Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 28th, 2011 at 7:50:51 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

¿Qué?

I wasn't talking to you, I was using your example for the Wizard and giving a clue as when to use ser or estar. Grammar is the one of the most difficult thing to talk about in another language.

Estar is similar to "station". It is also similar to "status". When you say I am "under the sea" think of those words so you use "estar" instead of "ser".
"Ser" is similar to "essence". So if you are talking about "essential qualities", then you use "ser". It's the best general way I know how to use one or the other.

===========================
But a very difficult thing for English speakers is when to use the form of "ser" which is sea (which looks like "ocean" to us). For instance if we want to say
"I am looking for a book that is interesting." We would probably say:
"Yo busco un libre que es interesante." You would say (I think) -
"Yo busco un libre que sea interesante."

Am I correct?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 28th, 2011 at 7:56:37 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I wasn't talking to you,

You should say so next time.

Quote:

For instance if we want to say
"I am looking for a book that is interesting." We would probably say:
"Yo busco un libre que es interesante." You would say (I think) -
"Yo busco un libre que sea interesante."

Am I correct?

For starters "libre" = "Free" as in liberty; "librO" = "book"

The correct form is the third: "libro que sea interesante." But you're just as likely to hear someone say "Busco un libro que esté interesante." That's wrong, but it happens.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 28th, 2011 at 8:33:50 PM permalink

You should say so next time.

For starters "libre" = "Free" as in liberty; "librO" = "book"

The correct form is the third: "libro que sea interesante." But you're just as likely to hear someone say "Busco un libro que esté interesante." That's wrong, but it happens.

I will say so. In my mind I guess I thought it was obvious.
Stupid error about "libre".

For most English speakers it is difficult for most to know if they should use (1)es, (2)sea, (3)está, or (4)esté . They are most likely to use (1) or (3).
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 28th, 2011 at 9:26:25 PM permalink

Black?

I'm terribly color blind, but it sure looked like verde y anaranjado to me. Granted the anaranjado was closer to their alternate version, but it's close enough to complete the trend.

Quote: Wizard

New rule. Every post in the SWD must contain at least one Spanish word, or some sort of educational remark about the language itself. The future punishment for breaking this rule will be to write three different sentences in Spanish containing the last Spanish Word of the Day itself.

Lo siento. I'll keep to words, if you please. Nareed's head would explode trying to fix my jibberish otherwise.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 29th, 2011 at 4:15:26 AM permalink
Quote: Face

I'm terribly color blind, but it sure looked like verde y anaranjado to me. Granted the anaranjado was closer to their alternate version, but it's close enough to complete the trend.

The background is green and the letters are black. I didn't see any orange to match the Delfines.

Quote:

Lo siento. I'll keep to words, if you please. Nareed's head would explode trying to fix my jibberish otherwise.

Hardly. I deal with government-written documents every day. I've learned to simply ignore gibberish.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
October 29th, 2011 at 8:43:55 AM permalink
Fecha: 29 de Octubre, 2011
Estado: Michoacán
Palabra: mariposa

Thanks Paco for the continued help with ser y estar. For what it is worth, I seriously considered using estar for the be in "I want to be under the sea...", but went with ser because I thought he wanted to be in the Octopus' garden permanently.

Speaking of libre, the official names of many estados includes the word libre. Por ejemplo, el lleno nombre de Michoacán es "Estado Libre y Soberano de Michoacán de Ocampo."

Anyway, onto new asuntos. Today's state is Michoacán, which is famous as the winter home of Monarch butterflies. Monarchs are the only butterfly to migrate long distances for the winter. The Monarchs that find their way to Michoacán traveled from the eastern United States. It is extraño to me how they know where to go, since any given mariposa (butterfly) only lives about a year, so none of them would live long enough to say "Hice este viaje el año pasado, me siguen, yo conozco la rumba." = "I did this trip last year, follow me, I know the way."

Another question I have is in the video I linked to said that one reason for the Monarch's success is that they taste terrible, and thus not inviting for birds to eat. So, if they taste so terrible, why do they call them butterflies?

Ejemplo time.

El bosque está lleno de mariposas en esta vez del año. = The forest is full of butterflies this time of the year.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 29th, 2011 at 8:52:33 AM permalink

Another question I have is in the video I linked to said that one reason for the Monarch's success is that they taste terrible, and thus not inviting for birds to eat. So, if they taste so terrible, why do they call them butterflies?

Tienen un sabor terrible. (Posted in an attempt to comply with the forum's recent rule changes.)

Comment/question: Who established that butterflies taste terrible? How? Do different species have different taste preferences, and how would that be taken into account?

Just curious when I hear such claims.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 29th, 2011 at 8:57:18 AM permalink

It is estraño to me how they know where to go, since any given mariposa (butterfly) only lives about a year, so none of them would live long enough to say "I did this last year, follow me, I know the way."

Los Mariposas viva solo dos a siete meses. Estos santuarios fueron declarados en 2008 como Patrimonio Natural de la Humanidad en su modalidad de lugares naturales.

The mechanism by which the species manages to return to the same overwintering spots over a gap of several generations is still a subject of research;
the flight patterns appear to be inherited, based on a combination of the position of the sun in the sky and
a time-compensated Sun compass that depends upon a circadian clock that is based in their antennae.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 8:58:43 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Tienen un sabor terrible. (Posted in an attempt to comply with the forum's recent rule changes.)

Comment/question: Who established that butterflies taste terrible? How? Do different species have different taste preferences, and how would that be taken into account?

Just curious when I hear such claims.

Thank you for not just throwing in one Spanish word but an entire frase (sentence). I hope it will please you to know I broke my own rule yesterday, which Nareed called me out on.

The video I linked to said that when a bird did get hungry enough to eat a Monarch it would vomit it out. So, I think that is how we know they taste badly. Same thing with penguins, when a sea lion tries to eat one they spit it out. Obviamente, that helps the penguin population grow. I would say tasting bad is an evolutionary defense, but perhaps the good FrG would disagree.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 29th, 2011 at 9:10:15 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The mechanism by which the species manages to return to the same overwintering spots over a gap of several generations is still a subject of research;
the flight patterns appear to be inherited, based on a combination of the position of the sun in the sky and
a time-compensated Sun compass that depends upon a circadian clock that is based in their antennae.

Que hacemos sin Ud? = What would we do without you.

This topic got me to wondering where the western US monarchs go for winter vacation. According to the Monarch Grove Sanctuary, they are drawn to Pacific Grove, California, which is near Monteray. A very lovey, yet pricey, part of northern California. There is also a Mariposa County, California, near Sacramento. My first year at UCSB I lived on Mariposa hall in the San Miguel dorm (5th floor west).

Pregunta para (or is it "por") Nareed: Do any bamboleándose monarchs ever get lost and end up in Mexico City instead of the bosques de Michoacan?

• Jump to: