Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
February 16th, 2014 at 8:28:16 PM permalink
Ray Rice arrested in Revel after altercation with fiancé

Reports are that he uppercut her and knocked her out cold after she spit on him. Good times.
A falling knife has no handle.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 16th, 2014 at 8:29:47 PM permalink
He was released on his own recognizance due to the fact that he's no longer a threat to run.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
February 16th, 2014 at 8:32:42 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

He was released on his own recognizance due to the fact that he's no longer a threat to run.

That is the first comment on that story
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 16th, 2014 at 8:39:47 PM permalink
And a damn fine one, I must say.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 16th, 2014 at 8:43:26 PM permalink
Footballers especially seem to have an impulse control problem. Is it because of the violent nature of the sport they play or is it because of the fact that they are paid gross amounts of money with a heck of a lot of free time on their hands?

I'm new to the American cultures and sports so I would like an honest answer if anybody can muster it? :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 16th, 2014 at 8:46:18 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
February 16th, 2014 at 9:00:34 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Too bad they aren't married. Aceofspades could do the divorce at the blackjack table.

there would certainly be the free space for it
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 16th, 2014 at 9:00:47 PM permalink
Doesn't sound like she was knocked out at all.
No ambulance transport, not likely someone who was 'out cold' would be booked a short time later.

Exaggerated reporting of a rather simple spat.

Impulse control? Perhaps. Remember they are not trained to be restrained. They often have a history of androgenous drug use even if its not recent. And often their academic performance is a joke with watered down courses. It takes time to be a sports figure and everyone wants a piece of their time and money.

Its the same thing with rape in the military: the military selects for the big, strong and aggressive ... and then has to tell them "don't rape".
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 16th, 2014 at 9:05:06 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Its the same thing with rape in the military: the military selects for the big, strong and aggressive ... and then has to tell them "don't rape".

I agree with everything you said except for the part I highlighted above.

Not sure what your size and temprament has to do with committing a crime?

I am big, strong and VERY aggressive and I would NEVER, EVER even consider raping a woman (or a man in case anybody thought I was taking sides :) )

I wonder if we could ask a guy like Face (who, from his posts I assume is big, strong and seems aggressive because he likes to play hockey) if he would ever rape a woman?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 16th, 2014 at 9:31:09 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Doesn't sound like she was knocked out at all.
No ambulance transport, not likely someone who was 'out cold' would be booked a short time later.

Exaggerated reporting of a rather simple spat.

Impulse control? Perhaps. Remember they are not trained to be restrained. They often have a history of androgenous drug use even if its not recent. And often their academic performance is a joke with watered down courses. It takes time to be a sports figure and everyone wants a piece of their time and money.

The thing about American football is there's an enormous culling process that, at each level, chooses for size, fierceness, aggression, and drive. The vast majority of men are pushed into playing at least one season as a kid or adolescent, then when the hormones kick in, there's a preference for the biggest and baddest. Those kids are taught to hit hard and often, to be on a hair trigger 80-100 times a game, and they pad everybody up so people don't (usually) get badly hurt when they're hit or hitting. A lot of them take performance enhancing drugs, most of which have the side effect of inducing anger or aggression, they're constantly urged to be aggressive, and as they rise from high school to college to the pros (the culling) the successful ones are treated like gods; women fall all over them, boosters ensure they have every comfort they could ask for, if they get into any difficulties along the way the rules get bent or ignored in order to keep them playing, and their salaries in the NFL are huge unless they're franchise players, in which case they're insanely well paid. It's also unique among our major sports in that most players don't have to think for themselves; they're told what to do minute by minute all through the game by the coaches and/or the quarterback, so they don't have to be very bright in most cases (though some of them are); they just have to be big and aggressive.

So, you add all that up and the wonder is they're not in the news for murder and mayhem every week. But I guess that's what their agents are for.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 16th, 2014 at 9:44:05 PM permalink
Lets just say it's understandable but not inexcusable. The conditioning is very similar to brain washing almost like being in a cult.
I am a robot.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
February 16th, 2014 at 9:44:31 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The thing about American football is there's an enormous culling process that, at each level, chooses for size, fierceness, aggression, and drive. The vast majority of men are pushed into playing at least one season as a kid or adolescent, then when the hormones kick in, there's a preference for the biggest and baddest. Those kids are taught to hit hard and often, to be on a hair trigger 80-100 times a game, and they pad everybody up so people don't (usually) get badly hurt when they're hit or hitting. A lot of them take performance enhancing drugs, most of which have the side effect of inducing anger or aggression, they're constantly urged to be aggressive, and as they rise from high school to college to the pros (the culling) the successful ones are treated like gods; women fall all over them, boosters ensure they have every comfort they could ask for, if they get into any difficulties along the way the rules get bent or ignored in order to keep them playing, and their salaries in the NFL are huge unless they're franchise players, in which case they're insanely well paid. It's also unique among our major sports in that most players don't have to think for themselves; they're told what to do minute by minute all through the game by the coaches and/or the quarterback, so they don't have to be very bright in most cases (though some of them are); they just have to be big and aggressive.

So, you add all that up and the wonder is they're not in the news for murder and mayhem every week. But I guess that's what their agents are for.

That's a very good analysis
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
February 19th, 2014 at 1:18:11 PM permalink
TMZ has video of Rice dragging an unconscious woman out of a Revel elevator... this video is insane

http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/19/ray-rice-unconscious-fiancee-atlantic-city-video-arrest/
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
February 25th, 2014 at 5:56:43 AM permalink
OK so I live in Baltimore and as you might imagine this Ray Rice story is pretty much all over the place. I'd say there is a 50/50 split between those who say...release the bum (from the team) now. Vs. Hey wait we don't know all the facts yet...yes the elevator video is ugly...but all you see is a passed out girl. She looks drunk to me, there is no video (as of yet) that shows him hitting her.

Now according to the police report, they arrested both parties, and charged them with simple assault, then released them both pending a court date. They reportedly drove home together the next morning. The report also states that RR hit his fiancee rendering her unconscious. Also the AC police were called by Revel security. So if security felt they couldn't handle it... obviously it was getting out of hand. So jury is still out. Official word from the Ravens is "wait and see". Unofficially I hear they are looking for ways to void his contract and that this is not going to come out well for him.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
February 25th, 2014 at 10:22:41 AM permalink
Rice was my first round draft pick in fantasy football this year (I lost in the Super Bowl, not bad for whiffing on my 1st pick). Needless to say that was a disappointment. Bernard Pierce certainly isn't the answer however. There are some good looking RBs in the draft and at 1.17, BAL could get one there should they choose to part ways with Rice.
SFB
SFB
  • Threads: 2
February 25th, 2014 at 10:46:21 AM permalink
I love the line: "Released... because not a threat to run..." Great line.

Also, I didn't know anyone was actually staying at the Revel?

SFB
  • Jump to: