Thread Rating:

Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
July 27th, 2016 at 6:06:12 PM permalink
When the Orange Orangutan started his bloviations a year or so ago, I thought he was just having himself a lark and that no one, he least of all, considered him to be a viable Presidential candidate. Now, as we are somehow poised on the brink as Germany was in 1933, I have to ask: what on earth makes this guy so appealing to so many people? I mean, his indisputable tens of millions of supporters are willing to overlook his a) racism b) bigotry c) utter lack of qualifications d) lies, half-truths, and distortions e) penchant for insulting anyone and everyone f) obvious ignorance of things like trade and foreign policy, and g) the fact that the man is a complete douchebag.

I understand the underlying psychological motivations behind being a Trumper. If you are dominated by fear, for example, you will gravitate toward anyone or anything that promises to assuage that fear, even if such promises are unrealistic. If you are consumed with hatred and/or loathing of the "other," then Trump's message is an anodyne for you. And of course, if you would vote for ANY Republican candidate, whether that candidate was Trump, Pol Pot, Homer Simpson, or a stale hot dog, that would be an explanation--though you would have to be overlooking/excusing everything noted in the above paragraph. I also realize that many voters in the 2008 and 2012 elections voted Republican because they "would never see a nigger in the Oval Office," and many will vote that way in this year's election because "a bitch shouldn't be running the country." By no means have we evolved beyond that type of thinking--not yet, anyway.

I am asking this because the ongoing poll here shows Trump as a 2-1 favorite!!! You folks seem like an intelligent bunch, and I can't reconcile that with ANYONE saying they would vote for that...THING. So I'd truly like an explanation. Why is this demagogue so popular? Why are so many people fooled by him?

If you answer, please don't drone on about how Hillary is an evil, conniving witch who was responsible for the deaths of billions while she was Secretary of State and was taking secret orders from the planet Grabnoxu to establish world dominion by causing dozens of destructive earthquakes, which were obviously her fault, since they occurred while she held that office. I don't care how you feel about Clinton. What I want to know is, why (on earth) do you luvvvvvv Trump?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
July 27th, 2016 at 6:29:58 PM permalink
The reasons you listed as to why he is ridiculous are exactly why his supporters like him.

For whatever reason, Trump supports have this idea that political correctness is destroying our country. All of the ridiculous things he says just fuels that fire.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
July 27th, 2016 at 9:18:54 PM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

When the Orange Orangutan started his bloviations a year or so ago, I thought he was just having himself a lark and that no one, he least of all, considered him to be a viable Presidential candidate. Now, as we are somehow poised on the brink as Germany was in 1933, I have to ask: what on earth makes this guy so appealing to so many people? I mean, his indisputable tens of millions of supporters are willing to overlook his a) racism b) bigotry c) utter lack of qualifications d) lies, half-truths, and distortions e) penchant for insulting anyone and everyone f) obvious ignorance of things like trade and foreign policy, and g) the fact that the man is a complete douchebag.

I understand the underlying psychological motivations behind being a Trumper. If you are dominated by fear, for example, you will gravitate toward anyone or anything that promises to assuage that fear, even if such promises are unrealistic. If you are consumed with hatred and/or loathing of the "other," then Trump's message is an anodyne for you. And of course, if you would vote for ANY Republican candidate, whether that candidate was Trump, Pol Pot, Homer Simpson, or a stale hot dog, that would be an explanation--though you would have to be overlooking/excusing everything noted in the above paragraph. I also realize that many voters in the 2008 and 2012 elections voted Republican because they "would never see a nigger in the Oval Office," and many will vote that way in this year's election because "a bitch shouldn't be running the country." By no means have we evolved beyond that type of thinking--not yet, anyway.

I am asking this because the ongoing poll here shows Trump as a 2-1 favorite!!! You folks seem like an intelligent bunch, and I can't reconcile that with ANYONE saying they would vote for that...THING. So I'd truly like an explanation. Why is this demagogue so popular? Why are so many people fooled by him?

If you answer, please don't drone on about how Hillary is an evil, conniving witch who was responsible for the deaths of billions while she was Secretary of State and was taking secret orders from the planet Grabnoxu to establish world dominion by causing dozens of destructive earthquakes, which were obviously her fault, since they occurred while she held that office. I don't care how you feel about Clinton. What I want to know is, why (on earth) do you luvvvvvv Trump?

You mad?
100% risk of ruin
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
July 27th, 2016 at 9:25:32 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

You mad?

Not at all. Do I have to be to criticize The Donald? Disgusted and appalled, definitely.

I would have loved to hear why you are a Trumper, if that is the case, as your reply might suggest.
RogerKint
RogerKint
July 27th, 2016 at 9:34:46 PM permalink

Not at all. Do I have to be to criticize The Donald? Disgusted and appalled, definitely.

I would have loved to hear why you are a Trumper, if that is the case, as your reply might suggest.

Judgemental much?
100% risk of ruin
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
July 27th, 2016 at 10:04:56 PM permalink

I understand the underlying psychological motivations behind being a Trumper. If you are dominated by fear, for example, you will gravitate toward anyone or anything that promises to assuage that fear, even if such promises are unrealistic. If you are consumed with hatred and/or loathing of the "other," then Trump's message is an anodyne for you.

You answered your own question.

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
RogerKint
RogerKint
July 27th, 2016 at 10:26:22 PM permalink

I sometimes get frustrated when people don't share the same beliefs as I do. In those situations I sit on my lofty perch, put on my favorite elbow-patched blazer and listen to NPR with the volume barely audible.
100% risk of ruin
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
July 27th, 2016 at 11:19:00 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

I sometimes get frustrated when people don't share the same beliefs as I do. In those situations I sit on my lofty perch, put on my favorite elbow-patched blazer and listen to NPR with the volume barely audible.

That clip was pretty fkg funny. I don't know what movie it's from, I guess I missed that one.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 28th, 2016 at 12:07:30 AM permalink
Blame evolution.

It works not by always sending us Abe Lincolns, but a little bit of everything, from the Kardashians, to Gandhi, to Genghis Khan, to Trump and Flo, (or the actor) who sells Progressive Insurance.

It's not intelligent selection, it's maybe one of these variations will work out for you.

So, you never can really throw away your "I'm with stupid" t-shirt, because stupid will always be with us. It's part of the process.

Until further notice.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 28th, 2016 at 12:10:16 AM permalink
Quote:

When the Orange Orangutan started his bloviations a year or so ago,

This is as far as I read. A person who
starts a post like this doesn't want
answers, he just wants to fling his
shat into the fan pretending he
wants to be enlightened.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
RogerKint
RogerKint
July 28th, 2016 at 12:31:53 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Blame evolution.

It works not by always sending us Abe Lincolns, but a little bit of everything, from the Kardashians, to Gandhi, to Genghis Khan, to Trump and Flo, (or the actor) who sells Progressive Insurance.

It's not intelligent selection, it's maybe one of these variations will work out for you.

So, you never can really throw away your "I'm with stupid" t-shirt, because stupid will always be with us. It's part of the process.

Until further notice.

Stupid will always be with us. You'll know who they are cause they'll be wearing their "I'm with stupid" t-shirts.
100% risk of ruin
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 28th, 2016 at 6:42:38 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

This is as far as I read. A person who
starts a post like this doesn't want
answers, he just wants to fling his
shat into the fan pretending he
wants to be enlightened.

But he used words like "assuage" and "anodyne"! Clearly, he is enlightened. And enlightened folks do not vote for Trump.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
July 28th, 2016 at 7:06:36 AM permalink
Well, as a white male with a mixed family (which pretty much means a black family as my "black" son and daughter keep telling me), the consensus with my children is that racism in America is alive and very well.

My son simply points to the Trumpers as his evidence and that well over 90% of the people you see at his rallies are white and predominantly from "hick" states.

These are the views of my kids however when I watch a Trump rally, I start playing a "find the black man" game and most of the time I lose.

The answer may be as simple as this.

I do feel the Republican party has always had a problem of spewing hatred and it has finally come back to bite them. Here is my theory on the Republican party.

It is really supposed to be the party of the rich to protect their assets through lower taxes for the rich and higher taxes for the poor and for all types of concessions to big business to benefit the big players. Problem for them is the rich and elite in this country are only about 2%. That does not make a winning vote. So, how do you convince a bunch of poor and middle class people they should vote for rich people's agenda's? You appeal to the other issues they feel even more strongly about.

So, religiously against abortion? Republicans stress anti-abortion (which pits them against women and the right to choose)
religiously against homosexuality? Republicans stress anti-gay prohibitions (which pits them against homosexuals)

The list goes on and basically, the republican party becomes a party spewing hatred to entice the voters filled with hatred to ignore the real motivations of the party.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
July 28th, 2016 at 7:15:34 AM permalink
*Note: I am not a republican or democrat and not a supporter of either Trump or Hillary.

Trump is a reality TV start makes politics watchable for some because you never know what he's going to say. People think it's funny rather than realizing this is a serious matter. America seems to get stupider and stupider. Have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy? I highly suggest you give it a watch, and then you'll understand why people are voting for Trump. That movie will one day be a documentary of how our country fell. It makes perfect logical sense.

In the movie it's explained in the first 10 minutes that dumb people reproduce wildly and smart people wait, have less children, etc... Thus eventually the stupid people "out breed" intelligent people and the country becomes nothing more than idiotic people run by a president who was chosen by winning a wrestling event... essentially how we're picking trump... "who entertains us more?"
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
July 28th, 2016 at 7:18:58 AM permalink
I hear "people keep getting stupider"--I'd be interested to hear "why" you think that is happening.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 28th, 2016 at 7:20:54 AM permalink
Obviously, any intelligent person would vote for someone who is going to work against their interests, but uses a different style of marketing, then pat themselves on the back about how smart they are.

I don't like either of them, but here's a reasonable case. The most important thing the next president will decide, meaning it is something a president can have a great deal of influence over, is TPP. Trump is right on TPP, Hillary is wrong. At least as far as the interests of most people go.

Here's another. Trump might be less likely to start a war. Hillary's proven she has zero regard for the lives of our soldiers, and has been at least partially responsible for unbelievable amounts of death and misery in Iraq, Libya and other places. Trump is more of an isolationist and he might be full of crap, but at least there's a CHANCE he won't bomb people and create chaos purely to make money for his friends.

Here's another point. Trump, at least at face value, represents the idea that candidates should represent voters, and their desires and interests. I'm more in the Bernie camp, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a bunch of candidates like that to chose from?

Clinton represents the idea that we should continue our move to a third world model, where elites have absolute power, and the influence of the lower classes and ever shrinking middle classes is cosmetic, about at the level of high school students voting for class president.

Evanbob is right, of course. But let's pretend you are genuinely interested in understanding this state of affairs. Here's a good interview with Jeffery Sachs on the subject. He's probably not as smart as you are, of course, but maybe you'll get something out of it.

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/07/06/economist-jeffrey-sachs-on-globalizations-risks
Romes
Romes
July 28th, 2016 at 7:21:46 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

I hear "people keep getting stupider"--I'd be interested to hear "why" you think that is happening.

Literally the plot of the movie... Okay I'm not spoiling anything since they explain it in the first 2 minutes anyways...

Dumb people in trailer parks have 10 kids. Jon and Jane who are college educated, have great careers, etc, have 1 maybe 2 kids (or no kids at all) because they're smart and know that's where they're at financially... Eventually you see the lopsided affect that will happen... Stupid people are out breeding intelligent people.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
July 28th, 2016 at 8:07:24 AM permalink
I'm not a Trump supporter. No idea who I'm voting for yet. But I can give you one good reason why I "like" him.

He's not an "establishment" politician. I hate the idea that people can become career politicians. A politician should be a job you have for 5-10 years, sometime in your 30's to 50's, for little to average pay, then move on in your life with a real job. Politicians who have been in D.C. for decades making hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars a year are not in touch with reality and are mostly likely corrupted by corporations and Big Oil/Pharma/Etc. Our political system is a giant mess right now, and while I don't think it's going to destroy our country, anytime some "outsider" can come in and shake things up a bit is fine by me. The fact that someone like Donald f***ing Trump can make it as far as he has honestly gives me a glimmer of hope that the system is not totally broken yet.
rsactuary
rsactuary
July 28th, 2016 at 8:14:55 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

The most important thing the next president will decide, meaning it is something a president can have a great deal of influence over, is TPP. Trump is right on TPP, Hillary is wrong. At least as far as the interests of most people go.

Here's another. Trump might be less likely to start a war. Hillary's proven she has zero regard for the lives of our soldiers, and has been at least partially responsible for unbelievable amounts of death and misery in Iraq, Libya and other places. Trump is more of an isolationist and he might be full of crap, but at least there's a CHANCE he won't bomb people and create chaos purely to make money for his friends.

I think the Supreme Court will be the next president's most important thing. But in regard to TPP, I think Hillary will overturn it if elected. I think she and the party heads feel it might be a slap in the face to BHO to say so on the campaign trail.

On the war front, I think Trump is MORE likely to start a war then Hillary. Hillary has made some mistakes in this area, clearly. I believe she will learn from them.
Romes
Romes
July 28th, 2016 at 8:21:11 AM permalink
Tiger, I agree with a few things you've said, especially about most politicians being lifers who make millions being out of touch with reality... but the fact that Donald Trump made it as far as he has doesn't reflect a thing on how good/bad the political system is. It reflects on how stupid most Americans have become, in my opinion. The guy is clearly a racist bigot with no concept of half the things he tries to talk about, which is a very limited list all the same:

1) Build the wall - this argument has been torn down to the point the leader of mexico took the time to curse and say in ENGLISH "I'm not paying for any fucking wall." The wall would do little if anything to stop people from actually coming in to the country. The wall would cost an unbelievable amount that we don't have.

2) Muslims are the problem, deport them. While I'm agnostic and don't claim a religion (math?) this is just plane old fear mongering and hate speech.

It simply boils down to what I call "shock comedy." Having done comedy for years I hate this kind of comedy, because it takes no thought/effort/skill. It's where a comedian gets on stage and just says all the raw raunchy stuff they can to get shocked laughs from the audience who can't believe the comedian is saying what they're saying. This is Trumps entire campaign and it's PAINFUL to watch people eat it up because he's "anti-establishment." No... he's just blurting out obscenities to get your attention and it's sad that people are "caught up" by that and not educated enough to understand he isn't actually talking about anything. It's just shock comedy.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 28th, 2016 at 8:33:10 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Republicans stress anti-abortion.....

But republicans are pro-death penalty. Guess it's all in the timing, eh?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 28th, 2016 at 8:41:35 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Nor do they want children to be 100% guaranteed healthcare no matter the circumstance. Apparently some people only care about other humans as long as those humans haven't been born.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 28th, 2016 at 8:51:43 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Nor do they want children to be 100% guaranteed healthcare no matter the circumstance. Apparently some people only care about other humans as long as those humans haven't been born.

Health care is a private product/service. You have no right to it.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 8:54:32 AM permalink

Innocent unborn lives matter. The 743 scumbags on San Quentin's East Block do not. The animal who murdered 12-year old Polly Klaas has been there 25 years. Fry him already. Bring back Old Sparky and plug it in.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 9:06:09 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

743 inmates waiting in California on San Quentin's East Block. So many of them have been there for over two decades waiting for their fate, one guy for 35 years. That means that the large number of obviously young "children" on this forum were not even born yet when these animals committed the most horrible atrocities and heinous murders. Go ahead, google them. Look them up, read their stories. If you're human, you'll puke.

Yeah, I guess it's all in the timing. How about tomorrow? Get the needle ready.

(oh, us republicans are so heartless)
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 28th, 2016 at 9:06:41 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

But in regard to TPP, I think Hillary will overturn it if elected. I think she and the party heads feel it might be a slap in the face to BHO to say so on the campaign trail.

LOLOLOLOLOL what makes you think this in any way? HillDawg is bought by big corporations and TPP is great for them, not so great for the average American.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 28th, 2016 at 9:15:10 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

1) Build the wall - this argument has been torn down to the point the leader of mexico took the time to curse and say in ENGLISH "I'm not paying for any fucking wall."

EX-president, not current.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2016 at 9:25:31 AM permalink
I'm pro-death penalty AND pro-abortion! At least I'm consistent!
rsactuary
rsactuary
July 28th, 2016 at 9:27:00 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

LOLOLOLOLOL what makes you think this in any way? HillDawg is bought by big corporations and TPP is great for them, not so great for the average American.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. Drink some more Faux News koolaid!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
July 28th, 2016 at 9:27:31 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Innocent unborn lives matter. The 743 scumbags on San Quentin's East Block do not. The animal who murdered 12-year old Polly Klaas has been there 25 years. Fry him already. Bring back Old Sparky and plug it in.

Kid's born into bad situations are the one's who end up in San Quentin

http://freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/
RogerKint
RogerKint
July 28th, 2016 at 9:29:07 AM permalink
You could never be pro abortion and anti immigration ;)
100% risk of ruin
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 9:40:09 AM permalink

Kid's born into bad situations are the one's who end up in San Quentin

Yeah? BFD. What do you suggest? Kill them?

If there's one thing I'm not going to argue on this forum and that is abortion. You'll never get me to shut up. Please, don't encourage me. lol

Maybe everyone should watch one. Burn the living baby with saline solution, rip its arms and legs apart, pull it out and throw it in the sink. And this forum is already full of people saying how coldblooded and heartless us republicans are. Just don't get me started, man. Just don't get me started.

Thread closed!
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 9:44:43 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. Drink some more Faux News koolaid!

lol back at you. These one-sided trade deals have been WAY BI-PARTISAN.

See how easy that was? That's because I am honest and objective.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
July 28th, 2016 at 10:14:27 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

My son simply points to the Trumpers as his evidence and that well over 90% of the people you see at his rallies are white and predominantly from "hick" states.

This is because more than 90% of black folks vote democrat. You will never see a lot black folks at any republican event, quit using this as a smear on Mr. Trump.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 28th, 2016 at 11:26:24 AM permalink
THis GOP convention had far,far fewer minority delegates than the last couple. I expected the number to be down but it was way off.

There were 18 black delegates in this years show. Down over 75% from in 2000.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2016 at 11:32:35 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

THis GOP convention had far,far fewer minority delegates than the last couple.

Yeah, but they made up for that by having a buttload of tiny American flags.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 28th, 2016 at 11:37:09 AM permalink

lol back at you. These one-sided trade deals have been WAY BI-PARTISAN.

See how easy that was? That's because I am honest and objective.

Seriously. Who was prez when nafta passed?

Partisan blinders are amazing. Divide and conquer.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 28th, 2016 at 11:43:32 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Seriously. Who was prez when nafta passed?

Partisan blinders are amazing. Divide and conquer.

The nafta agreement was actually negotiated and agreed to by Bush 41. It was signed into law by WJC. Timing and all, with Congress involved.

So, enough blame to go around for all.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 12:09:51 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The nafta agreement was actually negotiated and agreed to by Bush 41. It was signed into law by WJC. Timing and all, with Congress involved.

So, enough blame to go around for all.

Political rhetoric and actual deeds are often quite contradicting. Richard Nixon built a CAREER on being "anti-communist". A career!!! But who was it that first visited Mao Tse Tung, the arch-murderer of the world's history? Isn't there an actual photograph of them sticking their tongues in each other's mouth?

Talk is cheap, politicians are liars. BOTH parties. A fake left-right paradigm. Hegelian dialectic. yada yada yada
Romes
Romes
July 28th, 2016 at 12:14:00 PM permalink

...Talk is cheap, politicians are liars. BOTH parties. A fake left-right paradigm. Hegelian dialectic. yada yada yada

But with everyone caught up betwen the "two" sides, people will forget... there's actually more than 2 sides. ::tinfoil::
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 12:25:29 PM permalink

But with everyone caught up betwen the "two" sides, people will forget... there's actually more than 2 sides. ::tinfoil::

What? Like a pair of dice? Romes, don't confuse me. I have enough troubles.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 28th, 2016 at 12:30:58 PM permalink
The NC GOP twitter page is outraged that Tim Kaine wore a pin of a Hondourian flag during his speech. Only it was a pin given to family members of Service people serving overseas.

You can't make this stuff up.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 28, 2016
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 28th, 2016 at 12:36:26 PM permalink

The NC twitter page is outraged that Tim Kaine wore a pin of a Hondourian flag during his speech. Only it was a pin given to family members of Service people serving overseas.

Haha, oh, geez... I saw that pin and thought, "Oh, he has a family member in the military," and then I immediately thought, "Somebody is going to slam him for that pin somehow..." Now I know how.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 28th, 2016 at 12:37:19 PM permalink

The NC twitter page is outraged that Tim Kaine wore a pin of a Hondourian flag during his speech. Only it was a pin given to family members of Service people serving overseas.

(deleted)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 28th, 2016 at 1:29:07 PM permalink
Because the Trumpers can hit higher notes than the Tromboners.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 28th, 2016 at 4:01:27 PM permalink
Both mainstream parties are fractured and in disarray.

Time for the tea party folk to start their own party, and the Berners to do the same.
"What, me worry?"
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
July 28th, 2016 at 6:45:35 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Both mainstream parties are fractured and in disarray.

Time for the tea party folk to start their own party, and the Berners to do the same.

There has never been a time in human history, let alone American history, when a political party hasn't included people with vastly differing viewpoints. It's actually a healthy thing. Look at what's happening to the Republiholes. It's become a question of adhering to a strict orthodoxy for them, and anyone who doesn't adhere to that is shouted down. Look at what has happened to anyone who actually wants to compromise or work with Obama.

The tea party is just a bizarre, extreme version of Republican orthodoxy. The Bernie-poo movement is just kids getting pissed at their parents because they didn't get a new car when they were 16, Take 500. Splintering the parties into various factions and sects won't improve anything--it will just increase the volume of the squabbling. Worst case scenario: we turn into France. And who wants to be France? Not even the French.

The Democrats will crush the Republicans in this year's elections precisely because they have proved better at unifying than the Republicans. The Democrats are acknowledging their differences but uniting for a common goal. The Republicans are screaming at each other over being or not being "true Republicans." Game all but over. It may even come to a Democrat majority in the House, despite the Republiholes' criminal gerrymandering.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
July 28th, 2016 at 7:01:23 PM permalink

The wall would cost an unbelievable amount that we don't have.

Not if we pay them to build it on the way out.

Ps. New members > Donald Trump< no insulting him.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
July 28th, 2016 at 7:11:03 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Not if we pay them to build it on the way out.

It's an asinine idea that has gotten far more discussion than it deserves:

1. If built in Mexico, it would be an invasion of the territory of a sovereign nation--an act of war.
2. If built in the US, it would necessitate seizing by eminent domain the landholdings of every single individual and organization that owned property abutting the border.
3. Your silly comment aside, it would cost a truly insane amount of money, and "they" couldn't pay for it even if we somehow convinced them to (and calling an entire nation criminals and rapists is a sure-fire way to get them to see things your way).
4. Trump would not have the authority to make it happen.
5. The eventual cost from the choking off of cross-border trade (either by complete closure or creating bottlenecks) would be in the trillions--hard to swallow for those business-savvy Republicans.

All that aside, anyone who thinks that the presence of Mexicans, legal and illegal, in the US is anything but a strong net positive needs to get back on his/her meds before it's too late.
RogerKint
RogerKint
July 28th, 2016 at 8:15:22 PM permalink

3. Your silly comment aside, it would cost a truly insane amount of money, and "they" couldn't pay for it even if we somehow convinced them to (and calling an entire nation criminals and rapists is a sure-fire way to get them to see things your way).

You're right. We should be calling them a-holes and remind them to take their meds til they see things our way. You also seem to think its ok to make fun of one's skin color. All great ideas.
100% risk of ruin
  • Jump to: