MikeK
MikeK
  • Threads: 2
July 16th, 2020 at 7:17:48 AM permalink
I've played the BJ game on this site and had a 17 with 3 cards an (8, 5 & 4 card, I believe) against a dealers (10 value up card) and the advice was to hit. Can you clarify when to hit on a 17+ hands? Thanks
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 16th, 2020 at 7:46:49 AM permalink
Learn Basic Strategy completely, not just what to do when you have '17'

btw the advice you got sounds bad, you never hit when you have hard 17 [perhaps there is an exception if you count cards].

You were playing the Wizard's game and got the pop-up advice? Methinks it was soft 17 against, say, 6, not hard 17

[edited after rereading your post]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
MikeK
MikeK
July 16th, 2020 at 8:12:45 AM permalink
Thanks for the reply. I do practice Basic Strategy that's why I was perplexed on this hand. Wizards game v.1 It was my (3) cards totaling 17. ( non 10 value or A cards in the mix ) so (2-9 totaling 17) and the Dealer had a Q. Went to stand and the advice pop up said Hit. Was it card counting in the background or a 17 (3 card rule)?
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
July 16th, 2020 at 8:40:19 AM permalink
If you are card counting there probably is a point in which hitting your hard 17 vs dealer 10 is the slightly advantageous play. But it would be such an extremely negative count that anyone card counting shouldn't be playing that round anyway. There is no advantage to learning such extreme infrequent index plays.

Now there are less extreme situations that you should surrender your 17 vs dealer 10, but I don't even know what that is either. Now spanish 21, the hit point might be less extreme and infrequent.

But, I am pretty sure Wizards strategy wouldn't be telling you to hit 17 vs 10 in any regular blackjack game.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 16th, 2020 at 8:55:44 AM permalink
I might try it with a minimum bet out, if the pit guy was hovering over the table, in an attempt to convince him I was clueless, but that's the only circumstance I can think of. Unless I know the dealers down card, of course.
I'd imagine the OP misunderstood, or there is a glitch in the software as the advice is wrong.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MikeK
MikeK
July 16th, 2020 at 9:27:58 AM permalink
I agree. I have a feeling I was not paying attention and it was a 3 card soft 17. Looking back at it now, the card count does not display 7/17 just 17. Maybe I had like a 2, A, 4. If that was the case, shame on me for being lazy. lol. Thanks Kewlj and billryan
  • Jump to: