SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 8th, 2011 at 8:04:14 AM permalink
I was trying to think of where I could discuss this, as it will make me happy thinking about it.... so here goes. I have a 21 year old son, now in graduate school, who was always crazy smart. He could read at 3, was forced to skip kindergarten and go right to first grade, got perfect SAT scores, graduated with honors from Carnegie Mellon... Throughout his life until college he was generally out of shape, not very competitive, not motivated by sports. In college he found weight training, raquetball, and running. He also became enamored with competitive eaters, as well as crossword puzzles. So in his senior year he entered and won a 'Homer Simpson' race, eat 12 Crispy Creme donuts then run 2 miles. Last year he entered the world crossword puzzle championships, sponsored by the New YorkTimes, and came in 2nd place amongst rookie participants, and was also 2nd amongst those 25 and under. He will be the favorite to win the under 25 title as the winner from last year will be 26. (Tyler Hinman, the winner, was the main character in the movie Wordplay, I believe). Sooooooo..... My son states matter of factly that if there was a triathlon that equally weighed competitive eating, running, and crossword puzzling he would be the odds on favorite. Just musing..... how do I make this happen? By the way, the crossword competition is coming up in a few weeks in Brooklyn, NY. I'm putting my son a 1:3 favorite in the under 25 group, and 2:1 at cracking the overall top 10. Thanks forum for letting me post this!!!!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 8th, 2011 at 8:21:28 AM permalink
Interesting mix of skills. I've noticed that there is a high degree or correlation in what people with similar personalities are good at. There are probably more people good at that combination of things than you think. I know of one person who would be very good at all three of those, but change crosswords to Scrabble.

If your son ever wants to take on the Burrito Challenge at the Sahara I'll bet you or him that he can't do it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 8th, 2011 at 9:56:54 AM permalink
He beat the Burrito Challenge at Burrito Bay. His picture can be found on their web site somewhere. However, he is not 'professional' at eating and would fail most difficult challenges. If you would bet against him, so would I.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 8th, 2011 at 10:06:18 AM permalink
My son wants to take you up on the bet. He is a small guy, maybe 5'5, 140lbs or so. He said the challenge he did at Burrito Bay was 6 pounds in 30 minutes. I'd love to take him to Vegas now that he is of age. I just read your story about your friend at the Sahara. I think my son should be able to do it in 90 minutes.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 8th, 2011 at 10:36:46 AM permalink
Thanks for your honesty that he beat a similar challenge already. The time I don't think makes much difference. You have to eat it as fast as possible, before the stomach tells the brain it is full.

Since I threw down the challenge I have to stand by it. However, I hope you'll let me just bet a small amount, like $100.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 8th, 2011 at 10:45:12 AM permalink
Does he want to be a minor TV celebrity? Because Adam Richman of Man v. Food on the Travel Channel just travels around and eats stuff -- a lot of stuff. If you wanted to pitch a show to one of those cable networks that involved your son eating *and* running afterwards, I bet you could pull it off. Skip the crossword puzzles, that's too esoteric, but I bet people would watch a show with the other two events. If chess-boxing can take off, so can this.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 8th, 2011 at 11:04:08 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for your honesty that he beat a similar challenge already. The time I don't think makes much difference. You have to eat it as fast as possible, before the stomach tells the brain it is full.

Since I threw down the challenge I have to stand by it. However, I hope you'll let me just bet a small amount, like $100.

We'll put up his honor versus a copy of your book. I will see when his and my schedule will get us to Vegas.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 8th, 2011 at 11:28:12 AM permalink
You may want to pitch the crossword/running biathlon idea to the NY Times / NYC Marathon. There are fan bases for both groups, and it would be a nice sideline. If you are not near a major city, you may want to just start a small event in your local community. First, get in touch with the organization that already puts on road races near you to ask about affiliating your little event. Put some flyers out at the local college track; talk to the owners of the local shoe store, book store, and donut shop to purchase "brand sponsorship". Let the local TV/Radio/Newspapers know. And definitely get video for YouTube.

As an aside, does your son have a personal best for eating McDonald's Chicken McNuggets in one hour?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
March 8th, 2011 at 12:55:19 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

We'll put up his honor versus a copy of your book. I will see when his and my schedule will get us to Vegas.

If you could make it in June this would be a great addition to the events at WoVCon
[This space is intentionally left blank]
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 8th, 2011 at 3:32:30 PM permalink
Unfortunately work schedule will not let me get there for WoVCon.
Croupier
Croupier
March 8th, 2011 at 3:36:05 PM permalink
Shame. Make sure when the challenge is on you video it an put in on youtube for posterity! The Wiz offered me the B3 challenge, which I had to decline. having never eaten a burrito in my life, I wasnt planning on starting with 3lb of it. although I think I remember being offered 10-1 odds on my money, which was my first clue the Wiz may have the advantage in that one.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 8th, 2011 at 5:03:30 PM permalink
I could eat 3lbs. The problem is it is SIX pounds. The challenge my son did was 2 three pounders. I once ate one of them and was not happy later.
Croupier
Croupier
March 9th, 2011 at 2:50:34 AM permalink
oops. I knew it was 6lbs. my mistake.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 19th, 2011 at 4:29:48 PM permalink
OK forum- an update- My son- David Plotkin- is currently the leading junior (age 25 and under) in the competition after day one. He is also in 11th place overall. There is one puzzle tomorrow to see the top 3 from three different divisions, and then those 3 compete in front of a large auditorium full of people. Wish him luck. Google crossword and his name for links. (The NY times /American crossword puzzle championship)
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
March 19th, 2011 at 5:28:14 PM permalink
You'd better hurry to the Sahara for that Burrito Challenge.

It closes down the weekend of May 14-15.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 28th, 2011 at 3:47:41 PM permalink
Unfortunately we cannot make it to the Sahara before it closes. But we have accepted the Wiz's challenge, and here are the terms. My son will run 2 miles, then complete the last 2 daily NY Times crossword puzzles, then proceed to eat 100 McDonald's Chicken McNuggets. He has 1 hour to complete the challenge. After the hour he must not have a 'reversal of fortune' for 10 minutes and then he will be declared the winner (or loser). The competition will take place on Tuesday, May 24 at 5pm. The details about where the run will start will be worked out by the Wiz sometime before the competition date. If by some chance I can interest a Las Vegas newspaper that has a puzzle to cover the story, I may change the puzzle part to their puzzle. I would be happy if any forum members could attend, as I would love to meet as many of you as possible.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 28th, 2011 at 5:30:28 PM permalink
Would it be a better challenge to eat the Chicken McRubble first, then do the crosswords and finish with the run?

Edit: Oh, and congratulations to David on his 11th place overall, first in his division, finish in the Crossword competition.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 29th, 2011 at 10:45:28 AM permalink
Ty carumba. It might be a better challenge... but I prefer the sequence of eating last.... Seeing him barf all over his puzzles... not what I have in mind!
  • Jump to: