UWPeteO
UWPeteO
  • Threads: 3
April 13th, 2011 at 9:01:25 AM permalink
Wizard (or any current/former actuaries),

I'm looking for your thoughts on the feasibility of making a change from civil engineering (BS, 2.5 years experience) to actuarial sciences. What's the best route to take if I end up going for it? Would diligent study and review be enough to pass the first exam and get my foot in the door somewhere? While my degree and experience aren't perfectly tailor-made for the field, I feel that the strong math and problem-solving emphasis, as well as my fondness of statistics should make for a good starting point.

Any advice on where to go from here and what to expect along the way would be thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
April 13th, 2011 at 10:37:22 AM permalink
I have concerns you're too far along the civil engineering road to turn around. A good first step would be to study for, and take, the first exam. Here is an article with advice on passing the exams.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
UWPeteO
UWPeteO
April 13th, 2011 at 11:10:44 AM permalink
I appreciate the quick response and information. I am surprised to hear that 2 and a half years out of college is nearing the "too late" time frame (and hoping that you misread it to be 25 years), but I'll look into the information provided and go from there.

Thanks again.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 13th, 2011 at 11:18:18 AM permalink
my fondness of statistics should make for a good starting point.

GO FOR IT !!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 13th, 2011 at 11:35:08 AM permalink
Quote: UWPeteO

I appreciate the quick response and information. I am surprised to hear that 2 and a half years out of college is nearing the "too late" time frame (and hoping that you misread it to be 25 years), but I'll look into the information provided and go from there.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. I meant that you shouldn't turn back from civil engineering after investing so much time into it.
UWPeteO
UWPeteO
April 13th, 2011 at 11:59:58 AM permalink
Definitely a good point. However I've begun to think it isn't something I'd like to spend my next 30+ years (or even the next 5) doing, and actuarial science is a career choice that has always been in the back of my mind. I imagine that I'll have a pretty good feel for whether or not I should be going this route as soon as I delve into a huge pile of review materials...

Appreciate the help; I'm sure I'll be back for more in the future.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
April 13th, 2011 at 12:05:07 PM permalink
I am a civil engineer, why would you want to change? Where are you based?
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
April 13th, 2011 at 12:09:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You're welcome. I meant that you shouldn't turn back from civil engineering after investing so much time into it.

As an engineering major who's doing something else (and never really wanted to go into engineering in the first place) I don't think it's that great a risk. The careers aren't too dissimilar, especially if your engineering experience is math/analysis based. Also, engineering employment can be very cyclical, and subject to long-term structural industry changes (think automotive engineers at GM). Actuary jobs seem far more stable, as people are always dying, getting into accidents, etc.
UWPeteO
UWPeteO
April 13th, 2011 at 12:17:06 PM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

I am a civil engineer, why would you want to change? Where are you based?

To put it simply I'd say it's a lack of passion for the field (and industry). I wouldn't go as far to say as I hate (or even really dislike) the work, but this is definitely not how I envisioned spending my life. And since I can keep my job while I pursue the change it seems like a safe bet to give it a shot.

I'm in the midwest.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
April 13th, 2011 at 12:24:03 PM permalink

To put it simply I'd say it's a lack of passion for the field (and industry). I wouldn't go as far to say as I hate (or even really dislike) the work, but this is definitely not how I envisioned spending my life. And since I can keep my job while I pursue the change it seems like a safe bet to give it a shot.

I'm in the midwest.

Yeah maybe. I have been a civil engineer for 10 years now, I have worked on some of the biggest value projects in the UK. I love the job, its well paid and comes natural to me. I love the fact that I can be inside or outside as I choose and no day is the same EVER. The only downside is the recession and the gaps between contracts. But I say stick with it a little longer, you might just start to change your mind after you get more experience.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 13th, 2011 at 2:36:18 PM permalink

Nobody ever feels called for actuarial work either. It is just a good job choice for those good at applied math. Crunching statistics is not exactly glamorous work either. It also doesn't help that 9 out of 10 Americans don't know what an actuary is.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 13th, 2011 at 5:44:08 PM permalink

Nobody ever feels called for actuarial work either. It is just a good job choice for those good at applied math. Crunching statistics is not exactly glamorous work either. It also doesn't help that 9 out of 10 Americans don't know what an actuary is.

If you don't mind, a question on that. When you were an actuary how did you do most of the calculations? Was there a "glorified excel" you used or did you need to know a fair amount of programming to do calculations?

Based on forecasting I have had to do in the past (not nearly that level, but bosses are the same in many places) after the initial formula is made people want to play "what if" for all kinds of things.

Not contemplating a career change, just curious.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
goofball
goofball
  • Threads: 0
April 15th, 2011 at 1:08:39 AM permalink
I changed careers to become an Actuary 6 years out of college. So far I like the day to day work, using excel and sql, answering what-if type questions, but in general I don't exactly feel passionate about it.
CammieGalle
CammieGalle
  • Threads: 2
October 10th, 2014 at 12:55:18 AM permalink
Hello,
Doing Engineering is the best career option as further you have many jobs in hand.
But if thinking for career change to actuarial job then need to work hard.

To know more visit
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 10th, 2014 at 1:23:51 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If you don't mind, a question on that. When you were an actuary how did you do most of the calculations? Was there a "glorified excel" you used or did you need to know a fair amount of programming to do calculations?

Based on forecasting I have had to do in the past (not nearly that level, but bosses are the same in many places) after the initial formula is made people want to play "what if" for all kinds of things.

Not contemplating a career change, just curious.

Sorry for the tardy reply. Actuaries run the gamut of heavy programming to doing everything with paper and pencil. Personally, I relied heavily on programming and spreadsheets.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 10th, 2014 at 4:35:38 AM permalink
earlier in the thread you said 9 out of 10 don't know what an actuary is. I would put that more like 9.6 out of 10 don't know what it is. I read what it is and still don't have a clue.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 10th, 2014 at 4:37:37 AM permalink

Sorry for the tardy reply. Actuaries run the gamut of heavy programming to doing everything with paper and pencil. Personally, I relied heavily on programming and spreadsheets.

Better late than never. Thanks, I have some kind of weird desire to know little details.

Quote: GWAE

earlier in the thread you said 9 out of 10 don't know what an actuary is. I would put that more like 9.6 out of 10 don't know what it is. I read what it is and still don't have a clue.

They tell you that you are eventually going to die. :-)
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
October 10th, 2014 at 5:59:15 AM permalink

They're the odds makers for bookies insurance salesmen.

My calc professor in college used to tout the fact (from some survey, I assume) that actuary was the #1 least stressful job in the country. Not sure if he was just passing along info or recruiting!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 10th, 2014 at 6:14:54 AM permalink
Are these the people that determine how much the insurance policy should be when I am offering 1 million for a chosen person to make a half court shot?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 10th, 2014 at 7:30:50 AM permalink
What does an actuary's wife do when she has insomnia? She rolls over and says, "Tell me again, darling. Just what is it you do for a living?"
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 10th, 2014 at 9:11:51 AM permalink

Basically, an actuary is somebody who counts dead people.
  • Jump to: