Thread Rating:

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 19th, 2022 at 10:43:15 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

At least one of the dice is a 2. That's the information we are given. You aren't told which die, the black die or the white die. You aren't told which die, the left die or the right die. You aren't told which die, the large die or the small die. All you are told was at least one of dice was a 2.

What is the probability that both dice are a 2? As has been demonstrated, the answer is clearly 1/11.
link to original post

Ed, you do make one mistake. Calling rules again.

Let's say they were a black die and a white die.
Let's also say that whenever he announces "at least one of the dice were a two, he reaches under and pulls that die out and presents it. You get to know its colour.
He might say "at least one of the dice is a two" and show it to you and say "and here it is look. On this occasion it was the white die". You would know which one it was.
It's back to calling rules. Would he have potentially called "At least one of the dice was a two" and pulled out and showed the black die?" Or would he have kept schtum?
We could further change what is called and on the one occasion that we observe, he might have announced
"There is a black die and a white die and the white die is a two". It's still 1/11 if he always calls "at least one of the dice is a two" but then appends "and here it is look. On this occasion it was the xxxxx die"
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
May 19th, 2022 at 11:10:52 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Why is my approach which is so simple so wrong?

Ah. Simply put, because your approach fails to take into account all of the possible scenarios of what could have happened... of exactly how those two dice could have been rolled.

Only after you do that, and then see how many of those scenarios answer the question, "What is the probability that BOTH dice are showing a 2?" can you arrive at the answer.

See unJon's dice diagrams again, for a visual of the 36 different ways two dice can be rolled. (2-1 is not the same roll as 1-2)

Is it safe to assume you haven't yet bothered to take the time to simulate the problem yourself, on your desk or kitchen table, with a couple of dice, and pencil and paper to keep track of the results?

Once you do, you will discover only 1/11 of the time will both dice show a 2, after first learning that at least one of the dies is a 2.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 19th, 2022 at 11:16:28 AM permalink

Gosh guys... every time I look at a die... and it doesnt matter which face I'm looking at... my brain tells me that any other die has six faces and one of those faces will match it.

Then I think back to the original question. And the original question seems to ask me the same thing: when you have a face on a die what are the odds another die will match it?

Of course I didnt go to a math class that was trying to teach you some lesson in probability. All I did was use my memory to remember that a die has six faces with a different number, one thru six, on each face.

I'm also not comparing this question to how other questions are asked or answered. I'm not comparing this to census takers or TV hosts checking on kids or goats.

I'm simply remembering that if one die with six faces is showing one number, any other die with six faces will have one face matching that number.

Why is my approach which is so simple so wrong?

link to original post

You know one of the die is a two.
You remove one die, leaving one on the table.
What do you know about the remaining die?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
May 19th, 2022 at 11:33:07 AM permalink
Guys... again.... when I look at any one die there are six faces, and one of them will match.

I'm afraid I just don't understand... or you are giving unnecessary information and complicating a simple question?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
May 19th, 2022 at 11:35:15 AM permalink

Guys... again.... when I look at any one die there are six faces, and one of them will match.

I'm afraid I just don't understand... or you are giving unnecessary information and complicating a simple question?
link to original post

Alan can I ask you why you are resistant to trying the experiment of rolling two dice and seeing how often you get one 2 and how often you get two 2s?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 11:46:06 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

Alan can I ask you why you are resistant to trying the experiment of rolling two dice and seeing how often you get one 2 and how often you get two 2s?
link to original post

I've answered this. Rolling two dice and getting 2-2 is a 1/36 event. It has nothing to do with the original question.

The Wizard's bet has nothing to do with the original question. And the Wizard will win 10 times for every one he loses.

So I will now repeat my original position. This was a trick question. It was worded in such a way as to make the mathematicians jump through unnecessary hoops. It was a set up.
unJon
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 11:49:41 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I've answered this. Rolling two dice and getting 2-2 is a 1/36 event. It has nothing to do with the original question.

The Wizard's bet has nothing to do with the original question. And the Wizard will win 10 times for every one he loses.

So I will now repeat my original position. This was a trick question. It was worded in such a way as to make the mathematicians jump through unnecessary hoops. It was a set up.
link to original post

I don’t understand. Will you do me in favor? Go back up this thread to my posts with the three pictures. And let me know if you agree it’s 1/11 in the third roll.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 12:10:19 PM permalink
Unjon your #3 chart involves one die having the ability to change six times.

That doesnt happen in the real world.

In the real world you roll two dice and then they stop rolling.

Look at one of the two dice. What number did it land on? Is it showing a 6?

If it is showing a six any other six sided has a 1/6 chance of showing a 6.
billryan
billryan
May 19th, 2022 at 12:15:25 PM permalink

link to original post

One of them will match What?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
ChesterDog
May 19th, 2022 at 12:23:45 PM permalink
How about this.
There are 36 models with cases. Each case has a possible roll of the die. One has 1-1, another 1,2 so all 36 combinations are covered.
The jackpot is the case with two sixes.
Howie Mandel peeks and sees the winning number. He gives you one and only one clue.
All the models whose case doesn't have a six in it leaves.
25 of the 36 models leave the stage. 11 remain.
What are the chances you choose the right one?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 12:33:02 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

How about this.
There are 36 models with cases. Each case has a possible roll of the die. One has 1-1, another 1,2 so all 36 combinations are covered.
Howie Mandel peeks and sees the winning number. He gives you one and only one clue.
link to original post

This is becoming the theater of the absurd.

We went from having one die showing a two to counting children and their sex to models with cases.

How about going back to one die showing a two.
If another six sided die has its faces numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 what are the odds of having a 2 showing?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 19th, 2022 at 12:42:22 PM permalink
Stop looking at one die and look at two dice. This is a problem with two dice, and after you have been given information by your friend (who has seen both dice), you still do not know which face either die is showing.

When you say "if the dice on the left is a 2 the probability that the other dice is a 2 must be 1 in 6" you must remember that the dice on the left has about a 54% chance of being a 2.

When you say "if the dice on the right is a 2 the probability that the other dice is a 2 must be 1 in 6" you must remember that the dice on the right also has about a 54% chance of being a 2.

And, so, because the probability of those two scenarios
- "the dice on the right is a 2"
- "the dice on the left is a 2"
add up to > 108%, you can't just claim that 1 in 6 for the other dice is the correct answer. It is actually approximately (1/6)/1.08
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
EdCollins
May 19th, 2022 at 12:45:41 PM permalink

Quote: billryan

How about this.
link to original post

This is becoming the theater of the absurd.

We went from having one die showing a two to counting children and their sex to models with cases.

How about going back to one die showing a two.
If another six sided die has its faces numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 what are the odds of having a 2 showing?
link to original post

1/6. If you saw one die roll a two, then the chance the next one rolls a 2 is 1/6.

But if you don’t see one die roll a 2, but only know that at least one of two die (no idea which one or both) has a 2, then the chance the other die has a 2 is 1/11.

Or try this:

Chance of rolling two 2s. 1/36
Chance of rolling at least one 2. 11/36
Chance of “your partner” being able to remove a die with a 2 from the cup of at least one 2 is rolled. 100%

Chance of the die in the cup being a 2: 1/36 divided by 11/36 * 100% = 1/11
Last edited by: unJon on May 19, 2022
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 1:14:35 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Stop looking at one die and look at two dice. This is a problem with two dice,
link to original post

One more time... why is this a problem with two dice?

You also know the answer is 1/6 knowing one die. Why must you complicate the question? Because you're trying to justify your 1/11 answer perhaps?
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
rawtuffgordonm888Johnzimbo
May 19th, 2022 at 1:24:44 PM permalink
I’ve decided Alan understands now but is messing with people. I’ll be moving on.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
mipletEdCollins
May 19th, 2022 at 1:32:00 PM permalink
For the non Alan people that aren’t messing with people, here’s one more shot at same problem done in a different way.

Setup. Two players and a dealer. The dealer will roll two dice in a cup. The first player looks at the dice and if the can pull out a die that has a 2 on top he wins $1. Then the first player looks at the remaining die and if it is a 2, the second player will win $1.

What happens over time.

25/36 of the time no one wins a dollar.
11/36 of the time player 1 wins a dollar.
1/36 of the time player 2 wins a dollar. (Player 2 only gets a dollar if it was a hard four, as otherwise, player 1 takes the winning 2, if any.)

Over time player 1 wins $11 for every $1 player 2 wins.

Why?

Because only 1/11 of the time when there is one 2 will there be a second 2.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
EdCollins
May 19th, 2022 at 1:37:28 PM permalink
I'd like to Thank Alan for requesting that Dieter and I be released from self suspension. I accept the offer.

I'd also like to thank Gordon, Unjon, BillRyan and Ed and others for their entertaining attempts to help Alan.

The theatre in this supposedly serious thread is comedy gold. Comedy, Tragedy, Drama. It's the War and Peace length version of the Monty Python Argument sketch.

Were you gentlemen around these parts in 2013 through 2015?
Did you read the previous two threads here. Did you read the 18 page thread over on what was Alan's very own forum? You should..... It might waste a few hours of your time, but save you 9 years of therapy. $:o)

I challenge you to come up with a proof that has not already been rejected by Alan. Bonus point if it works to have him see the light.
We've had big dice, red dice, nearest dice, first dice, other dice. We've had spreadsheets, we've had charts, we've even had videos and venn diagrams. Wizard did a video, Alan did one, two. We've had two children analogies, We've had two coin flip analogies. And now we have ladies with boxes.
Somebody tried maths. Somebody tried semantic analysis. Somebody tried..... Well everything.

I understand that Alan even quoted his PHd buddies over on Facebook.

One man stood tall and firm through it all. One man refused to concede. One man proved his mettle. It must prove something after all these 9 years.

Stay Safe,
Stay Sane.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
EdCollinsgordonm888
May 19th, 2022 at 1:43:35 PM permalink

link to original post

But you DON'T deal with one die in the original problem, you are dealing with two dice.
When you throw two dice EITHER of them can show a 2. Sometimes the white die, sometimes the black die. In total 11 possible outcomes will have your partner answering "yes" to the question "does at least one die show a 2?" and one time out of those 11 times "the other" die will also show a 2. There is no predetermined "the other" die, they take turns so to speak.

So when you try to only deal with "the other" die to try and match "the first" die after the roll in your head you are making a mistake.
BOTH dice work together to produce eleven outcomes with at least one 2 showing. And EITHER die can show a non-two in those eleven outcomes thus evading the 2-2 combo for longer than 1/6 of the time, namely only one in eleven times will they both show a 2.
unJon's diagrams visualize the above very neatly.

There is no trickery or miswording, the puzzle is not a tricky question. You just need to realize there is a combined probability between BOTH dice for producing the "at least one 2" combos AND the exactly 2-2 combo.
Tits are good, but the most important thing is the soul.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
rawtuff
May 19th, 2022 at 1:55:15 PM permalink
Hi Rawtuff,
I remember you from the 2013 threads. Welcome back.

Thank you for your contribution to this saga. Accept the challenge of my previous post.

$;o)
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 1:58:45 PM permalink

I’ve decided Alan understands now but is messing with people. I’ll be moving on.
link to original post

Funny that. I've decided that you are wrong exactly three times in that post. Three assertions, all wrong.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
OnceDear
May 19th, 2022 at 2:18:45 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

Funny that. I've decided that you are wrong exactly three times in that post. Three assertions, all wrong.
link to original post

AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 2:49:21 PM permalink
I think all of this proves my initial point: the question was worded so poorly that there is division as to what it asks.

I've asked repeatedly for someone to show me in the question why two dice must be considered. No one has said why -- but only that two dice must be considered.

I know that two dice give different answers. Those answers include 1/11 and 1/36 and as Billy pointed out even 1/10.

But what I find intriguing is that you're all married to a two dice answer and I suspect this is because along the way you were told dice questions must be answered with two dice.

Answering a question with one die is so simple it must be wrong!

This goes back to the original question. Look at it. Read the "set up" which talks about a previous problem. The question guides you to avoid the simple resolution.

And again I question why the original poster never returned? Don't you see it was a set up?

Yes. It was intended to be confusing and it was.

I can tell you when 1/11 is correct and when 1/6 is correct and so can you. It was not 1/11 this time. It was an English problem not a math problem.

The original poster had a laugh.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
rawtuff
May 19th, 2022 at 2:51:31 PM permalink
Here’s another way to visualize it (specifically not directed at Alan):

You ask if there is at least one 2. Your “partner” answers by pulling out a 2 and showing it to you. What is chance other die is a 2?

Well if the other die was a 2 your partner would have pulled it out 50% of the time (choosing randomly between the two 2s). If the other die was a 1, 3, 4, 5 or 6, your partner would have left it in the cup 100% of the time, because he was only pulling out a 2 if he could.

So 5 non twos plus 50% of a 2 are what could be left in the cup. That’s 5.5. That’s the denominator.

The numerator is 50% of a 2. That’s 1 * 50%. That’s 0.5.

0.5 / 5.5 = 1 / 11
unJon
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 2:54:56 PM permalink

I think all of this proves my initial point: the question was worded so poorly that there is division as to what it asks.

I've asked repeatedly for someone to show me in the question why two dice must be considered. No one has said why -- but only that two dice must be considered.

I know that two dice give different answers. Those answers include 1/11 and 1/36 and as Billy pointed out even 1/10.

But what I find intriguing is that you're all married to a two dice answer and I suspect this is because along the way you were told dice questions must be answered with two dice.

Answering a question with one die is so simple it must be wrong!

This goes back to the original question. Look at it. Read the "set up" which talks about a previous problem. The question guides you to avoid the simple resolution.

And again I question why the original poster never returned? Don't you see it was a set up?

Yes. It was intended to be confusing and it was.

I can tell you when 1/11 is correct and when 1/6 is correct and so can you. It was not 1/11 this time. It was an English problem not a math problem.

The original poster had a laugh.
link to original post

I’ve never been talking about the original wording. The original wording is ambiguous. Could be any answer including 1/6 or 1/11 or even 1/10 or 1 or 0.

I’m talking about the revised wording that I and the Wizard gave in this thread. You’ve continued to disagree that the revised wording in 1/11.

I believe you are also having a laugh.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
May 19th, 2022 at 2:57:39 PM permalink

... This goes back to the original question. Look at it. Read the "set up" which talks about a previous problem. The question guides you to avoid the simple resolution. And again I question why the original poster never returned? Don't you see it was a set up?

Just to be clear, is this the original question, and how it was worded?

You have two 6-sided dice in a cup. You shake the dice, and slam the cup down onto the table, hiding the result. Your partner peeks under the cup, and tells you, truthfully, "At least one of the dice is a 2."

What is the probability that both dice are showing a 2?
unJon
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 3:07:47 PM permalink

... This goes back to the original question. Look at it. Read the "set up" which talks about a previous problem. The question guides you to avoid the simple resolution. And again I question why the original poster never returned? Don't you see it was a set up?

You have two 6-sided dice in a cup. You shake the dice, and slam the cup down onto the table, hiding the result. Your partner peeks under the cup, and tells you, truthfully, "At least one of the dice is a 2."

link to original post

Ed,

FWIW I think that phrasing is ambiguous. I can be the “partner” in that game and guarantee you will never find a 2 still under the cup after I make that truthful statement. I will just not make the statement any time a hard four is rolled.
billryan
billryan
May 19th, 2022 at 3:12:00 PM permalink
The numbers are arabic, the words are in English. Obviously something is being lost in translation.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 3:26:17 PM permalink

link to original post

Actually it's not. Missing is the set up which preceded this.

The set up, though subtle, steers the reader from the simple answer sought in the question.
billryan
billryan
May 19th, 2022 at 4:13:22 PM permalink

link to original post

Actually it's not. Missing is the set up which preceded this.

The set up, though subtle, steers the reader from the simple answer sought in the question.
link to original post

In any event, your responses in this thread are not in answer to that, are they? You can't be that inflexible, can you?
Torghatten
Torghatten
  • Threads: 5
May 19th, 2022 at 4:26:03 PM permalink
Alan:
Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats
You are allowed to pick two doors. The host, who knows what's behind the doors tells you that atleast one of your dors have a goat behind it.

What are the odds you picked two goats?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 4:35:30 PM permalink
Bill I've said it so many times...

The answer of 1/11 is a correct answer to its proper question.

I've even offered am example when 1/11 would be correct.

But the way this particular question is worded it's 1/6.

But you want it to be 1/11 and I get it. Just tell me WHY you need to answer this particular question using two dice.

It reminds me of a phrase: when you go to a surgeon for an opinion he tells you to have surgery.

So... when you go to a mathematician for an answer he gives you a long mathematical answer.

I've got more...

When you go to a lawyer he'll give you an answer by the hour.

And when you go to a TV reporter his answer will run 90 seconds. (The length of a TV news story.)
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 4:37:47 PM permalink
Quote: Torghatten

Alan:
Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats
You are allowed to pick two doors. The host, who knows what's behind the doors tells you that atleast one of your dors have a goat behind it.

link to original post

We had this earlier in the discussion.

Got some new material?
Torghatten
Torghatten
  • Threads: 5
May 19th, 2022 at 4:41:04 PM permalink

Quote: Torghatten

Alan:

link to original post

We had this earlier in the discussion.

Got some new material?
link to original post

Where? And what did you answer?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 19th, 2022 at 4:56:34 PM permalink
Just to sum up my position... (as if I havent tried already)... as soon as you're told at least one die is a 2 TRUTHFULLY its the same as knowing one die has stopped on a 2 and the second die is spinning.

If you find something different in the wording of the question please tell me what it is.

And I'll tell you what you wont find. You won't find a query about how many 2 dice combinations include at least one 2.
unJon
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 5:06:34 PM permalink

Just to sum up my position... (as if I havent tried already)... as soon as you're told at least one die is a 2 TRUTHFULLY its the same as knowing one die has stopped on a 2 and the second die is spinning.

If you find something different in the wording of the question please tell me what it is.

And I'll tell you what you wont find. You won't find a query about how many 2 dice combinations include at least one 2.
link to original post

And yet you won’t grab two dice and roll them, and let your ex spouse tell you whether there is at least one die with a 2 TRUTHFULLY to see whether you are correct.
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
May 19th, 2022 at 5:21:21 PM permalink

How was the move? Too difficult for you?

And yet

unJon
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 5:24:52 PM permalink
Quote: coachbelly

How was the move? Too difficult for you?

And yet

link to original post

Ha. The fool returning to the fire.
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 19th, 2022 at 5:30:55 PM permalink

The fool returning to the fire.

Why did you bother to announce that you'd be moving on?

Trying to talk yourself into laying the wood, when you've got no wood?
unJon
unJon
May 19th, 2022 at 5:32:10 PM permalink
Quote: coachbelly

[The fool returning to the fire.

Why did you bother to announce that you'd be moving on?

Trying to talk yourself into laying the wood, when you've got no wood?
link to original post

Questions by you is one game I do not do any longer.
coachbelly
coachbelly
May 19th, 2022 at 5:35:02 PM permalink

Questions by you is one game I do not do any longer.

LOL...OK playa...take the 5th.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
rawtuff
May 19th, 2022 at 5:58:28 PM permalink
I will try one more time. Given you roll the dice and are told that at least one of the dice is a 2:

The dice on the left now has a 6/11 (54.6%) chance that it is a 2. When the dice on the left is indeed a 2, then the other die will be a 2 exactly 1/6 of the time, as you keep insisting.

The dice on the right also has a 6/11 (54.6%) chance that it is a 2. When the dice on the right is indeed a 2, then the other die will be a 2 exactly 1/6 of the time, as you keep insisting.

You are correct that the so-called 'other die' has a 1/6 chance of being a 2.

But having been told that at least one of the dice is a 2, there is no "first die" that has a 100% chance of being a 2. You keep taking that as your starting point but it is wrong. No matter which of the two dice you define as your first die, that first die will have a 6/11 chance of being a 2 - and the other dice will have a 1/6 chance of being a 2.

And 6/11 for the first die times 1/6 for the second die = 1/6 * 6/11 = 1/11.

So, we are not contradicting that that the other die has a 1/6 chance. We are telling you that you cannot identify a first die that has a 100% chance of being a 2.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
rawtuff
May 19th, 2022 at 6:37:12 PM permalink

That's a different scenario. If you're told "at least one die is a 2" while die B is still spinning, then that's the same as saying "die A is a 2".

But you are told "at least one die is a 2" after both have stopped spinning, so that's the same as saying: "either die A is a 2, die B is a 2, or both dice are 2's."
It’s all about making that GTA
rawtuff
rawtuff
May 19th, 2022 at 9:33:34 PM permalink

link to original post

That's a mistake. It is absolutely not the same as knowing one die has stopped on a 2 and the second die is spinning. Scratch that scenario from your thought process because it is wrong assumption leading you to wrong views. Because if the die which has landed already shows a non-two your partner wouldn't have said yes, yet when the spinning die lands and eventually show a 2 what then? Your partner would have said "yes" after the full roll is over, but you are denying that option beforehand. Your partner looks AT BOTH landed dice to truthfully answer "yes" or "no".
So when you equate the information that at least one 2 is showing to "one die has stopped on a 2 and the second die is spinning" you're making a basic mistake.
rawtuff
rawtuff
May 19th, 2022 at 9:37:08 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I will try one more time. Given you roll the dice and are told that at least one of the dice is a 2:

The dice on the left now has a 6/11 (54.6%) chance that it is a 2. When the dice on the left is indeed a 2, then the other die will be a 2 exactly 1/6 of the time, as you keep insisting.

The dice on the right also has a 6/11 (54.6%) chance that it is a 2. When the dice on the right is indeed a 2, then the other die will be a 2 exactly 1/6 of the time, as you keep insisting.

You are correct that the so-called 'other die' has a 1/6 chance of being a 2.

But having been told that at least one of the dice is a 2, there is no "first die" that has a 100% chance of being a 2. You keep taking that as your starting point but it is wrong. No matter which of the two dice you define as your first die, that first die will have a 6/11 chance of being a 2 - and the other dice will have a 1/6 chance of being a 2.

And 6/11 for the first die times 1/6 for the second die = 1/6 * 6/11 = 1/11.

So, we are not contradicting that that the other die has a 1/6 chance. We are telling you that you cannot identify a first die that has a 100% chance of being a 2.
link to original post

This.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 20th, 2022 at 12:59:28 AM permalink
Again... everyone tells me I must consider two dice but no one tells me why?

Everyone says the dice cup problem/question is not the same as a die spinning on a craps table but no one tells me why?

Again I'm going to say the question was poorly worded and was a setup to create controversy.

Unless someone tells me WHY two dice must be considered and the problem is not like a spinning die, I'm sticking with my answer.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 20th, 2022 at 1:02:10 AM permalink

link to original post

And yet you won’t grab two dice and roll them, and let your ex spouse tell you whether there is at least one die with a 2 TRUTHFULLY to see whether you are correct.
link to original post

Unjon I'd love to do that but there are days I have to spoon feed her applesauce and carry her to the toilet.

Stop.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 20th, 2022 at 1:28:52 AM permalink

Unjon I'd love to do that but there are days I have to spoon feed her applesauce and carry her to the toilet.

Stop.
link to original post

I think it's unfortunate that Alan raised the topic of his Ex-wife's health problems.
In deference to her, I suggest that we ALL leave her out of this conversation.
Let's show a bit of decorum.

Just a suggestion.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 20th, 2022 at 2:45:55 AM permalink

link to original post

Please explain the functional difference between:
- a roll of two dice, ignored if no 2 is showing
- a roll of two dice, under a cup, and someone tells you at least one 2 is showing
May the cards fall in your favor.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
May 20th, 2022 at 3:15:22 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

Please explain the functional difference between:
- a roll of two dice, ignored if no 2 is showing
- a roll of two dice, under a cup, and someone tells you at least one 2 is showing
link to original post

You got me on this one. But I'll play along.

You roll two dice and and no 2 shows? Well, you cant have a hard four... that's for certain.

And when two dice are rolled under a cup and someone tells you at least one 2 is showing? You have a 1/6 chance of getting a hard four.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
May 20th, 2022 at 3:18:26 AM permalink
Let me see if I can cut through the crap…

Alan -
What’s the odds that the person peeking will say that neither die is a 2?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
  • Jump to: