildes - Please help!) just means "fishing rod".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1392
November 7th, 2011 at 7:29:14 AM permalink

It's "despues de lanzar una moneda..." The rest is more problematic. You do not "give" wishes. You wish wishes, or you make wishes. Giving them sounds more like you can grant them. So you'd be a lto clearer saying "PEDÍ un deseo por LA paz del mundo." Or "HICE un deseo..."

Why might it not be deseé un deseo?

Quote: NowTheSerpent

I don't know how to generate tildes - Please help!

Hold down the ALT key and enter 164. I still deseo there were an easier way.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 7th, 2011 at 8:05:50 AM permalink

Why might it not be deseé un deseo?

Technically "I desired a desire" is correct English as well, but you would probably not say it.
You would rephrase as some variant "pedir un deseo" as in "to make a wish" in the past tense.

The phrase "¿qué más se puede pedir?" Could be translated as "What more could you wish for?" but is more literally "What more could you want?"
Nareed
Nareed
November 7th, 2011 at 8:08:16 AM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

1) try pressing alt-164 (without the dash) for lower case, and alt-165 for upper case

2) I know what a fishing rod is. I don't know what the term in Spanish is for casting a line with one. Sorry for the confussion (and no, I don't fish).

• Jump to: