1 vote (3.44%)
10 votes (34.48%)

29 members have voted

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
January 16th, 2015 at 5:57:12 PM permalink
Any Deadheads here?
The band is getting back together for just 3 more shows.
I'm pretty psyched.
Soldier Field Chicago with the remaining 4 original members with Bruce Hornsby on piano and Trey Anastasio (Phish) on lead guitar.
July 3, 4, 5 Just 3 shows, no tour.
I was there 20 years ago. Last show was at Soldier Field. I had 6th row center (thank you Grateful Dead Ticket sales)
I had no idea it was the last show. At the time I had already received my fall tour tickets for Madison Square Garden.
That nite at soldier field , on a whim, decided to take my camera in with the zoom lens. Got a ton of shots of the boys and of course Jerry.
Jerry passed away a month later.
Well its the 50 year anniversary of the band and 20 years since the last official show.

Me and my buddy are doubling down. Tickets don't go on sale till next month. Thankfully Grateful Dead Ticket sales has 1st crack. Its a convoluted mail order ticket system but I love it. They treated me well back in the day. I often got seats in the 1st 10 rows. Mail order for tickets starts Tuesday. I will order 6 tix, 2 each nite and my buddy will do the same on his end. Crossing my fingers.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
January 16th, 2015 at 6:16:05 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Any Deadheads here?
The band is getting back together for just 3 more shows.
I'm pretty psyched.
Soldier Field Chicago with the remaining 4 original members with Bruce Hornsby on piano and Trey Anastasio (Phish) on lead guitar.
July 3, 4, 5 Just 3 shows, no tour.
I was there 20 years ago. Last show was at Soldier Field. I had 6th row center (thank you Grateful Dead Ticket sales)
I had no idea it was the last show. At the time I had already received my fall tour tickets for Madison Square Garden.
That nite at soldier field , on a whim, decided to take my camera in with the zoom lens. Got a ton of shots of the boys and of course Jerry.
Jerry passed away a month later.
Well its the 50 year anniversary of the band and 20 years since the last official show.

Me and my buddy are doubling down. Tickets don't go on sale till next month. Thankfully Grateful Dead Ticket sales has 1st crack. Its a convoluted mail order ticket system but I love it. They treated me well back in the day. I often got seats in the 1st 10 rows. Mail order for tickets starts Tuesday. I will order 6 tix, 2 each nite and my buddy will do the same on his end. Crossing my fingers.

I have been listening to the dead more recently. My current favorite is Going down the road feeling bad. In my younger days I was more of a southern rock fan.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 187
January 16th, 2015 at 6:20:33 PM permalink
I have 'heard' of the Grateful Dead. I'm afraid that's about as far as I can go. I am sure if I look up their hits, there will be some that I recognize.

Enjoy the show Terapined.

I am not making fun or belittling anyone when I say 50 years? Doesn't than make them well into their 70's perhaps even close to 80? Yikes.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
January 16th, 2015 at 6:28:15 PM permalink
Local College radio station in Spindale NC WNCW has a show every Wednesday night 9 to Midnight called "Dead Air" It streams if you are interested. They were in the 70's I don't remember much about the 70's except it was colorful.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
terapined
terapined
January 16th, 2015 at 6:32:37 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I have 'heard' of the Grateful Dead. I'm afraid that's about as far as I can go. I am sure if I look up their hits, there will be some that I recognize.

Enjoy the show Terapined.

I am not making fun or belittling anyone when I say 50 years? Doesn't than make them well into their 70's perhaps even close to 80? Yikes.

They are getting old. I was at the show that Phil Lesh, bass, turned 50, Spring tour 1990. So that makes Phil 75. The Stones are still rocking and touring, they put their band together around 1965 also :-)
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 17th, 2015 at 4:23:29 AM permalink
I am nothing close to a Deadhead but I grew up in that era and I enjoy all music. I've seen the band a few times over the years, the last time being in 1988 at what was then called the Centrum in Worcester, MA. Touch Of Grey was a big hit then and they led off with it at the show I attended. Were you there, terapined? It was in April.

Is it a coincidence that these shows are in Chicago or is it something more? Soldier Field was the Dead's last official concert in July of 1995 and Jerry died a month later.

At 60,000 seats, this is one of the smallest stadiums in the country. We've got Met Life at the Meadowlands at 85,000 and many colleges and universities seat 100,000. When the field seats are in place, Soldier Field should be able to accommodate 100,000. The question I have is are there still enough Deadheads to sell out these shows? If yes then I would engage several people to help secure tickets. You won't get stuck with them.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
January 17th, 2015 at 4:38:31 AM permalink
Yea there are still some familiar faces in the group, but without Jerry Garcia, they just are not the Dead to me. But it will be packed and I am sure a great show.
Dieter
Dieter
  • Threads: 7
January 17th, 2015 at 6:57:16 AM permalink
For some reason, the thread title jumped out at me, and "Cumberland Blues" started playing in my head.

In the days of my yourh, I was more of a Led Zeppelin fan. The music of the Grateful Dead is appealing more and more these days.

Don't think I'll make the show.
May the cards fall in your favor.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 19
January 17th, 2015 at 7:34:49 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

... They were in the 70's I don't remember much about the 70's except it was colorful.

People tell me I had a GREAT time in the '70's!

Saw the Dead at the Cow Palace back in the day. The weird and eccentric factor went exponential when they played in the San Francisco area, their home turf. It was far more than a concert - it was a happening, man. I recall munching on a hot-dog [hungry for some reason :-)] near the OD clinic which had the door painted blue with clouds on it. The door burst open and a wild-eyed dude ran out screaming, "They're trying to kill me!" Three guys in hospital greens ran out after him, tackled him and literally dragged him back through the door by his feet. No one was concerned in the least. I was wearing bluejeans and a flannel shirt: not right for the event. Saw guys in tutus, tuxedos, togas, etc. The women were over-the-top wild. On entering the arena I saw two guys standing on an amp swapping spit and I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

I hope you will find the magic still lives for a Dead concert. Wishing you great vibes, man.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
terapined
terapined
January 17th, 2015 at 8:24:11 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I am nothing close to a Deadhead but I grew up in that era and I enjoy all music. I've seen the band a few times over the years, the last time being in 1988 at what was then called the Centrum in Worcester, MA. Touch Of Grey was a big hit then and they led off with it at the show I attended. Were you there, terapined? It was in April..

No I wasn't at this show. 1988 I saw them 2 times, both Capitol Center shows in Landover Maryland.
If you want to listen to the Centrum Worcester show you were at, heres the link
https://archive.org/details/gd1988-04-07.sbd.miller.91163.sbeok.flac16

Quote: 1BB

Is it a coincidence that these shows are in Chicago or is it something more? Soldier Field was the Dead's last official concert in July of 1995 and Jerry died a month later.

At 60,000 seats, this is one of the smallest stadiums in the country. We've got Met Life at the Meadowlands at 85,000 and many colleges and universities seat 100,000. When the field seats are in place, Soldier Field should be able to accommodate 100,000. The question I have is are there still enough Deadheads to sell out these shows? If yes then I would engage several people to help secure tickets. You won't get stuck with them.

Majority of deadheads live on the East or West Coast. Chicago sits smack in the middle of the country. Difficult to get to but not to difficult. They thought about a last tour but that complicates things. Just 3 shows makes for easy planning. They thought about doing a music festival, Bonnaroo festival offered them 3 mil. Again they decided to keep things simple, 3 evenings with just the Grateful Dead. Without Trey, tickets probably not too difficult. With Trey, yea this will be an absolute sell out. Trey and his band Phish are able to fill large venues on their own. I think a lot of deadheads and Phishheads will be attending. I live in Florida and my tour buddy lives in Maryland. We discussed it and well, its a biggie and the last chapter,so lets do it. I'm sure other middle aged deadheads like me are having the same conversation.

• Jump to: