Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 28th, 2011 at 9:34:15 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Maybe the word for croissant in Spanish, media luna gives us a clue.

Is it just me, or does a croissant resemble a crescent moon rather than a half moon?

Quote:

Maybe if you opened the bun, and looked at it with the bun pointing towards your oyos, it would appear like the moon.

I'm not sure what bun or which holes you mean (and BTW the proper spelling is hoyos), but the sentence seems kind of gross.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
October 28th, 2011 at 9:57:04 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Is it just me, or does a croissant resemble a crescent moon rather than a half moon?

Lo penso tambien.

Quote:

I'm not sure what bun or which holes you mean (and BTW the proper spelling is hoyos), but the sentence seems kind of gross.

I meant eyes. Lo siento por nos confundiendo. Remember, this is coming from the one who said take the thorn out of the whore, so have a corazon.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
October 28th, 2011 at 10:25:03 AM permalink

¡Sí! And we have our first violator of the regla nueva! You owe me three sentences in Spanish containing any form of a word for firecracker young man.

p.s. I saw you edit your post adding manaña after I posted mine. Okay, what would Jesus do? I think he would still make you write three sentences, but they don't have to be entirely en Español. Just at least one Spanish word in each sentence, and you can't repeat the same word.

First, I feel that a rule that was imposed by a delayed-and-not-admitted edit of a post is not violated by another post that was made prior to the rule being in place, particularly if the "violation" is then edited to comply with the rule. I have no idea what Jesus would do, but I don't think he spoke Spanish while on the earth. Nevertheless, I will attempt to comply with the punitive nature of the Wizard's decree. I will not attempt to compose in Spanish, since I know nothing of Spanish grammar. Instead, I will just use English sentences to introduce/discuss three Spanish words. Corrections to my interpretations are fully invited.

1. (Beginning with the word I already used!) The word "mañana" is often interpreted by Americans to imply deferring some effort to "tomorrow" due to some aspect of laziness. This may be due to the song lyrics "Mañana is good enough for me." It is similar in interpretation to "boukra" which is one form of the Arabic (Egyptian Arabic?) word for "tomorrow" and one that is often meant and interpreted as just putting off something that one cannot or does not wish to deal with.

2. I once had the pleasure of attending a "charreada" during a spring fiesta period in San Antonio. The event was described as being a Mexican rodeo, but the events were far different from those seen in American rodeo competitions. It was a combination of riding pageantry and a number of demonstrations of riding, roping, and wrangling skills. There was far more artistic exhibition than competition. The most surprising event was the way they performed the steer wrestling, though both the charreada and American rodeo events involve chasing down a running steer while on horseback. In the event we watched in San Antonio, rather than riding up beside the animal's head, jumping off the horse, grabbing the steer's horns and twisting its neck until it falls, the rider grabbed the animal's tail, wrapped his leg and foot around it, and rode away tugging this "handle" until the animal lost its footing. The claim was made that this was neither injurious nor painful to the animal.

Edit: I don't know just how the word "charreada" is related to the word "chorrada", but I suspect a connection.

3. The word "cruz" (plural "cruces") means cross(es). I mention this word, because I once lived in the city of Las Cruces, NM while stationed at White Sands Missile Range. Las Cruces and White Sands are the only two locations where I have ever lived that are farther west than Atlanta. Perhaps the main reason I have never been able to learn a language other than English (in spite of having studied in school some Latin, French, German, and even six weeks of Spanish in the 8th grade) is that I have never lived or spent any extended amount of time in an area where there was a substantial population speaking anything other than English. The motivation to learn and develop fluency never arose.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 10:31:50 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Nevertheless, I will attempt to comply with the punitive nature of the Wizard's decree. I will not attempt to compose in Spanish, since I know nothing of Spanish grammar.

¡Soy muy diabólico y injusto! >:-).

Sin embargo, tu deuda esta pagado. Gracías. = Nevertheless, your debt is paid. Thank you.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 10:37:11 AM permalink

Lo penso tambien.

"Lo pIenso."

"Pensó," notice the accent, means "he/she thought." "Pienso" means "I think"

Quote:

I meant eyes.

I wont' revisit the subject...

Quote:

Lo siento por nos confundiendo.

Yeah, I' need to know what you thought you said so I can correct this one. I do accept your apology.

Quote:

Remember, this is coming from the one who said take the thorn out of the whore, so have a corazon.

Would you believe that expression doens't translate well? The closest is "ten piedad," which means "have mercy."
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 10:52:02 AM permalink

¡Soy muy diabólico y injusto! >:-).

I agree, but the usage is "..diabólico E injusto." You don't use "y" before a word starting with an "i" or a "y" in vowel form (not that there are many of the latter)

Quote:

Sin embargo, tu deuda esta pagado. Gracías. = Nevertheless, your debt is paid. Thank you.

"...tu deuda está pagadA"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 28th, 2011 at 11:54:03 AM permalink

Yes, Mexico has a state called Mexico.

Antropólogo Gutierre Tibón, quien analizó 70 distintas propuestas de la etimología de México incluyendo las más descabelladas.

Entre estas últimas se cuenta la del pretendido origen judío del nombre de México.

Los cronistas religiosos discutieron la cuestión de la procedencia de los habitantes nativos de América a partir de los textos bíblicos, y su conclusión dominante fue la de que descendían de las "tribus perdidas de Israel".

------------
The Shakespearian quote "What a joy it is to see the engineer, Hoist on their own petard" makes more sense to a Spanish speaker today. A "petard" was an old word for landmine. The word for landmine was the same as "fireworks" because detonating explosives like TNT were not invented yet, and the only materials that deflagrate were used.

Of course Shakespeare meant it in the figurative sense of the joy of seeing people who are plotting against the royal family get caught in their own trap.
-----------------
Mexico only referred to the Valley of Mexico and the people called Mexica (most people simply say Aztecs today). The name was chosen to apply to the entire country after independence. The native people did not call themselves Aztecs. That was the name applied by historians in later centuries.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 28th, 2011 at 12:02:51 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Sin embargo, tu deuda esta pagado. Gracías.
"...tu deuda está pagadA"

You may have heard that preschool in Sweden has banned all gender specific words like "he","her","boy", and "girl".

The children now have to say "Hey friend, let's play doctor". Of course, it must wreck havoc on their Spanish lessons.
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2011 at 12:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Los cronistas religiosos discutieron la cuestión de la procedencia de los habitantes nativos de América a partir de los textos bíblicos, y su conclusión dominante fue la de que descendían de las "tribus perdidas de Israel".

Bull.

Everyone claims to be descended from the "lost tribes of Israel" at one point or antoher, at least there are several such claims. I think there's a tribe or group somewhere in Africa that was determined, by studies of the Y chromosome, to be related to modern Jews. But given all the traffic that has passed through Israel, it woudl be more surprising not finding some relation.

Quote:

Mexico only referred to the Valley of Mexico and the people called Mexica (most people simply say Aztecs today). The name was chosen to apply to the entire country after independence.

Yup. For some reason the word is pronounced MeSHica. I think the Spaniards simply struck Xes where they had the least trouble pronouncing the native names. Which still doesnt explain Xochimilco (pronounced Zochimilco).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 28th, 2011 at 12:25:12 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Isn't that what the Mormons claim too? About what time did the errabundo Jews arrive in North America, and how did they get there?

• Jump to: