Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 9th, 2022 at 3:48:07 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



But I would ask why feminism is held up as some great thing but a movement by men with many of the same goals is held up as bad?
link to original post




what a very silly statement

feminism seeks to empower women - if some women go too far with that idea - that is another issue

men have had much greater power than women for thousands of years in every single human society

men don't need an organization to empower them - they still have much greater power than women in our society and in every single other human society

mens organizations such as this seek to increase their power over women - not to obtain power because they have too little power




oh, and by the way - your Signature_______________"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

let me take a wild guess at something_______________________you believe that applies to humans too

and one more wild guess_________________________________________________you are one of the humans that are more equal than others

if true - what a sick concept


.
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 9th, 2022 at 4:15:29 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: AZDuffman



But I would ask why feminism is held up as some great thing but a movement by men with many of the same goals is held up as bad?
link to original post




what a very silly statement

feminism seeks to empower women - if some women go too far with that idea - that is another issue



First-wave feminism did this. We are now in what IIRC is the fourth-wave. This wave is not at all what the first wave was. It has become very toxic and divisive. And it is making for many unhappy women.

Quote:

men have had much greater power than women for thousands of years in every single human society

men don't need an organization to empower them - they still have much greater power than women in our society and in every single other human society



Because men have done the heavy lifting for the same thousands of years. But there is not a thing wrong with a men's group. Nothing wrong with a group of men who all are noticing things moving against men and supporting each other. Nothing wrong with men who decide to go their own way and find things to do outside of chasing women.

Quote:

mens organizations such as this seek to increase their power over women - not to obtain power because they have too little power



No, they seek to empower themselves as individuals. See, your stance shows the problem. If women empower themselves you "rah rah!" it. If men do you think it is evil, This is the very reason the MGTOW movement started.


Quote:



oh, and by the way - your Signature_______________"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

let me take a wild guess at something_______________________you believe that applies to humans too

and one more wild guess_________________________________________________you are one of the humans that are more equal than others

if true - what a sick concept


.
link to original post



I think you missed a lot of English class in high school or are not otherwise very well read if you ask this. I would suggest googling my sig word for word if you do not get what it is about.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 9th, 2022 at 4:33:17 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



I think you missed a lot of English class in high school or are not very well read


link to original post




come on, man - don't be shy

just about everybody who has read your posts at various places assumes that:

you believe the ethnic group that you belong to is superior to other ethnic groups

why not own up to it______?___________?


.
Please don't feed the trolls
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2333
November 9th, 2022 at 5:03:08 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

oh, and by the way - your Signature_______________"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

let me take a wild guess at something_______________________you believe that applies to humans too

and one more wild guess_________________________________________________you are one of the humans that are more equal than others

if true - what a sick concept

Wow. Seriously? Rooster, have you never read Animal Farm?

When I went to school in the 80's, Orwell was required reading. I guess it is not any more. It is a shame that most people today think Big Brother is a reality show and nothing more.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 9th, 2022 at 5:08:15 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: lilredrooster

oh, and by the way - your Signature_______________"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

let me take a wild guess at something_______________________you believe that applies to humans too

and one more wild guess_________________________________________________you are one of the humans that are more equal than others

if true - what a sick concept

Wow. Seriously? Rooster, have you never read Animal Farm?

When I went to school in the 80's, Orwell was required reading. I guess it is not any more. It is a shame that most people today think Big Brother is a reality show and nothing more.
link to original post




I read the book a long time ago but had forgotten that quote
nonetheless I believe he meant exactly what I suggested he meant - even if the intended meaning was different in the actual book itself
to understand why I believe that you would have to have read his posts elsewhere



.
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 9th, 2022 at 5:17:55 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: AZDuffman



I think you missed a lot of English class in high school or are not very well read


link to original post




come on, man - don't be shy

just about everybody who has read your posts at various places assumes that:

you believe the ethnic group that you belong to is superior to other ethnic groups

why not own up to it______?___________?


.
link to original post



Huh? I do not believe that anymore than anyone else does about their ethnic group. Now, I refuse to be ashamed of my group and refuse to parrot the "X POWER" lines of groups not my own.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 9th, 2022 at 5:24:27 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: lilredrooster

oh, and by the way - your Signature_______________"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

let me take a wild guess at something_______________________you believe that applies to humans too

and one more wild guess_________________________________________________you are one of the humans that are more equal than others

if true - what a sick concept

Wow. Seriously? Rooster, have you never read Animal Farm?

When I went to school in the 80's, Orwell was required reading. I guess it is not any more. It is a shame that most people today think Big Brother is a reality show and nothing more.
link to original post



In this day and age it might not only be required reading but might be banned. For those of you in Rio Linda that's a joke.

AF is probably my favorite fiction book. A very easy read yet teaches so many lessons. True story, my uncle who was about 72 at the time a couple years ago had it on his coffee table. Either me or my sister in law (she is a HS English teacher) asked about it. AF was not required in HS back then but somehow he heard something on it and decided he needed to read it.

What gets lost is that AF while about the Russian Revolution and the communists carries so many more lessons. Right here in this thread for that matter. We have a person saying how it is some great thing if we have a women's movement but a men's movement is pure danger. If that is not some animals being more equal than others I do not know what is.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2333
November 9th, 2022 at 6:01:48 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: Joeman

Quote: lilredrooster

oh, and by the way - your Signature_______________"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

let me take a wild guess at something_______________________you believe that applies to humans too

and one more wild guess_________________________________________________you are one of the humans that are more equal than others

if true - what a sick concept

Wow. Seriously? Rooster, have you never read Animal Farm?

When I went to school in the 80's, Orwell was required reading. I guess it is not any more. It is a shame that most people today think Big Brother is a reality show and nothing more.
link to original post




I read the book a long time ago but had forgotten that quote
nonetheless I believe he meant exactly what I suggested he meant - even if the intended meaning was different in the actual book itself
to understand why I believe that you would have to have read his posts elsewhere



.
link to original post

At the risk of drifting into the political, I will say that I still use this quote in my everyday vernacular (well, not every day!) It is a lament that those in power will give themselves and their friends special privileges that others do not get, even though as a society we are all supposedly considered equal.

That is how I use it. Perhaps I am naïve, but and I believe that is how AZDuffman intends it as well.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 9th, 2022 at 6:24:56 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman




.
link to original post

At the risk of drifting into the political, I will say that I still use this quote in my everyday vernacular (well, not every day!) It is a lament that those in power will give themselves and their friends special privileges that others do not get, even though as a society we are all supposedly considered equal.

That is how I use it. Perhaps I am naïve, but and I believe that is how AZDuffman intends it as well.
link to original post



Correct. When I look at it I wonder if Orwell knew how powerful the quote is when he wrote it. The book is such a lesson. They did a TV movie of it some time back but the movie did not capture things. IMHO to do it justice you would need an animated movie, but I digress there. Please keep using it, the world needs more of us who do.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2754
Thanks for this post from:
AZDuffman
November 9th, 2022 at 7:02:30 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

For those of you in Rio Linda that's a joke.


Now there's a quote that few people will get.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 59
  • Posts: 4655
November 9th, 2022 at 12:06:56 PM permalink
To everyone: a reminder to keep this conversation polite. I mean, this thread is (so far) an all-male conversation about marriage and marriage statistics. There is no need to bring your disagreement on other topics into this thread. Some of your contemptuous posts about each other have been getting close to the line. Just cool down, guys.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10766
November 9th, 2022 at 4:28:29 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

To everyone: a reminder to keep this conversation polite. I mean, this thread is (so far) an all-male conversation about marriage and marriage statistics. There is no need to bring your disagreement on other topics into this thread. Some of your contemptuous posts about each other have been getting close to the line. Just cool down, guys.
link to original post



Can we disparage broads as long as we don't insult members?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11729
November 9th, 2022 at 8:37:04 PM permalink
I don't agree with creating some specific box like marriage that people have to conform to. Unless that's really what they want.

As long as people are of legal age and in a consensual relationship let them define it however, they want. You're allowed to make stupid mistakes, or you're not really free.

It's only when you cross the line and physically interfere with other people does it matter. And sometimes the state has to step in if you bring children into it.

But other than that, don't care what kind of relationship you have decided on whether it fits anyone else's idea or not.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 163
  • Posts: 21887
November 9th, 2022 at 9:18:55 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't agree with creating some specific box like marriage that people have to conform to. Unless that's really what they want.

As long as people are of legal age and in a consensual relationship let them define it however, they want. You're allowed to make stupid mistakes, or you're not really free.

It's only when you cross the line and physically interfere with other people does it matter. And sometimes the state has to step in if you bring children into it.

But other than that, don't care what kind of relationship you have decided on whether it fits anyone else's idea or not.
link to original post

You would think something like that wouldn't need to be said, it sounds like common sense.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4720
November 10th, 2022 at 3:22:49 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

please delete


.
link to original post



You got it!
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 3:56:01 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't agree with creating some specific box like marriage that people have to conform to. Unless that's really what they want.

As long as people are of legal age and in a consensual relationship let them define it however, they want. You're allowed to make stupid mistakes, or you're not really free.

It's only when you cross the line and physically interfere with other people does it matter. And sometimes the state has to step in if you bring children into it.

But other than that, don't care what kind of relationship you have decided on whether it fits anyone else's idea or not.
link to original post



The interesting thing here is how many people just do not grasp a person choosing to drop out of the relationship race and lead a single life. Had a coworker who did not get it. Nice enough guy, half a Southern Baptist preacher type. I think his dad was one. Guy followed the Pope on Twitter. Somehow it came up, asks if I am married. Nope. Asks if I am dating a gal. Nope. Asks if I am "something else." Heck, no! Asks about if I am looking for someone. Nope.

And there he gets a blank look. I got the feeling he would have tried to hook me up with a woman on the team who was single. As to her lets say if she came to visit me in prison I would only want her to bring me a month of "The Wall Street Journal" and a bag of Sour Patch Kids. But I was looking for nobody and thus did not run that risk. But he had to ask several ways about it.

Now, this happens often, and I know it happens behind my back. Whatever. People do not get the dumpster fire I see the dating market as. If I was 30 again and interested this would be the time to try to go the Ukraine or Russian mail-order bride thing. Or go teach English overseas and hope to meet someone. But I prefer single life so much more. Just that too many out there act as if there is something wrong with that.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10766
November 10th, 2022 at 4:00:37 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



The interesting thing here is how many people just do not grasp a person choosing to drop out of the relationship race and lead a single life. Had a coworker who did not get it. Nice enough guy, half a Southern Baptist preacher type. I think his dad was one. Guy followed the Pope on Twitter. Somehow it came up, asks if I am married. Nope. Asks if I am dating a gal. Nope. Asks if I am "something else." Heck, no! Asks about if I am looking for someone. Nope.

And there he gets a blank look. I got the feeling he would have tried to hook me up with a woman on the team who was single. As to her lets say if she came to visit me in prison I would only want her to bring me a month of "The Wall Street Journal" and a bag of Sour Patch Kids. But I was looking for nobody and thus did not run that risk. But he had to ask several ways about it.

Now, this happens often, and I know it happens behind my back. Whatever. People do not get the dumpster fire I see the dating market as. If I was 30 again and interested this would be the time to try to go the Ukraine or Russian mail-order bride thing. Or go teach English overseas and hope to meet someone. But I prefer single life so much more. Just that too many out there act as if there is something wrong with that.
link to original post



I sure don't look down on people who are not interested in a relationship. We are all wired differently.

AZ, are you an animal person that has pets? Just curious if there is a correlation in people that don't want human relationships but either do or don't have pets.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 4:13:03 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: AZDuffman



The interesting thing here is how many people just do not grasp a person choosing to drop out of the relationship race and lead a single life. Had a coworker who did not get it. Nice enough guy, half a Southern Baptist preacher type. I think his dad was one. Guy followed the Pope on Twitter. Somehow it came up, asks if I am married. Nope. Asks if I am dating a gal. Nope. Asks if I am "something else." Heck, no! Asks about if I am looking for someone. Nope.

And there he gets a blank look. I got the feeling he would have tried to hook me up with a woman on the team who was single. As to her lets say if she came to visit me in prison I would only want her to bring me a month of "The Wall Street Journal" and a bag of Sour Patch Kids. But I was looking for nobody and thus did not run that risk. But he had to ask several ways about it.

Now, this happens often, and I know it happens behind my back. Whatever. People do not get the dumpster fire I see the dating market as. If I was 30 again and interested this would be the time to try to go the Ukraine or Russian mail-order bride thing. Or go teach English overseas and hope to meet someone. But I prefer single life so much more. Just that too many out there act as if there is something wrong with that.
link to original post



I sure don't look down on people who are not interested in a relationship. We are all wired differently.

AZ, are you an animal person that has pets? Just curious if there is a correlation in people that don't want human relationships but either do or don't have pets.
link to original post



I love dogs but have no pets. I am gone too much to be fair to a dog and live in constant worry that something will happen to me and the dog will be alone for days to suffer and die. I guess I have had one too many disasters in my life to think that way but it is what it is. My plan is I die and get to heaven people are reunited with their dogs up there. But plenty of dogs are never adopted down here so there has to be a dog pound up there I can visit once I get settled in.

Cats I do not like and am allergic to so that will never, ever happen. Other pets I do not keep because I do not want to have a bird caged for life merely for my amusement. I had fish as a kid but same there though to a lesser extent. I want none of the exotics like snakes nor do I want rodents in my house.

Correlation might be gender based. We have all heard of the cat lady. I grew up next door to one, oh my there. You never hear of the "cat guy." That could be based on how the genders think and behave. Men go out into the world. Columbus sailed over here, many men went out west to seek their fortune. Women stayed closed to home. You tend not to take pets with you when you go out into the world, you more tend to keep them as company if you are home a lot. That's my take there.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4720
November 10th, 2022 at 4:25:19 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Now, this happens often, and I know it happens behind my back. Whatever. People do not get the dumpster fire I see the dating market as.
link to original post


(quote trimmed!)


Have you considered the "I'm working on myself" style answers? Possibly alluding to therapy, prayer, or some other potentially useful red herring.
I found it to be an effective way to stop the nosy interrogations of matchmakers who screwed up their own relationships and decided to have a go at screwing up other peoples' for a while.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 4:59:27 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: AZDuffman

Now, this happens often, and I know it happens behind my back. Whatever. People do not get the dumpster fire I see the dating market as.
link to original post


(quote trimmed!)


Have you considered the "I'm working on myself" style answers? Possibly alluding to therapy, prayer, or some other potentially useful red herring.
I found it to be an effective way to stop the nosy interrogations of matchmakers who screwed up their own relationships and decided to have a go at screwing up other peoples' for a while.
link to original post



Not so much as I have never cared if people like it or not. It is amusing if they keep trying to matchmake or otherwise pry. Good practice of evasion in case you have to do it with the cops :-)

The only thing that I really dislike is people assuming you must be gay. If a couple dudes share a place to cut costs then they really think that. I think it was in a "Law and Order" where that was happening and the detective was dancing around it saying, "and he is your......" and guys says firm "ROOMMATE!"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 10th, 2022 at 5:32:10 AM permalink
______________


from a practical point of view
when a couple gets old - hopefully at least one of them will be astute enough able to help manage the care of the other when the other needs help

if you're alone in this situation - no family members to help you
you're likely to be at the mercy of public services and their decisionmaking
which is very likely to be horrible


.
Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4720
November 10th, 2022 at 5:32:22 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: Dieter

Quote: AZDuffman

Now, this happens often, and I know it happens behind my back. Whatever. People do not get the dumpster fire I see the dating market as.
link to original post


(quote trimmed!)


Have you considered the "I'm working on myself" style answers? Possibly alluding to therapy, prayer, or some other potentially useful red herring.
I found it to be an effective way to stop the nosy interrogations of matchmakers who screwed up their own relationships and decided to have a go at screwing up other peoples' for a while.
link to original post



Not so much as I have never cared if people like it or not. It is amusing if they keep trying to matchmake or otherwise pry. Good practice of evasion in case you have to do it with the cops :-)

The only thing that I really dislike is people assuming you must be gay. If a couple dudes share a place to cut costs then they really think that. I think it was in a "Law and Order" where that was happening and the detective was dancing around it saying, "and he is your......" and guys says firm "ROOMMATE!"
link to original post



Ahh, this makes sense. I highly value nosy busybodies leaving me alone. (Also, the cops never think it's as funny as you do.)

I really don't care if people think I'm straight, so long as any instinct to pray for my cure is done at great distance.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 5:44:46 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

______________


from a practical point of view
when a couple gets old - hopefully at least one of them will be astute enough able to help manage the care of the other when the other needs help

if you're alone in this situation - no family members to help you
you're likely to be at the mercy of public services and their decisionmaking
which is very likely to be horrible


.
link to original post



Some folks think along these lines yet still end up alone. My dad's paternal grandmother outlived her son and was in the old folks home for years. I have seen other old folks places. Lucky for me the men in my family die younger and I figure to be following the trend. They tell me I came close earlier this year and it sort of felt like it. If I get the same thing at age 65+ I will just lie back and let fate take me where it takes me.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 10th, 2022 at 5:50:26 AM permalink
_____________


as for being without a partner
there have been no posts about sexuality

without a partner you have 3 choices
prostitutes - no sex at all - and you know the other choice which I won't describe

how does that compare with having a partner when the sex is good________________________________???


.
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 5:59:28 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

_____________


as for being without a partner
there has been no posts about sexuality

without a partner you have 3 choices
prostitutes - no sex at all - and you know the other choice which I won't describe

how does that compare with having a partner when the sex is good________________???


.
link to original post



You put your drive for sex into something else. I have found guys with too high a sex drive end up either gay or in problems because of it. IIRC there is a chapter on this in "Think and Grow Rich."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 10th, 2022 at 6:05:08 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: lilredrooster

_____________


as for being without a partner
there has been no posts about sexuality

without a partner you have 3 choices
prostitutes - no sex at all - and you know the other choice which I won't describe

how does that compare with having a partner when the sex is good________________???


.
link to original post



You put your drive for sex into something else.

link to original post




that sounds good but it wouldn't have worked for me when I was very sexually active
no way I could tame the desire that way
I'm all but sure that many others could not handle it that way either


.
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 6:29:17 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: lilredrooster

_____________


as for being without a partner
there has been no posts about sexuality

without a partner you have 3 choices
prostitutes - no sex at all - and you know the other choice which I won't describe

how does that compare with having a partner when the sex is good________________???


.
link to original post



You put your drive for sex into something else.

link to original post




that sounds good but it wouldn't have worked for me when I was very sexually active
no way I could tame the desire that way
I'm all but sure that many others could not handle it that way either


.
link to original post



If it was easy anyone could do it. If was easy we would not have so many simply hideous looking prostitutes. Heck, I worked with one woman who if I told you how I described her as a supervisor after just a few minutes you would not believe what I said. I cannot believe I said it how I did. But between her personality and looks I might take prison over being married to her. Yet she had managed to snag her third husband when we worked for her.

I almost wish I filmed my team's reaction to what I said.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 15593
November 10th, 2022 at 7:04:38 AM permalink
I'm not sure if others will agree, but I find this to be pure comedy gold. Keep the juices flowing.
I'm about to break out my 1980s No MAAM shirts.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 6054
November 10th, 2022 at 7:42:20 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm not sure if others will agree, but I find this to be pure comedy gold. Keep the juices flowing.
I'm about to break out my 1980s No MAAM shirts.
link to original post




this was the great Al Bundy's (married with children tv show) response to Women's Bowling night replacing the Mens and the nudie bar being turned into a Women's coffehouse







.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 10, 2022
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10766
November 10th, 2022 at 3:15:40 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



Some folks think along these lines yet still end up alone. My dad's paternal grandmother outlived her son and was in the old folks home for years. I have seen other old folks places. Lucky for me the men in my family die younger and I figure to be following the trend. They tell me I came close earlier this year and it sort of felt like it. If I get the same thing at age 65+ I will just lie back and let fate take me where it takes me.



Do you have a Do Not Resuscitate directive? My wife says I can't have one until I turn 60, if it wasn't for her I would have one now. My first heart attack was at age 32 or so. Only four more years until my DNR.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
Joined: May 7, 2022
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 191
November 10th, 2022 at 4:36:57 PM permalink
I've been reading this thread with some amusement. Going from South to North, as it were

@DRich: If you want a DNR, there's nobody who can stop you from signing one. If she's welding the heart/lung machine into the outlet just so you keep delivering the paychecks, there's this marvelous invention called Life Insurance. Buy a high enough policy, and she'll be wanting to pull the plug between the T and P waves. (coronary humor)

@AZDuffman: Lots to unpack, but in the main: I agree with your points regarding the ethics of joining an advocacy group oriented towards men. I don't know enough about MGTOW to opine. Any article quoting the SPLC as an authority is fatally biased IMHO.

Also, if you are absolutely not interested in a relationship, that's your right as a human. IDGAF how you spend your time, so long as it's legal, and nobody's getting hurt.

However, I felt I should mention that people that are in great relationships (unless they are unusually gregarious) rarely trumpet just how great they're having it. The folks suffering want to tell you alllll about it. That simple fact of human nature does skew the landscape: many may see a sea of people desperately trying to have a good relationship and either failing to establish one or failing to maintain one. The central point is known, but often elided: it takes two to tango. It only requires one person to torpedo a relationship, but requires two to maintain one.

It was asked earlier how many members here are married. I am. Married once, 35+ years, still going strong. The years were not all sunshine and puppies, but certainly the last fifteen have been. So far in this thread, I have seen nobody cheer on relationships, so I figured I'd volunteer.

I realize this is a minority position, but consider this: I joined because I like to gamble as recreation. My wife is less thrilled than I am. Yet, she does not oppose me indulging in my 'hobby' so long as I communicate with her. And I accord her the same respect with regard to her hobbies. Still, it's nice to sit down to a fully comped Ruths Chris steak dinner with my sweetie and watch her smile.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
November 10th, 2022 at 4:56:56 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: AZDuffman



Some folks think along these lines yet still end up alone. My dad's paternal grandmother outlived her son and was in the old folks home for years. I have seen other old folks places. Lucky for me the men in my family die younger and I figure to be following the trend. They tell me I came close earlier this year and it sort of felt like it. If I get the same thing at age 65+ I will just lie back and let fate take me where it takes me.



Do you have a Do Not Resuscitate directive? My wife says I can't have one until I turn 60, if it wasn't for her I would have one now. My first heart attack was at age 32 or so. Only four more years until my DNR.
link to original post



I gotta get one. In the hospital I kind of said I wanted it and they said, "Bo, you are only 52!" I said resucitate but no machines. I don't know how much danger I was in at the time though. "At the time" meaning when they asked, after I got out they told me how bad I was. I plan to get it all together soon. Just keep procrastinating.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10766
November 10th, 2022 at 5:41:04 PM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

I've been reading this thread with some amusement. Going from South to North, as it were

@DRich: If you want a DNR, there's nobody who can stop you from signing one. If she's welding the heart/lung machine into the outlet just so you keep delivering the paychecks, there's this marvelous invention called Life Insurance. Buy a high enough policy, and she'll be wanting to pull the plug between the T and P waves. (coronary humor)



Actually, just the opposite. I have enough life insurance along with our savings she could retire at 46 years old. I think she actually likes me and wants me to live longer. Go figure.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11729
November 10th, 2022 at 7:00:05 PM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

I've been reading this thread with some amusement. Going from South to North, as it were

@DRich: If you want a DNR, there's nobody who can stop you from signing one. If she's welding the heart/lung machine into the outlet just so you keep delivering the paychecks, there's this marvelous invention called Life Insurance. Buy a high enough policy, and she'll be wanting to pull the plug between the T and P waves. (coronary humor)



That would make a good script idea for a romantic comedy. Healthy husband who wants to die waving his exorbitant life insurance policy under his reluctant wife's nose.

I don't know how it ends. I don't write scripts.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
Joined: May 7, 2022
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 191
November 10th, 2022 at 7:15:52 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: BillHasRetired

I've been reading this thread with some amusement. Going from South to North, as it were

@DRich: If you want a DNR, there's nobody who can stop you from signing one. If she's welding the heart/lung machine into the outlet just so you keep delivering the paychecks, there's this marvelous invention called Life Insurance. Buy a high enough policy, and she'll be wanting to pull the plug between the T and P waves. (coronary humor)



That would make a good script idea for a romantic comedy. Healthy husband who wants to die waving his exorbitant life insurance policy under his reluctant wife's nose.

I don't know how it ends. I don't write scripts.
link to original post

Whereas I write fiction from short stories to novel series.

What would most likely happen, this being a romcom and all, is her wine-swilling friends are trying to talk her into it, but she remembers all his beer-swilling friends getting stuff under his will, and she's torn. Although she would like the money and freedom, she would suddenly be without all those oppression stories that gets her all the cred with her friends. And the thought of his buddies getting all his stuff (instead of her selling it off for more money) makes her ill.

Maybe it would work. Depends on which way the wind blows in Hollywood. What am I saying? Hollywood would love another man-bashing romcom!
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 15593
November 10th, 2022 at 7:22:55 PM permalink
In the real world, can a spouse overrule a DNR?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
Joined: May 7, 2022
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 191
November 10th, 2022 at 7:39:56 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

In the real world, can a spouse overrule a DNR?
link to original post

A relative that has been in the health-care field for almost 45 years replied with an emphatic "NO".

Having said that, I am sure some slick lawyer can gum up the works, and litigation-shy hospitals will err on the side of "keep him huffing and puffing" until the court battles are over.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 120
  • Posts: 10198
November 10th, 2022 at 8:02:38 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

In the real world, can a spouse overrule a DNR?
link to original post



Iíve been involved in this very decision multiple times as a member of my hospitalís ethics committee. The basic answer is, no, a valid DNR can only be overridden by the person who had authority to sign it in the first place. That all being said, the spouse can argue Ďhe didnít know what it meantí. ĎHe told me to change it yesterdayí.

In the vast majority of cases, the spouse is on board with the DNR.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4720
November 11th, 2022 at 7:01:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: lilredrooster

_____________


as for being without a partner
there has been no posts about sexuality

without a partner you have 3 choices
prostitutes - no sex at all - and you know the other choice which I won't describe

how does that compare with having a partner when the sex is good________________???


.
link to original post



You put your drive for sex into something else. I have found guys with too high a sex drive end up either gay or in problems because of it. IIRC there is a chapter on this in "Think and Grow Rich."
link to original post



I've also seen this suggestion for deliberate celibacy in other books outlining a course for personal effectiveness.
Heck, I think I've seen something like it in Dan Savage's advice column.
I think it may be a personality sort.
Some people are willing and able to forego the pursuit of carnal delights for a time, and instead focus their efforts on personal betterment.
Others may reject the idea of becoming a hermit meditating astride a rock for 18 hours a day for months on end.
Each path surely offers its unique rewards.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
March 6th, 2023 at 2:50:06 AM permalink
Most young men are single. Most young women are not.

I was not going to bring this up at first, then not 1 but 3 of the bachelor-YT channels I sometimes watch discussed it. The article is anti-male to the point of misandry, but it is interesting and shows that more men are indeed going MGTOW even if they do not use the term. If the numbers are correct it appears the USA is going down the road of Japanese and South Korean societies where a huge number of younger males are just checking out.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 27469
March 6th, 2023 at 11:47:53 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Most young men are single. Most young women are not.

I was not going to bring this up at first, then not 1 but 3 of the bachelor-YT channels I sometimes watch discussed it. The article is anti-male to the point of misandry, but it is interesting and shows that more men are indeed going MGTOW even if they do not use the term. If the numbers are correct it appears the USA is going down the road of Japanese and South Korean societies where a huge number of younger males are just checking out.
link to original post



I saw a video of a woman talking to a bunch of college age women about marriage and how men are afraid to get married now because so many women all they want is to have a kid and get a divorce and have the guy support them for the rest of their lives. And these young girls were laughing and joking and saying what's wrong with that. The older woman was telling them you're just screwing yourself because men aren't stupid and they just will stop marrying which they are doing already.
It does not suck to be me.
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 2552
March 6th, 2023 at 12:01:37 PM permalink
Happens all the time.

No-fault divorce. Imagine a contract you could terminate at any time for any/no reason, then receive monthly payments from the other party plus a percentage of their assets
Itís all about making that GTA
LESLOSACKETT
LESLOSACKETT
Joined: Mar 6, 2023
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 22
March 6th, 2023 at 12:09:45 PM permalink
If your only reason for getting married is sex, you will be better off and happier buying it. When the need rises,
(pun intended )
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
March 6th, 2023 at 1:06:17 PM permalink
Quote: LESLOSACKETT

If your only reason for getting married is sex, you will be better off and happier buying it. When the need rises,
(pun intended )
link to original post



You are buying by getting married, leasing it....uh...otherwise.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
March 6th, 2023 at 1:16:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob



I saw a video of a woman talking to a bunch of college age women about marriage and how men are afraid to get married now because so many women all they want is to have a kid and get a divorce and have the guy support them for the rest of their lives. And these young girls were laughing and joking and saying what's wrong with that. The older woman was telling them you're just screwing yourself because men aren't stupid and they just will stop marrying which they are doing already.
link to original post



If you have the link please post.

I saw on a video all the guys women with college degrees exclude from consideration. No bachelors or higher, Trump supporter, Republican, will not get the virus vax, and even "male feminist." The college educated women all over 50% said they would not even consider guys who hold these views. ("Feminist male" was lower, still 1/3 or so.)

The non-college women were not near as choosy. It appears for the college educated group they may end up telling the next generation to be careful what they wish for. Men are checking out of college so a Husbandry Degree is not going to be so easy anymore. The male birth control pill may be just around the corner. But will that matter? By the numbers in the article it seems more and more guys will not play the sucker game.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 27469
March 6th, 2023 at 2:04:04 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: EvenBob



I saw a video of a woman talking to a bunch of college age women about marriage and how men are afraid to get married now because so many women all they want is to have a kid and get a divorce and have the guy support them for the rest of their lives. And these young girls were laughing and joking and saying what's wrong with that. The older woman was telling them you're just screwing yourself because men aren't stupid and they just will stop marrying which they are doing already.
link to original post



If you have the link please post.

I saw on a video all the guys women with college degrees exclude from consideration. No bachelors or higher, Trump supporter, Republican, will not get the virus vax, and even "male feminist." The college educated women all over 50% said they would not even consider guys who hold these views. ("Feminist male" was lower, still 1/3 or so.)

The non-college women were not near as choosy. It appears for the college educated group they may end up telling the next generation to be careful what they wish for. Men are checking out of college so a Husbandry Degree is not going to be so easy anymore. The male birth control pill may be just around the corner. But will that matter? By the numbers in the article it seems more and more guys will not play the sucker game.
link to original post



I look at so many videos I could never find it. And for intelligent educated women it's always been a sucker game it's just that there are so many educated women now and men are getting such a bad rap for being masculine that it's turned into a sporting game of how to screw the man. Marry a guy with a good job, have a kid, get divorced, gain a bunch of weight, and be supported for the next 25 years. Stay married the minimum amount of time so you get the maximum amount. And now women have this thing going where being morbidly obese is actually good for you and it's healthy. I mentioned this to my doctor last month and he said the stupidity of the general public never ceases to amaze him. I've never been a big fan of women and I love my wife but we don't live together for a reason. She would drive me nuts in a very short time. I have said for a long long time and I mean this, if I had a choice of living on a desert island for 3 years with a beautiful woman or a smart gay man, I would pick the gay man every time and I'm not the least big gay. Because with him at least I would have a good conversation and I could live without the sex. Being stuck with a woman for that long you'd be suicidal after the first two months.
It does not suck to be me.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 59
  • Posts: 4655
March 6th, 2023 at 3:28:40 PM permalink
I am reasonably happily married, but I find myself agreeing with much of what is being said. The rules regarding alimony and child support are far from symmetric. Men have no say on whether a pregnancy should go forward to term, but face decades of payments when it does.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
March 6th, 2023 at 3:48:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: EvenBob



I saw a video of a woman talking to a bunch of college age women about marriage and how men are afraid to get married now because so many women all they want is to have a kid and get a divorce and have the guy support them for the rest of their lives. And these young girls were laughing and joking and saying what's wrong with that. The older woman was telling them you're just screwing yourself because men aren't stupid and they just will stop marrying which they are doing already.
link to original post



If you have the link please post.

I saw on a video all the guys women with college degrees exclude from consideration. No bachelors or higher, Trump supporter, Republican, will not get the virus vax, and even "male feminist." The college educated women all over 50% said they would not even consider guys who hold these views. ("Feminist male" was lower, still 1/3 or so.)

The non-college women were not near as choosy. It appears for the college educated group they may end up telling the next generation to be careful what they wish for. Men are checking out of college so a Husbandry Degree is not going to be so easy anymore. The male birth control pill may be just around the corner. But will that matter? By the numbers in the article it seems more and more guys will not play the sucker game.
link to original post



I look at so many videos I could never find it. And for intelligent educated women it's always been a sucker game it's just that there are so many educated women now and men are getting such a bad rap for being masculine that it's turned into a sporting game of how to screw the man. Marry a guy with a good job, have a kid, get divorced, gain a bunch of weight, and be supported for the next 25 years. Stay married the minimum amount of time so you get the maximum amount. And now women have this thing going where being morbidly obese is actually good for you and it's healthy. I mentioned this to my doctor last month and he said the stupidity of the general public never ceases to amaze him. I've never been a big fan of women and I love my wife but we don't live together for a reason. She would drive me nuts in a very short time. I have said for a long long time and I mean this, if I had a choice of living on a desert island for 3 years with a beautiful woman or a smart gay man, I would pick the gay man every time and I'm not the least big gay. Because with him at least I would have a good conversation and I could live without the sex. Being stuck with a woman for that long you'd be suicidal after the first two months.
link to original post



On the obese thing did you see the Macy parade last year? A majorette on who must have weighed 250. We hear there is an "obesity epidemic" then we glorify obesity? I guess it reminded me that the parade has not been worth tuning in for over 10 years now. But that is just one example.

Tom Leykis used to warn male callers in CA that if it was even remotely bad to divorce after whatever the time was, maybe 5 years, because after that the guy was on the hook for life. Any guy who is age 30 almost has to have seen another guy wiped out by the family courts, unless it was he himself wiped out. I feel bad for guys who seriously want kids and a family. For those of us who don't it is easier, just avoid it. But they have to take huge chances.

I had an employee had his paycheck wiped down to about $40 for a week (1997) because of child support for a kid he had not seen in 18 years. Guy was a drunk then, cleaned up his life, but support for a then adult kid was wiping him out. Poor guy died a week before it was cleared up.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11729
March 6th, 2023 at 3:49:57 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I am reasonably happily married, but I find myself agreeing with much of what is being said. The rules regarding alimony and child support are far from symmetric. Men have no say on whether a pregnancy should go forward to term, but face decades of payments when it does.
link to original post



Sorry, you still owe them for not allowing them to vote, being able to beat them with a stick legally, and more or less treating them like property. Your ancestors didnít pay the bill, so youíre stuck with it. Sins of the fathers and all.

And youíre paid up when they say so.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13434
March 6th, 2023 at 4:00:42 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: gordonm888

I am reasonably happily married, but I find myself agreeing with much of what is being said. The rules regarding alimony and child support are far from symmetric. Men have no say on whether a pregnancy should go forward to term, but face decades of payments when it does.
link to original post



Sorry, you still owe them for not allowing them to vote, being able to beat them with a stick legally, and more or less treating them like property. Your ancestors didnít pay the bill, so youíre stuck with it. Sins of the fathers and all.

And youíre paid up when they say so.
link to original post



Nonsense.

Equality means more than just for the fun stuff.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: