Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
November 27th, 2011 at 9:26:53 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

There is so much more to this world than what we see or know.

Really?

Name three things.
"What, me worry?"
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 27th, 2011 at 9:57:41 PM permalink
Faith, Hope, and Love.

And the greatest of these is love.
MrV
MrV
November 27th, 2011 at 11:07:37 PM permalink

Faith, Hope, and Love.

And the greatest of these is love.

So sad to be such as you have openly admitted, priest: never to have seen or known faith, or hope, or love.

I've never spent time in a seminary like you have, so I have no special training or sensitivity in these areas, but I and pretty much everyone I know has, at one time or another, experienced all three of these.

I would agree: love is the most powerful.

And yet ... you have never seen or known them. ("There is so much more to this world than what we see or know.")

As a priest, YOUR love can never be physical, and must remain unrequited and cerebral.

That must really be a bummer, to knowingly deny yourself the ultimate satisfaction in life, all in service of ... a superstition.
"What, me worry?"
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 28th, 2011 at 12:08:26 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

So sad to be such as you have openly admitted, priest: never to have seen or known faith, or hope, or love.

I've never spent time in a seminary like you have, so I have no special training or sensitivity in these areas, but I and pretty much everyone I know has, at one time or another, experienced all three of these.

I would agree: love is the most powerful.

And yet ... you have never seen or known them. ("There is so much more to this world than what we see or know.")

As a priest, YOUR love can never be physical, and must remain unrequited and cerebral.

That must really be a bummer, to knowingly deny yourself the ultimate satisfaction in life, all in service of ... a superstition.

Have you ever seen wind?
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 28th, 2011 at 12:10:21 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Just as there is no positive expectation in craps, so is there no God in this world.

We're it, baby.

Works for me.

Yes there is a God.

There is so much more to this world than what we see or know.

Works for me at least.

This is degenerate quibbling over the worst red herring in the world. There is God, and I can prove it; There isn't God, and I can prove it. C'mon, guys!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
November 28th, 2011 at 12:56:14 AM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

Have you ever seen wind?

I've passed wind. There's a lot of that going on
in this thread. I get all my religion from reruns
of 'My Name is Earl'. As good a place as any..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
November 28th, 2011 at 3:00:47 AM permalink
Seems like the God-bashers want to explode the concept of God that is so extremely anthropomorphic, with white beard and all that. I would think very few of us here in this forum cling to such a thing. So it's 'creating a straw man' then ripping him to pieces.

I pretty much agree this is a useless thread.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
MrV
MrV
November 28th, 2011 at 7:38:49 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I pretty much agree this is a useless thread.

That didn't stop you from responding now, did it?

I started it as a "There is no God" thought piece, as it is what I believe ... or should I say, it is what I do NOT believe.

"Red herring?"

What item of significance might I be attempting to divert attention from?

No, like it or not, whether we believe in god or not IS a fundamental question: better we focus our efforts in making this world a better place, instead of blowing it off in hopes of a mulligan in "the hereafter."
"What, me worry?"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 28th, 2011 at 8:20:20 AM permalink
Believing in God or not has nothing to do with "better we focus our efforts in making this world a better place, instead of blowing it off in hopes of a mulligan in "the hereafter.""

You can be a Christian (or any other religion for that matter) and do much for the world today and not blow it on the "hereafter".

Believing in God is a matter of faith and faith alone. If there was physical evidence for a God, everyone would be forced to believe in one. If there was physical evidence for God, and heaven existed, scientists would be proposing methods and string theories and whatever that would be a mechanism for getting one from here to the hereafter. And then God would cease to exist, because it's been explained.

God is the impossible. If God was found to exist, then it wouldn't be God now, would it? Its workings and mechanisms would just become part of our physical universe, and we would call heaven the defined area (we would probably name a dimension "heavenspace") that we go when we die, and we would find some theory that gets us there using some new branch of Physics (godmology). Billions of dollars in research grants would be granted to find the path. We would be attempting to find ways to reverse transit from heavenspace back to our dimensions, and so on and so forth.

God is mystical. Accept that. You can either have God in your heart, or not. I choose in, despite that fact that there might not be God.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
ikilledjerrylogan
ikilledjerrylogan
  • Threads: 2
November 28th, 2011 at 8:26:48 AM permalink
MrV, repeatedly telling yourself and others "there is no God" won't make the guilt go away. I say this because your hostile behavior in these religious/anti-religious threads appear to be a cry for help.
- Dr Phil

• Jump to: