4 votes (3.36%)
3 votes (2.52%)

119 members have voted

MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 15th, 2016 at 1:14:08 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

That was me! I still think he has a chance to put his foot in his mouth so deep even he can't overcome it!

But don't you think he's been trying (and failing) so far?

Let's speculate for a moment -- what would Trump have to do or say that would so enrage his supporters that he lost every state? Other than something like "hahaha, this whole thing was a joke, I was trying to get rid of the other Republican candidates like Jeb or Marco or Ted so you'd vote for Hillary. She's in my pocket because I donated millions to her PAC, but then you morons went and voted for me too much so now I have to run, and I don't care who wins because I get richer either way!"

Besides something like that, what could he possibly say that would tilt the scales so much? I mean, the guy's a hilarious caricature of a politician -- he recently claimed to have the best memory ever, and then later claimed he didn't recall saying that. It seems to me that Trump -- to many -- has become like the untrained dog you rescue from the pound, and you put up with him tearing up your carpet and pooping on the floor because your daughter just loves him so much. The only thing he could do to make you send him back to the pound is attack your daughter, and even then you'd probably just send him to obedience school. Is there really such a dramatic wrong Trump could do here that would cause every state to vote him down?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 15th, 2016 at 1:19:48 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wore a comical Trump T-shirt recently to the local teriyaki joint, and got a lot of negative attention / stares / glares.

I would never wear anything political in public. I would never put a political bumper sticker on my car.

I have no desire to bring that attention onto myself. Why alienate half of people who see you?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 15th, 2016 at 1:29:46 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Let's speculate for a moment -- what would Trump have to do or say that would so enrage his supporters that he lost every state? Is there really such a dramatic wrong Trump could do here that would cause every state to vote him down?

It's not all that implausible. I'm thinking of the single remark that killed Romney in 2012. Granted, many far worse remarks have Tefloned right off of Trump's back, but who's to say what the collective moron mind of the electorate will or won't react to? The media inflate everything that's said or done in a Presidential election--how many thousands of hours of TV broadcast time have been consumed showing over and over a five-second video of Hillary stumbling as she got into a helicopter?--so who knows what they might fasten on in the near future?

I'll tell you the specific sort of thing that Trump might say that would alienate many of his supporters, though. It would be a complete reversal of one of his prized positions. Something like "the vast majority of Mexican immigrants, legal and illegal, are honest, hardworking people" or "the wall is a stupid fantasy, and it'll never happen" or "there's nothing wrong with being a Muslim." Even "Hillary is human" might actually do it. And we certainly know he's capable of grossly contradicting himself, sometimes within the span of a single minute.

Remember, he doesn't have to piss off the entire mucilaginous mass of his supporters. Just losing a small percentage of them would ensure his losing the election in any state, even the dead-red mouth-breather flyover ones that he's expected to win handily (and there aren't all that many of those left).
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 15th, 2016 at 2:09:28 PM permalink

Let's speculate for a moment -- what would Trump have to do or say that would so enrage his supporters that he lost every state? Other than something like "hahaha, this whole thing was a joke, I was trying to get rid of the other Republican candidates like Jeb or Marco or Ted so you'd vote for Hillary. She's in my pocket because I donated millions to her PAC, but then you morons went and voted for me too much so now I have to run, and I don't care who wins because I get richer either way!"

Besides something like that, what could he possibly say that would tilt the scales so much? I mean, the guy's a hilarious caricature of a politician -- he recently claimed to have the best memory ever, and then later claimed he didn't recall saying that. It seems to me that Trump -- to many -- has become like the untrained dog you rescue from the pound, and you put up with him tearing up your carpet and pooping on the floor because your daughter just loves him so much. The only thing he could do to make you send him back to the pound is attack your daughter, and even then you'd probably just send him to obedience school. Is there really such a dramatic wrong Trump could do here that would cause every state to vote him down?

Announce he'd put nominate Obama to fill Scalia's spot, reveal his wife was a male when they first hooked up and declare man made global warming is real. That ought to do it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 15th, 2016 at 2:59:04 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Announce he'd put nominate Obama to fill Scalia's spot, reveal his wife was a male when they first hooked up and declare man made global warming is real. That ought to do it.

You guys are optimists.

Pretty sure he could levitate off a bed, rotate his head 360º, spew vomit, and he'd only lose a few voters. Eh, maybe he did that already?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 15th, 2016 at 3:40:41 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Dubai is pretty fabulous
6 and 7 star hotels

There is no such thing as a six or seven star hotel. That is all self-promotion. Hotels have to be rated by an outside evaluation, I believe Mobil was the firsts to do so.

And all you are seeing is the shiny side of the place. Freedom is severely limited and if you are not a muslim you best watch yourself.

To credit Dubai, they have made up for their lack of oil by being a financial center and pulling in nearby oil money. OTOH the place is kind of a Potemkin Village. Lots of fancy stuff with little reason to be where it is and a population too large to last when the oil money stops propping things up.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 15th, 2016 at 3:49:08 PM permalink

Okay, so inside your mind, "colonial-era Europe" was a "side" -- like a team, acting in unison toward a common purpose, just like "Islam" is today. That clarifies things.

Finally!

Yes, both were sides. Now. before you go off on that, lets understand what "side" means. It does not mean that everything was planned and coordinated like a football team or even NATO. What it means is common cultures with common goals did common things. The Dutch, French, and Brits had their own individual colonies apart frm each other, but their cultures were more alike than different and way more alike than the Indians, who on their side were more alike than different and more alike than they were to the Europeans.

Same thing today. Muslim societies share few values with Western nations. Plop a very few muslims in a western nation and they will probably assimilate by the simple need to survive. Plop a critical mass and they will Balkanize, as they have in their no-go zones in Europe. Let the critical mass grow enough and you have societal struggle for domination.

See? It is not about you knowing a few "good muslim folks." It is about the culture. And that is where the faculty-lounge types will be defeated. Too busy arguing the exceptions that they miss what is happening all around them.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 15th, 2016 at 4:14:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Finally!

Yes, both were sides. Now. before you go off on that, lets understand what "side" means. It does not mean that everything was planned and coordinated like a football team or even NATO. What it means is common cultures with common goals did common things. The Dutch, French, and Brits had their own individual colonies apart frm each other, but their cultures were more alike than different and way more alike than the Indians, who on their side were more alike than different and more alike than they were to the Europeans.

Same thing today. Muslim societies share few values with Western nations. Plop a very few muslims in a western nation and they will probably assimilate by the simple need to survive. Plop a critical mass and they will Balkanize, as they have in their no-go zones in Europe. Let the critical mass grow enough and you have societal struggle for domination.

See? It is not about you knowing a few "good muslim folks." It is about the culture. And that is where the faculty-lounge types will be defeated. Too busy arguing the exceptions that they miss what is happening all around them.

People who have the education that you lack (and of course, disagree with you)= "faculty-lounge types." I understand that your personal worldview is that Muslims are savage beasts who infiltrate countries until they reach a "critical mass," at which point they explode in a mass of terror, revolution, and bloodshed. Those faculty knowledge freaks can't be trusted--let's all listen to uneducated rednecks instead, who alone have a true handle on the situation!

Woo hoo! I see the threat now! I'm going to go burn down a mosque!!!!

Your ignorance of history is amazing. Saying that the European colonizing powers were "common cultures with common goals" is stupid. In reality, they were at each others' throats and struggling for supremacy in and outside Europe for centuries. And you want to talk about religious warfare? The Protestant vs. Catholic wars went on far longer and were more violent and bloody than any Islam vs. Christianity conflict--the Crusades included. Tell a 16th century Spaniard or an Englishman that their countries and cultures were alike, or had a lot in common, and you might not survive. For that matter, telling the same thing to members of two Indian tribes might elicit the same reaction.

I would imagine that your dreaded "critical mass" must exceed 1.5 million, as that is the number of Muslims in the United States--yet, they have not formed isolated enclaves or started an Islamic revolution. Really, Duff baby, they are just people. They ARE, in fact, quite similar to the rest of "us." They want to live happy, prosperous lives, exist in peace and security, and see their children grow up happy and healthy. What primal need of yours is fueled by the constant urge to hate and demonize others?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 15th, 2016 at 4:34:13 PM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

People who have the education that you lack (and of course, disagree with you)= "faculty-lounge types." I understand that your personal worldview is that Muslims are savage beasts who infiltrate countries until they reach a "critical mass," at which point they explode in a mass of terror, revolution, and bloodshed. Those faculty knowledge freaks can't be trusted--let's all listen to uneducated rednecks instead, who alone have a true handle on the situation!

Not quite. "Faculty Lounge Types" are types who are generally over-educated, book smart but street stupid types. They are the kind who live in books and ideas, but never actually the real world. YouTube "Back to School first day of economics class" where Thorton Mellon tells Dr Bombay how the world works if you can't quite get the mental picture. Or in actual history look to 2009 and all the talk of "Green Jobs." I remember stories of people getting "certified" for a "Green Job." Few if any got a "Green Job" because there was no such thing. Instead of teaching carpentry, plumbing, and electrical the "smart people" set up these certifications in putting in insulation or using a caulk gun. Skills that tradesmen already had. All that money of ours wasted and all that time for the poor people who fell for it. But I digress.

Quote:

Woo hoo! I see the threat now! I'm going to go burn down a mosque!!!!

Have fun, Democrats have a history of burning things to terrorize those they do not like in the USA, I thought it went out with the 60s, though.

Quote:

I would imagine that your dreaded "critical mass" must exceed 1.5 million, as that is the number of Muslims in the United States--yet, they have not formed isolated enclaves or started an Islamic revolution.

Really? You never heard of Dearborn? You have never seen a muslim part of a town? You might want to get out of your nice, comfy suburbs more often. They are there, and they become no-go at some point, same as they have in Europe.

My "critical mass" is 5%-30%. As it goes closer to 30% you will see more and more violence, just look at parts of the world where the same numbers are being reached.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
September 15th, 2016 at 4:47:29 PM permalink
There is no sugar coating this. If you think this election is a close call, you are either not paying attention, SEVERELY misinformed, or a combination of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CceQISThDYQ

"We're gonna have two lunches!"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 15th, 2016 at 5:06:02 PM permalink

Finally!

Yes, both were sides. Now. before you go off on that, lets understand what "side" means. It does not mean that everything was planned and coordinated like a football team or even NATO. What it means is common cultures with common goals did common things. The Dutch, French, and Brits had their own individual colonies apart frm each other, but their cultures were more alike than different

It's so sad that you missed the sarcasm. The Dutch, French, British, and Spanish (just to name a few) were at war with each other during colonial times, and those wars carried over to the New World colonies. The idea that "colonial Europe" was a common culture with common goals is as ludicrous as the idea that "Islam" is a common culture with common goals. Or that "Christianity" is a common culture with common goals. You want an example of how divided "Christianity" can be on a topic, just take a survey on whether "Christians" are for or against Israel. Or homosexuality.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 15th, 2016 at 5:19:04 PM permalink

It's so sad that you missed the sarcasm. The Dutch, French, British, and Spanish (just to name a few) were at war with each other during colonial times, and those wars carried over to the New World colonies. The idea that "colonial Europe" was a common culture with common goals is as ludicrous as the idea that "Islam" is a common culture with common goals. Or that "Christianity" is a common culture with common goals. You want an example of how divided "Christianity" can be on a topic, just take a survey on whether "Christians" are for or against Israel. Or homosexuality.

More faculty lounge talk. You still sit here and think because Britain and France fought a war that their goals were not "common." They all had a goal of colonies in the new world. Just because they were rivals did not make it any better for the Indians whom they completely overwhelmed.

Same with muslims. You can go on all you like about Sunni and Shia an Wahabbi and whatever. They are all more alike than different and it matters not if Shia or Sunni when they overrun your society.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 15th, 2016 at 5:48:26 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I cannot recall a Presidential election with as few bumper stickers and lawn signs from a candidate's supporters.

Who wants to get their card keyed or lawn sign stolen? Either side will do it to the other. Bad enough I still have a "women for Obama" sticker on my back window.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 15th, 2016 at 6:26:23 PM permalink

More faculty lounge talk. You still sit here and think because Britain and France fought a war that their goals were not "common." They all had a goal of colonies in the new world. Just because they were rivals did not make it any better for the Indians whom they completely overwhelmed.

Same with muslims. You can go on all you like about Sunni and Shia an Wahabbi and whatever. They are all more alike than different and it matters not if Shia or Sunni when they overrun your society.

Aside from your blatant (and stupid, and self-evidently counterproductive) disrespect for education and/or intelligence, let's drill down on your position on Islam in America.

Trump has proposed a Muslim registry database. Are you for that or against that?
ams288
ams288
September 15th, 2016 at 6:31:39 PM permalink
Tonight Trump again refused to say whether or not he now believes Obama was born in Hawaii.

PREDICTION: During the first debate, Trump will finally renounce birtherism. Admit that Obama is a US citizen. It will make him appear "moderate" to everyone who isn't crazy and knows Obama is American. The media will go wild. And the crazy birthers won't care if he changes his position because they only hear what they want to hear anyway.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 15th, 2016 at 9:05:53 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Tonight Trump again refused to say whether or not he now believes Obama was born in Hawaii.

PREDICTION: During the first debate, Trump will finally renounce birtherism. Admit that Obama is a US citizen. It will make him appear "moderate" to everyone who isn't crazy and knows Obama is American. The media will go wild. And the crazy birthers won't care if he changes his position because they only hear what they want to hear anyway.

Yes, it makes me sick to think that Trump may be implementing a grand strategy of appearing kinda sorta reasonable for a change so that his supporters will swoon in delight and Fox News anchors will have on-camera orgasms. The reason is, the strategy could very well work. Look at that farcical Mexico visit. Trump lied about what was said, then returned to Arizona and reiterated his hate message. Yet, all the media could focus on was that he didn't actually punch the guy in the face. That made him appear Presidential, apparently.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 15th, 2016 at 9:09:36 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Who wants to get their card keyed or lawn sign stolen? Either side will do it to the other. Bad enough I still have a "women for Obama" sticker on my back window.

That reminds me of a Bloom County comic strip from way back re Phyllis Schlafly. (Ding, dong, the witch is dead!) The punchline was that she had started a new political organization: "Ladies Against Women."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
September 15th, 2016 at 11:27:12 PM permalink
Me looking at the polls come in...

Hillary dropping like a rock...

My prediction is that by early next week, 538 will be > 50% for Trump. Turns out, folks don't want to elect a corpse. Let alone, a corpse that thanks 50% of 50% of them are deplorable!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 16th, 2016 at 12:25:52 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Me looking at the polls come in...

Hillary dropping like a rock...

My prediction is that by early next week, 538 will be > 50% for Trump. Turns out, folks don't want to elect a corpse. Let alone, a corpse that thanks 50% of 50% of them are deplorable!

Well, me, you are great at selective perception. And everybody but you--even Trump--has dropped the Hillary health issue as inconsequential.

Hillary wasn't wrong about the "deplorables," by the way. Her 50% figure was, if anything, too low. You have to be bigoted, racist, sexist, and kind of thick overall to support Trump. I don't think the American people want to elect an incompetent, aside from how much of a jerkass he is.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 16th, 2016 at 1:34:26 AM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

<snip>Hillary wasn't wrong about the "deplorables," by the way. Her 50% figure was, if anything, too low. You have to be bigoted, racist, sexist, and kind of thick overall to support Trump. I don't think the American people want to elect an incompetent, aside from how much of a jerkass he is.<snip>

Of course you have to be nuts to consider supporting Trump; sane people could only possibly support Hillary. The interesting things is that there are many, many more "non-deplorables" than "deplorables" supporting Trump than you can even fathom. You don't want it to be so, of course, so you lump everyone you can in that category and then toss insults at them at will and you declare that the "basket" contains many more than even 50%.

I took your posts overly seriously at first and responded badly to your personal insults. I've read enough of your ramblings now to know that you represent a side of the left that is offensive and nasty. To be sure, there is a portion of the right that is "out there" in much the same way as you are...BOTH of those groups are the true "Basket of Deplorables"...the rest of us, well, we are just working hard and doing our best to live good lives.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 16th, 2016 at 2:26:51 AM permalink

Aside from your blatant (and stupid, and self-evidently counterproductive) disrespect for education and/or intelligence, let's drill down on your position on Islam in America.

Trump has proposed a Muslim registry database. Are you for that or against that?

For muslim immigrants I do. We have them for gun owners, sex offenders, etc?

BTW: My disrespect as you put it is not about educated people, it is to people who think they are smart because of a degree on the wall but they clearly cannot think. For people who look down on others because they have a degree. For people who think a degree is everything. For people who do not see how useless many degrees are. And the most for people who are book smart but street stupid and think in theory rather than looking at reality.

For example, a medical doctor I have great respect for. A masters degree in Woman's Studies I laugh at.

But even then it there is the "faculty lounge" thing. A person takes the position that life is what it is on a college campus and I give no respect to their education.
Last edited by: AZDuffman on Sep 16, 2016
ams288
ams288
September 16th, 2016 at 4:06:42 AM permalink

Trump was actually over 50% at 538 briefly during the summer.

Best not to get your hopes up too high based on polls taken when one candidate has been off the campaign trail for 5 days with pneumonia.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
September 16th, 2016 at 5:29:31 AM permalink

Turns out, folks don't want to elect a corpse.

ams288
ams288
September 16th, 2016 at 6:06:48 AM permalink

Looks like my prediction is not going to make it.

Donald is scheduled to make a speech today (at his new D.C. hotel - go figure) and address his birther past.

I'm sure he will say Obama is a citizen, give himself credit for getting Obama to release his birth certificate in 2011, and blame Hillary for starting the birther movement (which is a lie that righties are increasingly starting to spread).
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 16th, 2016 at 8:07:51 AM permalink

For muslim immigrants I do. We have them for gun owners, sex offenders, etc?

Let's be very clear here. I'm not talking about a database for immigrants, I'm talking about a database of Muslim Americans regardless of where they were born or how many generations their families have been in the United States.

Quote: November 22, 2015, "This Week" (ABC News)

George Stephanopoulos: "You did stir up a controversy with those comments over the database. Let's try to clear that up. Are you unequivocally now ruling out a database on all Muslims?"

"No, not at all," Trump responded.

Do you unequivocally rule out a database on all Muslims, or do you support such a database?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 16th, 2016 at 8:15:01 AM permalink

Let's be very clear here. I'm not talking about a database for immigrants, I'm talking about a database of Muslim Americans regardless of where they were born or how many generations their families have been in the United States.

Do you unequivocally rule out a database on all Muslims, or do you support such a database?

How do you prove somebody is a Muslim?
Thought police?
lol
Do you consider Obama a Muslim?
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 16th, 2016 at 8:20:09 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

How do you prove somebody is a Muslim?
Thought police?

That's not the point. I want to know what AZD thinks about the policy, not how he'd implement it.
ams288
ams288
September 16th, 2016 at 8:58:24 AM permalink
So Trump's huge speech was 25 minutes of veterans praising him, and then 30 seconds of him saying Hillary started birtherism in 2008 (false), he ended it (false), and Obama is a U.S. citizen (true).

He majorly played the media. They gave him all this free air time to pimp out his new D.C. hotel. His campaign said he would take questions afterwards. He didn't.

After the speech, he took a few reporters from his press pool on a tour of the hotel but still wouldn't answer questions.

Then this happened:

Quote: maggieNYT

A source says Trump broadcast pool just erased tape of his tour of the hotel in protest of bait-and-switch w no editorial access.

The media is wising up (finally). No free advertisement tour of his hotel from the media.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
September 16th, 2016 at 10:16:13 AM permalink
Still waiting on the "amazing things" his team found in Hawaii.

This guy is a disgrace.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
September 16th, 2016 at 10:21:02 AM permalink

I'm sure he will say Obama is a citizen, give himself credit for getting Obama to release his birth certificate in 2011, and blame Hillary for starting the birther movement (which is a lie that righties are increasingly starting to spread).

Nailed it!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 16th, 2016 at 10:22:53 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

I bet it was seashells.
terapined
terapined
September 16th, 2016 at 11:00:27 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

This guy is a disgrace.

I clearly remember that press conference
It something like this
"My lawyers are Hawaii right now and you wont believe what we have uncovered"

I'm still waiting also
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
September 16th, 2016 at 11:01:59 AM permalink
With all the electronic ink wasted each day on this thread, I am wondering which of the "enlightened" on each side of the Hillary/Trump debate has a wager on the election?

Can you bet the election at Vegas Sportsbooks? If so, I am going to have to get some money down somewhere just for the entertainment value alone.
terapined
terapined
September 16th, 2016 at 11:11:05 AM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

With all the electronic ink wasted each day on this thread, I am wondering which of the "enlightened" on each side of the Hillary/Trump debate has a wager on the election?

Can you bet the election at Vegas Sportsbooks? If so, I am going to have to get some money down somewhere just for the entertainment value alone.

Vegas no
UK yes

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner
ams288
ams288
September 16th, 2016 at 12:37:19 PM permalink
No shocker here: Gary Johnson and Jill Stein have failed to qualify for the first debate, according to the Debate Commission.

It will be head to head for Trump and Hillary.

Ratings will be YUGE!
rxwine
rxwine
September 16th, 2016 at 1:41:46 PM permalink
Not long from now either. Just over a week.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 16th, 2016 at 2:02:38 PM permalink

For example, a medical doctor I have great respect for. A masters degree in Woman's Studies I laugh at.

Thanks for having respect for me. But you should have respect for the Woman's Studies Masters as well. That person completed a college degree in something, and then decided to continue learning more about a particular subject. My son (Son of SOOPOO) is deep into his PhD in entomology, the study of bugs.... I can assure you, the rigors of his program in many ways exceeds what I had to do to become an MD. AZ, I understand the concept that an advanced degree does not guarantee the 'smarts' needed to tackle every issue, but I never denigrate someone for putting in the time and effort to get that degree.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 16th, 2016 at 3:16:07 PM permalink

Thanks for having respect for me. But you should have respect for the Woman's Studies Masters as well. That person completed a college degree in something, and then decided to continue learning more about a particular subject. My son (Son of SOOPOO) is deep into his PhD in entomology, the study of bugs.... I can assure you, the rigors of his program in many ways exceeds what I had to do to become an MD. AZ, I understand the concept that an advanced degree does not guarantee the 'smarts' needed to tackle every issue, but I never denigrate someone for putting in the time and effort to get that degree.

It boggles my mind that anyone could be anti-education even a little bit, but it's an offshoot of the anti-intellectualism that has plagued the U.S. since at least the 1950s. The main argument seems to be that working in the "real world" is more valuable than studying in college. It's a false dichotomy, of course -- studying in college makes working in the "real world" a more profitable endeavor, and it's not like time spent learning is somehow not "the real world."

AZDuffman recently said that he "shines his shoes with my degree." That's the sign of a man who thinks a degree is just a piece of paper, no more valuable than an unsolicited yard furniture catalog or a used tissue. People like that are why the diploma mill industry exists. If your only aspiration in life is to shine your shoes, absolutely, don't go to college. There are far, far cheaper pieces of paper.

What I fail to comprehend is how so many people, especially in the Trump voter demographic (economically disadvantaged white non-college graduates), could complain about financial struggles and lack of job opportunities and, simultaneously, be proud of not having a college degree. Isn't it obvious that's *why* they're struggling financially? I mean, I get the squeeze that's happening to the under-educated in the job market: the unskilled labor jobs are going to folks who are willing to work for less (and the employers are sensibly hiring those laborers), while the skilled labor or white-collar jobs require college degrees. But the answer isn't to build a wall or denigrate people who went to college. That smacks of envy, not well-considered public policy.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
September 16th, 2016 at 4:00:33 PM permalink

I have standing bets with members here. I didn't get good odds, though.
My $50 (Trump) against the Wizards $75 (field)

And even money with miplet (again me taking Trump).

Also have a bet on another forum at 2-1, so those are the best odds I got. But it's not in cash, it's in bottles of Adam Carolla's signature Mangria!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 16th, 2016 at 4:21:04 PM permalink

If I could get down a bet to fade Trump winning *and* passing his latest tax plan, I'd put several tens of thousands on it: I'd have the middle! Did you hear -- he wants to make all corporate profits taxed at 15%, including S corps which are used by solo consultants like me as pass-throughs. Currently I'm an LLC, but all I'd have to do is restructure my business and my tax rate would basically get cut in half.

I *want* Hillary to win, but if Trump wins at least I'll be able to cheer myself up with tax savings. It'll cover the tickets to Australia. :)
rxwine
rxwine
September 16th, 2016 at 4:26:25 PM permalink

It boggles my mind that anyone could be anti-education even a little bit, but it's an offshoot of the anti-intellectualism that has plagued the U.S. since at least the 1950s. The main argument seems to be that working in the "real world" is more valuable than studying in college.

I'll take a wild guess where some of this comes from. Often times you can have degreed new hires put into supervisory positions over people who may have years of experience in their job. (think of the stereotype battle axe secretary who has seen 5 bosses come and go and probably sees the same mistakes repeated again and again and just shakes her head in knowing disdain) The perception that someone is being bossed around by a higher paid clueless inexperienced supervisor is an easy perception to have in this case.

Of course, those people with years experience also probably started off just as clueless, or even worse if they had little background education in the area they work.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 16th, 2016 at 4:35:57 PM permalink

Entomology I get. I used to be a PCO and that was a job where you did not get the respect you deserved. One of the only jobs where you send people out to kill everyday. We had a cop gave us training once in how detectives will take what bugs are on a body to determine how long it has been there. This was years before Gil Grissom showed us how that works. Next to zero practical use for us, but boy, did everyone love it. We tried to get the same guy the next year but 9/11 happened and no NYC cop was given any time for any non-essential duties.

Which brings me to the Womans Studies degree. An advanced degree in that? Sorry, but I just cannot give high respect there. My general rule is if a course or degree program has "studies" in it then it is pretty useless. Of course, we all take some useless courses. You could have a course on some famous women, like Abagail Adams, who played a part in history behind the scenes. But a whole major, let alone an advanced program?

If that interests you, better ways to learn about it than drop six figures on two degrees. Parallel example. "Casino" is my favorite movie and as such I read most anything I can find on Rosenthal, Spilotro, and the Stardust. Does that get me anything besides personal satisfaction? Very little practical use. Womens Studies is really the same way. It is a hobby, not a degree program.

I actually talked online to a WS major once. I was bored and on indeed I was in the forums and some girl was asking advice. A few back and forth messages and she said she had a WS major. I asked why she took it and she said she liked the subject. She was a true faculty-lounge type as she wanted work in the non-profit sector. I asked why there and she could not answer. I tried some probing questions, no more luck. She also did not want to move or commute much. I finally wrote back and told her she needs to face the fact that she had a useless degree and was coming off like someone afraid of the real world.

That is how I see these fad degrees. Hang around campus until you are 30 to avoid real life.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 16th, 2016 at 4:49:21 PM permalink

I neither support it nor do I rule it out. Do you think the FBI and NSA do not keep similar databases on people or do you accept reality that they probably do?

It boggles my mind that anyone could be anti-education even a little bit, but it's an offshoot of the anti-intellectualism that has plagued the U.S. since at least the 1950s. The main argument seems to be that working in the "real world" is more valuable than studying in college. It's a false dichotomy, of course -- studying in college makes working in the "real world" a more profitable endeavor, and it's not like time spent learning is somehow not "the real world."

No, it helps people who can leverage it. I have worked alongside multiple MBAs and attorneys stuck doing the same work I was doing. Aforementioned degrees with the word "studies" in them provide near zero leverage to more income. And lets not forget all the educated folks working at Barnes & Nobble.

Quote:

What I fail to comprehend is how so many people, especially in the Trump voter demographic (economically disadvantaged white non-college graduates), could complain about financial struggles and lack of job opportunities and, simultaneously, be proud of not having a college degree. Isn't it obvious that's *why* they're struggling financially? I mean, I get the squeeze that's happening to the under-educated in the job market: the unskilled labor jobs are going to folks who are willing to work for less (and the employers are sensibly hiring those laborers), while the skilled labor or white-collar jobs require college degrees. But the answer isn't to build a wall or denigrate people who went to college. That smacks of envy, not well-considered public policy.

You fail to comprehend it because the piece of paper is important to you. I have my degree but I still have more respect to the guy who broke his balls in the real world and did not let the lack of a degree stop him. The guy who did it in a world where they were always told, "GET YOUR DEGREE!" "Get a degree or you will not succeed.

Watch some Mike Rowe and you will understand where I am coming from. Knowing what I know now in today's market I would take a trade.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 16th, 2016 at 4:51:35 PM permalink

Looks like you would fit in perfectly in the lamestream media. They probably had the same idea, Trump owned them, made Hillary look bad to boot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 16th, 2016 at 5:20:05 PM permalink

Looks like you would fit in perfectly in the lamestream media. They probably had the same idea, Trump owned them, made Hillary look bad to boot.

What, by telling multiple lies? By not apologizing for years of smearing our President over dozens of examples? By saying he's going to hold a press conference about it, then refusing to answer questions about his lies, or any questions? That's owning them?

He looked like an absolute idiot, sounded like a petulant child, and his supporters should feel like fools for believing him. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice. ..won't. ..won't get fooled again. Quoting GWB, who.looks like a giant compared to this clown.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
September 16th, 2016 at 5:25:50 PM permalink

If I could get down a bet to fade Trump winning *and* passing his latest tax plan, I'd put several tens of thousands on it: I'd have the middle! Did you hear -- he wants to make all corporate profits taxed at 15%, including S corps which are used by solo consultants like me as pass-throughs. Currently I'm an LLC, but all I'd have to do is restructure my business and my tax rate would basically get cut in half.

I *want* Hillary to win, but if Trump wins at least I'll be able to cheer myself up with tax savings. It'll cover the tickets to Australia. :)

Console yourself. He wouldn't get to implement a fraction of his policies... thank fsck. If he wins, the markets crash and you won't be able to buy that ticket.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 16th, 2016 at 5:30:21 PM permalink

What, by telling multiple lies? By not apologizing for years of smearing our President over dozens of examples? By saying he's going to hold a press conference about it, then refusing to answer questions about his lies, or any questions? That's owning them?

He looked like an absolute idiot, sounded like a petulant child, and his supporters should feel like fools for believing him. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice. ..won't. ..won't get fooled again. Quoting GWB, who.looks like a giant compared to this clown.

Hmm, seems to me he baited them by saying it would be about the birther thing and he got loads of free press and TV coverage of respected military officers praising him. Yeah, that is owning them. The press thought they would see him self-destruct and he had them hold his beer while he made out with their girlfriend.

Don't worry, he will find ways to own them again several more times. He will call them and they will come and cover him because when he is on people tune in.
ams288
ams288
September 16th, 2016 at 5:36:47 PM permalink

Wow. You really must have had your head in the sand today.

Today was an awful day for the Trump campaign.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 16th, 2016 at 6:00:17 PM permalink

Hmm, seems to me he baited them by saying it would be about the birther thing and he got loads of free press and TV coverage of respected military officers praising him. Yeah, that is owning them. The press thought they would see him self-destruct and he had them hold his beer while he made out with their girlfriend.

Don't worry, he will find ways to own them again several more times. He will call them and they will come and cover him because when he is on people tune in.

Really glad the vast majority of Americans are not the frat boy bully type who think this is acceptable bs from a Presidential candidate.
beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
September 16th, 2016 at 6:44:52 PM permalink

Really glad the vast majority of Americans are not the frat boy bully type who think this is acceptable bs from a Presidential candidate.

Oh same can be said for Hillary. You just can't see it through your government employee muddled eyes. She doesn't care about me and sure as heck(^edit)doesn't care for some ex government employee who moderates a gambling board. But go ahead and think that.
  • Jump to: