MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 316
April 9th, 2012 at 4:45:11 PM permalink
A woman just jumped off the Hoover Dam bypass bridge.

Might this bridge become a magnet for suicidal-depressives, much like the Golden Gate ?
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
April 9th, 2012 at 5:27:37 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Might this bridge become a magnet for suicidal-depressives, much like the Golden Gate ?

Wonder if this was the first?

If you want to both be sure you go and do it in a spectacular fashion it is one of the best places west of the Mississippi.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 316
April 9th, 2012 at 6:00:51 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Wonder if this was the first?

It is reported as being the first.
"What, me worry?"
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
April 9th, 2012 at 7:02:41 PM permalink
It's a long way down. I took these pictures about a year apart. You can see how much improvement there is in the water level:

And a year or so later:

Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
April 9th, 2012 at 8:04:20 PM permalink
From pages 12, 13, and 14 from the Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge thread on 11/5/2010:

Quote: Wizard

I didn't want to write this in the article, but think if you're going to commit suicide by jumping, this bridge would be a very convenient choice.

Quote: JerryLogan

That comment's just absolutely BEGGING for an essay from mkl! When I saw your pictures I sent a comment to my wife because we're going over it tomorrow and again Sunday. What I said was "no jumpers yet, but there WILL be". What's the line on that one?

Quote: Wizard

I'll bet on almost anything, but that is too morbid to wager one. However, just for the sake of argument, I set the line at the first jump as before/after 1/1/11.

Guess we should have bet the after.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1374
April 9th, 2012 at 8:40:49 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Guess we should have bet the after.

In retrospect it was not a very good line, as it look 15 months past that date. This is in terrible taste, but it would ironic if someone left as a note a losing ticket to a "bridge jumper" bet, like the no safety in the Super Bowl.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 9th, 2012 at 8:46:33 PM permalink
At Pimlico racetrack in the late 50's or early sixties, when taxes had to be filed on March 15, a bettor at the track lost on a horse named Tax Refund and blew his brains out at the finish line.

On a happier note a horse name Last day won on the last day of Racing at Bowie, Pimlico, and Laurel racetracks all in one year.
And paid boxcar figures each time.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 9th, 2012 at 8:50:37 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Probably not. Most of the primary suicide bridges in the USA are near populated areas, and it is possible to go out for a walk and cross the bridge. The argument for suicide prevention barriers is that some people do it without any planning.

Since the Nevada bridge mostly involves driving or taking a bus, it falls under the category of planned suicides. Planned suicides can be done by a variety of means.

Suicide kills more people than murders and wars combined.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 429
April 9th, 2012 at 9:07:59 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Suicide kills more people than murders and wars combined.

The actor George Sanders committed suicide when
he was 65 by swallowing 5 bottles of sleeping pills.
His suicide note read:

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel
I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your
worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

He had told David Niven when he was 37 that he was
going to kill himself when he was 65. Gotta love a man
with a plan.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 9th, 2012 at 9:09:46 PM permalink
In 2010 more members of the US military committed suicide than were killed in action . SAD

• Jump to: