Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 29th, 2011 at 8:31:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I finally found Las Cabañas (the huts).

Not really. The word for hut is "choza." "Cabaña" means "cabin" as in a small house made with logs. Now guess what "cabina" means.

Quote:

It is near the city of Tres Marias. Okay, I'm sure the Virgin Mary is one of them, but who are the other two Marys?

It's a city? I had no idea. When I drive to Cuernavaca in Morelos, Tres Marías is a mere reference point, where there's a cluster of restaurants and small shops. It's traditional to stop there for breakfast on the way.

Quote:

So, now I know there the word cabana comes from, which are little tent-like rooms that surround every hotel pool in Vegas.

And other places, too. But see above.

Quote:

El profesor está pasando mucho tiempo en la cabaña de Mary Ann. Tal vez le gusta sus pastels de coco créme. = The Professor has been spending a lot of time in Mary Ann's hut. Maybe he likes her coconut creme pies.

Hmm. I don't know how you'd translate coconut cream pie. "Pastel" means cake, not pie (BTW the plural is pastelEs), or a type of crayon, or a shade of some colors.

Pie in Spanish is "pay" but pronounced like pie, or pi, in English. If you don't believe me, check out Pays Coronado, a well-known pie bakery in Mexico City (it's well-known in the western part of town anyway).

As to coconut cream pie, I can only think of "pay de coco."

So: "Tal vez le gustaN sus pays de coco."

Finally, I've no idea where you got the word "créme." The word for "cream" is "crema." And, no, you won't hear "pay de crema de coco," because "crema de coco" is a kind of coconut pulp paste used for making piña coladas and other things. Click here and enter "calahua" in the search box.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
October 30th, 2011 at 8:12:16 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Hmm. I don't know how you'd translate coconut cream pie. "Pastel" means cake, not pie (BTW the plural is pastelEs), or a type of crayon, or a shade of some colors.

Pie in Spanish is "pay" but pronounced like pie, or pi, in English. If you don't believe me, check out Pays Coronado, a well-known pie bakery in Mexico City (it's well-known in the western part of town anyway).

Not to say you're equivocado, por supuesto, but every dictionary I've seen says the word for pie is pastel or maybe torta (our first SWD). Perhaps Paco can get to the bottom of it.

Finally, I've no idea where you got the word "créme." The word for "cream" is "crema."

I tried to track down my source, but lost the trail. It seems I was speaking in another language. Perdona mi Francés.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 8:33:35 AM permalink

Not to say you're equivocado, por supuesto,

EquivocadA.

Quote:

but every dictionary I've seen says the word for pie is pastel or maybe torta (our first SWD). Perhaps Paco can get to the bottom of it.

There's no real word for pie, therefore the English word was adopted with Spanish spelling as "pay."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 8:55:17 AM permalink

There's no real word for pie, therefore the English word was adopted with Spanish spelling as "pay."

¿Por qué no los escritors de dicionarios lo saben?
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 9:05:36 AM permalink

¿Por qué no los escritors de dicionarios lo saben?

¿Por qué los escritorEs de diccionario NO lo saben?

Ask them.

Meantime go to google.com.mx and search for "pay" and "pay de piña marinela"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 30th, 2011 at 9:08:30 AM permalink

Not to say you're equivocado, por supuesto, but every dictionary I've seen says the word for pie is pastel or maybe torta (our first SWD). Perhaps Paco can get to the bottom of it.

Old Latin: "torquere" "turn, turn awry, twist, wring, distort"
Middle Latin: "tortum" - "injustice"
Old French: "tort" - "injustice"
Middle English: "tort" - "injury, wrong"
Early Modern English: "tort" - "breach of a duty, whereby someone acquires a right of action for damages"
Central European: "torte" - "multilayered, cake that is filled with buttercreams, mousses, jams or fruits"
European Spanish: "torta" - flat, round plain cake
Mexican Spanish: "torta" - non sweet filled sandwich
Caribbean Spanish: "torta" - pie

He visitado el Hotel Sacher en Viena que el famoso Sachertorte.

Pastel is an Old French word which has been adopted into Spanish unchanged. It is likely to mean different things in different countries.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 10:58:55 AM permalink

Meantime go to google.com.mx and search for "pay" and "pay de piña marinela"

Buscé este anuncio. In English it would be a stretch to say what there were eating was a "pie." However, there is not other particular word for it either. Here I think it would be referred to as a "snack cake." Like a Ding Dong, known as a "King Don" in Maryland.
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 11:07:06 AM permalink

Buscé este anuncio.

BusQUé.

Quote:

In English it would be a stretch to say what there were eating was a "pie." However, there is not other particular word for it either. Here I think it would be referred to as a "snack cake." Like a Ding Dong, known as a "King Don" in Maryland.

A pie is a crust with a filling. That's what the Marinela pays are, even if they're small. They would fall into the "snack cake" category only ebacuse there are other things, more cake-like, which are similar.

In any case, you have the web address for Pays Coronado a few posts up the thread.

BTW according to my reasearch there are under 6,000 people living in Tres Marías. I see more people than that every day on the way to work :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 30th, 2011 at 11:24:45 AM permalink

BTW according to my reasearch there are under 6,000 people living in Tres Marías. I see more people than that every day on the way to work :)

Tu promixo tiempo en Tres Marias, tu tarea estarás descubrir quien son las tres Marias.
Nareed
Nareed
October 30th, 2011 at 11:33:06 AM permalink

Tu promixo tiempo en Tres Marias, tu tarea estarás descubrir quien son las tres Marias.

"Tu próxima VEZ en ....." Or more correctly, "La próxima vez que vayas a...."

On the bright side, you found the right pronoun.

On the not so bright side, the last place to look for the meaning of the name is at Tres Marías. But I can look it up online someday.

• Jump to: