Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
October 20th, 2013 at 12:14:22 PM permalink
Check out this nifty GIF showing the most popular girls' name since 1960: A Wondrous GIF Shows the Most Popular Baby Names for Girls Since 1960.

Check out who you have to thank for the data at the bottom.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 20th, 2013 at 12:20:15 PM permalink
My red headed daughter Mary Jo let me named her first baby. I named her Belle Starr. She's 14 and thinks her name is KEWL !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Ahigh
Ahigh
October 20th, 2013 at 12:32:34 PM permalink
I'd like to see where all the Damiens have been born since the movie was released like little red dots appearing as time goes by.

aahigh.com
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 20th, 2013 at 12:50:45 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I'd like to see where all the Damiens have been born since the movie was released like little red dots appearing as time goes by.

Probably the same place as Monicas since about 97.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
October 20th, 2013 at 12:52:27 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Check out this nifty GIF showing the most popular girls' name since 1960: A Wondrous GIF Shows the Most Popular Baby Names for Girls Since 1960.

Check out who you have to thank for the data at the bottom.

One of your many gracious gifts to the world.
Interesting to see how minds think alike, watching the names propagate. The trick is finding an accepted name that isn't too common, but isn't so rare you get your kid picked on at school. Stay between 6 and 15 on the list.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
October 20th, 2013 at 12:56:03 PM permalink
Definitely an interesting use of your data!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 20th, 2013 at 2:39:34 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

The trick is finding an accepted name that isn't too common, but isn't so rare you get your kid picked on at school. Stay between 6 and 15 on the list.

That is what I tried to do with my son's name, Aidan, but it exploded in popularity just at he was born, little did we know at the time. SSA releases each new year's data on mother's day of the following year. He was born in Feb 2002, so the latest data we had was for 2000.
Buzzard
Buzzard
October 20th, 2013 at 2:51:33 PM permalink
Belle Starr works great for my 14 year old granddaughter. Told her just use that, no last name, when she auditions for American Idol
or X factor. SHE CAN SING ! ! !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
October 20th, 2013 at 3:58:31 PM permalink
How would you like to be named "Adolf Hitler" or "Eva Braun"?

Girlfriend of N.J. man who named son Adolf Hitler is pregnant, will give baby Nazi-type name
Fighting BS one post at a time!
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
October 20th, 2013 at 4:06:31 PM permalink
Hey old people, what was up with the name "Jennifer" through the 70's? Anyone know what led to that?
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 21st, 2013 at 2:26:25 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Hey old people, what was up with the name "Jennifer" through the 70's? Anyone know what led to that?

"Old-timer" or somesuch is more respectful, whippersnapper!

But I don't know. Never liked the name much.

I swear I have never run into a girl named "Madison"!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
October 21st, 2013 at 5:27:04 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Go to any strip club. Plenty there. lol!
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 21st, 2013 at 6:09:31 AM permalink

There have been lots in my kids' classes. They often go by "Maddie."
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
October 21st, 2013 at 6:31:52 AM permalink
Not to be an ingrate Mike...It's a real cool program; but is their a similar one for Boys names ( i know there must be). Thanks in advance.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 21st, 2013 at 7:31:00 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Not to be an ingrate Mike...It's a real cool program; but is their a similar one for Boys names ( i know there must be). Thanks in advance.

Not that I know of. It would be pretty boring, with Michael #1 I think from 1963 to about 2005.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
October 21st, 2013 at 8:05:28 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Googling shall find one.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 29th, 2013 at 1:12:17 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I had a friend who knocked up his GF in high school (summer before senior year). That summer they went to a church camp and became good friends with a counselor named Damien, and he counseled them and gave them some good guidance about how to handle the upcoming situations. Anyway, they really connected with him and decided to name their kid Damien.......until one of the grandparents (great-grandparents to the unborn kid) flipped their shit because of this stupid movie. Said they could not support naming the kid Damien, that anyone their age would not approve, think the kid was evil or some such nonsense...

Now take the religious part of it with a grain of salt, but the bottom line is that they wanted to name their kid after someone who had made a positive impact on their life, and they gave in to silly superstition coming and changed the name. I thought it was dumb; I would have stuck to my guns. Anyway.

Quote: Wizard

That is what I tried to do with my son's name, Aidan, but it exploded in popularity just at he was born, little did we know at the time. SSA releases each new year's data on mother's day of the following year. He was born in Feb 2002, so the latest data we had was for 2000.

That is too bad. My cousin named her son Aidan (maybe Aiden, not sure) and he was born in 2002 as well. They now call him by his middle name due to the excessive number of Aidans among that age group.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
November 29th, 2013 at 1:23:58 PM permalink
Mike, did you ever get in trouble by the SSA for releasing this information? It's harmless info, but I suppose the SSA could have tried to claim they had a proprietary interest in it.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
February 8th, 2019 at 12:32:51 PM permalink
please delete
Please don't feed the trolls
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
February 8th, 2019 at 4:38:23 PM permalink
I had not seen that before, thanks for unintentionally bumping it rooster :) Kind of amazing how some of the names were like the energizer bunny, (kept going and going and going...).

It would be kind of fun to go into a mid-seventies high school reunion and in a loud voice say "hey Jennifer" and see how many women turn their head.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
February 8th, 2019 at 5:41:02 PM permalink
In case you still care:

Quote: ahiromu

"Old-timer" or somesuch is more respectful, whippersnapper!

But I don't know. Never liked the name much....<SNIP>...

Because in 1970 the nation had a continent sized bucket of this drippy weepy syrupy goo poured all over its collective head:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Story_(1970_film)

Quote:

Love Story is a 1970 American romantic drama film written by Erich Segal, who was also the author of the best-selling novel of the same name...

...A tragedy, the film is considered one of the most romantic by the American Film Institute (#9 on the list) and is one of the highest-grossing films of all time...

...Erich Segal originally wrote the screenplay and sold it to Paramount Pictures. While the film was being produced, Paramount wanted Segal to write a novel based on it, to be published on Valentine's Day to help pre-publicize the release of the film. When the novel came out, it became a bestseller on its own in advance of the film...

Cast
Ali MacGraw as Jennifer "Jenny" Cavilleri
Ryan O'Neal as Oliver Barrett IV

<...>

And taking a date to see this movie was pretty much THE ticket to getting laid through at least 1971-ish.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Feb 8, 2019
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
  • Jump to: