1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1332
September 11th, 2018 at 10:28:46 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Been held for about 50 years now, maybe longer. You would enjoy it a LOT. Huge crowd of fun and fit people making their way across Iowa. Takes a long time, but it's a party the whole way. You might consider a father-son adventure.

Thanks! That does indeed look like the kind of thing I would enjoy. I'll keep it in mind for 2019.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
September 11th, 2018 at 1:31:43 PM permalink
You'll get tired of looking at corn while perched on your unicycle seat.
"What, me worry?"
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 213
September 11th, 2018 at 4:15:01 PM permalink
Regarding the mysterious "JB":

Quote: Wizard

Are you saying he has been before? That would surprise me a great deal.

Forum member MichaelBluejay has been many times, and quit, so I hope he can comment on the evolution of the event.

JB, Bluejay, BJ, whatever.

OK, how about the American Birkebeiner ? Heard of that one ? Assault on Mt Mitchell ? Boston Marathon ? Excellent article ideas, just sayin'.....
All around me are familiar faces / Worn out places, worn out faces / Bright and early for their daily races / Going nowhere, going nowhere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 12th, 2018 at 2:38:38 PM permalink
I just finished my article BURNING MAN -- TO GO OR NOT TO GO. I put a fair bit of time into my articles, so please have a look. As always, I welcome all questions, comments, and corrections.

My proofreader suggested that I add more material about my own experience there, but she didn't know I already had a video on that. The purpose of this article is to give some reasons to go and not go as well as some advice for those attending for the first time. Maybe I should have broken it into two articles, but when I get started on something, it's hard to stop.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
September 12th, 2018 at 3:06:21 PM permalink

I just finished my article BURNING MAN -- TO GO OR NOT TO GO. I put a fair bit of time into my articles, so please have a look. As always, I welcome all questions, comments, and corrections.

My proofreader suggested that I add more material about my own experience there, but she didn't know I already had a video on that. The purpose of this article is to give some reasons to go and not go as well as some advice for those attending for the first time. Maybe I should have broken it into two articles, but when I get started on something, it's hard to stop.

Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed the article. I think I would have really enjoyed burning man in my college or post-college bachelor days. Not at the point in my life right now where I think I could do this.

One typo I noticed, the final sentence is missing a “how” before “it goes.”
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
September 12th, 2018 at 4:56:46 PM permalink

Quote: third sentence

At the end, the remove or burn it down.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
September 12th, 2018 at 5:28:15 PM permalink
Good write up, wiz.

"Playa feet?"
"What, me worry?"
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 16
September 12th, 2018 at 5:40:42 PM permalink

I enjoyed reading it. I think you did a great job summing up the experience, especially considering it was your first Burn.

(Of course, maybe because it was your first Burn that you did such a great job... because everything was new to you and could look at it and see everything with "fresh eyes."

Note: The article was not at all long nor was it rambling. You said that "you could go on with Burning Man advice and stories..." If that is true, then you should add a few more stories. It's somewhat sad that our society today is so used to "text messages" and "tweets" that an article the size of yours is now considered a "long" article! Jeez, doesn't anyone take time to read anymore? Never apologize for a lengthy article, of any kind. I, for one, enjoy a well-written and lengthy article. The more entertaining it is, the less I want it to end!

A friend of mine that I've known for almost 40 years goes each and every year. She wouldn't miss it for the world. Even before the current event is over with, she is already making plans to return next year. And yet I learned more from your posts and articles than I ever have from her.

You probably answered this already, but if so I didn't see it. It is permissible to arrive a couple of days late (to avoid the crowd of people getting in) and then to leave a day or two early? If I ever did go, I suspect I would not want to commit myself to an entire full week of this. (Or full ten days or whatever it is.) I'd most likely want to start off slow and only spend... say, three days there. I think I could see a lot in three days and get an idea of what it is like.

One typo found: The cure is cleaning your feet well and then soaking THEN in a mixture of three parts water...
Last edited by: EdCollins on Sep 12, 2018
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 12th, 2018 at 6:39:17 PM permalink
Hi Ed, thanks so much for your comments.

I'd like to think that seeing Burning Man through the eyes of a newcomer did help. Many have claimed my writings about gambling suffer the same problem, that I assume my audience knows things that they don't and I'm speaking over their heads. I would like to think there is a place for both sides.

To answer your question, I arrived late to BM and left early. I'm terribly impatient with lines and have heard that waits of eight hours are common if you try to arrive or leave on time. You can come or go whenever you want. In retrospect, if I return, I'll stretch out the experience at the cost of waiting lines. The lines are probably not so bad, as you don't creep forward an inch at a time, like a Los Angeles traffic jam, but they move your forward in spurts. To be more specific, if I returned, I would arrive on Monday and delay leaving until the crowds had thinned out. I hear they report on wait times on Burning Man radio, but can't confirm or deny.

In conclusion, if you could pass onto your friend that if her and her group ever have an extra ticket, I would be interested in buying it. I'm sure I'll return, but it is more a question of when. 90% of the people in my circle of friends are not the type who would like it.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 16
September 12th, 2018 at 6:51:04 PM permalink

In conclusion, if you could pass onto your friend that if her and her group ever have an extra ticket, I would be interested in buying it.

Acknowledged. In fact, I will let her know that later this week, when she returns my car that she is borrowing for a week or so.

You can see a photo of Maria, at Burning Man, in one of her BM outfits here. (I don't have to tell you which photo it is... you will be able to figure it out easily.)

• Jump to: