Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 3rd, 2010 at 8:50:03 AM permalink
This is something that I note every time I vist the states: what determines how many license plates (1 or 2) a vehicle has to show?

In Mexico all vehicles, except perhaps motorcycles, in all states must carry a front plate and a back plate. In the US I've seen cars mostly only carry a back plate, but not always. What gives?

Oh, tractor trailers are another exception. The tractor has two plates, front and back, though the back plate is hidden by the trailer. The trailer itself carries its own back plate only. Sometimes you see a tractor not pulling anything, then the back plate can be easily seen.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thegov2k2
thegov2k2
  • Threads: 2
June 3rd, 2010 at 8:53:50 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

This is something that I note every time I vist the states: what determines how many license plates (1 or 2) a vehicle has to show?

In Mexico all vehicles, except perhaps motorcycles, in all states must carry a front plate and a back plate. In the US I've seen cars mostly only carry a back plate, but not always. What gives?

Oh, tractor trailers are another exception. The tractor has two plates, front and back, though the back plate is hidden by the trailer. The trailer itself carries its own back plate only. Sometimes you see a tractor not pulling anything, then the back plate can be easily seen.

It's up to the individual state. Here in NJ, we require a front and back plate. In neighboring PA, only a back plate is required.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
June 3rd, 2010 at 9:36:16 AM permalink
I can confirm it is up to the individual states. These are the states that issue only one: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia.

The issue seems to come down to the police, who favor requiring two, and the budget hawks, who prefer to make just one.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 3rd, 2010 at 10:51:09 AM permalink
Well, naturally one plate per car is cheaper than two. But other than that is there a reason for having only one plate?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 3rd, 2010 at 11:02:51 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Well, naturally one plate per car is cheaper than two. But other than that is there a reason for having only one plate?

We read a case in grad school about Pontiac. They were a big proponent of back-plate-only legislation. I think the case was written in '92 or '93, and I read it in maybe '04. Requiring the front plate limited the options for what they could and could not do with the front bumper configuration. I think it had something to do with the plate needing to be a minimum distance above the ground, and Pontiac wanting the grill to be at that height. There was also concern that the front plate interfered with the aesthetics of the front of the vehicle, but that was a more minor concern as I recall.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
  • Threads: 31
June 3rd, 2010 at 11:52:13 AM permalink
Strangely, in Nevada you are given two plates, but putting the front plate on your car is only mandatory if your car has the pre-drilled holes (which most don't). So I always have an extra license plate laying around. Talk about wasteful.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
June 3rd, 2010 at 12:00:27 PM permalink
Ontario has two plates, probably required.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 3rd, 2010 at 4:22:51 PM permalink
I thought I read something a few weeks ago that said there is a UN Convention that requires plated on front and back, but the USA does not honor it. Looking for it now I cannot find where I saw it. Maybe someone else knows one way or the other?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: