HKrandom
HKrandom
  • Threads: 18
March 15th, 2011 at 3:18:07 AM permalink
I went in a small city in China and since I had nothing in the afternoon I took a cab and asked him to bring me to a good bar. The place he brought me to was empty so I left after half an hour and they charged nearly 2000 RMB (USD300) for a few beers and snacks. I was really pissed off that night so I went online to 'get my money back' with baccarat and lost US$1000. I am really depressed now. That cab driver can be proud of himself and the commission he got...
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 15th, 2011 at 4:25:56 AM permalink
Asking cab drivers for advice on the best places has become more myth than reality. It's not a good idea in Vegas either with the kickbacks they get.

Maybe there's some things you can ask them about - as long as it's unusual enough that no one is paying them off for directing you there.

Sorry to hear about the non winning results.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 15th, 2011 at 4:41:51 AM permalink
Education is not free. You paid to learn this lesson. Look at it that way and laugh at yourself. A lonely guy is vulnerable, some predators out there are looking for just that, it could have been worse.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
March 15th, 2011 at 5:01:27 AM permalink
China is not a good place to be, let's be honest.
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
March 15th, 2011 at 5:01:28 AM permalink
HKrandom
HKrandom
March 15th, 2011 at 5:08:10 AM permalink
Quote: JIMMYFOCKER

The same kind of stuff happens everywhere, it just never happened to me before.
RobSinger
RobSinger
  • Threads: 5
March 15th, 2011 at 5:48:09 AM permalink
Quote: HKrandom

The same kind of stuff happens everywhere, it just never happened to me before.

I've had that same thing happen to me in several different countries before, including China. But all I had to do was put some customer names down and create an expense report out of it so the experience didn't bug me any longer than it should have. Life is a game, a constant game. You have to play it right and stay one step ahead. If you get behind then you have to figure out a way to make up for lost ground. I'm sure your mind would be much more at ease had you won the money back but you didn't. Now it's time to really get creative.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 15th, 2011 at 10:21:34 AM permalink
Did you pay for the drinks by American credit card? You can get a chargeback.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 15th, 2011 at 10:49:53 AM permalink
Amsterdam is the same way. Don't ask cab drivers for advice even if they implore you to. Especially if they implore you to.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 15th, 2011 at 10:52:44 AM permalink
Quote: RobSinger

I fiddled my expenses when ripped off abroad

There, fixed that for you.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
RobSinger
RobSinger
March 15th, 2011 at 11:43:39 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

There, fixed that for you.

Bingo! (We use the word "fudged").
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 15th, 2011 at 12:09:40 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Asking cab drivers for advice on the best places has become more myth than reality. It's not a good idea in Vegas either with the kickbacks they get.

Oh, it's a bad idea anywhere. Vegas might be worse because there are so many competing choices, most cabbies are sure to ahve a kickback deal somewhere. The other thing is many times they don't even know where things are. Way too many rookies out there with only a dim notion of the overall layout of the city. I've lost count how many cabbies have asked me how to get to where I'm going.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
HKrandom
HKrandom
March 15th, 2011 at 9:15:17 PM permalink
I paid cash and got no receipt. Very few places in China give receipts, let alone accept credit cards.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 16th, 2011 at 2:57:14 AM permalink
I have gotten into trouble in Mexico with whiskey and wine. You get an eye-popping bill sometimes as much as US$40 per shot. But beer is usually dirt cheap. The big mistake is always to order drinks without asking the price.

I feel bad for you.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 16th, 2011 at 3:22:55 AM permalink
Quote: RobSinger

Life is a game, a constant game. You have to play it right and stay one step ahead. If you get behind then you have to figure out a way to make up for lost ground.

Sounds like you were a Chinese cab driver, Jerry. More stories..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
RobSinger
RobSinger
March 16th, 2011 at 6:14:52 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sounds like you were a Chinese cab driver, Jerry. More stories..

You keep calling me Jerry. I take it you & he didn't get along based on the somewhat sour input you have as you scour the threads here for my posts just to respond with something stupid.

Then there's always the residual of those big winning training sessions that eat away at some....
  • Jump to: