Thread Rating:

rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 2022
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
September 8th, 2026 at 1:38:41 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

$4.99 gas, $7.25 diesel, Olympia WA.
link to original post



Wait a minute you were just in Podunk MS on Sunday. Are you a warp speed traveler
link to original post



He appears to be in Washington frequently, I have noticed a strange stench in the air on occasion.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 8th, 2026 at 1:57:37 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

$4.99 gas, $7.25 diesel, Olympia WA.
link to original post



Wait a minute you were just in Podunk MS on Sunday. Are you a warp speed traveler
link to original post



He appears to be in Washington frequently, I have noticed a strange stench in the air on occasion.
link to original post



I can't remember the last time I was in Mississippi.
As for the stench, I suggest extinguishing some of those wildfires...
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31604
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 8th, 2026 at 5:30:36 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rainman

Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

$4.99 gas, $7.25 diesel, Olympia WA.
link to original post



Wait a minute you were just in Podunk MS on Sunday. Are you a warp speed traveler
link to original post



He appears to be in Washington frequently, I have noticed a strange stench in the air on occasion.
link to original post



I can't remember the last time I was in Mississippi.
As for the stench, I suggest extinguishing some of those wildfires...
link to original post

\

Mississippi does that to people, I hear hypnosis can bring back the memories
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
KevinAA
KevinAA
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 595
Joined: Jul 6, 2017
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
September 9th, 2026 at 12:30:36 AM permalink
Quote: Kilroy

Gas is $3.29 in Northwest Indiana. The governor suspended the gas tax for the third time since May.
link to original post



Repairing roads is free now? Idiot governor.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 9th, 2026 at 6:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: rainman


He appears to be in Washington frequently, I have noticed a strange stench in the air on occasion.
link to original post



Idaho, just over the state line.
$4.55 gas, $6.59 diesel.

Go ahead with your air freshening ritual... I'm heading inland for a while.
May the cards fall in your favor.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 6391
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
September 9th, 2026 at 9:45:08 AM permalink
Knoxville TN today: $3.89 to $3.99 regular
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Sep 9, 2026
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13932
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 9th, 2026 at 10:01:49 AM permalink
2 days ago 3.92, today 4.12
Sanitized for Your Protection
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 18th, 2026 at 4:38:56 AM permalink
$3.99 gas, $7.17 diesel, just seen south of Indy
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13932
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
September 18th, 2026 at 11:17:06 AM permalink
$4.52

Sanitized for Your Protection
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 6182
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
September 19th, 2026 at 11:24:40 AM permalink
So if the price of gas is $6.40/gallon, I can get 2 ounces of gas for 10 cents.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 15022
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
September 19th, 2026 at 11:28:14 AM permalink
I paid $4.69 for 87 octane in Vegas this past week.
You can't know everything, but you can know anything.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13932
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 19th, 2026 at 12:09:27 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

So if the price of gas is $6.40/gallon, I can get 2 ounces of gas for 10 cents.
link to original post



If you can only get 2 ounces, might as well drink it.
Sanitized for Your Protection
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 15022
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
September 19th, 2026 at 2:37:25 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

So if the price of gas is $6.40/gallon, I can get 2 ounces of gas for 10 cents.
link to original post



If you go to Tehran you can get 64 ounces for 10 cents.
You can't know everything, but you can know anything.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21482
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 20th, 2026 at 7:51:37 AM permalink
4.69 this morning, by me in Tucson.
132 miles later, in Lordsburg, NM, regular is $3.45.
My next stop is Globe, AZ, high in the Mogollon Rim, where gas is usually a bit higher than in Tucson.

The first station I passed in Globe was a Circle K, priced at $4.76. A mile down the road, it was $4.37, and the Circle K in town itself was $4.06. I'd be mighty pissed to pay seventy cents a gallon more at the same brand a few miles apart.

I'm using one pedal driving this trip, and so far I'm averaging 4.1 KWH, whereas normal driving is much closer to 3 KWH. The road from Lordsburg to Globe is mostly a gentle upward slope, so it affects the battery a bit. The next hundred miles home is the most mountainous part of the trip, so I'm curious how the one-pedal driving affects it.
OPD is quite different and has a huge learning curve.
Last edited by: billryan on Sep 20, 2026
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 6391
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
September 23rd, 2026 at 3:35:46 AM permalink
The price of oil is under $100 for the fourth day in a row. The U.S. Navy has escorted >1 billion barrels of oil through the strait of Hormuz. However, the Irani drone attack on the Saudi 745-mile-long East-West pipeline will affect the price of crude oil in Asian nations. Eez complicated.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 6182
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
September 23rd, 2026 at 3:57:36 AM permalink
U.S. gas stations are starting to be reported as out of gas and/or diesel. Russia has about half the gas stations out of gas with gas lines going for miles, and it's getting worse as the month goes on. There's TV reports of long gas lines at Costco. Several states have seen their gas prices jump over 50% since late February, and more states will be added as the price goes up. A lot of things have gone up in price by more than 25% this past year. Analysts expect demand destruction will keep the prices from rising faster. Kroger says the poor people have stopped coming and now the rich people visit as prices go up 50% to over 100%. Food bank lines are hours long and full of red tape (bring a birth certificate to the food bank?). People need a car to go to the food bank because they get a lot of heavy canned food that cannot be carried far on public transportation, and the people in the food bank lines can't afford gas while it burns away in line. Millions are losing their food stamps, so food bank lines are jammed.

I'm starting to watch trucker videos concerning the price of diesel. One trucker said he spends half of his income on truck expenses and the other half he keeps for himself. He used to have a buffer when diesel prices were lower, but now it's eating into his take home pay and he says truckers will soon find out they can't afford to make the trips unless they get reimbursed higher amounts per trip.
Here's a new video I'm just running across:

American Truckers Are REFUSING Loads as Diesel Prices SKYROCKET in 2026 - Here's Why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcadbJM3dqk
I can't make this video embed.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Sep 23, 2026
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21482
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 23rd, 2026 at 7:54:39 AM permalink
The US produces over five million barrels of diesel a day while only using about 3.3 million. Selling the excess diesel overseas allows the plants to fully operate and allows full employment. Banning the export of the fuel would cause a temporary excess of supply and would naturally drive down the price of fuel until the manufacturers slow down production to deal with the extra supply, reducing employment and causing the plants to run inefficiently. Our friends and allies will still need the fuel, and if they don't buy from American companies, they buy from somewhere else. Not selling a million barrels a day overseas will do wonders for our current trade imbalance, but I'm sure the powers that be have carefully considered all of this before making such an announcement. Thank the lawd our leaders are playing 3-D chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9124
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 23rd, 2026 at 7:59:58 AM permalink
$6.50 for premium in southern Cal (didn't have time to stop a Costco, probably a bit lower there) and this European SUV took just over $140. in fuel. That's excessive for the U.S. (in Europe people have been paying high sums for years, right now average about $10. a gallon for premium).

At least when we are in Vegas we pay less for gas!
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 2216
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
Thanked by
ChumpChange
September 23rd, 2026 at 8:43:45 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

The US produces over five million barrels of diesel a day while only using about 3.3 million. Selling the excess diesel overseas allows the plants to fully operate and allows full employment. Banning the export of the fuel would cause a temporary excess of supply and would naturally drive down the price of fuel until the manufacturers slow down production to deal with the extra supply, reducing employment and causing the plants to run inefficiently. Our friends and allies will still need the fuel, and if they don't buy from American companies, they buy from somewhere else. Not selling a million barrels a day overseas will do wonders for our current trade imbalance, but I'm sure the powers that be have carefully considered all of this before making such an announcement. Thank the lawd our leaders are playing 3-D chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.
link to original post



Diesel has an interesting property in that it is essentially the same as home heating oil, from the perspective of the refinery. That's usually why diesel prices go up in the winter, and they can be lower than gasoline prices in the summer. Late September, early October might be a good time to switch. But if diesel can be sold for top dollar overseas that's what it's going to be and our citizens who heat their homes with oil will suffer. I am also thankful for our leadership which is looking out for our ordinary citizens with oil tanks in dusty basements.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 126
  • Posts: 12803
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
September 23rd, 2026 at 9:04:54 AM permalink
Maybe I’m just out of touch. We have a variety of ages/jobs/income levels here on this forum.

Who here has actually decided to not drive somewhere due to the price of gas being $4.25 a gallon instead of $3.25 a gallon?

I see the drive throughs at my local Starbucks having cars spurting out exhaust waiting for their $7 latte everyday.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 6182
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
September 23rd, 2026 at 10:06:28 AM permalink
It's the people who commute to work and refill their tanks a few times a month that the cost explodes against limited incomes. If you use 600 or 1,200 gallons of gas per year, or more, your expense just went up 50% this year; if that's a $1.50 increase, you're out $900 or $1,800 or more, round to $75 or $150 per month more. If that's more than your margin to fill the tank, you're running out.

Truckers are talking about a trucker's strike on October 1st, but one trucker said the only truckers who need to strike are the ones carrying fuel to the gas stations, the others will find empty gas pumps. Anyway, word is going out to stock up on household goods before the 1st.
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 2216
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 23rd, 2026 at 10:18:21 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Maybe I’m just out of touch. We have a variety of ages/jobs/income levels here on this forum.

Who here has actually decided to not drive somewhere due to the price of gas being $4.25 a gallon instead of $3.25 a gallon?

I see the drive throughs at my local Starbucks having cars spurting out exhaust waiting for their $7 latte everyday.
link to original post



I do remember stress over gas prices and not having money for gas being part of my life, yes. That was back when gas was somewhere around a dollar a gallon. But I was a poor college student who was not related to anyone else who went to college.

That's an inflection point that could be readily found in personal finances of the general public. Most of us don't have to worry about whether buying our own jets or just chartering when we fly is a better deal, nor if buying store brand soup or real, honest-to-God Campbell's is affordable. But fuel prices really can affect management and labor differently, or people in one neighborhood or in another a mile away differently.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9124
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:23:45 AM permalink
I think it's more when gas lines run down and around the block, that people really start to think about it.




But otherwise, I would think that when someone is broke, that affects everything not just driving, but sure that might lead to keeping driving trips down to a strict necessity. For the poor college student, which driving trip would be more important? Picking up your date to take her out, or driving to the grocery store?
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:50:32 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange


Truckers are talking about a trucker's strike on October 1st, but one trucker said the only truckers who need to strike are the ones carrying fuel to the gas stations, the others will find empty gas pumps. Anyway, word is going out to stock up on household goods before the 1st.
link to original post



(pruned!)

Most of the gas stations I see use their own tanker trucks to move fuel from the pipeline terminal (tank farm) to the fuel station. I think they tend to pay their drivers enough to discourage strikes.

The truckers who are prone to strike based on fuel prices are the independents and lease contractors that have to buy their own fuel. While some of them run a fuel transport business, most of the independents run general cargo.

In any case, yes, keeping your gas tanks more than half full is probably prudent.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13932
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:57:51 AM permalink
I would imagine it would be younger couples, at more entry level jobs 2 or3 younger kids who are feeling it most. And if they’re trying to reach upward mobility levels, time and investment keeps adding more stress and possibly more debt building up.
Sanitized for Your Protection
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21482
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 23rd, 2026 at 12:18:11 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Maybe I’m just out of touch. We have a variety of ages/jobs/income levels here on this forum.

Who here has actually decided to not drive somewhere due to the price of gas being $4.25 a gallon instead of $3.25 a gallon?

I see the drive throughs at my local Starbucks having cars spurting out exhaust waiting for their $7 latte everyday.
link to original post



Who decides to buy a gas-efficient foreign car instead of the pick up they wanted.
Who decides that ten mile drive to the special ice cream shop isn't worth it at $4.50 a gallon.
Who decides it isn't worth delivering pizzas at $4.50 a gallon, resulting in the pizzeria selling twenty fewer pies a night due to no delivery option.
What shut in can't order her pizza because the delivery guys aren't working.
Alexa says the average household has spent an extra $800-$1,000 just in extra fuel costs. That doesn't seem like much to you, but to a family that was already struggling, that extra money has to come from somewhere.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 126
  • Posts: 12803
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
September 23rd, 2026 at 1:34:36 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: SOOPOO

Maybe I’m just out of touch. We have a variety of ages/jobs/income levels here on this forum.

Who here has actually decided to not drive somewhere due to the price of gas being $4.25 a gallon instead of $3.25 a gallon?

I see the drive throughs at my local Starbucks having cars spurting out exhaust waiting for their $7 latte everyday.
link to original post



Who decides to buy a gas-efficient foreign car instead of the pick up they wanted.
Who decides that ten mile drive to the special ice cream shop isn't worth it at $4.50 a gallon.
Who decides it isn't worth delivering pizzas at $4.50 a gallon, resulting in the pizzeria selling twenty fewer pies a night due to no delivery option.
What shut in can't order her pizza because the delivery guys aren't working.
Alexa says the average household has spent an extra $800-$1,000 just in extra fuel costs. That doesn't seem like much to you, but to a family that was already struggling, that extra money has to come from somewhere.
link to original post



Of course increased fuel prices effects those with less money more than those with more money. Duh! As I expected, not a single poster on this forum has said they have not driven somewhere due to gas being $1 more than it was when it was $1 cheaper!

Inflation sucks. The whining when it’s due to ARTIFICIALLY high labor costs (government forced) doesn’t measure a decibel compared to the (Trump caused) fuel cost increases.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1424
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
September 23rd, 2026 at 2:51:35 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: billryan

Quote: SOOPOO

Maybe I’m just out of touch. We have a variety of ages/jobs/income levels here on this forum.

Who here has actually decided to not drive somewhere due to the price of gas being $4.25 a gallon instead of $3.25 a gallon?

I see the drive throughs at my local Starbucks having cars spurting out exhaust waiting for their $7 latte everyday.
link to original post



Who decides to buy a gas-efficient foreign car instead of the pick up they wanted.
Who decides that ten mile drive to the special ice cream shop isn't worth it at $4.50 a gallon.
Who decides it isn't worth delivering pizzas at $4.50 a gallon, resulting in the pizzeria selling twenty fewer pies a night due to no delivery option.
What shut in can't order her pizza because the delivery guys aren't working.
Alexa says the average household has spent an extra $800-$1,000 just in extra fuel costs. That doesn't seem like much to you, but to a family that was already struggling, that extra money has to come from somewhere.
link to original post



Of course increased fuel prices effects those with less money more than those with more money. Duh! As I expected, not a single poster on this forum has said they have not driven somewhere due to gas being $1 more than it was when it was $1 cheaper!

Inflation sucks. The whining when it’s due to ARTIFICIALLY high labor costs (government forced) doesn’t measure a decibel compared to the (Trump caused) fuel cost increases.
link to original post



So says the person living in the upward arm of the K-shaped economy...

Can you point to any similar complaints or lack thereof, by you, from Jan 20, 2021 to Jan 20, 2025?

Because driving or transportation is a fact of life and if we want to stay employed and earn a paycheck, visit our kids or grandkids or families, go to the doctor to get our check-ups and vaccinations to stay healthy, shop for food or whatever, we have to drive. And, right now, that means we have to spend more $$$ on gas. And you are a physician, and should know better than to make judgements based on a small, non-generalizable sample size. For shame!

You keep raising the same topic, and you keep getting the same question that you still refuse to answer: How much LESS should our workers make than the supposed artificially high. government forced pay?

The only people whining about artificially high, governemnt forced wages are the people being forced to pay them.

But, hey, life goes on. Or is it, let them eat cake?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 15154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 23rd, 2026 at 3:50:01 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The US produces over five million barrels of diesel a day while only using about 3.3 million. Selling the excess diesel overseas allows the plants to fully operate and allows full employment. Banning the export of the fuel would cause a temporary excess of supply and would naturally drive down the price of fuel until the manufacturers slow down production to deal with the extra supply, reducing employment and causing the plants to run inefficiently. Our friends and allies will still need the fuel, and if they don't buy from American companies, they buy from somewhere else. Not selling a million barrels a day overseas will do wonders for our current trade imbalance, but I'm sure the powers that be have carefully considered all of this before making such an announcement. Thank the lawd our leaders are playing 3-D chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.
link to original post



I just heard today that the biggest diesel refinery in the USA is offline due to local flooding.

The USA exports diesel but imports gasoline. We cut off diesel we might find gasoline we need restricted.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 23rd, 2026 at 5:59:58 PM permalink
I am seeing fewer cars on the road, and generally people seem to be driving a bit slower. It is especially noticeable when they're bleeding speed uphill, to try and stretch a little extra onto the "current MPG" gauge.

I normally see 75 or 80 (on this stretch of road), and people just tearing along the dotted line. Now seeing a lot of 65, cruise control, taking it easy.
May the cards fall in your favor.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 6182
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
Thanked by
harris
September 23rd, 2026 at 6:08:34 PM permalink
Some highways are being policed more strictly this year, like you only get 6 mph over instead of 11 mph over. There were several AI videos on the topic a few months ago. Nobody wants to drive into that.
Trucks have governors on them so they can only beat 65 mph on a downhill, even on a 75 or 80 mph road.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21482
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 23rd, 2026 at 6:32:13 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

I am seeing fewer cars on the road, and generally people seem to be driving a bit slower. It is especially noticeable when they're bleeding speed uphill, to try and stretch a little extra onto the "current MPG" gauge.

I normally see 75 or 80 (on this stretch of road), and people just tearing along the dotted line. Now seeing a lot of 65, cruise control, taking it easy.
link to original post



RV traffic in and around Bisbee and Tucson seems to be way down. I'm sure the residents of the villages are handling it better than most Americans
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 95
  • Posts: 1874
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Thanked by
harris
September 23rd, 2026 at 9:28:46 PM permalink
I was car-free for 27 years (as the Wizard can attest) and then I got a Prius, which gets nearly 60 mpg. So I've never really been concerned about the price of gas.

Also, while Dems and the media are losing their s#it over current gas prices, the truth is that it was actually higher under Biden (in real dollars, both as an average over the entire term or over just the first 20 months, to compare to this point in Trump's term). True, the prices in Biden's term were mostly from market forces while in Trump's term it's mostly because of the war, but that's not the argument we're hearing, we're hearing that gas is now suddenly crazy unaffordable omigod, which is not true, as the price is relatively lower now.

Yeah, I know that political posts aren't allowed, but it needed to be said. I'll accept the suspension.
I run Easy Vegas ( https://easy.vegas )
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 2216
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
Thanked by
Dieter
September 23rd, 2026 at 10:53:56 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

I was car-free for 27 years (as the Wizard can attest) and then I got a Prius, which gets nearly 60 mpg. So I've never really been concerned about the price of gas.

Also, while Dems and the media are losing their s#it over current gas prices, the truth is that it was actually higher under Biden (in real dollars, both as an average over the entire term or over just the first 20 months, to compare to this point in Trump's term). True, the prices in Biden's term were mostly from market forces while in Trump's term it's mostly because of the war, but that's not the argument we're hearing, we're hearing that gas is now suddenly crazy unaffordable omigod, which is not true, as the price is relatively lower now.

Yeah, I know that political posts aren't allowed, but it needed to be said. I'll accept the suspension.
link to original post



That's not really political, and I don't believe it's because of the war. Neat thing about oil is that extracting it using modern methods (e.g., fracking) isn't always profitable. In the Middle East extracting oil is inexpensive just due to geology, but as the commodity price goes up, things like fracking in North Dakota become profitable too. Self-regulating system.

But because of the general employment situation which is working out very well for blue collar males, exactly the kind that have been going to North Dakota to work in oil fields in previous years, qualified labor up there appears to be scarce.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 95
  • Posts: 1874
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:13:42 PM permalink
It's absolutely because of the war. That's rather obvious, a no economist disputes it.

I run Easy Vegas ( https://easy.vegas )
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:18:12 PM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: MichaelBluejay

I was car-free for 27 years (as the Wizard can attest) and then I got a Prius, which gets nearly 60 mpg. So I've never really been concerned about the price of gas.

Also, while Dems and the media are losing their s#it over current gas prices, the truth is that it was actually higher under Biden (in real dollars, both as an average over the entire term or over just the first 20 months, to compare to this point in Trump's term). True, the prices in Biden's term were mostly from market forces while in Trump's term it's mostly because of the war, but that's not the argument we're hearing, we're hearing that gas is now suddenly crazy unaffordable omigod, which is not true, as the price is relatively lower now.

Yeah, I know that political posts aren't allowed, but it needed to be said. I'll accept the suspension.
link to original post



That's not really political, and I don't believe it's because of the war.
link to original post



(snip! ¡snip)

Admin Green Hat On.

Not everything that mentions a political party is automatically a prohibited controversial post. MBJ's post seems to be just on the clean side, ideologically.

Green Hat off.

I'm not sure that I agree with your (MBJ's) inflation characteristics. A quick check showed about 30% increase due to inflation, 2020 to 2026. I'm seeing $6.75 for diesel today, divided by 1.3 should show around $5.20 for diesel in 2020 .. but the almanac suggests average diesel price was around $2.55 in 2020.

Still, https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=EMD_EPD2D_PTE_NUS_DPG&f=M government data is showing that MBJ's comparison seems to roughly hold for 2026 v 2022, which should only be around a 14% increase.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 2216
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:25:37 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

It's absolutely because of the war. That's rather obvious, a no economist disputes it.


link to original post



I'm looking at the data like an AP. The war has been ongoing, but there was a dip in July of approximately half the increase since the war despite the war. Why?

If we saw this data from a simulation of the kinds of games we might play, would we think that we had enough data to prove causality? No way. It seems to me that there is another, less obvious cause which has to have effect of magnitude at least that of the war.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1424
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
September 23rd, 2026 at 11:48:12 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

I was car-free for 27 years (as the Wizard can attest) and then I got a Prius, which gets nearly 60 mpg. So I've never really been concerned about the price of gas.

Also, while Dems and the media are losing their s#it over current gas prices, the truth is that it was actually higher under Biden (in real dollars, both as an average over the entire term or over just the first 20 months, to compare to this point in Trump's term). True, the prices in Biden's term were mostly from market forces while in Trump's term it's mostly because of the war, but that's not the argument we're hearing, we're hearing that gas is now suddenly crazy unaffordable omigod, which is not true, as the price is relatively lower now.

Yeah, I know that political posts aren't allowed, but it needed to be said. I'll accept the suspension.
link to original post



It's the price of petroleum products, plus the cost of housing-both renting and buying, plus the costs of motor vehicles, and the ones on the market are of terrible quality. It's the price of food, including skyrocketing beef, not at all helped by continental sized droughts and the supposed non-existant climate change as well as diease outbreaks impacting farm and crop yields. It's supply difficulties for parts and components that make finished products expensive, and back orders for spare parts for repairs. That's not even mentioning the technological hurdles and lockouts manufactures use to prevent end users from making DIY repairs.

But, please tell us again how things are just swell.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 6182
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
September 24th, 2026 at 1:59:48 AM permalink
I'm losing track of when tariffs were ruled illegal and suspended and when they came back on again illegally (pending another round of lengthy court hearings). But now we've got a situation involving a couple of straits being closed long-term that bodes very ill for the near-term.

During early COVID, supply chains were down for almost everything and unemployment hit highs never seen in recent decades, maybe since the early 1980's or early 1990's; and it took until mid-2021 to get vaccines to the public. Anti-vaxxers would never allow that.
As for gas lines, that is 1970's lore and that is where the gas lines are forming now.

If unemployment spiked to 10% again very soon, all the new work rules for SNAP & Medicaid will bar millions from benefits and grocery stores and hospitals will be in immediate jeopardy. Being on unemployment or unemployed doesn't suffice for the work rules, and nobody is hiring now.

Just reading a post about how foreign drugs are banned from the US starting Oct. 22, 2026, so the poster who gets her meds from Canada will have the cost go from $70 to $550 because of the ban. Other posts about Medicare Part D look like the prices are tripling for monthly premiums for some folks and the deductibles will be far worse. COVID vaccines may or may not be covered by insurance and those cost $150+.
*****************************************************
Diesel is hitting $3/liter in Australia. Fuel surcharges are near-doubling next month from 6.9% to 11.5%. Profits for farms are about to fall 40% because of increased costs for fertilizer and fuel. Interest rates may rise as inflation seeps into the economy. The Australian dollar has about the same exchange rate as the Canadian dollar right now, around $1.40 to $1 USD. Multiply liters by 3.78 to get US gallons, and $3 per liter is $11.34 AUS$/gallon, or about $8.10 US$/gallon in the US. California is clearly on track for $9 to $10 per gallon of diesel right now. Some stations are over $10. How will they get their outdated pumps to read $10+ per gallon? We use credit cards instead of cash like in the 1970's, so pump redesign or replacement is in order at most of these places, the easiest change from the 1970's for these times would be to sell liters instead of gallons. So when gas hits $2.649 per liter, they've hit $10/gallon. When gas hits $10/liter or $37.80/gallon, I don't know what they do after that, SMH.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tkXdPCqiOzU
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Sep 24, 2026
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7933
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
September 24th, 2026 at 2:45:49 AM permalink
$4.33 gas, $6.09 diesel... north side of Minneapolis.
Saw $4.33 gas, $6.33 diesel in northern Wisconsin as I came over.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21482
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 24th, 2026 at 4:10:54 AM permalink
I got my license in 1976, and the only gas lines I remember were in the summer of 1979 and those only lasted a short time. In NY, after a week or so of lines, they began alternating days. If your plate ended in an odd number, you gassed up on odd days. Once half the cars couldn't get on line each day, the lines pretty much went away. One of the problems in 1979 was the pumps themselves. They weren't designed for triple figure gas so some stations chose not to sell gas until their pumps were fixed, others sold gas by the half-gallon, which was illegal agt the time.. They also had gas lines for a few weeks in 1973/74, but I wasn't driving yet. The next time I waited in line for gas was after Superstorm Sandy
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13932
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 24th, 2026 at 10:16:44 AM permalink
5 ways gas prices are manipulated.

1. Geopolitical Cartel Production Mandates (OPEC)
2. Financial Derivatives Trading & Excessive Speculation
3. Corporate Capacity Retaining & Maintenance Synchronization
4. Retail "Rocket and Feather" Price Asymmetry
5. Illegal Collusion and Price Fixing (Monopoly Behavior)
Sanitized for Your Protection
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 15022
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
September 24th, 2026 at 2:13:01 PM permalink
Quote: billryan


Alexa says the average household has spent an extra $800-$1,000 just in extra fuel costs.



I spent less than $140 filling up my car this passed year.
You can't know everything, but you can know anything.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21482
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 24th, 2026 at 5:21:29 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan


Alexa says the average household has spent an extra $800-$1,000 just in extra fuel costs.



I spent less than $140 filling up my car this passed year.
link to original post



What did you pay in insurance on it?
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 95
  • Posts: 1874
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
September 24th, 2026 at 11:38:11 PM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

The war has been ongoing, but there was a dip in July of approximately half the increase since the war despite the war. Why? (link to original post)

Well since you weren't paying attention then and are too lazy to look it up now, there was a ceasefire and the Strait of Hormuz was temporarily opened.

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

If we saw this data from a simulation of the kinds of games we might play, would we think that we had enough data to prove causality? No way.

(groan) The chart isn't the PROOF, it's the ICING ON THE CAKE. The evidence is ALL THE OTHER STUFF you're ignoring. Your skepticism is tiresome since it's not based on anything real. You might as well be claiming that gravity doesn't exist and ignoring the evidence when it's presented.

Quote: GenoDRPh

It's the price of petroleum products, plus the cost of housing-both renting and buying, plus [lots of other stuf]....But, please tell us again how things are just swell.

I didn't say things were "swell", I said that the real price of gas now is cheaper than the average under Biden.

But since you asked, indeed, inflation is currently 3.4%, which is only barely above the long-term average of 3%. (3% over the last 10 years, and 2.8% over the last 40 years) It's only above 3% because it includes energy, which has gone up a lot year-over-year. Excluding energy and food it's only 2.4%, and food itself is only 2.7%, both easily below the long-term average. BLS/CPI

So, chide me all you want, but those are the numbers. And while Trump has been deleting data like nobody's business and leaning on some agencies to produce the results he wants, there's no evidence (or even an allegation) that he's influenced the CPI.

Here's why it *feels* higher:

(1) A few high-profile items have had larger increases. Those are the ones that get people's attention.

(2) 2.7% on top of *already high prices* (e.g. from the 2021-22 inflation) hits harder.

(3) Wages haven't kept up with inflation, which means that everyone's buying power is reduced. This is the important bit that the media misses. Inflation could be only 1% but if wages go up 0% then that's gonna hurt. We should focus less on inflation on goods (not that important in isolation) and focus more on the gap because inflation on goods and wage increases (absolutely matters).
I run Easy Vegas ( https://easy.vegas )
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 2216
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
September 25th, 2026 at 1:32:11 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

The war has been ongoing, but there was a dip in July of approximately half the increase since the war despite the war. Why? (link to original post)

Well since you weren't paying attention then and are too lazy to look it up now, there was a ceasefire and the Strait of Hormuz was temporarily opened.



But there was never an actual cease fire, and the Straits were never actually closed.

Shortly after the war began and the leadership of the IRGC got bombed out, as well as all of their actual military resources, they began a campaign of threatening merchant ships for Bitcoin like the dirty little beggars they are, but the US is escorting tankers through the area every day. The only people who can't ship oil are the Iranians themselves and that is going to affect supply, but not to the extent suggested by fuel prices.

There are a lot of similar things going on at once, the Houthis are doing the same on the Red Sea side of the Arabian Peninsula, and the Kleptocrat of Kiev is also attacking shipping, apparently in an attempt to wheedle more money from the US, but I think the biggest factors in the fuel price increases are speculation and panicked histrionics intended for political messaging.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 15154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 25th, 2026 at 2:28:13 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

I was car-free for 27 years (as the Wizard can attest) and then I got a Prius, which gets nearly 60 mpg. So I've never really been concerned about the price of gas.

Also, while Dems and the media are losing their s#it over current gas prices, the truth is that it was actually higher under Biden (in real dollars, both as an average over the entire term or over just the first 20 months, to compare to this point in Trump's term). True, the prices in Biden's term were mostly from market forces while in Trump's term it's mostly because of the war, but that's not the argument we're hearing, we're hearing that gas is now suddenly crazy unaffordable omigod, which is not true, as the price is relatively lower now.

Yeah, I know that political posts aren't allowed, but it needed to be said. I'll accept the suspension.
link to original post



The station I paid $4.799 at yesterday was $4.999 in 2022.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 15154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
September 25th, 2026 at 2:33:58 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I got my license in 1976, and the only gas lines I remember were in the summer of 1979 and those only lasted a short time. In NY, after a week or so of lines, they began alternating days. If your plate ended in an odd number, you gassed up on odd days. Once half the cars couldn't get on line each day, the lines pretty much went away. One of the problems in 1979 was the pumps themselves. They weren't designed for triple figure gas so some stations chose not to sell gas until their pumps were fixed, others sold gas by the half-gallon, which was illegal agt the time.. They also had gas lines for a few weeks in 1973/74, but I wasn't driving yet. The next time I waited in line for gas was after Superstorm Sandy
link to original post



There were several problems in 1979. Oil prices were regulated. "Old" wells had prices capped but "new" wells did not. Idea was to encourage new drilling, but it more made people limit production.

Back then you had to pull up to the right pump and you had to wait if a car on the other side of the island was using it first. Today pumps have all grades (except special stuff like E-0) at all pumps on both sides.

Stations are far larger even if far fewer in number. But it is more efficient.

There were other price regulations as well.

I would rather pay more and be able to buy all I want than have to wait for a limited supply USSR style.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31604
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 25th, 2026 at 12:47:31 PM permalink
I got gas last week for the first time since December 15th but I only put in three gallons because it's just too expensive. Looks like I'm using about two gallons per month maybe a little less.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13932
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 25th, 2026 at 1:14:04 PM permalink
unless my source is wrong. : )

Quote:

. Credit card delinquency rates have jumped to 13.1%, marking a 16-year high. Student loan delinquency rates have also soared past 10.3%.

Sanitized for Your Protection
  • Jump to: