Thread Rating:

helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 71
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:24:17 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

The toughest course I have ever played - Kiawah Island, S.C. where they played the Ryder Cup and the U.S. Open.

What is the most difficult course you have experienced?

tuttigym

Kiawah Island Ocean Course is also the backdrop for one of my favourite golf movies "The Legend of Bagger Vance".

The most difficult I've played is Royal Dornoch in Scotland. It's tough but fair.

If you don't want to travel across the pond, but would like a similar experience then Pinehurst No. 2 is supposedly very similar to Royal Dornoch. Donald Ross the architect behind Pinehurst No. 2 was born in Dornoch, Scotland.

Pinehurst No. 2 is on my list to play. Also on my list to play is:

TPC Sawgrass
Pebble Beach
Royal Troon
Turnberry - Ailsa
Royal Portrush
Royal County Down

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:39:33 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Helpmespock…. Once border open let’s play Hickory Stick (minutes from Lewiston-Queenston bridge) or Legends (on your side). I’m only free on days that end in the letter ‘y’…

For sure. Hopefully things calm down soon. The US land border is closed to me until Aug 21st.

The Canadian border is open to the US as of Aug. 9th, but the problem is testing requirements. I haven't heard if they're changing or not come that date.

I could use one of my Fridays this summer for a round of golf with you if things open up in time!

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:47:13 PM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

For sure. Hopefully things calm down soon. The US land border is closed to me until Aug 21st.

The Canadian border is open to the US as of Aug. 9th, but the problem is testing requirements. I haven't heard if they're changing or not come that date.

I could use one of my Fridays this summer for a round of golf with you if things open up in time!

--helpmespock

It’s on! By the way, I’ve played one golf course in Europe….. Royal Dornoch! I am pretty sure I shot in the 80’s!

I have a framed picture of me in one of the bunkers, with the sand splashing and the ball just escaping over the high face….
helpmespock
helpmespock
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 5:02:38 PM permalink

It’s on! By the way, I’ve played one golf course in Europe….. Royal Dornoch! I am pretty sure I shot in the 80’s!

I have a framed picture of me in one of the bunkers, with the sand splashing and the ball just escaping over the high face….

Hmmm...seems we've faced a similar fate at Royal Dornoch:

and yes that's my NY Jets hat...

I believe I shot a 103 the first time I played it and 105 the second. I'm not a great golfer by any stretch of the imagination. I'm currently a 20 handicap, but before COVID I hovered around 23-24.

--helpmespock
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 7:00:41 PM permalink

We have a couse in Las Vegas that patterns it's holes after famous Scottish holes. I hate that course. The course is full of huge weeds outside the fairways and ridiculous bunkers. I probably play it four times a year and cuss out my playing partners when they book it,

https://royallinksgolfclub.com/
Order from chaos
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 9
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 7:50:16 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Please tell me that was a joke before my heart explodes.

There is no way I would want to see your "heart explode." Everyone knows that Guy Lombardo was the coach of the ............

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 9
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 8:01:57 PM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

Kiawah Island Ocean Course is also the backdrop for one of my favourite golf movies "The Legend of Bagger Vance".

The most difficult I've played is Royal Dornoch in Scotland. It's tough but fair.

If you don't want to travel across the pond, but would like a similar experience then Pinehurst No. 2 is supposedly very similar to Royal Dornoch. Donald Ross the architect behind Pinehurst No. 2 was born in Dornoch, Scotland.

Pinehurst No. 2 is on my list to play. Also on my list to play is:

TPC Sawgrass
Pebble Beach
Royal Troon
Turnberry - Ailsa
Royal Portrush
Royal County Down

--helpmespock

I have played Pinehurst # 2. It is long and narrow and flat. There is water on one hole -- 18 I think. The water does not come into play. It is directly in front of the tee box and is very small. i found the course, for me, to be very ordinary. Pinehurst # 7 was a real challenge. Lots of woods, water, hills, and valleys, for me, very tough.

TPC Sawgrass was a beast; did not have any fun playing that one. I think I shot 232. Finished with one club left in my bag. Do not tell Mission.

tuttigym
helpmespock
helpmespock
Mission146
August 4th, 2021 at 4:11:14 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

We have a couse in Las Vegas that patterns it's holes after famous Scottish holes. I hate that course. The course is full of huge weeds outside the fairways and ridiculous bunkers. I probably play it four times a year and cuss out my playing partners when they book it,

https://royallinksgolfclub.com/

That's funny. I'd had that course booked for my March Break trip back in 2020 and then COVID hit.

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
Mission146
August 4th, 2021 at 4:19:24 PM permalink

I have played Pinehurst # 2. It is long and narrow and flat. There is water on one hole -- 18 I think. The water does not come into play. It is directly in front of the tee box and is very small. i found the course, for me, to be very ordinary. Pinehurst # 7 was a real challenge. Lots of woods, water, hills, and valleys, for me, very tough.

We'll likely stay at the resort and play a bunch of the courses so I'll put No. 7 on the list.

TPC Sawgrass was a beast; did not have any fun playing that one. I think I shot 232. Finished with one club left in my bag. Do not tell Mission.tuttigym

Interesting. A fellow member played TPC Sawgrass, but didn't mention its difficulty.

I'm curious about Carnoustie in Scotland too, but its nickname "Car-nasty" had me scared off. A golfmonthly.co.uk review said while tough it didn't deserve the name so I'm re-considering playing it.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
August 16th, 2021 at 3:39:04 PM permalink
41-35 at one of my usual courses. I probably average 86 or so there. The 35 was my lowest to par 9 holes ever, 1 under par. 4 birdies for the first time over 18 holes. It is weird. As a gambler I understand positive variance. But it feels different as a golfer. Glen Oak if anyone wants to look at the track.

• Jump to: