Thread Rating:

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
March 23rd, 2020 at 11:04:40 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand



Here's one for the crowd: what song features the line:

You're gonna need an ocean
of calamine lotion.


Dog Hand



Poison Ivy. Not sure who sang it, though.


From the land of 70's (novelty?) rock, and inspired by me finding the movie while channel surfing a few weeks ago...

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 23rd, 2020 at 11:54:13 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Easy!

"Killing Me Softly"


Winner! Winner! Softly killing a chicken for dinner!

Originally sung by Lori Lieberman (who was inspired by seeing Don McLean sing "Empty Chairs"), "Killing Me Softly" would become a #1 hit for Roberta Flack in '73 and hit #1 again (in the UK) for the Fugees in '96. The way the chips fell sucks for Lori, but I do prefer her version.


--------------------------------
Math problem in play....

Four points are chosen at random on the surface of a sphere. What is the probability that the center of the sphere lies inside the tetrahedron whose vertices are at the four points? (It is understood that each point is independently chosen relative to a uniform distribution on the sphere.)

------------------------
In play....
Quote: Joeman

From the land of 70's (novelty?) rock, and inspired by me finding the movie while channel surfing a few weeks ago...

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men.


---------------------------

And now, in the category "Soft Rock", name that song...


It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Thanked by
Gialmere
March 23rd, 2020 at 1:17:58 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category "Soft Rock", name that song...


It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

Ruh-roh, time to pop in a new mix tape!

I didn't even realize it when I answered Dog Hand's query above, but Gialmere's song engaged my memory. We've seen these two before. Oddly enough, I referenced them both in a single post!

Funny how I had an idea that it was The Coasters back then, but had no clue today!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
Thanked by
Joeman
March 23rd, 2020 at 1:27:15 PM permalink
Ah, well. You know how it is in a band. You take a few months off. A plague sweeps through the land. You come back and everyone is rusty and can't remember any of the chords.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 23rd, 2020 at 1:49:40 PM permalink
I donít know Joemanís lyric, but Iím glad this one is back!

'Cause all you women is low down gamblers
Cheatin' like I don't know how
Baby, got no flavor, fever in the funk house now
This low down bitchin' got my poor feet a itchin'
Don't you know you know the duece is still wild
A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 23rd, 2020 at 5:01:12 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

'Cause all you women is low down gamblers
Cheatin' like I don't know how
Baby, got no flavor, fever in the funk house now
This low down bitchin' got my poor feet a itchin'
Don't you know you know the duece is still wild


Aha! I do know "Tumbling Dice" by The Stones

------------------------------

And now in the category Kids TV, name that song....

We'll have fun
We'll meet new faces
We'll do things and
We'll go places
All around the world
We're marching
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 23rd, 2020 at 6:58:33 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Mosca

'Cause all you women is low down gamblers
Cheatin' like I don't know how
Baby, got no flavor, fever in the funk house now
This low down bitchin' got my poor feet a itchin'
Don't you know you know the duece is still wild


Aha! I do know "Tumbling Dice" by The Stones

------------------------------

And now in the category Kids TV, name that song....

We'll have fun
We'll meet new faces
We'll do things and
We'll go places
All around the world
We're marching



Cha-ching! Good hit!

Great Stones song, but also a big hit for the incomparable Linda Ronstadt!

A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 24th, 2020 at 10:21:00 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now in the category Kids TV, name that song....

We'll have fun
We'll meet new faces
We'll do things and
We'll go places
All around the world
We're marching


Join the jamboree!
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6458
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
March 24th, 2020 at 10:42:18 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Gialmere

And now in the category Kids TV, name that song....

We'll have fun
We'll meet new faces
We'll do things and
We'll go places
All around the world
We're marching


Join the jamboree!


Well, after that hint, I would say...

either an expanded, or a new, version of the Mickey Mouse Club theme

I am only familiar with the first two (1950s and 1970s), and don't remember those lyrics.

jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 113
Joined: Sep 16, 2014
March 24th, 2020 at 10:59:12 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman


From the land of 70's (novelty?) rock, and inspired by me finding the movie while channel surfing a few weeks ago...

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men.



"Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult


Here's another, category "Eighties"

All the school kids so sick of books
They like the punk and the metal band
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
March 24th, 2020 at 11:26:18 AM permalink
Quote: jmills

Quote: Joeman


From the land of 70's (novelty?) rock, and inspired by me finding the movie while channel surfing a few weeks ago...

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men.



"Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult



I was channel surfing and stumbled upon one of the original Godzilla movies a few weeks back and started to sing some of the lyrics. The wife and kid looked at me like I had 3 heads, so I played the song for them!

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 24th, 2020 at 11:47:47 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy


Well, after that hint, I would say...


either an expanded, or a new, version of the Mickey Mouse Club theme

I am only familiar with the first two (1950s and 1970s), and don't remember those lyrics.



Winner! Winner! Donald Duck dinner!

Yes, that is from the full version. This song was written by Jimmie Dodd, the original MMC Master of Ceremonies.


---------------------------
And now, in the category Country Rock, name that song...

Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free
But those people keep a movin'
And that's what tortures me
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 25th, 2020 at 4:49:31 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Country Rock, name that song...

Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free
But those people keep a movin'
And that's what tortures me


I bet there's rich folks eating in a fancy dining car
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars.
Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free
But those people keep a movin'
And that's what tortures me
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1639
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
Thanked by
Gialmere
March 25th, 2020 at 5:12:31 PM permalink
Gialmere,

Easy for a Man in Black fan...

"Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash


In the category 70's Country, name that #1 hit song...

I don't recall who sang the song
But I recall the story that I heard.


Extra bonus if YOU recall who sand the song ;-)

Dog Hand
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
March 26th, 2020 at 8:23:49 AM permalink
Quote: jmills


Here's another, category "Eighties"

All the school kids so sick of books
They like the punk and the metal band

This one threw me for a bit, because I could never really decipher those lyrics when I heard the song, but...

Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 26th, 2020 at 8:40:37 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Gialmere,

Easy for a Man in Black fan...

"Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash


In the category 70's Country, name that #1 hit song...

I don't recall who sang the song
But I recall the story that I heard.


Extra bonus if YOU recall who sand the song ;-)

Dog Hand



Yep. Didnít need the second hint.

Donít know the Ď70s country song, sorry.
Last edited by: Mosca on Mar 26, 2020
A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 26th, 2020 at 5:21:30 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Easy for a Man in Black fan...

"Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash



Winner! Winner! The Chicken in Black for dinner!

The Man in Black's first signature song is so popular it's hard to pick out any line that won't be instantly recognized. The 1968 version recorded live at Folsom is considered definitive.


---------------------

And now, in category Rock Musical, name that song...

It's so dreamy
Oh, fantasy free me
So you can't see me
No, not at all
In another dimension
With voyeuristic intention
Well secluded, I see all
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6458
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Thanked by
Gialmere
March 26th, 2020 at 5:58:28 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in category Rock Musical, name that song...

It's so dreamy
Oh, fantasy free me
So you can't see me
No, not at all
In another dimension
With voyeuristic intention
Well secluded, I see all



"Time Warp," from The Rocky Horror (Picture) Show

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 26th, 2020 at 7:44:23 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

"Time Warp," from The Rocky Horror (Picture) Show



Very good! ThatDonGuy takes just a...



That is indeed Magenta singing the "Time Warp". Of all the Rocky Horror songs, the "Time Warp" would escape its source material to become a staple at events such as festivals, dances, weddings and (of course) Halloween parties.


------------------------------

And now, in the category Art Rock. name that song...

Hey you with the pretty face
Welcome to the human race
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 27th, 2020 at 4:09:57 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Art Rock. name that song...

Hey you with the pretty face
Welcome to the human race


Runnin' down the avenue
See how the sun shines brightly

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 27th, 2020 at 5:24:24 PM permalink
I like to dream, yes, yes
Right between the sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars away from here
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 27th, 2020 at 5:26:56 PM permalink
Looking at the world
Through the sunset in your eyes
Trying to make the train
Through clear Moroccan skies
Ducks and pigs and chickens call
Animal carpet wall to wall
American ladies five foot tall in blue.


Okay, thereís a pair from the same time period.
A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 27th, 2020 at 9:44:42 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I like to dream, yes, yes
Right between the sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars away from here


This one is "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 28th, 2020 at 3:44:50 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Art Rock. name that song...

Hey you with the pretty face
Welcome to the human race

Runnin' down the avenue
See how the sun shines brightly


Everybody smiles at you
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 28th, 2020 at 8:41:13 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Mosca

I like to dream, yes, yes
Right between the sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars away from here


This one is "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf.



Azzackly!
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 29th, 2020 at 6:43:57 AM permalink

I said I'm sorry baby I'm leaving you tonight
I found someone new, he's waitin' in the car outside
Ah honey how could you do it
We swore each other everlasting love
I said well yeah I know but when we did;
There was one thing we weren't
Thinking of
A falling knife has no handle.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 113
Joined: Sep 16, 2014
March 29th, 2020 at 3:31:23 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

This one threw me for a bit, because I could never really decipher those lyrics when I heard the song, but...

Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles



Correct.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 29th, 2020 at 5:28:01 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Art Rock. name that song...

Hey you with the pretty face
Welcome to the human race

Runnin' down the avenue
See how the sun shines brightly


Everybody smiles at you


Buzzzzz.... Ooh, sorry. I'm surprised no one got this one.

"Mr. Blue Sky" by the Electric Light Orchestra is the final section of the "Concerto for a Rainy Day" suite. Because of its continuous popularity it is generally considered ELO's signature song.


-----------------------

And now, in the category TV Tunes, name that song...

But you're one in a million, you've got that shotgun shine
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6458
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Thanked by
Gialmere
March 29th, 2020 at 5:52:32 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere


And now, in the category TV Tunes, name that song...

But you're one in a million, you've got that shotgun shine
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes




The theme to The Sopranos...but it wasn't written for the show.

Back when it existed, Entertainment Weekly Radio had a single-elimination tournament to find the best TV theme song, but it was limited to songs written specifically for the show, and the Sopranos theme was disqualified because of it.

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 29th, 2020 at 10:39:11 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: Gialmere


And now, in the category TV Tunes, name that song...

But you're one in a million, you've got that shotgun shine
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes




The theme to The Sopranos...but it wasn't written for the show.

Back when it existed, Entertainment Weekly Radio had a single-elimination tournament to find the best TV theme song, but it was limited to songs written specifically for the show, and the Sopranos theme was disqualified because of it.


Winner! Winner! ThatDonGuy got himself a gun for dinner!

That's true. Although the song is now synonymous with New Jersey mobsters, "Woke Up This Morning" was originally written about Sara Thornton, an abused wife who murdered her husband in 1989.


-----------------------

And now, in the category Rhythm and Blues, name that song...

You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
Thanked by
Gialmere
March 30th, 2020 at 5:46:21 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: Gialmere


And now, in the category TV Tunes, name that song...

But you're one in a million, you've got that shotgun shine
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes




The theme to The Sopranos...but it wasn't written for the show.

Back when it existed, Entertainment Weekly Radio had a single-elimination tournament to find the best TV theme song, but it was limited to songs written specifically for the show, and the Sopranos theme was disqualified because of it.


Winner! Winner! ThatDonGuy got himself a gun for dinner!

That's true. Although the song is now synonymous with New Jersey mobsters, "Woke Up This Morning" was originally written about Sara Thornton, an abused wife who murdered her husband in 1989.


-----------------------

And now, in the category Rhythm and Blues, name that song...

You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino



Get your kicks
On Route 66.
A falling knife has no handle.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1639
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
March 30th, 2020 at 7:58:00 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

In the category 70's Country, name that #1 hit song...

I don't recall who sang the song
But I recall the story that I heard.


Extra bonus if YOU recall who sand the song ;-)

Dog Hand



Well, I guess I stumped the board.

These lines are from "El Paso City", by the late, great Marty Robbins. What's funny about the line "I don't recall who sang the song" is that the "story" he references is "El Paso", which he himself wrote and sang. Perhaps he was just being modest ;-)





Dog Hand
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1639
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
March 30th, 2020 at 11:07:44 AM permalink
Folks,

In the category of 90's Country, name the singer and song for these lyrics:

Well I ain't afraid of dying it's the thought of being dead
I want to go on being me once my eulogy's been read
Don't spread my ashes out to sea don't lay me down to rest
You can put my mind at ease if you fill my last request


Dog Hand
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 30th, 2020 at 11:52:29 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Folks,

In the category of 90's Country, name the singer and song for these lyrics:

Well I ain't afraid of dying it's the thought of being dead
I want to go on being me once my eulogy's been read
Don't spread my ashes out to sea don't lay me down to rest
You can put my mind at ease if you fill my last request


Dog Hand



RIP.
A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
March 31st, 2020 at 5:29:17 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Rhythm and Blues, name that song...

You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino



Get your kicks
On Route 66.


Winner! Winner! Mosca gets his kicks for dinner!

The classic song that made the highway a legend, "Route 66" has been recorded by a diverse group of artists ranging from the Rolling Stones' debut album to the soundtrack for the Pixar film "Cars". The original recording, however, was the 1946 version by Nat King Cole.


--------------------------------

Continuing with songs naming lots of places, in the category Rock, name that song...

DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Thanked by
Gialmere
March 31st, 2020 at 6:18:16 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Continuing with songs naming lots of places, in the category Rock, name that song...

DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too



Heart of Rock 'n' Roll by Huey Lewis & the News.

Unfortunately, my Mom threw my albums out when they moved from the house I grew up in! :(


---------------------------------------------------
While we're on the subject... how about this one:

I've been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo
Tocopilla, Barranquilla, and Padilla
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
March 31st, 2020 at 8:07:08 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: Gialmere

Continuing with songs naming lots of places, in the category Rock, name that song...

DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too



Heart of Rock 'n' Roll by Huey Lewis & the News.

Unfortunately, my Mom threw my albums out when they moved from the house I grew up in! :(


---------------------------------------------------
While we're on the subject... how about this one:

I've been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo
Tocopilla, Barranquilla, and Padilla



ĒIíve Been EverywhereĒ, Johnny Cash
A falling knife has no handle.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
April 1st, 2020 at 6:27:53 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Quote: Joeman


While we're on the subject... how about this one:

I've been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo
Tocopilla, Barranquilla, and Padilla



ĒIíve Been EverywhereĒ, Johnny Cash



The Man in Black again!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
April 1st, 2020 at 8:20:26 AM permalink
We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy
A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
April 1st, 2020 at 6:29:21 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: Gialmere

Continuing with songs naming lots of places, in the category Rock, name that song...

DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too



Heart of Rock 'n' Roll by Huey Lewis & the News.

Unfortunately, my Mom threw my albums out when they moved from the house I grew up in! :(


Winner! Winner! Chicken heart for dinner!

Written by singer Huey Lewis and guitarist Johnny Colla, "The Heart of Rock & Roll" was the third single from the band's monster hit album "Sports".


------------------------
In play...

Quote: Mosca

We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy


------------------------

Well, Joeman posted the next song in my queue so instead, in the category Surf Rock...

The Chantays were the only rock band to ever appear on The Lawrence Welk Show. They performed their classic surfer instrumental hit. Name that song!
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
April 1st, 2020 at 9:09:56 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Joeman

Quote: Gialmere

Continuing with songs naming lots of places, in the category Rock, name that song...

DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too



Heart of Rock 'n' Roll by Huey Lewis & the News.

Unfortunately, my Mom threw my albums out when they moved from the house I grew up in! :(


Winner! Winner! Chicken heart for dinner!

Written by singer Huey Lewis and guitarist Johnny Colla, "The Heart of Rock & Roll" was the third single from the band's monster hit album "Sports".


------------------------
In play...

Quote: Mosca

We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy


------------------------

Well, Joeman posted the next song in my queue so instead, in the category Surf Rock...

The Chantays were the only rock band to ever appear on The Lawrence Welk Show. They performed their classic surfer instrumental hit. Name that song!



Pipeline! There was that, Wipe Out, and Miserlou, that I remember. (The Surfaris, Dick Dale.)
A falling knife has no handle.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
April 2nd, 2020 at 7:16:22 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Quote: Gialmere

The Chantays were the only rock band to ever appear on The Lawrence Welk Show. They performed their classic surfer instrumental hit. Name that song!



Pipeline! There was that, Wipe Out, and Miserlou, that I remember. (The Surfaris, Dick Dale.)


Winner! Winner! Surf and turf for dinner!

Very good! Being essentially a one-hit wonder band, the question is really if you've ever heard of The Chantays. If you have, then "Pipeline" will be the only song that comes to mind. Here is the band's wunnerful wunnerful 1963 performance...



...or you might prefer a more traditional setting...


----------------------------

And now, in the category Vegas Connection, name that song...

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in the fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Thanked by
Gialmere
April 3rd, 2020 at 4:59:49 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Vegas Connection, name that song...

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in the fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2. IIRC, the video was shot on Fremont St., thus the Vegas connection.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
April 3rd, 2020 at 8:11:23 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: Gialmere

And now, in the category Vegas Connection, name that song...

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in the fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2. IIRC, the video was shot on Fremont St., thus the Vegas connection.


Winner! Winner! Joeman found a chicken for dinner!!

That is indeed "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" from U2's monster hit album The Joshua Tree. And yes, the connection was the music video filmed in Glitter Gulch before Fremont St became an "experience"...


-------------------------

And now, in the category TV Themes, name that song...

I'm the instrumental theme from a 70's TV show that charted for two weeks as a top10 song. I feature the Minimoog synthesizer and am one of the first hit songs to use the (then new) instrument. Who am I?
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
April 4th, 2020 at 4:40:00 AM permalink
WAG.

Welcome Back? I have no idea if itís right, just that I remember hearing it on the radio, and itís a 70s TV show.


Edit: Wrong, not an instrumental.
A falling knife has no handle.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
April 4th, 2020 at 5:59:50 AM permalink
How about the theme from SWAT?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2995
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
April 4th, 2020 at 3:04:05 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

How about the theme from SWAT?


Ooh sorry. A good guess though since the "Theme from SWAT" actually reached #1 on the Billboard charts. It did not, however, feature a synthesizer.

$200 a day plus expenses
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
utahslim1
utahslim1
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 14
Joined: Apr 4, 2020
April 4th, 2020 at 4:34:15 PM permalink
I think this is the only song lyric with a word that rhymes with purple ?

They say roses are red and violets are purple
And sugar's sweet and so is maple syrple
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
  • Posts: 7287
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
Thanked by
Mosca
April 4th, 2020 at 6:54:16 PM permalink
Quote: utahslim1

I think this is the only song lyric with a word that rhymes with purple ?



Dang me!


'Tis good to hear from you.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
April 4th, 2020 at 8:33:03 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Joeman

How about the theme from SWAT?


Ooh sorry. A good guess though since the "Theme from SWAT" actually reached #1 on the Billboard charts. It did not, however, feature a synthesizer.

$200 a day plus expenses



Too good of a hint. I would have never guessed it.
A falling knife has no handle.
  • Jump to: