100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
July 24th, 2013 at 1:53:10 PM permalink
i opened a bovada acct.

to deposit, i have to call. they want the last digits of my social security #.
but when i created the acct, i didnt enter any of my SS info.

i'm on hold w/them. the csr said their verification dept verifies my identity but doesnt know how with just the last 4 digits of ss #.

anyone have more info about this?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 24th, 2013 at 2:19:12 PM permalink
No real idea unfortunately. I am trying to remember all the other companies that asked me for that at some point. When those companies asked for the last four, I'm guessing most (all?) had my SSN on record.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 24th, 2013 at 3:10:06 PM permalink
The last four are unique to you. Many others have the same first five as you, so they identify you if they get the last four. If they have access to the right data.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 24th, 2013 at 3:16:32 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 24th, 2013 at 6:11:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The last four are unique to you. Many others have the same first five as you, so they identify you if they get the last four. If they have access to the right data.

Was this a joke? If so I missed that aspect of the post.

If not, then: The last four digits are only "unique to you" if you have restricted the sample to those people who have the same first five digits that you do. Otherwise, roughly one person out of every random 10,000 will have the exact same last four digits for their SSN as you do.

I know that Bob understands that, but I just can't figure out what he meant by his post.
tringlomane
tringlomane
July 24th, 2013 at 6:19:53 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I know that Bob understands that, but I just can't figure out what he meant by his post.

I think he didn't write what he meant. I get what he was getting at though, and until very recently, the first 3 digits would help indicate geographic point of issuance.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
July 24th, 2013 at 6:19:54 PM permalink

Was this a joke? If so I missed that aspect of the post.

If not, then: The last four digits are only "unique to you" if you have restricted the sample to those people who have the same first five digits that you do. Otherwise, roughly one person out of every random 10,000 will have the exact same last four digits for their SSN as you do.

I'm sure he means that it is less easy to guess. For instance, my brother, sister, and I all share the same first 5 numbers, so I could easily pretend to be my brother if they ask for the first 5.

Of course, now, they issue SSNs randomly instead of issuing certain batches to specific states.
I heart Crystal Math.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
July 24th, 2013 at 6:23:27 PM permalink
deleted
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1494
July 25th, 2013 at 7:13:04 AM permalink
I haven't asked them about this, but I think you could tell them any four numbers. It is something they will ask you for if you forget your password, to verify it is really you.

Whenever I'm asked for my mother's maiden name I never give the real one, because it is nearly impossible to spell, and have never had trouble using the alternative I made up.

Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I read somewhere long ago that the first three digits had to do with what county you were born in.

They are correlated to the general area you were born, but I don't think they reveal the exact county.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 25th, 2013 at 7:17:07 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I
They are correlated to the general area you were born, but I don't think they reveal the exact county.

Unless the next 2 numbers also encode this info, I think it's impossible for the first 3 digits to give county-level specificity - there are too many counties.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 25th, 2013 at 7:35:15 AM permalink
There are several ways to encode specific information in numbers. I dealt with this kind of thing once, years ago, while setting up bar code numbers for a product line. As I recall, the first three digits indicate the country. Of the other 10 numbers or so (I don't recall if they were 13 total or more), some depends on how many products you want in a line.

Say you'll want 10,000, then five digits at the end will be reserved for this. 4 to acommodate 10,000 items (0000 to 9,999) and one at the end as a verifying digit. The remaining five will identify your company. So you could get a number like: 750 12345 xxxxx The first two groups identify a country and a company. The last group a product made by that company in that country (or at least registered or based in that country, and made counting as the final assembly area only).

BTW, for a small clothing manufacturer 10,000 products are a few tens of thousands too few. After all, a single dress made in, say, three colors and eight sizes, alone uses up 24 unique numbers. For pricing a single number would do, but for inventory control you need all 24. Back then one seasonal line typically averaged 4 colors and eight sizes per item, and there were 30 items or so per line. So 4 x 8 x 30 = 960. That's just for Spring/Summer. Later in the year you'll have a like amount for Fall/Winter. So 4 x 8 x 30 x 2 = 1,920. That's just for one year. You'd run out of ten thousand in less than a decade.

I don't even wnat to think how many numbers a large company like Levi's uses up. Likely they have a unique number for every line. Say one for shirts, one for jeans, one for dress slacks, etc. Of course they repeat styles year after year, too,a dn that helps, but they also add new styles, and discontinue some odl ones, every year as well.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
tringlomane
tringlomane
July 25th, 2013 at 8:20:30 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Unless the next 2 numbers also encode this info, I think it's impossible for the first 3 digits to give county-level specificity - there are too many counties.

From the early 70s until 2011, the first three digits is based on the ZIP code you claimed your mailing address; multiple ZIP codes are covered per group. The next two digits cover the date of issuance.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
July 25th, 2013 at 8:40:38 AM permalink
deleted
ALFERALFER
ALFERALFER
  • Threads: 1
July 25th, 2013 at 10:02:32 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

These prefixes indicate the state in which the Social Security Number was issued.

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER PREFIXES
Doc
Doc
July 25th, 2013 at 1:00:37 PM permalink
Quote: ALFERALFER

These prefixes indicate the state in which the Social Security Number was issued.

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER PREFIXES

A slightly interesting side story: Your link also translates the first two digits of US Army draftee service numbers through 1969. It correctly shows that my number starting with 53 was issued in South Carolina.

While we were in basic training, we learned of a special code for numbers beginning with 67 -- that indicated a draftee who had scored very, very low on pre-induction mental tests but was drafted anyway. The low score suggested that either the person was extremely stupid or he had deliberately tried to look like an imbicile to avoid the draft, in which case he was likely to be a trouble maker. The 67 was intented to be a red warning flag that would stick with the problem draftee throughout his time in service.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
July 26th, 2013 at 3:28:04 AM permalink

Quote: ALFERALFER

A slightly interesting side story: Your link also translates the first two digits of US Army draftee service numbers through 1969. It correctly shows that my number starting with 53 was issued in South Carolina.

That is interesting. It incorrectly lists the state associated with my first two digits, what's up with that? Also, had never heard the '67' story
ALFERALFER
ALFERALFER
  • Threads: 1
July 26th, 2013 at 8:15:07 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

That is interesting. It incorrectly lists the state associated with my first two digits, what's up with that? Also, had never heard the '67' story

It seems you have have created your own puzzle to solve.

The list seems to be correct.

So your puzzle is to find out why your parents got you a SSN from a different state then you were born in.
Doc
Doc
July 26th, 2013 at 8:36:58 AM permalink
First, it appears that both ALFERALFER and Chickenman have had some formatting difficulties so it looks as if they are attributing quotes to the wrong people. Second, I'm guessing that Chickenman was saying that the link mistranslated the digits of his service number, not his social security number. Since I don't know what the error was, I can only speculate that maybe his draft board, induction station, and basic training location were not in the same state, possibly leading to a discrepancy.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
July 26th, 2013 at 1:22:03 PM permalink

First, it appears that both ALFERALFER and Chickenman have had some formatting difficulties so it looks as if they are attributing quotes to the wrong people. Second, I'm guessing that Chickenman was saying that the link mistranslated the digits of his service number, not his social security number. Since I don't know what the error was, I can only speculate that maybe his draft board, induction station, and basic training location were not in the same state, possibly leading to a discrepancy.

Nah, I am a master formatter; also a masterbat.. eh, nevermind...:-)
Must have fat-fingered the quote, but certainly need a new prescription for the bifoculs.
Yes, the link says my first two are from states that I am not [from] and/or provide a first two that is wrong for the actual state
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
July 26th, 2013 at 1:57:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

As a sidelight, huge international personal databases like Lexis and Nexis provide the first five digits, rendering all the palaver about privacy and confidentiality utterly ridiculous.
  • Jump to: