xnikkixdikkix
xnikkixdikkix
  • Threads: 1
March 5th, 2011 at 9:27:45 PM permalink
My boyfriend, me, my brother ,and my friend dani were drinking one night and my boyfriend starts texting this chick named justine that he gives rides to and before we were dating he liked her. We get all wasted and chill out and end up passing out. I wake up to text messages on my boyfriends phone saying that he wanted justine to be safe and don't drive home, and that he loves her more then a friend. The girl justine said what about nicole(me) and he said i know it's bad isn't it. and she said well shit happens, and he said that he would have to talk to her in person about how much he likes her. He's given rides to justine behind my back before and promises he has never done anything with a chick before. We've been dating for about 2 years now and he's is very protective over me and never wants me to be around any guys, but he thinks it's okay to go with other chicks. Is that a sign of him cheating? what should i do?
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 5th, 2011 at 9:36:36 PM permalink
He likes her more than he likes you.

It doesn't matter if he has cheated already or not, because he likes her more than he likes you.

Do you want to be with someone who doesn't treat you the way you should be treated?

If yes, then keep doing what you've been doing. If no, then break up with him. I'm sure you can find a guy that will treat you well.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 5th, 2011 at 9:49:25 PM permalink
If there is one thing almost all these stories have in common it is the girl snooping on the guys cell phone. Do with that what you wish.

My 2¢ is that this guy is kind of a jerk. I'd tell him you want some time apart. You sound young and both of you should have experiences with different people to find what kind of person you want to spend the rest of your lives with. Personally I wouldn't want to spend it with somebody excessively jealous, but not playing by his own rules.

As I always say, listen to what your brain is telling you to do.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
March 5th, 2011 at 10:31:25 PM permalink
Yeah this guy is bad news. If he really cared about you he wouldn't be willing to risk anything with these behind your back rides and texts. Hopefully you aren't the type of girl who enjoys drama or this type of emotional abuse and you can exit the situation. He said he has never done anything with a chick before? I'm not sure how old you two are so it's hard to give advice.

I'm curious, what made you choose Thewizardofvegas forum for this topic? There are some smart people on here so it might have been a good move on your part.
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
March 5th, 2011 at 10:39:22 PM permalink
Dump him.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 6th, 2011 at 1:19:44 AM permalink
What is wrong with an open relationship? Perhaps he needs to date the both of you simultaneously in order to know he is making the correct choice.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 6th, 2011 at 3:27:45 AM permalink
>My boyfriend, me, my brother ,and my friend dani were drinking one night
I have a feeling its more than just one night.
>We get all wasted and chill out and end up passing out.
A novel experience for each of you, I'm sure!
>We've been dating for about 2 years now
Wow. It sure takes you a long time to wake up and face reality.
>he's is very protective over me
protective or restrictive and controlling?
>what should i do?
Probably just stay a drunken doormat.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 6th, 2011 at 5:36:27 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

If there is one thing almost all these stories have in common it is the girl snooping on the guys cell phone.

I noticed that too. It wouldnt surprise Billy Joel I don't think.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
March 6th, 2011 at 5:45:28 AM permalink
If you're under 44, best to stay single and play the field.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 6th, 2011 at 6:21:32 AM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

What is wrong with an open relationship? Perhaps he needs to date the both of you simultaneously in order to know he is making the correct choice.

Open relationships are fine, but she didn't have the same prerogative.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 6th, 2011 at 7:03:14 AM permalink

Now that's thinking outside the box!! (no pun intended)
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 6th, 2011 at 11:25:26 AM permalink

Open relationships are fine, but she didn't have the same prerogative.

I am a bit of an idealist.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
March 6th, 2011 at 3:29:53 PM permalink

If that's the way he wants to play it, then he needs to be man enough to tell her what he wants and live with the results. Or at least let her date around as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander!
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
March 31st, 2011 at 10:39:31 AM permalink

If there is one thing almost all these stories have in common it is the girl snooping on the guys cell phone. Do with that what you wish.

My 2¢ is that this guy is kind of a jerk. I'd tell him you want some time apart. You sound young and both of you should have experiences with different people to find what kind of person you want to spend the rest of your lives with. Personally I wouldn't want to spend it with somebody excessively jealous, but not playing by his own rules.

As I always say, listen to what your brain is telling you to do.

Us girls have to snoop when our guy is caught telling many lies. My current BF of 2 years was funny, handsome and fun to be with at first. Then all sorts of missed dates, excuses of why he was seen with other girls while I was at home by myself.

I did listen to what my brain said after I looked at his most recent calls in his cell phone.
It helped me to lay down the law on what I was expecting from our relationship and that was 9 months ago. Our communication skills with each other is now fantastic and I think I have a keeper, and so does my Mom.
I Heart Vi Hart
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
March 31st, 2011 at 11:09:49 AM permalink
Quote: mustangsally

Our communication skills with each other is now fantastic and I think I have a keeper, and so does my Mom.

Uh, I doubt it. Past behavior indicates future behavior. If he was cheating before he will again. If you checked his cell phone before, you will again.

If he didn't cheat but was just "around" women then the story may be different.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
March 31st, 2011 at 12:49:41 PM permalink

Our communication skills with each other is now fantastic

I guess he learned and got a second cell phone that he keeps hidden.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
March 31st, 2011 at 3:48:34 PM permalink
Quote: kp

I guess he learned and got a second cell phone that he keeps hidden.

My thoughts exactly. He didn't learn to change his values or priorities, he just learned to be less obvious.
He may have obtained a different phone or something but is he still leaving you home alone while he is out "working late"?
Maybe he decided to walk the straight and narrow, but most men decide that before they get caught the first time.
You may indeed have a keeper. Some other girl may have a keeper too though. Perhaps you will each meet some day.
Any unexplained absences around last Valentine's Day? Usually each girlfriend wants to spend time with him then... busiest day of the year for private detectives, I hear.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 1st, 2011 at 4:12:42 AM permalink
This all depends. When you are just dating, you expect to have some competition. Your relationship might advance to where you feel he should no longer play the field, but don't have him on board. There could be some element of dishonesty involved on his part at this stage that doesnt mean a lot. If in fact you now have him committed he might be flying right, with the prior period no indication he would continue to sneak around.

So I think you have to ask yourself if it was a case where his original transgressions were occurring in a period when he really would have felt he was cheating on a commitment, or if he just wasn't as far along as you were in spite of being lovers. Men are not the same as women at this 'Lovers' stage. If the "clearly cheating" condition was the case, I would agree with the others that he will be hard to tame and will likely slip back into his usual behavior.

Hmmm, are we all secretly wishing we could do an "advice to the lovelorn" column? I wouldnt have thought so in my case but I do feel compelled to add my 2 cents to these things.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 1st, 2011 at 4:42:09 AM permalink
Dump him. He's not into you. He's an asshole who wants to control you.

It's true that if a guy is willing to cheat once, unless some fundamental changes are made in your relationship (beyond talking more), he is willing to cheat again. Guys and girls don't change unless there's a very good reason to do so. Let him off the hook for this one, and all you are doing is setting the bar for the next time. Only the next time, the stakes are likely to be much higher: marriage, children, inlaws, and real estate. Dating is supposed to be a trial period. Cheating is not tolerable at all (unless you are into the open relationship thing) during the trial.

Say goodbye.

And as for snooping, part of the dating experience is to get all of the information possible on your lover to make a decision of whether you want to be with him long term. So snoop away. Yes, you may have trust issues that you yourself need to resolve, but that's better than a cheating issue.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
April 1st, 2011 at 6:42:43 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Dump him. He's not into you. He's an asshole who wants to control you.

It's true that if a guy is willing to cheat once, unless some fundamental changes are made in your relationship (beyond talking more), he is willing to cheat again. Guys and girls don't change unless there's a very good reason to do so. Let him off the hook for this one, and all you are doing is setting the bar for the next time. Only the next time, the stakes are likely to be much higher: marriage, children, inlaws, and real estate. Dating is supposed to be a trial period. Cheating is not tolerable at all (unless you are into the open relationship thing) during the trial.

Say goodbye.

And as for snooping, part of the dating experience is to get all of the information possible on your lover to make a decision of whether you want to be with him long term. So snoop away. Yes, you may have trust issues that you yourself need to resolve, but that's better than a cheating issue.

Yup, yup, yup, yup, and yup.

Someone once said, people won't change unless it hurts more to stay the same. If he's already cheating, then losing you doesn't hurt him that much. And the snooping just makes you seem weird.

Follow boymimbo's advice. Say goodbye.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
April 1st, 2011 at 7:22:33 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

people won't change unless it hurts more to stay the same.

Gold, Jerry! Pure gold!
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
April 1st, 2011 at 7:36:42 AM permalink
Marry him. Have children. He'll change. April fools!!

Dump him and get counseling on relationships.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 1st, 2011 at 8:38:34 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Dating is supposed to be a trial period. Cheating is not tolerable at all (unless you are into the open relationship thing) during the trial.

There is a progression to such things and often the various stages are not clearly defined or understood on a mutual basis. It may indeed have been a problem of communication and awareness. Either way, good luck to you.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 3rd, 2011 at 5:52:54 PM permalink

Us girls have to snoop when our guy is caught telling many lies. My current BF of 2 years was funny, handsome and fun to be with at first. Then all sorts of missed dates, excuses of why he was seen with other girls while I was at home by myself.

I did listen to what my brain said after I looked at his most recent calls in his cell phone.
It helped me to lay down the law on what I was expecting from our relationship and that was 9 months ago. Our communication skills with each other is now fantastic and I think I have a keeper, and so does my Mom.

You have to excuse us for being skeptical, but you said your boyfriend lies, so you used subterfuge to catch him at his lies and as a result he has reformed since you now had proof instead of simply rumors.

Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but most people would assume that he just learned to cover his trail better.

You may be too young to remember the scene in Heartburn (written by Nora Ephron, starring Jack Nicholson, and Meryl Streep). When she confronts him about his philandering her dialogue is:

- I know everything. It's all here.
You didn't even hide the evidence.
You just threw it in a drawer.
- Hotels. Motels.
You couldn't even pay cash, like a normal philanderer.
You charged everything.
  • Jump to: