pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:46:01 AM permalink
This image is 2 years old, but it shows that electricity that averages 12 cents per kWh in the USA can be much more expensive around the world

Someone from Sydney Australia said that electricity used between 3PM and 11 PM weekdays is over 50 cents per kWh. I was shocked! That substantially beats the highest NYC prices.
e.
Brazil is the only Latin American country on the imag
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 2nd, 2013 at 10:58:28 AM permalink
Our electricity costs in Ontario have skyrocketed to 7.2 / 10.9 / 12.9 cents per hour based on time of use. The typical blended rate is about 9 cents/kWH. Add to that a delivery charge of about 5 cents/KWH and other charges of about 1.25 cents/kWH and you're up to 15 cents/KwH. Add to that 13% HST but a 10% rebate and the total cost is 15 cents/kWH.

We tend to use much less power but the delivery charge is fairly consistent so our charges are about net 16 cents / kWH. And I live about 10 miles away from the Adam Beck generators.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 2nd, 2013 at 11:41:26 AM permalink
What you get on your electric bill is the apparent cost of your electric usage.

Like so many other things there is a lot of the cost that you don't see.

For instance nuclear power. There is no insurance company that will insure a nuke plant because the costs of clean-up are immeasurable. As in the 3-11 Fukishima nuclear disaster in Japan. This is possibly an ele, or extinction level event, how strange that profits of Tepco are up 11.8% yoy. So that's one cost not on the electric bill and it's a big one. Government covering the cost through tax dollars or printing of what should be a cost to the "owners" who in good times reap the benefits of selling all that "cheap" energy.

I usually don't yak about this stuff, I'm no environmentalist but being in the industry I have some different insights.

All those windmills, wind farms you see blighting the skylines of so many places now. Those are all negative return investments. Green power sounds so cool, and I know most people don't even think about all the migratory birds, eagles etc, that get killed by those blades, the vibration that is being considered in some communities as causing illness, IDK about the illnesses but I'm here, let me share this.

A friend worked on a windmill up around Mich. someplace. It weighs 230 tons. The Iron ore was mined in Australia, shipped to China to be electrically smelted and turned into steel, shipped to Florida and converted in shape electrically and put on a diesel burning trucks then driven up there, sight prepared using diesel, project built burning fuel and the costs just continues to add up. A lot of these wind generator's have a nameplate rating of 1.5 megawatts. Seldom to they ever reach that usually around half, when the wind is blowing. Back of the envelope I estimate it takes twenty years for the power generated to pay back just for the manufacture of the windmill. They take a lot of maintenance. And if your anywhere near a salt water environment the life expectancy of the generator and many of the parts is less than twenty years. So the rest of the cost of blotting out the sky and being around these obnoxious behemoths is being paid for by your tax dollars.

If these windmills weren't being subsidized by our governments, they wouldn't be being installed. Think about it when you see these ugly beasts when you are out there. Those things are turning but somebody is paying for every revolution, you don't see that on your bill but you do in the destruction of your currency.

The entire electric grid is in poor condition. Every new manager has to out do the last one by delaying maintenance. A lot of it is decades older than was it's expected life span.

End of rant
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 2nd, 2013 at 11:57:34 AM permalink
I know a lady who's a millionaire because her grandfather
started buying stock in electric companies in 1920 and stuck
every dime of profit into more stock. These companies never
go under, they just get bought by bigger outfits. He made
a fortune in gas and electric. In the 20's and 30's up till
the 70's, people paid a much higher part of their income
for utilities than they do now.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 2nd, 2013 at 12:01:03 PM permalink
I pay $0.0466 per KWH for the first 600 KWH per 2 months, and then it goes up to $0.1071 per KWH for the rest of the 2 month period. Those are summer rates...they change in the winter (don't remember up or down). Cheap hydro electric power in my area.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 2nd, 2013 at 12:23:43 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I pay $0.0466 per KWH for the first 600 KWH per 2 months, and then it goes up to $0.1071 per KWH for the rest of the 2 month period. Those are summer rates...they change in the winter (don't remember up or down). Cheap hydro electric power in my area.

s/b down - water still flows, but nobody is cooling with a/c in winter.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
November 2nd, 2013 at 12:25:49 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

That substantially beats the highest NYC prices.

Two years ago, my friend in NYC had solar panels installed on his roof. Total cost of the job was $28K. Govt gave him an interest free loan for the amount and then provided rebates and tax incentives to pay it off. Rate is 3% or so now. His out of pocket expense was around 3K. His electricity bill averages less than $20 per month.

On some days, he produces more electricity than he uses and actually sells electricity back to the utility. it's called "Net Metering".

http://sunationsolarsystems.com/default.aspx
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 2nd, 2013 at 12:29:00 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Govt gave him an interest free loan for the amount and then provided rebates and tax incentives to pay it off.

And who paid for it, then. WE DID!
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 2nd, 2013 at 12:34:30 PM permalink
The French are famous for their "minueres" those light switches that illuminate a dark staircase for a minute...so as to save electricity. Such things would not exist but for the artificially high prices and high costs involved. French workers get jobs including transfers and promotions based on seniority, not competence.

In the USA we have "avoided cost" as a measure of what the utility saved by not building a power plant to get that final kilowatt and that is why there is mandatory purchase by the utility of home generated solar electricity despite the Koch brothers funding secret anti solar lobbyists in Arizona.

Much of the bushfire cost in Australia is repair of transmission lines and the wooden poles each year. Costs are often high to protect monopolies that may be technologically nearing obsolescence.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
November 2nd, 2013 at 3:27:14 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

These companies never go under, they just get bought by bigger outfits.

Think Enron.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
November 2nd, 2013 at 5:58:03 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Two years ago, my friend in NYC had solar panels installed on his roof. Total cost of the job was $28K. Govt gave him an interest free loan for the amount and then provided rebates and tax incentives to pay it off. Rate is 3% or so now. His out of pocket expense was around 3K. His electricity bill averages less than $20 per month.

On some days, he produces more electricity than he uses and actually sells electricity back to the utility. it's called "Net Metering".

http://sunationsolarsystems.com/default.aspx

And this is a good thing? $25K the government paid for maybe $3K of electricity. It was good for your friend but totally unaffordable for the country as whole.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 3rd, 2013 at 1:55:12 AM permalink
Quote: kenarman

And this is a good thing? $25K the government paid for maybe $3K of electricity. It was good for your friend but totally unaffordable for the country as whole.

Not necessarily. A monopoly is at all times to be contested. The industry is provided with an incentive for technological innovation and the net metering means that the local utility has avoided the cost of generation of that power.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 4th, 2013 at 11:33:15 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

So that is $168/year for an average of about 400 Watts. So someone who had a small refrigerator, a few CFL's and a television doesn't pay much of his income. I assume there is a customer charge on top of that.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
November 4th, 2013 at 11:39:02 AM permalink
My 1000 watt high pressure sodium light for indoor marijuana grow has added approximately 200.00 bucks a month to my bill......lppking at LED's. Kidding DEA.
Each day is better than the next
  • Jump to: