8 votes (20.51%)

39 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
September 30th, 2011 at 2:09:54 PM permalink
Quote: Woldus

The cab driver [sight unseen] is probably younger, but out of shape from sitting in a car all day...

I probably would have got my ass kicked. However, my brother in law got into the fray as well, on my side of course, and the driver backed down. This particular driver was about my age, but was about 30 pounds heavier. Not that I'm a big expert in this, but it is my opinion that weight plays a huge roll in a fist fight. All the heavier fighter has to do is grab onto the lighter fighter, pin him to the ground, and then start throwing punches.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 30th, 2011 at 4:21:05 PM permalink
DOT allows overbooking, and they've established the penalties for involuntary bumps, and just recently doubled it to something I think is signficant.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nutrisweetguy10
Nutrisweetguy10
  • Threads: 2
September 30th, 2011 at 7:28:11 PM permalink
I was in Vegas in July and actually was waiting for Hawaiian to call for volunteers. Had I gotten bumped, I would have been able to stay one more night while my wife was on business there. Had the room, was up about 500 for the trip, and get a voucher. Sound like a win win if they needed to bump someone. The flight was full. No empty seats. I believe they filled the plane with employee standbys. Oh well. Was a good trip.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
December 3rd, 2013 at 10:43:01 AM permalink
Dozens of commuters missed connections Sunday night when Delta Airlines kicked them off their Gainesville-to-Atlanta flight to accommodate the University of Florida men's hoops team en route to Monday's game in Connecticut. Passengers were told there was a "mechanical difficulty," but some of them noticed the Gators basketball team boarding the plane meant for them out the window.

In other news, the Gators lost to Connecticut, 65 to 64.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 3rd, 2013 at 11:54:24 AM permalink
I was in Jacksonville once driving home to Tampa.
The Florida Gators just played a football game in Atlanta and the whole team had a convoy of several busses.
Saw the convoy near Jacksonville, they were going my way, and got right behind them to Gainesville.
Great ride, police were at every intersection ahead of the convoy blocking traffic and waving the convoy through every intersection.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 3rd, 2013 at 12:35:30 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Not that I'm a big expert in this, but it is my opinion that weight plays a huge roll in a fist fight. .

Of course it does. When I was taking karate courses
40 years ago, the first thing they do is separate you
according to size. It's ludicrous in the movies when
some 5' 2" Asian woman is beating a 6' tall white
guy in a martial arts scene. He would demolish her
no matter what her skill set, if he had any training
at all.

The point of martial arts is self defense, hurt somebody
enough so you can run away. Not stay they there and
fight to the death, that's silly.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 3rd, 2013 at 12:43:24 PM permalink
Do you still have your nunchucks, Bob?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
reno
reno
December 4th, 2013 at 8:45:34 AM permalink
Yesterday, the US Supreme Court heard arguments in case where Northwest Airlines (now Delta) confiscated hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles from a rabbi. This blogger sums up the airline's perspective: "Northwest claimed it was because Ginsberg abused the terms of its frequent flyer program by complaining too much and intentionally booking himself on full flights in the hopes of being bumped."

That's a flimsy argument, Northwest. The airline offers tickets for sale and then the airline is upset that a customer buys them? That's insane. If Northwest were accusing the rabbi of hacking into the airlines reservation computers, I'd agree that the rabbi committed fraud. But that's not what happened. These transacations were not mistakes or errors; it is the airline's official policy to sell tickets on flights with no available seats.

It is the airline's responsibility to allocate inventory, and blaming a passenger for the airline's own crappy inventory system is, as they'd say in yiddish, chutzpah.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 4th, 2013 at 9:08:14 AM permalink
Quote: reno

Yesterday, the US Supreme Court heard arguments in case where Northwest Airlines (now Delta) confiscated hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles from a rabbi. This blogger sums up the airline's perspective: "Northwest claimed it was because Ginsberg abused the terms of its frequent flyer program by complaining too much and intentionally booking himself on full flights in the hopes of being bumped."

That's a flimsy argument, Northwest. The airline offers tickets for sale and then the airline is upset that a customer buys them? That's insane. If Northwest were accusing the rabbi of hacking into the airlines reservation computers, I'd agree that the rabbi committed fraud. But that's not what happened. These transacations were not mistakes or errors; it is the airline's official policy to sell tickets on flights with no available seats.

It is the airline's responsibility to allocate inventory, and blaming a passenger for the airline's own crappy inventory system is, as they'd say in yiddish, chutzpah.

Way for Rabbi Ginsberg to dispel Jewish stereotypes. LOL ... love it!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 4th, 2013 at 9:11:37 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Way for Rabbi Ginsberg to dispel Jewish stereotypes. LOL ... love it!

Listened to that story on public radio on the way to the airport yesterday. The host could hardly keep it together:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 4th, 2013 at 9:38:19 AM permalink
Most everybody loves to beat up on the airlines. JC, roundtrip coast to coast for a few hundred bucks....that's damn near free. Incredibly safe way to travel. It's a complex business. Historically airlines have lost tons of money. I swear half the people on any given plane are flying for free. Flyers are gaming the system.
Each day is better than the next
reno
reno
December 4th, 2013 at 10:59:41 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Flyers are gaming the system.

Nope. The airlines write the crazy rules, not the passengers.

A couple months ago, I flew to San Diego and rented a car. The airline, Virgin America, awarded me more frequent flier miles for my car rental than for my flight. That's insane.

But I'm not "gaming the system" by renting a car. So don't blame me for Virgin's crazy rules.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 4th, 2013 at 11:04:14 AM permalink
I don't think I was gaming the system, but I just flew from Las Vegas to San Diego roundtrip for $23. That's $11.50 each way. I love these airlines trying to compete with each other.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 4th, 2013 at 11:10:37 AM permalink
If you would have complained, about anything, you probably could have earned a voucher for next trip. Congrats on the 23 dollar ticket. I would have tipped the pilot.
Each day is better than the next
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
December 4th, 2013 at 12:04:21 PM permalink

Nope. The airlines write the crazy rules, not the passengers.

A couple months ago, I flew to San Diego and rented a car. The airline, Virgin America, awarded me more frequent flier miles for my car rental than for my flight. That's insane.

But I'm not "gaming the system" by renting a car. So don't blame me for Virgin's crazy rules.

Last night I was looking for a cheap rental car for next week. I already had one for 62 bucks. I logged into my rapid reward account and found a car for. 64. I took it because I also get 1200 miles. The SW flight I took last month only earned me 708 miles.

I for one go for the lowest price.

I also had a chance to get bumped about the same day this thread was started, but I was too tired due to no sleep and passed on the 400. It was Continental.
Buffering...
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
December 4th, 2013 at 12:08:14 PM permalink
Delta can bump me off my RED EYE out of Vegas on the 19th for $400 no problem
reno
reno
December 4th, 2013 at 12:13:00 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

I swear half the people on any given plane are flying for free.

In 2013, I earned 59,276 United Airline frequent flier miles. The punchline to the joke is that I did not fly on any United flights in 2013. Every single one of those 59,276 miles was earned at hotels, car rentals, shopping, dining, Chase credit card, etc. For god's sake, I earned 1200 miles just by taking surveys. For $42, they'll sell you 6 bottles of wine and 2,500 miles.

If I told them I'd earned 59,276 miles without flying on United, do you think they'd confiscate the miles? Or would they congratulate me?
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
December 4th, 2013 at 12:32:27 PM permalink
delete
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
reno
reno
April 4th, 2014 at 12:54:57 PM permalink

UPDATE: On April 2nd, the Supreme Court decided unanimously that the airline had the right to shut down his frequent flier account and confiscate his frequent flier miles. However, the court left open the possibility that a traveler could still sue over a breach of contract.
  • Jump to: