Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 2nd, 2011 at 6:49:46 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Nuevo Leon is an arid state bordering Texas. Supongo que se llamada de la ciudad León in España.

Literal: I suppose it is called of the city León in Spain."
Correct: Supongo que se llama así por la ciudad de León en España.

Quote:

For the word of the day I had to look at the map and found a city called Arroyo, which means steam.

For all your trouble using the language, you do always know the meaning of the SWD. Until today. "Arroyo" means "stReam." You must have misread the dictionary entry. The word for "steam" is "vapor."

Quote:

El Professor debe haciendo un experimento ciencia, porque hay arroyo saliendo de la laguna. = The Professor must be doing a science experiment, because there is steam coming out of the lagoon.

Again, the literal: The professor must doing experiment science, because there is stream coming out of the lagoon."

So: "El profesor debe ESTAR haciendo un experimento cienTÍFICO, porque hay vapor saliendo de la laguna."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 2nd, 2011 at 7:19:13 AM permalink
From my limited time living in New Mexico, I am familiar with "arroyo" referring to a place where there would be a stream if there were actually any water! Most (all?) of the arroyos I saw in southern New Mexico were dry almost all of the time but were subject to flash flooding when there was rain in the surrounding mountains.

In this sense, I think that the Flamingo Wash would be considered an arroyo.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
November 2nd, 2011 at 8:42:45 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

For all your trouble using the language, you do always know the meaning of the SWD. Until today. "Arroyo" means "stReam." You must have misread the dictionary entry. The word for "steam" is "vapor."

Oops. I dropped the R in stream somehow.

Como siempre, gracías por sus correcciónes.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 2nd, 2011 at 9:17:06 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

From my limited time living in New Mexico, I am familiar with "arroyo" referring to a place where there would be a stream if there were actually any water! Most (all?) of the arroyos I saw in southern New Mexico were dry almost all of the time but were subject to flash flooding when there was rain in the surrounding mountains.

In this sense, I think that the Flamingo Wash would be considered an arroyo.

Arroyo means stream. If it's dry, it's an "arroyo seco." Some are seasonal, some are not. In a place where the streams are dry along part of the year, the usage could change to what you noted.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 2nd, 2011 at 9:42:46 AM permalink

Arroyo means stream. If it's dry, it's an "arroyo seco."

Does seco come from sacar? Like all the water got extracted from the stream?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:29:15 AM permalink

In a place where the streams are dry along part of the year, the usage could change to what you noted.

The only continuously-flowing streams I saw in the Las Cruces, NM area were the Rio Grande and a number of irrigation ditches from the river that flowed most of the time. There were quite a few, usually-dry arroyos through the desert, some of which were quite wide as they passed through town. Some places there were bridges over the ravines, while other places the streets had major dips that everyone knew to stay away from if there was rain in the area.

From the main highway (US70) crossing White Sands Missile Range, there is a small road less than four miles long into the main post area. When I arrived there in 1969, that short road had seven major dips where it crossed arroyos (secos). If you were driving it at night and did not remember just where the arroyos were, you could get quite a surprise and go airborne. If there was rain during the day, traffic into and out of the post could be blocked.

In 1970, a new Commanding General arrived on the post and had bridges built over the dips. All of the old timers claimed that at the next major storm the bridges would be washed out. I left before there was another big one. Today, GoogleMaps shows bridges on that road, but the entire road looks as if it has been improved quite a bit.

¿Las palabras "Rio", "grande", y la discusión sobre el uso de "arroyo" permitir que este puesto en la nueva normativa sin necesidad de añadir una frase simbólica como ésta? Just checking.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 2nd, 2011 at 4:10:42 PM permalink

Does seco come from sacar? Like all the water got extracted from the stream?

Seco es un adjetivo, Secar es un verbo
mi mano se seca.
me seco las manos.

Seco no está relacionado con sacar
Sacar es de la lengua gótica
============

If you have forgotten your history of barbarian invasions, the Visigoths occupied Spain for a few centuries before the Muslim conquest. Their capital city was Toledo, very near present day Madrid.

Toledo's most famous son in the present day was El Greco who painted the thousand year old city.

Quote: Gothic Language: Wikipedia

As a Germanic language, Gothic is a part of the Indo-European language family. It is the earliest Germanic language that is attested in any sizable texts, but lacks any modern descendants. The oldest documents in Gothic date back to the 4th century. The language was in decline by the mid-6th century, due, in part, to the military defeat of the Goths at the hands of the Franks, the elimination of the Goths in Italy, and geographic isolation (in Spain the Gothic language lost its last and probably already declining function as a church language when the Visigoths converted to Catholicism in 589). The language survived as a domestic language in the Iberian peninsula (modern Spain and Portugal) as late as the 8th century, and Frankish author Walafrid Strabo wrote that it was still spoken in the lower Danube area and in isolated mountain regions in Crimea in the early 9th century (see Crimean Gothic). Gothic-seeming terms found in later (post-9th century) manuscripts may not belong to the same language.
The existence of such early attested corpora makes it a language of considerable interest in comparative linguistics.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 2nd, 2011 at 10:09:36 PM permalink
Fecha: 3 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: ' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oaxaca] Oaxaca
Palabra: Barro

Today's state is Oaxaca. Please don't ask me to pronounce it. Geographically, it lays along the west coast in southern Mexico. The Wikipedia page says it has some very nice unspoiled beaches.

Oaxaca is famous for a kind of pottery called barro negro = black mud. I thought the word for mud was lodo, but that would just be too facil if there were just one word for anything. Even most gringos know that negro = black, so the SWD is the barro = mud.

Ejemplo time.

El Capitán cayó en el barro una otra vez mientras persiguiendo a Gilligan. = The Skipper fell in the mud again while chasing Gilligan.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:19:19 PM permalink

Fecha: 3 de Noviembre, 2011
Estado: ' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oaxaca] Oaxaca
Palabra: Barro

I think clay is a more accurate translation. Part of the oaxaqueño potter's skill is he can make the pots without a wheel.

No había un montón de autopistas en México antes de 1998, cuando Carlos Salinas de Gortari se convirtió en presidente. La autopista último construido durante su presidencia de 6 años fue a Oaxaca.

Oaxaca pasó de un largo viaje en tren de 14 horas a un cómodo 6 horas en autobus a la ciudad de México. Cambió radicalmente la ciudad, haciéndola accesible a los viajes de fin de semana.

Oaxaca también se convirtió en una ciudad Patrimonio de la Humanidad en 1987, trasladado de siglos de aislamiento a un sitio de turismo

Oaxaca is known for it's fried crickets (chapulines), it's cheese, the oldest municipality in the Western hemisphere, and for it's varied indigenous culture. The beaches are more popular with American surfers and European visitors than with middle America.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 3rd, 2011 at 5:16:10 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Oaxaca is known for it's fried crickets (chapulines)

I think you're scaring away Nareed with that picture of canastas leno de insectos.

I must agree that is an impressive pot for not using a potter's wheel, but why not use one?

• Jump to: