Thread Rating:

Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
June 8th, 2014 at 6:33:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm open to negotiation, but tricks are not my strong suit. Personally, I'd prefer ten miles on a paved bike path.

How about a race from the El Cortez to the Plaza before the McNuggets challenge down Fremont Street? With all the pedestrians it should be interesting.

Yeah, I don't do any tricks either. I do like the idea of weaving through foot traffic though. I spent all day yesterday downtown, actually.
aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 8th, 2014 at 7:12:54 AM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Yeah, I don't do any tricks either. I do like the idea of weaving through foot traffic though. I spent all day yesterday downtown, actually.

How about this circuit. It is 0.75 miles. I'm open to some kind of punishment for each time the feet hit the ground. How about either eating one McNugget or doing one squat thrust (what many call a burpee).

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 8th, 2014 at 11:21:27 AM permalink
Better yet, how about this one.

3.2 miles.
Ahigh
Ahigh
June 8th, 2014 at 11:26:17 AM permalink
That looks like fun. I have no idea what to bet on, but if it's a race, I'm pretty sure you'd beat me. I expect that both of us could make it from the D to the Golden Gate without putting a foot down. The only challenge in not putting a foot down might be interference with foot traffic or crosswalk and timing or police telling us we can't do what we're doing.

No matter the competition, the entertainment will be in capturing the journey. So I imagine we could both hold GoPro Hero sticks too, which would give opportunity to get some laughs on camera. Maybe the challenge should be to eat six McNuggets as they are handed to you by the person filming you as you ride and film yourself without putting a foot down.

Maybe we could see who could get the most high fives along the way while eating nuggets? Or putting money in the performers' collection buckets while cruising the path. It might actually be ideal if the cameras were being held by someone walking the path and we make weaving circular paths that average out to a walking pace to maximize the attention from onlookers curious what is going on getting it all on film.
aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 8th, 2014 at 11:42:56 AM permalink

That looks like fun....

I was planning to wear a GoPro on my head personally. Maybe a high-five will erase a penalty for touching the ground with ones feet.

I personally oppose being forced to eat McNuggets, thus my squat thrust option.

I think we should both use a unicycle with the same wheel diameter. I have both a 20" and 24". I'd suggest we agree on 20". If you're going to use the one with the thick tire I can give you a handicap of some kind. Like I have to also do x push-ups, which cut into my time.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
June 8th, 2014 at 12:49:58 PM permalink
Vegas high temp
Sun 102F, Mon, 104, Tues 106

It may be bouncing around 108-1100 not long from now.

Sure you don't want to ride on Mt Charleston?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 8th, 2014 at 1:26:39 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Vegas high temp

Since it's Vegas, I can't even tell if that's a typo ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 8th, 2014 at 1:28:21 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Quote: rxwine

Vegas high temp

Since it's Vegas, I can't even tell if that's a typo ;)

lol my players club cards in the car all have warped. I'm starting to bend them in arcs so I know to never forget them in a slot machine.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 8th, 2014 at 9:36:48 PM permalink
Oh man. This sounds awesome.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Ahigh
Ahigh
June 9th, 2014 at 5:20:09 PM permalink
I don't like the longer loop. I want to try to keep the entire duration of the event entertaining for the camera. In fact, for the segment on Ogden Ave, I think it might be a good idea to stick to the southern sidewalk exclusively and try to make sure there is enough going on that it's not boring for viewers. This could be as simple as telling some guys (ahem) who want a few free beers (ahem) we'll toss them a few bucks if we see them along the way.

If you want to make it a bit longer, we could include El Cortez and Insert Coins along the route.
aahigh.com
Ahigh
Ahigh
June 11th, 2014 at 11:40:20 AM permalink
I am still WAY out of shape for this, but it will be fun.
aahigh.com
Ahigh
Ahigh
July 5th, 2014 at 12:27:48 PM permalink
This is coming up. I am still out of shape and I have not been doing any exercise to prepare. I am so used to going solo on my trips downtown and walking. I am starting to worry that I'm not up to doing this.
aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 5th, 2014 at 1:02:22 PM permalink

I am starting to worry that I'm not up to doing this.

Would I be breaking forum rules if I made chicken noises?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 5th, 2014 at 2:45:11 PM permalink

This is coming up. I am still out of shape and I have not been doing any exercise to prepare. I am so used to going solo on my trips downtown and walking. I am starting to worry that I'm not up to doing this.

He's hustling you!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ahigh
Ahigh
July 5th, 2014 at 5:25:43 PM permalink
I have one-wheel balancing skills. I'm just old and I run out of breath easily is all.

<image deleted>

That shot is more than ten years old already. LOL. I haven't even touched a motorcycle in over a year.

We'll figure out something that's not totally embarrassing (I hope).
aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 6th, 2014 at 2:42:18 PM permalink

Okay, how about I give you a handicap and we observe these separate routes:

Red = Ahigh
Blue = Wizard
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 6th, 2014 at 3:19:02 PM permalink

Okay, how about I give you a handicap and we observe these separate routes:

How do you handle the traffic lights?

How about this circuit. It is 0.75 miles. I'm open to some kind of punishment for each time the feet hit the ground. How about either eating one McNugget or doing one squat thrust (what many call a burpee).

Sorry, but I'm in pedantic mode today, but to be honest, I thought they were the same thing (thanks to a junior high school gym PE teacher) until a few years ago. A squat thrust is just the "legs out, legs back" part of a burpee (put another way, a burpee starts in a standing position and goes "squat down, legs out, legs back, stand up").
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 6th, 2014 at 4:07:08 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

How do you handle the traffic lights?

I think we'll have to negotiate the details tomorrow at McDonalds. I'd prefer to keep it simple and if you get/fall off then you just have to get back on again. You lose time having to mount the unicycle doing so. I'd also prefer to see a rule that only self-mounts are allowed.

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm in pedantic mode today, but to be honest, I thought they were the same thing (thanks to a junior high school gym PE teacher) until a few years ago. A squat thrust is just the "legs out, legs back" part of a burpee (put another way, a burpee starts in a standing position and goes "squat down, legs out, legs back, stand up").

I think you're right. When I worked at a summer camp in 1989 a squat thrust was like a burpee, but you didn't have to jump, just stand up.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 6th, 2014 at 4:32:00 PM permalink

I think you're right. When I worked at a summer camp in 1989 a squat thrust was like a burpee, but you didn't have to jump, just stand up.

You don't have to stand up at all for a squat-thrust, AFAIK - your hands are always on the ground. (Remember the old Superstars TV series? Whenever they had "worldwide" competitions, one of the events was a pull-ups and squat-thrusts, and this is how the squat-thrusts were done on that show.) I don't remember any "jumping" for a burpee, either.

The way I learned them:
There are three positions - (1) standing up, (2) "squat", with hands touching the ground, and (3) the "up position" for push-ups (hands on the ground, arms extended, legs extended behind you).
A squat-thrust starts with #2 and goes 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3,...
A burpee starts with #1 and goes 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2,...

As for falling, there are rules for unicycle racing, although in most cases, unicycle races appear to be done on running tracks. Apparently, if falling off is allowed (normally, it's an automatic DQ), you have to get back on at the point where the fallen unicycle stands, without running to it; if you fell across the finish line, you have to go back behind the line, remount, and cross on the unicycle.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 6th, 2014 at 4:46:58 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

A squat thrust is just the "legs out, legs back" part of a burpee (put another way, a burpee starts in a standing position and goes "squat down, legs out, legs back, stand up").

Any of you who have met me know that it is obvious that I do not participate in such calisthenics. At least I haven't in decades. However, I do remember the terminology that they used in Army basic training back in 1969. There/then a squat thrust was a 4-count exercise with each rep starting and ending in the standing position, exactly as ThatDonGuy described a burpee (which I had never heard of before). A related exercise was the 8-count pushup, which was the same as a squat thrust, except that while in the legs-out position you added two pushups, down-up-down-up.
Ahigh
Ahigh
July 7th, 2014 at 2:48:30 PM permalink
I think I'm going to chicken out of this whole thing. I had a pretty shitty day already, and I'm just not up for this at all in my mental state.

Sorry guys, but have fun with the other festivities.

I deserve all the abuse I'm sure to get for not showing up this evening. So feel free to unload.
aahigh.com
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
June 20th, 2017 at 6:19:56 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I would like to see you do it in Pittsburgh with our hills. I think that would be entertaining. I can't imagine going downhill on one.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/national/four+unicycles+only+team+finish+gruelling+yukon+relay+after/13458246/story.html
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 20th, 2017 at 8:48:29 AM permalink
Remember the "Monkees"?

Are those unicycles with training wheels or are they riding a purpose built modified tricycle?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 20th, 2017 at 12:53:34 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Are those unicycles with training wheels or are they riding a purpose built modified tricycle?

I think they are training wheels.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
September 28th, 2018 at 5:54:58 PM permalink
This Yelp photo was featured on Bing today. Yes, I occasionally use Bing.

100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 639
September 28th, 2018 at 6:05:20 PM permalink
wiz,

you learn to jump rope on a unicycle yet?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 28th, 2018 at 6:15:01 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

you learn to jump rope on a unicycle yet?

No, not in my plans either.

About that picture, I imagine an elementary school has a unicycle program, which I applaud. Those were all kid's unicycles.

Some high school Doc is familiar with has a unicycle program.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
djatc
September 29th, 2018 at 12:22:18 AM permalink

...Some high school Doc is familiar with has a unicycle program.

Maybe the “Uni”-versity of South Carolina? hehe
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
September 29th, 2018 at 1:05:20 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Maybe the “Uni”-versity of South Carolina? hehe

take this "thank you" and get out
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 29th, 2018 at 2:04:13 AM permalink
Does a unicycle require a lot of core strength? What most of us be unable to walk for a day if we tried riding one, because we would be so sore?
I am a robot.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
September 29th, 2018 at 7:57:43 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Does a unicycle require a lot of core strength? What most of us be unable to walk for a day if we tried riding one, because we would be so sore?

No. It's all just learning to balance. You won't get any more sore muscles than from riding a bicycle. I mean, maybe if you were on it for hours, you'd be sore, but that's just because you're getting hours of exercise, and not specifically from the unicycle.

That's my opinion from my limited unicycle experience.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
September 29th, 2018 at 10:50:32 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Yes, it does. That is one of the best reasons to learn to ride. It does take some time to build up your strength and distance. However, you don't need any pre-conditioning. For most people, a strong enough desire and a unicycle are all you need. I've never known anyone who truly tried to learn the unicycle and failed.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2018 at 10:53:10 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

No. It's all just learning to balance. You won't get any more sore muscles than from riding a bicycle. I mean, maybe if you were on it for hours, you'd be sore, but that's just because you're getting hours of exercise, and not specifically from the unicycle.

I disagree with this. You hit all kinds of muscles with a unicycle without even realizing it. Your whole body gets involved to stay balanced. After a long ride, you'll have a good soreness all over your body. Road biking does not require much upper body strength. Technical mountain biking does his the arms pretty well.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
September 29th, 2018 at 11:20:22 AM permalink
Hmm. Well, when I was learning the unicycle, I was already working out a lot at that time, lifting weights and doing some kickboxing. So, that's probably why I didn't notice any issues with soreness or muscular endurance when it came time for unicycle practice.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2018 at 12:16:33 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Hmm. Well, when I was learning the unicycle, I was already working out a lot at that time, lifting weights and doing some kickboxing. So, that's probably why I didn't notice any issues with soreness or muscular endurance when it came time for unicycle practice.

"Your mileage will vary, as they say." Hiking was my main thing before I switched to unicycling, so probably needed the upper body workout more than you did.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
ksdjdj
April 20th, 2020 at 7:13:14 PM permalink
As some of you may remember, I rode my unicycle 50 miles as a challenge for my 50th birthday.

My 55th birthday is coming up in about a month and I'm thinking of doing a 55 mile ride. Although I ride my unicycle about 5 miles most days, I haven't done a long ride in ages. However, I'm in generally good shape and think my chances are pretty good if I rise to the occation.

That said, as with the 50th birthday challenge, I'm unsure of which unicycle to ride, the one with a 29" wheel or 36". If you list the pros and cons, the 36" is better in every way, except it's hard to mount with nothing to lean on, especially when tired.

As an experiment, I did a 1.34 mile loop around my neighborhood on both of them. Here are the results. The right column shows how long it would take to do 55 miles at that rate.

Unicycle Seconds Rate 55 miles
29" 657 7.34 MPH 7.49 hours
36" 593 8.13 MPH 6.76 hours

Given that that 36" unicycle is only 11% faster, I think the 29" is the way to go.

Given the lock down, the streets have only about 50% of the car traffic, which will be a perfect time to do this. I'm thinking about riding on the streets, which means I'll be up and down a lot with all the traffic lights. All the more reason to choose the 29".
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 639
April 22nd, 2020 at 6:52:56 AM permalink

As some of you may remember, I rode my unicycle 50 miles as a challenge for my 50th birthday.

My 55th birthday is coming up in about a month and I'm thinking of doing a 55 mile ride. Although I ride my unicycle about 5 miles most days, I haven't done a long ride in ages. However, I'm in generally good shape and think my chances are pretty good if I rise to the occation.

That said, as with the 50th birthday challenge, I'm unsure of which unicycle to ride, the one with a 29" wheel or 36". If you list the pros and cons, the 36" is better in every way, except it's hard to mount with nothing to lean on, especially when tired.

As an experiment, I did a 1.34 mile loop around my neighborhood on both of them. Here are the results. The right column shows how long it would take to do 55 miles at that rate.

Unicycle Seconds Rate 55 miles
29" 657 7.34 MPH 7.49 hours
36" 593 8.13 MPH 6.76 hours

Given that that 36" unicycle is only 11% faster, I think the 29" is the way to go.

Given the lock down, the streets have only about 50% of the car traffic, which will be a perfect time to do this. I'm thinking about riding on the streets, which means I'll be up and down a lot with all the traffic lights. All the more reason to choose the 29".

advertise your site while riding?
wear a tshirt of WoO and hand out business cards if people ask about it?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 13
April 22nd, 2020 at 10:09:41 AM permalink

I'm unsure of which unicycle to ride, the one with a 29" wheel or 36".

Are these sizes considered large sizes? Are the larger sizes for experienced riders? A quick on-line scan of local shops reveals selling 20" and 24" unis? Thoughts?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
IndyJeffrey
April 22nd, 2020 at 10:33:26 AM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

Are these sizes considered large sizes? Are the larger sizes for experienced riders? A quick on-line scan of local shops reveals selling 20" and 24" unis? Thoughts?

20" and 24" are the standard sizes. They make good unicycles to learn on or doing tricks. However, if you ride for exercise, as I do, the larger wheels are more enjoyable and you burn more calories per hour.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 23rd, 2020 at 8:36:21 AM permalink

I think the world record is just over100 miles, you should go for that.

Maybe you should just ride to Santa Barbara.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
April 23rd, 2020 at 10:33:00 PM permalink
how big a bet to ride your unicycle past them?

https://twitter.com/SANParksKNP/status/1250453004094001152/photo/4
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 24th, 2020 at 6:01:12 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think the world record is just over100 miles, you should go for that.

Terry "Unigeezer" Peterson has done 150 miles. He attempted 200, but got sick after about 180 miles.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
September 4th, 2020 at 8:48:55 PM permalink
Hey Wizard,

I remember a few years back when you posted your video where you rode your unicycle I think about 25 miles. I found that very entertaining. Time for another one?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2020 at 5:51:08 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Hey Wizard,

I remember a few years back when you posted your video where you rode your unicycle I think about 25 miles. I found that very entertaining. Time for another one?

Thanks! It was 50 miles. I am open to some kind of new challenge.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
September 5th, 2020 at 7:28:17 AM permalink

Thanks! It was 50 miles. I am open to some kind of new challenge.

How open?
Marcusclark66
Marcusclark66
  • Threads: 33
September 5th, 2020 at 11:19:04 AM permalink

Yesterday I went on a long unicycle ride. The strange thing is that after doing an unusually long ride, my arms feel more sore than my legs.

Have you ever rode down the strip itself?

Why do you do unicycle what's the reason?
Marcus Clark. Real Person; AKA MarcusClark66. *Professional Casino Security Expert. *Certified EMT *Certified Company Firearms Instructor. *Certified Gaming Regulations Interpreter for Corporate Applications. *Domestic UrbanTactical Combat Casualty Expert. *Tic-Tac-Toe Expert (Real Competitive Versions) & Mastering Chess. *Honorary & Official #1 Fan of the MDawg Adventures Club. *Mastering Cracking it. Bit-by-Bit, Piece-by-Piece Crediting Forum Members. *Certified Casino Property Entry & Exit Point Analyzer *Baccarat Winning Session Record: 12 out of 12 & 1 out of 1 Mini Session. Baccarat Losing Session Record: 2 Losing Sessions.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2020 at 1:14:54 PM permalink
Quote: Marcusclark66

Have you ever rode down the strip itself?

Yes, I have a video of myself doing so on YouTube.

Quote:

Why do you do unicycle what's the reason?

Fun & exercise.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 23rd, 2020 at 4:00:59 PM permalink
Saw a guy or gal on a motorized unicycle near the Strat today. Didn't get a good look, so assuming it wasn't Wizard. Was the first motorized unicycle I have seen (actually didn't know there was such a thing). The person was moving along pretty good.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 23rd, 2020 at 4:27:06 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Saw a guy or gal on a motorized unicycle near the Strat today. Didn't get a good look, so assuming it wasn't Wizard. Was the first motorized unicycle I have seen (actually didn't know there was such a thing). The person was moving along pretty good.

Wasn't me. I don't have any without a motor. However, I'm tempted to get a OneWheel XR.

• Jump to: