Poll

12 votes (48%)
13 votes (52%)

25 members have voted

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
April 3rd, 2012 at 4:12:14 PM permalink
I can't decide if I hope there is a God or not.

On the one hand, if there is a god, there is a chance there is an afterlife, which means there's a chance there is heaven.

On the other hand, if there is a god, there's a chance there is a hell, which means that in order for me to get to heaven, I'd probably need to pick the right religion, or have a God that doesn't care about religion, and only cares about doing good things and being a good person.

So I'm not asking whether you think God exists, I'm asking what you're rooting for.

I guess I'm leaning toward hoping he exists, because why would God want a bunch of people in hell, right?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
April 3rd, 2012 at 4:54:38 PM permalink
If there is a god, nothing here makes any
sense. The thought of it is frightening. It
would mean the universe is ruled by whimsy
and emotion, which it obviously isn't. The god
in the OT is scary, he's emotional and not
dependable..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:00:21 PM permalink
The question is absurd.
"What, me worry?"
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:02:19 PM permalink
What if God was unaware that we existed?

Suppose that an entity, which as a consequence of some action that He performed, caused us to come into being. Now supposed that our existence was a mere side effect of that action and He was actually more interested in a much larger result of that action thus not even being aware of our existence because we're far smaller than anything He can detect.

Would that entity be God?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:04:39 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Would that entity be God?

No! He can only be god if he obsesses over every bad
thought you've ever had and stays up nights worrying
about you. Like your mommy did when you were five.
khoyle2001
khoyle2001
  • Threads: 3
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:09:16 PM permalink
I think there is a god! Also, a vast majority of the world believes in a ultimate being, a deity of some sort.
So lets look at this why. If there is a God (to my thinking there is) and you do wrong to others you will be sent to not so nice of place as if you do right by others. If you do right by others (which I know you have had to do sometime in your life and had the "good feeling" that comes with helping others) and God sees this he will send you to a very nice place!

Now lets say that there is no God. (I even hate to type those words.) What would it hurt to do right by others? Help them along in their life! It will help them and it will make you feel good!

Now I am not saying that I believe in the whole "burning bush" thing. Or that all the things in the Bible are true. (This could be another thread all by itself) I am not saying that the whole Jesus thing is all true. (Another thread) But you asked if there is a GOD!

So to my thinking "YES there is a GOD!"
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:19:57 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The question is absurd.

How so? I'm just guessing what you'd be rooting for if you were rooting.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:30:24 PM permalink
I'll give you three guesses ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:43:03 PM permalink
Some people who've lead an empty or evil life turn to a belief in God as they near the end and renounce their long standing and more logical, if unprovable, beliefs.

I've more respect for those who have the courage to maintain their convictions irrespective of fears or comforts. Those who do not weaken.

Its similar to political convictions. IRA lads sent over here due to the "heat" in Northern Ireland had more money and more sex and far more opportunities available to them here than if they returned to Ireland's then bleak economy and strictly enforced ban on condoms. If they returned to carry on the struggle, I had greater respect for them than if they accepted an "out" of comforts.

Its the same way with life long realists, as they approach death I admire those who stick with their convictions and do not turn suddenly to religion or heaven or thoughts that were alien to them most of their lives.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:47:46 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

bleak economy and strictly enforced ban on condoms..

How do you enforce a ban on condoms? Do they
break into your bedroom when you're having sex?

• Jump to: