Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
May 28th, 2010 at 2:53:50 PM permalink
Here are 30 movies I highly enjoyed. Not to say my favorite 30, just the first 30 that came to my mind. I tried to have a mixture of well-known classics and movies you've likely never heard of. I'm open to other such lists, as I often have no idea what to put in my own queue. The Netflix recommendations feature has let me down many times.

AI
Alien
Boogie Nights
Borat
Cast Away
Clockwork Orange
Downfall
Easy Rider
Fargo
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Full Metal Jacket
Heat
I Am Legend
Lilya 4ever
Monster's Ball
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Owning Mahoney
Pulp Fiction
Qiu Ju da guan si
Rounders
Saturday Night Fever
Shawshank Redemption
Silence of the Lambs
Sixth Sense
Stuey
Supersize Me
The People vs. Larry Flynt
The Pursuit of Happiness
To Live
Y Tu Mama Tambien
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 28th, 2010 at 3:22:43 PM permalink
Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon
Hero
Jet Li's Fearless
Eat Drink Man Woman
Ran

Amelie
La Cage aux Folles
La Vie en Rose

Run Lola Run

Fanny and Alexander
My Life as a Dog

Life is Beautiful
Cinema Paradiso
Il Postino

Monsoon Wedding
Das Boot

Pan's Labrynth
Like Water for Chocolate
The Motorcycle Diaries
Volver
Habla Con Ella
All about my Mother
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Central Station
City of God
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 28th, 2010 at 4:21:23 PM permalink
As far as I am concerned, NetFlix is in the same position as Applebees.
They open up too many pop-up windows and had too many marketing gimmicks. They annoyed so much that I avoid them.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
May 28th, 2010 at 4:25:54 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

They open up too many pop-up windows and had too many marketing gimmicks. They annoyed so much that I avoid them.

Fair point, but I would give the service an A-. The turnaround time between sending a DVD back and getting the next one is consistently about three days. Sometimes when they run a bit late they send you an extra one for free. My biggest issue is most of their DVD's are beat to hell. You need a good player to read them.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
May 28th, 2010 at 4:31:32 PM permalink
To make a change, (newer) TV shows:

Chuck
Burn Notice
V

These three shows are very fun for nerds, which I get the feeling everyone that frequents this forum is. Admit it guys, we all have a little nerd in us. V was so good that I started watching it at midnight while doing homework then couldn't stop and watched the entire first season til 8am then skipped classes and woke up at 5pm. Burn Notice is a VERY fun show because he's basically one of the best spies in the world, helping random people in Miami, and telling people what he's doing... such as how to make a cell phone a bug. Chuck is similar to burn notice, with no explanations, more of a "love" story, and more humor. I would recommend giving the first season of each of these shows a shot, the first two (Chuck/Burn Notice) are probably already on DVD. I just rip my stuff off, so yeah haha.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 170
May 28th, 2010 at 6:44:46 PM permalink
Here's 3 old ones I liked:

It happened one Night (1934) (older than Moses as movies go, but still enjoyable)
Prince of Foxes (1949) (perhaps it will seem corny, but stick with it and enjoy the on-location scenery too)
Laura (1944) (a hot actress for the times, even now, pretty hot I'd say)

some or all can be found online for free.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
May 28th, 2010 at 8:20:45 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I second that. Anyone that pollutes the world with that many pop-ups gets none of my business.
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
May 28th, 2010 at 10:18:22 PM permalink
I forgot that pop-ups were even a thing. AdBlock Plus for Firefox and AdThwart for Google Chrome make them no longer a worry.

That being said, I love NetFlix streaming. Pretty much everything I watched is something streamed to my Xbox 360. The integration is great, the library is good enough to have enough for me to watch that I hardly ever get bored of it.

Nice to see some Spanish films that I saw during classes at UT Austin. I wholeheartedly endorse y tu mama tambien, the motorcycle diaries, and Todo Sobre Mi Madre.
jjc312pitt
jjc312pitt
  • Threads: 0
May 28th, 2010 at 10:32:37 PM permalink
Goodfellas?
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 85
May 29th, 2010 at 9:32:57 PM permalink
Wizard,

I'm surprised that since this is a Vegas like forum, you did not list Leaving Las Vegas in your list. Elizabeth Shue's best acting and a pitiful Nicholas Cage. The Good Thief with Nick Nolte was also very good. Glad to see you liked Y Tu Mama Tambien, a classic.

I also really liked Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Whale Rider, Duets, and the Lord of Rings trilogy.

• Jump to: