Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 29th, 2011 at 9:35:07 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

So, I think that is how we know they taste badly. Same thing with penguins, when a sea lion tries to eat one they spit it out. Obviamente, that helps the penguin population grow. I would say tasting bad is an evolutionary defense, but perhaps the good FrG would disagree.

There is a similar butterfly called the Viceroy that tastes even worse than Monarch butterflies. Viceroys just taste bad, but Monarchs are toxic. The pair forms a mimicry bond. The lousy tasting Viceroys discourage eating the Monarchs, and the toxic monarchs discourage eating the Viceroys.

As far as I know most Catholics do not particularly have a problem with evolutionary theory. The Catholic church never rejected Darwin's theories even from the time of the initial books in the 19th century. Neither did the the Anglican church. The objections tended to come from Baptists and Pentecostals.

Monarcas Morelia es un club de fútbol profesional mexicano. El rojo y amarillo del uniforme del equipo vienen de los colores de la bandera de la ciudad de Morelia , que son los mismos de la bandera española, dado que la ciudad es una urbe novohispana.

Por otro lado, el mote original del equipo fue "canarios" hasta 1999, año en que se cambió a "Monarcas".

Este último apodo proviene del escudo de los tres monarcas, que le fue otorgado a la ciudad de Valladolid (un nombre previo de Morelia) por parte del rey Carlos I de España, mejor conocido como el emperador Carlos V en el Sacro Imperio Románico Germánico.

De esta forma, la suposición de que el apodo provenga de la mariposa monarca que hiberna y se reproduce en la parte oriental del estado de Michoacán es errónea.

Carlos V (or Carlos I of Spain) is one of the most important men in history.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
October 29th, 2011 at 9:45:19 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

As far as I know most Catholics do not particularly have a problem with evolutionary theory. The Catholic church never rejected Darwin's theories even from the time of the initial books in the 19th century. Neither did the the Anglican church. The objections tended to come from Baptists and Pentecostals.

If I had known that, I would have included it in my post about things I like about Catolicismo. Good for them.

De esta forma, la suposición de que el apodo provenga de la mariposa monarca que hiberna y se reproduce en la parte oriental del estado de Michoacán es errónea.

Do you also write for Spanish Wikipedia?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 29th, 2011 at 9:54:04 AM permalink

Monarcas Morelia es un club de fútbol profesional mexicano.

Bugs, sucker and religion in one post?

That's it. you're on my list. :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 10:00:27 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Bugs, sucker and religion in one post?

That's it. you're on my list. :P

¡Tres frases, por favor!
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 11:15:07 AM permalink

Speaking of libre, the official names of many estados includes the word libre. Por ejemplo, el lleno nombre de Michoacán es "Estado Libre y Soberano de Michoacán de Ocampo."

Meaningless nomenclature. Some places have it worse. Look up the full name for the city of Puebla if you want a good laugh.

Quote:

"Hice este viaje el año pasado, me siguen, yo conozco la rumba." = "I did this trip last year, follow me, I know the way."

Rumba is a kind of dance. Ruta is route. Roomba is a robot.

Quote:

El bosque está lleno de mariposas en esta vez del año. = The forest is full of butterflies this time of the year.

"..en esta EPOCA del año."
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 11:21:46 AM permalink

Que hacemos sin Ud? = What would we do without you.

How formal!

But:

"¿Que hacemos sin ti?" = "What do we do without you"

"Que haríamos sin ti?" = "What would we do without you."

Quote:

Pregunta para (or is it "por") Nareed: Do any bamboleándose monarchs ever get lost and end up in Mexico City instead of the bosques de Michoacan?

I don't look at bugs. I'm extremely phobic. But as far as I know butterflies don't tumble.
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 11:31:22 AM permalink

¡Tres frases, por favor!

OK:

1) ¿Porqué no fumigan Michoacán?
2) Dios no existe
3) ¿es suficiente, o quieres que siga?

:P
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 2:06:31 PM permalink

Rumba is a kind of dance. Ruta is route. Roomba is a robot.

Quieré dicer rumbo.

OK:

1) ¿Porqué no fumigan Michoacán?
2) Dios no existe
3) ¿es suficiente, o quieres que siga?

1. Tienes no alma. No wonder you didn't mind wagering with it.
2. De aquedro.
3. Es suficiente. Su dueda esta pagado.

RE: bamboleándose

But as far as I know butterflies don't tumble.

I thought bamboleándose meant to stagger or wander around, like un borracho.
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 2:20:50 PM permalink

Quieré dicer rumbo.

That works, too.

Quote:

1. Tienes no alma.

NO tienes alma.

I know that. No one does. I don't have horns, either. That's why I didn't mind wagering it. I said at the time I was betting nothing against $100. Granted I didn't win, but I didn't lose :)

Quote:

2. De aquedro.

De aCuerdo.

Quote:

I thought bamboleándose meant to stagger or wander around, like un borracho.

It's an odd word. I think it means tumble, but you should look it up.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 7:45:40 PM permalink
Fecha: 30 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Morelos
Palabra: cabaña

Pittsburgh Steelers, obviamente

Today's estado is Morelos, the second smallest by area in Mexico. Based on a quick read of Wikipedia, it seems to be primarily a farming state. I had a difficult time finding a good SWD for the state. As my usual last resort, I turned to the map and looked for any city that had a name with an English translation. I finally found Las Cabañas (the huts). It is near the city of Tres Marias. Okay, I'm sure the Virgin Mary is one of them, but who are the other two Marys?

So, now I know there the word cabana comes from, which are little tent-like rooms that surround every hotel pool in Vegas. The next time I find myself invited into one, which isn't often, I will regale the cocktail waitress with trivia about the origin of the word. Yes, that's why I get all the ladies.

Ejemplo time.

El profesor está pasando mucho tiempo en la cabaña de Mary Ann. Tal vez le gusta sus pastels de coco créme. = The Professor has been spending a lot of time in Mary Ann's hut. Maybe he likes her coconut creme pies.

• Jump to: