5 votes (16.66%)
1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 12th, 2018 at 7:42:27 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Acknowledged. In fact, I will let her know that later this week, when she returns my car that she is borrowing for a week or so.

You can see a photo of Maria, at Burning Man, in one of her BM outfits here. (I don't have to tell you which photo it is... you will be able to figure it out easily.)

Wow, Ed... Now I understand why it is called “Burning Man”. That is some hot stuff to handle.

However, Wizard reports that after a few minutes in the hot dust, everyone looks like a hobo.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
September 12th, 2018 at 8:41:57 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Wizard reports that after a few minutes in the hot dust, everyone looks like a hobo.

Yep, with those dusty medium-heel boots and maybe a little dirt on her knee, Maria sure looks like a hobo in her BM photo. Just not like any hobo I have encountered before.     ;-)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1332
September 13th, 2018 at 6:16:02 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Acknowledged. In fact, I will let her know that later this week, when she returns my car that she is borrowing for a week or so.

You can see a photo of Maria, at Burning Man, in one of her BM outfits here. (I don't have to tell you which photo it is... you will be able to figure it out easily.)

Thanks Ed! That is a great BM outfit and bike.

Before I go back, I think I'll watch Mad Max for some outfit ideas. In fact, Halloween is coming up, maybe I should try to get something together and give it a test run then.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
September 13th, 2018 at 6:41:37 AM permalink
Wizard, in your first paragraph you say that Black Rock is the second most populated city in Nevada. That doesn't sound correct to me. Maybe it used to be, but I really doubt that it still is. I believe Henderson now has about 300,000 residents, is BM bigger than that?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
September 13th, 2018 at 7:12:38 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Before I go back, I think I'll watch Mad Max for some outfit ideas. In fact, Halloween is coming up, maybe I should try to get something together and give it a test run then.

If you are going to go the Mad Max route, you could go as the gyro captain from The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2):

This would solve your goggles issue too! (Snake optional)

Personally, I'd avoid the a$$le$$ chaps look, but maybe that's just me. Although, if you got a Wez costume:

you could also wear it to Raiders games next year! ;)

ETA: I enjoyed the article. Some interesting goings on, but all in all, it's probably not my cup of tea.
Last edited by: Joeman on Sep 13, 2018
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
September 13th, 2018 at 8:03:42 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I just finished my article BURNING MAN -- TO GO OR NOT TO GO. I put a fair bit of time into my articles, so please have a look. As always, I welcome all questions, comments, and corrections.

I agree with others - this is an excellent article. It addresses a difficult question that many people have and provides lots of actionable and helpful information. Nothing is white-washed in the interest of marketing or viewpoint. The structure of the article and content are excellent - it is analysis by a very intelligent, logical, thoughtful person with no axe to grind.

Hopefully, this article is tagged in such a way that it will get a lot of hits from non-gamblers who are searching the subject of BM because it deserves to be widely read. I think you might be able to sell some version of this to a national print magazine.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 13th, 2018 at 9:03:36 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Wizard, in your first paragraph you say that Black Rock is the second most populated city in Nevada. That doesn't sound correct to me. Maybe it used to be, but I really doubt that it still is. I believe Henderson now has about 300,000 residents, is BM bigger than that?

That's what the greeter told me when I entered. I was tempted to argue with the guy, but he was being very nice, so I didn't get into it.

Judging by this list of Populations of Nevada Cities, Black Rock City would be sixth, just below Sparks.

Okay, I'll go back and correct that.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 13th, 2018 at 9:07:44 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I agree with others - this is an excellent article.

Thank you Gordon! Your compliments mean a lot to me.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 13th, 2018 at 10:52:00 AM permalink
I enjoyed the article and the 747 video. While BM is something I don't have a desire to attend, your story, posts, etc. have taught me about something I had heard of but knew nothing about.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 15
September 13th, 2018 at 8:40:00 PM permalink
Thanks for a good read. I've thought of going, but I'd go nuts with both the dust and all the people. Maybe I'll just show up a few weeks after it's over.

Do you have any idea how they brought things like the plane in? Was it in pieces? Seems like it would be a herculean effort for something who's life is very brief.

• Jump to: