Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 19th, 2021 at 1:12:06 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

Yep. Rotonda West is another that's worth checking out.

I just made an offer on a house near The Cove of Rotunda Golf Course. You probably know better than I where it is. On the map it looks to be about half way between Rotunda West and Gulf Cove. I have to say it is pretty exciting and exhilarating to try to buy a house sight unseen.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 20th, 2021 at 9:46:56 AM permalink
Sign on a cart path on a par 4: You are 150 yards from the center of the green: you are 175 yards from a $200 glass window. Choose your club carefully!

tuttigym
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
August 20th, 2021 at 12:25:25 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I just made an offer on a house near The Cove of Rotunda Golf Course. You probably know better than I where it is. On the map it looks to be about half way between Rotunda West and Gulf Cove. I have to say it is pretty exciting and exhilarating to try to buy a house sight unseen.

Just drove by The Cove on my way home. So I'm guessing the house is in Englewood?
DRich
DRich
August 20th, 2021 at 1:06:05 PM permalink

Just drove by The Cove on my way home. So I'm guessing the house is in Englewood?

It is on the border of Port Charlotte and Englewood but in Port Charlotte. You will need to eventually give me a rundown on golf in that area. Best courses, best prices, etc. I am a beginner and tend to lean to the cheaper courses. Obviously if my offer is accepted I will tell you exactly where it is.
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
  • Threads: 1
August 21st, 2021 at 2:58:33 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Sign on a cart path on a par 4: You are 150 yards from the center of the green: you are 175 yards from a $200 glass window. Choose your club carefully!

tuttigym

That's funny. In California at least, property owners are deemed to have assumed the risk of errant golf balls when purchasing property on a golf course. The standard for holding the golfer responsible is not one of negligence, but recklessness; recklessness is a much higher bar to clear . In other words, golf balls struck in the ordinary course of the game that damage property along a golf course will not necessarily render the striker liable for damages.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 21st, 2021 at 8:56:25 AM permalink
Quote: LoquaciousMoFW

That's funny. In California at least, property owners are deemed to have assumed the risk of errant golf balls when purchasing property on a golf course. The standard for holding the golfer responsible is not one of negligence, but recklessness; recklessness is a much higher bar to clear . In other words, golf balls struck in the ordinary course of the game that damage property along a golf course will not necessarily render the striker liable for damages.

In Georgia and Florida as well as many other states, the above is also true. I have always said that anyone who purchases a home on a golf course fairway has a club head speed of 5 mph.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
tuttigym
August 23rd, 2021 at 8:51:03 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

In Georgia and Florida as well as many other states, the above is also true. I have always said that anyone who purchases a home on a golf course fairway has a club head speed of 5 mph.

That is a great line.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
August 23rd, 2021 at 10:00:29 AM permalink
Executive course built amongst condos in Coram NY. (Long Island). I had a cousin buy a condo 20-30 yards or so right of a short par 3. He would get 80-100 balls per season in his very small fenced in area by his front door. These are just the balls a golfer would be too embarrassed to go recover. As a golfer there is a ZERO percent chance I’d have bought in that location. I did buy one on the next tee. No chance of a ball coming close. I could see the golfers from a tad behind them as they teed off.

Almost saw a hole in one on par 4 yesterday. Main tee was being repaired so we were playing it around 270 yards. I smoked it down the fairway to around 50 yards. The younger guy drew it in to 4 feet or so. He missed the eagle putt.
DRich
DRich
August 23rd, 2021 at 12:30:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Executive course built amongst condos in Coram NY. (Long Island). I had a cousin buy a condo 20-30 yards or so right of a short par 3. He would get 80-100 balls per season in his very small fenced in area by his front door. These are just the balls a golfer would be too embarrassed to go recover. As a golfer there is a ZERO percent chance I’d have bought in that location. I did buy one on the next tee. No chance of a ball coming close. I could see the golfers from a tad behind them as they teed off.

Almost saw a hole in one on par 4 yesterday. Main tee was being repaired so we were playing it around 270 yards. I smoked it down the fairway to around 50 yards. The younger guy drew it in to 4 feet or so. He missed the eagle putt.

My current house is a block off of the golf course and I have had four balls in my yard in six years. Two in the pool and two in the front yard.
DRich
DRich
August 23rd, 2021 at 7:22:03 PM permalink
My wife flew down to Port Charlotte today and the house we made an offer on was a dud. Time to start over. She will be home tonight and we have to regroup.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 18th, 2021 at 6:20:55 PM permalink
South Florida has local PGA tournament. Women compete against men…. but…. THEY PLAY FROM DIFFERENT TEES!!!!

The men played the course at 7000 yards, the women 5700. A woman who was a fringe player on LPGA tour won the event and the $750 prize. Ridiculous.

I played yesterday with my super long hitting friend. He started even par after 5 holes. I was 6 over after 5 holes. I played last 13 holes 5 over, he exploded with a few triple bogies. He did drive OVER the green on two par 4’s. Both were a tad over 300 yards.

The variance…. Today I only had 2 pars in 18 holes.
DRich
DRich
September 19th, 2021 at 6:07:33 AM permalink

South Florida has local PGA tournament. Women compete against men…. but…. THEY PLAY FROM DIFFERENT TEES!!!!

The men played the course at 7000 yards, the women 5700. A woman who was a fringe player on LPGA tour won the event and the $750 prize. Ridiculous.

I played yesterday with my super long hitting friend. He started even par after 5 holes. I was 6 over after 5 holes. I played last 13 holes 5 over, he exploded with a few triple bogies. He did drive OVER the green on two par 4’s. Both were a tad over 300 yards.

The variance…. Today I only had 2 pars in 18 holes.

• link to original post

My last round was at a links course and a 108. Playing an easier course today so hopefully break 98.
    Gundy
    Gundy
    September 19th, 2021 at 7:08:01 AM permalink
    I played six consecutive days in SWFL.

Scores 75, 81, 77, 79, 84, 84.

Today is a much-needed day off.

Although, my new Edel wedges were delivered yesterday. I might walk out to the 18th hole and casually hit a few later this afternoon.
    Gundy
    Gundy
    September 20th, 2021 at 12:44:19 PM permalink
    Shot 84 today. Zero birdies. Lost (-$10).
    DRich
    DRich
    September 20th, 2021 at 12:54:28 PM permalink

• link to original post

I shot 102 on an easy course. I am getting worse.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:41:55 PM permalink
    I’ve been alternating good round/bad round. Which means tomorrow ‘must’ be a good round!
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 240
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:44:07 PM permalink
    My friends parents bought a house alongside a golf course in Garden City about forty five years ago. When they bought it, the father installed this huge net system that went up about thirty feet and must have been eighty feet long. It was a real eyesore and they took it down after a few years. My friend grew up and bought the house so he has lived there almost the whole time. He never had a broken window until two years ago, and suddenly had several in a short time.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard
    • Threads: 1491
    September 20th, 2021 at 4:50:52 PM permalink
    Hello my golfing friends!

I hope you won't consider this hijacking, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on a post I wrote on the golf scene in the movie Goldfinger. I welcome all thoughts, but in that thread please.

Carry on with what you were talking about.
    "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
    Gundy
    Gundy
    September 21st, 2021 at 10:15:21 AM permalink
    Quote: DRich

• link to original post

I shot 102 on an easy course. I am getting worse.
  • link to original post

I'm getting worse too.

Shot 85 today. Two birdies. Lost (-$2).
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 12th, 2021 at 10:53:34 AM permalink
    Just shot a GREAT 86 today. Tied the 5 handicap golfer who I played with. The rough was RIDICULOUS. Could barely advance the ball the few times I missed the fairway. The low handicapper said the rough was equivalent to a US Open. It hasn’t been that wet so not sure why they haven’t cut it to a reasonable length.

Will be in Vegas mid November.
    Thursday. Angel Park
    Friday. TPC Las Vegas
    Saturday. 36 holes at Paiute

Friend is renting house in Summerlin for 7 weeks so I may not even make it to the strip.
    DRich
    DRich
    October 12th, 2021 at 2:39:59 PM permalink

Just shot a GREAT 86 today. Tied the 5 handicap golfer who I played with. The rough was RIDICULOUS. Could barely advance the ball the few times I missed the fairway. The low handicapper said the rough was equivalent to a US Open. It hasn’t been that wet so not sure why they haven’t cut it to a reasonable length.

Will be in Vegas mid November.
    Thursday. Angel Park
    Friday. TPC Las Vegas
    Saturday. 36 holes at Paiute

Friend is renting house in Summerlin for 7 weeks so I may not even make it to the strip.
    link to original post

I enjoy Paiute.

Too bad you are not at TPC Summerlin, that is where the PGA was this weekend. BTW, I had four tickets to the Sunday final round and never made it out there.
    Gundy
    Gundy
    October 14th, 2021 at 3:06:30 AM permalink
    Hey guys. I am playing a golf course that requires a caddie.

The fee is $100 for a single-bag caddie. How much should I tip?
    DRich
    DRich
    October 14th, 2021 at 7:29:03 AM permalink

link to original post

I have never had my own caddie. We would usually have one caddie for the two of us in cart.

I would probably tip $40-$50.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 14th, 2021 at 10:15:26 AM permalink

link to original post

Congrats! Minimum $50. Go up to $100 if you feel service was great. At least that’s what my friends who use caddies tell me!
    Gundy
    Gundy
    October 14th, 2021 at 12:10:55 PM permalink

link to original post

Congrats! Minimum $50. Go up to $100 if you feel service was great. At least that’s what my friends who use caddies tell me!
    link to original post

Thanks SOOPOO. That's pretty much what I was thinking (but definitely needed a second opinion). It's my first time walking with a caddie carrying my bag.
    Gundy
    Gundy
    October 22nd, 2021 at 4:55:26 AM permalink
    Update- the caddie thing didn't work out. My caddie immediately started to complain about the weight of my bag. I fired him on the spot. I walked and carried the bag myself. Easy work.

My bag is 4.5 lb stand bag, 14 clubs, 6 balls, misc tees and ball markers. That's all.

The dude was soft. Wimpy, for sure. No way I was going to pay the guy $160 or so and listen to him complain.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 142
    October 22nd, 2021 at 6:33:39 AM permalink

Update- the caddie thing didn't work out. My caddie immediately started to complain about the weight of my bag. I fired him on the spot. I walked and carried the bag myself. Easy work.

My bag is 4.5 lb stand bag, 14 clubs, 6 balls, misc tees and ball markers. That's all.

The dude was soft. Wimpy, for sure. No way I was going to pay the guy $160 or so and listen to him complain.
    link to original post

I'm going to set the caddie age over/under line at 28.

When it comes to people my age, or older, when you take a job that mostly entails carrying something, you expect to have to carry something. I imagine this caddie isn't going to be giving you any creative ideas vis-a-vis short punching with your five-iron to run the ball up on the green, or anything like that.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    Gundy
    Gundy
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    October 22nd, 2021 at 7:24:59 AM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

link to original post

I'm going to set the caddie age over/under line at 28.

When it comes to people my age, or older, when you take a job that mostly entails carrying something, you expect to have to carry something. I imagine this caddie isn't going to be giving you any creative ideas vis-a-vis short punching with your five-iron to run the ball up on the green, or anything like that.
    link to original post

That's a very sharp over/under line. My guy was probably 26.

Perhaps his complaining was strategic? Maybe he wanted to go home and play video games?
    Mission146
    Mission146
    Thanked by
    Dieter
    October 22nd, 2021 at 7:40:40 AM permalink

That's a very sharp over/under line. My guy was probably 26.

Perhaps his complaining was strategic? Maybe he wanted to go home and play video games?
    link to original post

Probably PGA Tour 2K21, for the irony.

By the way, if you only have six balls in your bag, don't ask me to play skins with you---the answer is no.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    mwalz9
    mwalz9
    • Threads: 52
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    October 22nd, 2021 at 9:18:29 AM permalink
    I worked as a caddie in college. Some of the best money I ever made. Most of my work was fore-caddying. I would be responsible for a foursome, with carts. I would run out about 250-275 yards ahead of them and mark all 4 balls so no time is spent looking for balls. I would also have their yardage for each of the 4 of them on their approach shots. This type of caddying paid me a minimum $40 required tip, no max.

If we did the traditional caddying of carrying a bag for 1 golfer walking, the minimum was $50 with no max.

My best loop ever was a guy that owned some hotels flew into Pittsburgh, PA and then flew in on a helicopter and landed on our course in Bridgeport, WV. He was staying to play Monday thru Friday 36 holes each day, 5 days. It was 4 guys total so I was fore caddying. I did both of their loops on Monday and they liked my work. So the guy asked if I could do their loops the next 4 days as well. So I did the rest of the week. When we finished on Friday afternoon, he handed me $2500 cash and 2 Cohiba cigars.

I also had the pleasure of caddying for Rich Rodriguez when I worked there as well as standing on the fairway all day of one of the holes marking balls for thge Pittsburgh Pirates Caravan golf tour. I met and talked to many famous former Pirates that day.

I also saw, but did not caddy for, Mario Lemiuex, Michael Jordan and John Daly.

*NOTE THESE AMOUNTS WERE THE LATE 1990'S AMOUNTS, ADJUST FOR INFLATION*
    Mission146
    Mission146
    October 22nd, 2021 at 10:05:11 AM permalink
    Cool stories and great money!

If you wanted to caddy for Daly, then you should have held on to one of the Cohibas and showed up at the course with that and a bottle of decent Scotch. As an alcoholic, I'm allowed to make that joke---those are the rules.
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    October 22nd, 2021 at 10:35:11 AM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

As an alcoholic, I'm allowed to make that joke---those are the rules.
    link to original post

Yeah, those are the rules.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 22nd, 2021 at 1:08:25 PM permalink
    I golfed this morning. Was COLD when we started. 46. Warmed up to 48 when I was done. I hit the ball below average, but putted lights out. Not a single 3 putt. And put my 50-100 footers to within a foot or two consistently. It was an 87.

Next year same date maybe in Florida at 80 and sunny…
    • Jump to: