Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
November 5th, 2011 at 8:24:25 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I also am confused by your comment. Querétaro has a few pyramids, but they are over 500 miles away from the major settlements of the closest Mayan cities. Although there were a number of minor civilizations in Mexico before the conquest, there were 6 significant ones with far reaching empires.

Okay, when it comes to my Mexican geography and history, give me an:

F

Please consider me sitting in the corner, with my back to the class, head slumped over in shame, with a big dunce cap on my head, as I take in your lecture.

As for my requisite sentence, let me get off my high horse and go back to my first Spanish class in junior high: Me gusta la biblioteca.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 5th, 2011 at 12:31:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for all your help.

You're welcome. I'm glad I can help (if indeed I'm helping)

Quote:

I guess my philosophy is that it is a lesser sin to put in a word that doesn't belong than omit one that does.

Ah, my philosophy is that there's no such thing as sin. But that's off topic.

Quote:

I blew the genders again. Why wouldn't it be demasiada, since peña is feminine?

It's hard to say, namely because I don't know. But using "demasiada escarpada" sounds as if there exists too much steep, which of course makes no sense. We need a grammar pro.

Quote:

Then where does me (in Spanish) fit in? I thought of mi more like my or myself.

It's more a kind of conjugation. I'm sorry but again I'm stuck explaining it. When you grow up with a language you just get these things.

The word "myself" has no equivalent in Spanish.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 5th, 2011 at 1:57:48 PM permalink

Me gusta la biblioteca.

Tengo dos bicicletas;
uno dos tres y cuatro
cinco seis siet ocho
nueve diez
no remembro how to say eleven
Me llamo Mike
Me llamo Mike

I suppose having lived there and been pals with archeologists makes you forget that most people have not read about meso-America.

I think from school I remembered that there were Mayans, Aztecs, and Incas and then there was something about an eagle eating a snake.

Probably the most important things to remember are:
(1) Olmecs were the mother civilization, not the Mayans. They left no ruins, only artifacts and giant heads
(2) The culture that built the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon vanished in the 8th century
(3) The Mayan culture was on it's last legs when the Spaniards arrived
(4) The city that would become Mexico City was founded in 1325, and it was far more sophisticated than most (or all) of the cities in Europe
(5) The conquest was in 1520

Before radio-carbon dating it was more difficult to date things. It took a long time until the 19th and early 20th century scientists would concede that the Mayans were not the mother culture. What most people perceived as African features shocked the discoverers of the first giant heads in the 19th century, leading to theories of an African Colombus who had sailed 2000 years before the real Colombus.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 5th, 2011 at 11:03:02 PM permalink
My requisite Spanish sentence last time was not necessarily meant to be an homage to Spanish Mike. It is kind of a joke that in any introductory Spanish class that biblioteca comes up in ejemplos all the time. I gets aburrido talking about libraries all the time.

I never even heard of this theory about an African Columbus. ¡Que interesante! Was this before or after the lost tribe of Israel who buried the gold plates that Joseph Smith dug up?

Bueno, onto new business.

Fecha: 6 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: Quintana Roo
Palabras: Cereza

Today I'm going to try to stay away from Mexican geography and history and stick to Spanish as much as possible. To be hoenst, I couldn't tell you the difference between the Maya and the Aztecs anyway. However, I'll stick my head out and say that Quintana Roo is home to Cancun and, would you believe, another city by the name of Tres Marias?

It was not easy finding a SWD of the day for QR, so I'm going with cereza (cherry), which is the name of a park in Cancun. A related word is cerezo, which means a cherry tree or the wood from a cherry tree. However, hopefully arbol de cereza will still be acceptable, otherwise my ejemplo will get an F. My self-esteem is battered from yesterday, so go easy on me.

Ejemplo time.

No puedo decir una mentira, me corté el árbol de cereza = I am not able to tell a lie, I cut down the cherry tree.
Nareed
Nareed
November 5th, 2011 at 11:13:19 PM permalink

It was not easy finding a SWD of the day for QR, so I'm going with cereza (cherry), which is the name of a park in Cancun. A related word is cerezo, which means a cherry tree or the wood from a cherry tree. However, hopefully arbol de cereza will still be acceptable, otherwise my ejemplo will get an F. My self-esteem is battered from yesterday, so go easy on me.

Well, I'll tell you tomorrow, then.

Today I'll say there's an acronym in use in Mexico, CERESO, which means jail. It represents three words, the first is CEntro. Can you guess the rest?

Quote:

No puedo decir una mentira, me corté el árbol de cereza = I am not able to tell a lie, I cut down the cherry tree.

Lose the "me." With it, the closest the sentence comes to making sense is that there's a part of your body you call a cherry tree and you cut it. And even that's a few steps past being bizarre :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 6th, 2011 at 5:37:55 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Today I'll say there's an acronym in use in Mexico, CERESO, which means jail. It represents three words, the first is CEntro. Can you guess the rest?

How about Centro de Recreos y Soñar = Recreation and Dream Center. I've seen some US jails (on TV), which looked like that was the intended purpose. Just read rudeboyoi's guide on gambling in jail. He probably gambled and slept the whole time in the pokey.

Quote:

Lose the "me."

Like I said yesterday, when in doubt, throw in some extra words. Seriously, I was trying to make it clear who was doing the cutting.
Nareed
Nareed
November 6th, 2011 at 5:48:57 AM permalink
What are you doing up so early?

How about Centro de Recreos y Soñar = Recreation and Dream Center.

In your dreams :)

Quote:

Like I said yesterday, when in doubt, throw in some extra words. Seriously, I was trying to make it clear who was doing the cutting.

Well then, "corté" is explicit enough. If you want to make it more so, say "yo corté"

And it's tomorrow now, so: Not all fruit trees have a proper name, as far as I know, but some do and are well known. Cerezo, as you pointed out, manzano, nogal, and palmera are possibly the best known and used. Perhaps things have changed by now, but in my day saying "árbol de manzanas" instead of "manzano" was seen as puerile.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 6th, 2011 at 10:18:04 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Not all fruit trees have a proper name, as far as I know, but some do and are well known. Cerezo, as you pointed out, manzano, nogal, and palmera are possibly the best known and used. Perhaps things have changed by now, but in my day saying "árbol de manzanas" instead of "manzano" was seen as puerile.

Interesting. Would a pineapple tree be a piño?

In case the answer is "no," Me gusta la biblioteca.
Nareed
Nareed
November 6th, 2011 at 10:30:27 AM permalink

Interesting. Would a pineapple tree be a piño?

Las piñas no crecen en árboles :)

But pine trees are calle "pinos." a christmas tree is called "árbol de navidad," but some are marketed, for some reason as "pinos de navidad."

To be honest, fruit trees are rarely referred to. When they are, though, it's usually by their "proper" names, rather than as "árbol de..." About the only exception I can think of, at least commonly, are lemon trees. They are usually called "árbol de limones" rather than "limonero."

Many of our customers for some reason order orange blossom "tea." The word for orange is "naranja." The tree is called "naranjo." The "tea" is called "Te de naranjo."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 6th, 2011 at 10:55:42 AM permalink

You might want to review the Table of English personal pronouns. Also Table of Spanish personal pronouns.

In English Mike would not confuse "I cut" with "cut me" since there is a clear distinction between Mike being the subject or the object of the verb.

In English in the second person, we do use the same word, "you" for the second person for both single and plural: "You cut" and "cut you", but most languages use different pronouns.

Also in English we very often leave the reflexive verbs as assumed. In English if you say "I bathed", the assumption is that means "I bathed myself", while in Spanish you have to explicitely use the reflexive.

Modern English pronouns are much less complex than Old English pronouns. Cases in Old English (including pronouns) have greatly simplified in modern English.

• Jump to: