Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 3:31:36 AM permalink
I play a lot. Watch a lot. Am an 11 now, but probably really a 13-14 or so. Our group plays out of bounds or lost balls like lateral hazards. And since some of the courses we play have iffy sand traps, we allow ‘rake and place’ often.

I have a younger friend who is probably an 18-20, but hits the ball as long as any pro not named Bryson. I played in a scramble with him yesterday. On one par 5, he hit his drive 336 yards and straight. It was wet so not much roll. The hole was listed at 500 yards, but pin was up front so we had 150 left. He hit pitching wedge on his second shot on a par 5. All 4 of us played better than we usually would. We ended up 11 under on this 6750 yard course. As I was the lowest handicap player, that really is an amazing result.

I love golf. Tee time in an hour.
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:20:04 AM permalink
11 under is an excellent score (6,750 yards, 11 hdc best player). Seriously good.

Good thread- let's hope it gets lots of action.

I "only" play 6 days per week. And I practice on my "off" day.

And I also have a tee time this morning.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:29:02 AM permalink
If anyone wants to know what I look like in an almost out of control rage, then they should take me golfing.

I'm just kidding; I wouldn't go. I'll only golf if I am by myself.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:55:12 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

If anyone wants to know what I look like in an almost out of control rage, then they should take me golfing.

I'm just kidding; I wouldn't go. I'll only golf if I am by myself.

I know what you mean.

99% of the time that #@$#$@ clown shuts his mouth just as I putt.
Mission146
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 5:01:57 AM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

I know what you mean.

99% of the time that #@$#$@ clown shuts his mouth just as I putt.

I'm pretty much Happy Gilmore, except (other than out of control streams of profanity) my two big, "Blowups," are either the club into tree throw, or casually tossing my club into a pond.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 5:03:26 AM permalink
My best round ever was a -2, I left the 18th with two fewer clubs than I had when I started the round.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 6:49:42 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I play a lot. Watch a lot. Am an 11 now, but probably really a 13-14 or so. Our group plays out of bounds or lost balls like lateral hazards. And since some of the courses we play have iffy sand traps, we allow ‘rake and place’ often.

I have a younger friend who is probably an 18-20, but hits the ball as long as any pro not named Bryson. I played in a scramble with him yesterday. On one par 5, he hit his drive 336 yards and straight. It was wet so not much roll. The hole was listed at 500 yards, but pin was up front so we had 150 left. He hit pitching wedge on his second shot on a par 5. All 4 of us played better than we usually would. We ended up 11 under on this 6750 yard course. As I was the lowest handicap player, that really is an amazing result.

i am so jealous of your frequent golf. I get to play at most once a week and am still terrible. I think if I ever get the opportunity to play three days a week I will take it more serious and practice a little. Today my practice is one practice swing per round, on the first tee and then I never take another one. i haven't been to the range in over 5 years.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 10:30:06 AM permalink

I have played for a long bit. I quit when I was age 59. It was not fun anymore, got worse, lost about 6 hours each time I played, and was pretty miserable in general. The only exception was an annual reunion once a year with my former Marine friends. We played in the winter usually at Myrle Beach, S.C. I would throw my clubs in the car and drive there, meet up, play, and then come home and toss the clubs in the garage until the next year's reunion.

At age 73, I started up again and have been playing at least twice a week. A rude awakening!! Club head speed = 67 mph and there is a curse to go along with my deficiency --- I am always in the middle of the fairway.

The toughest course I have ever played - Kiawah Island, S.C. where they played the Ryder Cup and the U.S. Open.

What is the most difficult course you have experienced?

More later.

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 10:32:10 AM permalink

My best round ever was a -2, I left the 18th with two fewer clubs than I had when I started the round.

You forgot to assess yourself a 10 stroke penalty per broken or tossed club. Real score 16 over par.

tuttigym
Mission146
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 10:33:14 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

You forgot to assess yourself a 10 stroke penalty per broken or tossed club. Real score 16 over par.

tuttigym

Ha! Eighteen, but I got it.

The toughest courses I have ever played are all of the courses that have had greens.
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 10:52:50 AM permalink

Ha! Eighteen, but I got it.

The toughest courses I have ever played are all of the courses that have had greens.

LOL. Cow pastures are very forgiving the same for sheep meadows. The extra 2 strokes were put on your Visa.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 11:59:30 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

i am so jealous of your frequent golf. I get to play at most once a week and am still terrible. I think if I ever get the opportunity to play three days a week I will take it more serious and practice a little. Today my practice is one practice swing per round, on the first tee and then I never take another one. i haven't been to the range in over 5 years.

If you move to the Villages, they have free golf. Or at least they did when I was visiting there. They had a couple dozen Executive courses so you can mix and match the front and back nines.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 12:14:31 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If you move to the Villages, they have free golf. Or at least they did when I was visiting there. They had a couple dozen Executive courses so you can mix and match the front and back nines.

One of the big reasons we are considering The Villages is the golf! Keeps growing, but I think there are 45 free 9 hole courses, and 15 ‘championship’ courses which are 27 holes and of course you play two of the three nines each time. There is a fee for ‘championship golf’ I think between $20 and $45 depending on season. I believe I will also have to pay a $600 yearly fee to get ‘preferred’ tee times. But still a great deal.

I never practice. Either play or stay home. Three warm up swings. Plus a few putts to get general feel for speed of the greens.

Birdied first hole today. Don’t feel like discussing the subsequent 17 holes…..
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 12:53:45 PM permalink

My wife retired last Friday but I don't think she wants to live in the Villages as she is only 45. She said that is where old people go to die. I on the other hand am an old person so I don't have a problem with it. We are moving to the Gulf side of the state near the Ft Myers area.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 2:00:58 PM permalink
It's ten years or more since I was there, but there were an awful lot of young retirees. I think they waive the age requirement for cops and military. I witnessed an animated discussion between a group that wanted to listen to Bob Marley and Jimmy buffet while the other wanted Guy Lombardo and the like.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 2:03:03 PM permalink
I lived in FL for 20+ years - Dade County (Miami area) then Broward County (Lauderdale and Tamarac). I have played Doral -"Blue Monster" and many other courses. Most of them are flat with sand and water, but none are really tough. Doral is wide open and long, but for me, nothing special. I hated the 10 months of "summer." I do hope you enjoy The Villages. BTW Doral Gold course is really difficult. It is long, narrow, and water comes into play on 13 of the 18 holes. The pros won't play it because they can't score well.

p.s. Watch out for gators.

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 2:05:48 PM permalink

I witnessed an animated discussion between a group that wanted to listen to Bob Marley and Jimmy buffet while the other wanted Guy Lombardo and the like.

Didn't he coach the Packers?? Maybe not.

tuttigym
Mission146
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 3:04:54 PM permalink

Didn't he coach the Packers?? Maybe not.

tuttigym

Please tell me that was a joke before my heart explodes.
helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 78
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 3:57:25 PM permalink
I've been a member at a local course since 2017.

I've played twice a week in the summer due to COVID. I've been with my workplace for 21 years and that gets me 5 weeks worth of vacation. Since COVID hit, there hasn't been much to do so I take Fridays off and then golf Friday and Saturdays. In a normal year, I'd only golf on Saturdays during the golf season.

Our Member's scramble this year was a Vegas Scramble. Everyone hits a tee shot and then you roll a die. 1 through 4 you use that golfer's drive. 5 or 6 you get to choose.

On the 5th hole, our best player uncorks a beautiful 325 yard draw. Perfect shot for the first par-5 on our front nine. He's number "4" and so we've got a 50% chance to be able to use his drive. We roll a "2" and end up with one of the short drives.

My number was "3" and on the 10th everyone hits a nice playable tee shot and I put my on a hill beside a tree. The joke for the rest of the back nine was, "...just don't roll a 3".

We ended up tied for 3rd with three other teams at 6 under.

Our club championship is this weekend so I'll have to see how things go.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:16:46 PM permalink
Helpmespock…. Once border open let’s play Hickory Stick (minutes from Lewiston-Queenston bridge) or Legends (on your side). I’m only free on days that end in the letter ‘y’…
helpmespock
helpmespock
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:24:17 PM permalink

The toughest course I have ever played - Kiawah Island, S.C. where they played the Ryder Cup and the U.S. Open.

What is the most difficult course you have experienced?

tuttigym

Kiawah Island Ocean Course is also the backdrop for one of my favourite golf movies "The Legend of Bagger Vance".

The most difficult I've played is Royal Dornoch in Scotland. It's tough but fair.

If you don't want to travel across the pond, but would like a similar experience then Pinehurst No. 2 is supposedly very similar to Royal Dornoch. Donald Ross the architect behind Pinehurst No. 2 was born in Dornoch, Scotland.

Pinehurst No. 2 is on my list to play. Also on my list to play is:

TPC Sawgrass
Pebble Beach
Royal Troon
Turnberry - Ailsa
Royal Portrush
Royal County Down

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:39:33 PM permalink

Helpmespock…. Once border open let’s play Hickory Stick (minutes from Lewiston-Queenston bridge) or Legends (on your side). I’m only free on days that end in the letter ‘y’…

For sure. Hopefully things calm down soon. The US land border is closed to me until Aug 21st.

The Canadian border is open to the US as of Aug. 9th, but the problem is testing requirements. I haven't heard if they're changing or not come that date.

I could use one of my Fridays this summer for a round of golf with you if things open up in time!

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:47:13 PM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

For sure. Hopefully things calm down soon. The US land border is closed to me until Aug 21st.

The Canadian border is open to the US as of Aug. 9th, but the problem is testing requirements. I haven't heard if they're changing or not come that date.

I could use one of my Fridays this summer for a round of golf with you if things open up in time!

--helpmespock

It’s on! By the way, I’ve played one golf course in Europe….. Royal Dornoch! I am pretty sure I shot in the 80’s!

I have a framed picture of me in one of the bunkers, with the sand splashing and the ball just escaping over the high face….
helpmespock
helpmespock
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 5:02:38 PM permalink

It’s on! By the way, I’ve played one golf course in Europe….. Royal Dornoch! I am pretty sure I shot in the 80’s!

I have a framed picture of me in one of the bunkers, with the sand splashing and the ball just escaping over the high face….

Hmmm...seems we've faced a similar fate at Royal Dornoch:

and yes that's my NY Jets hat...

I believe I shot a 103 the first time I played it and 105 the second. I'm not a great golfer by any stretch of the imagination. I'm currently a 20 handicap, but before COVID I hovered around 23-24.

--helpmespock
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 7:00:41 PM permalink

We have a couse in Las Vegas that patterns it's holes after famous Scottish holes. I hate that course. The course is full of huge weeds outside the fairways and ridiculous bunkers. I probably play it four times a year and cuss out my playing partners when they book it,

https://royallinksgolfclub.com/
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 7:50:16 PM permalink

Please tell me that was a joke before my heart explodes.

There is no way I would want to see your "heart explode." Everyone knows that Guy Lombardo was the coach of the ............

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 8:01:57 PM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

Kiawah Island Ocean Course is also the backdrop for one of my favourite golf movies "The Legend of Bagger Vance".

The most difficult I've played is Royal Dornoch in Scotland. It's tough but fair.

If you don't want to travel across the pond, but would like a similar experience then Pinehurst No. 2 is supposedly very similar to Royal Dornoch. Donald Ross the architect behind Pinehurst No. 2 was born in Dornoch, Scotland.

Pinehurst No. 2 is on my list to play. Also on my list to play is:

TPC Sawgrass
Pebble Beach
Royal Troon
Turnberry - Ailsa
Royal Portrush
Royal County Down

--helpmespock

I have played Pinehurst # 2. It is long and narrow and flat. There is water on one hole -- 18 I think. The water does not come into play. It is directly in front of the tee box and is very small. i found the course, for me, to be very ordinary. Pinehurst # 7 was a real challenge. Lots of woods, water, hills, and valleys, for me, very tough.

TPC Sawgrass was a beast; did not have any fun playing that one. I think I shot 232. Finished with one club left in my bag. Do not tell Mission.

tuttigym
helpmespock
helpmespock
Thanked by
Mission146
August 4th, 2021 at 4:11:14 PM permalink

We have a couse in Las Vegas that patterns it's holes after famous Scottish holes. I hate that course. The course is full of huge weeds outside the fairways and ridiculous bunkers. I probably play it four times a year and cuss out my playing partners when they book it,

https://royallinksgolfclub.com/

That's funny. I'd had that course booked for my March Break trip back in 2020 and then COVID hit.

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
Thanked by
Mission146
August 4th, 2021 at 4:19:24 PM permalink

I have played Pinehurst # 2. It is long and narrow and flat. There is water on one hole -- 18 I think. The water does not come into play. It is directly in front of the tee box and is very small. i found the course, for me, to be very ordinary. Pinehurst # 7 was a real challenge. Lots of woods, water, hills, and valleys, for me, very tough.

We'll likely stay at the resort and play a bunch of the courses so I'll put No. 7 on the list.

TPC Sawgrass was a beast; did not have any fun playing that one. I think I shot 232. Finished with one club left in my bag. Do not tell Mission.tuttigym

Interesting. A fellow member played TPC Sawgrass, but didn't mention its difficulty.

I'm curious about Carnoustie in Scotland too, but its nickname "Car-nasty" had me scared off. A golfmonthly.co.uk review said while tough it didn't deserve the name so I'm re-considering playing it.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 16th, 2021 at 3:39:04 PM permalink
41-35 at one of my usual courses. I probably average 86 or so there. The 35 was my lowest to par 9 holes ever, 1 under par. 4 birdies for the first time over 18 holes. It is weird. As a gambler I understand positive variance. But it feels different as a golfer. Glen Oak if anyone wants to look at the track.
helpmespock
helpmespock
August 17th, 2021 at 3:50:14 PM permalink

41-35 at one of my usual courses. I probably average 86 or so there. The 35 was my lowest to par 9 holes ever, 1 under par. 4 birdies for the first time over 18 holes. It is weird. As a gambler I understand positive variance. But it feels different as a golfer. Glen Oak if anyone wants to look at the track.

Nice! How often are you breaking 80? I just started breaking 90 last year.

Our club championship was two weekends ago and I played some pretty steady golfing for me. Shot 93 Saturday and then a 91 Sunday. Tournament golf is a different beast that's for sure. I ended up in the D-flight with everyone with a 16+ handicap which was 14 players. I managed to place 5th for gross, but I placed 2nd for low net at +6 which won me $65 in Pro Shop credit.

Golf variance does seem different. Those good rounds always seem to have the one or two bounces that make your game. A ball hitting a tree and bouncing back into the fairway instead of heading out of bounds, or that low screaming shot that hits the bunker, but bounces up off the lip and onto the green.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 17th, 2021 at 5:45:20 PM permalink
I break 80 on ‘regular’ courses maybe 2 or 3 times a year out of nearly 100 rounds. There is one course I play occasionally, Grover Cleveland, which is par 69 and I break 80 maybe 1/3 of the time so I don’t count those. In I think 1918 or so Grover Cleveland hosted the US Open. It may have been called Buffalo Country Club back then. It is now a VERY short course with a bunch of par 4’s barely over 300 yards.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 17th, 2021 at 6:50:26 PM permalink

You know when I loved golf? In the early 70s when me and my golf buddy could go on a weekday afternoon and take our time on a beautiful 27-hole course and have nobody in front of us and nobody behind us. I could even do that in Santa Barbara in the early 80s but the golf course was crap. No trees, no water traps, just brown grass and green greens. I tried to take it up again in the early nineties in Michigan but it was way too expensive and even during the week at 2 p.m. way too many people were playing. I regularly drive by 2 golf courses and it doesn't matter what time of day it is the parking lot is jammed. I can only imagine what it costs to play 9 holes at the course I played in 1974 for $3.50 on a Tuesday afternoon. On weekends it was $12 for 18 holes. We would often pay for 9 holes during the week and play 18 because nobody noticed or cared. We used to find so many nice expensive balls in the rough and in the water traps the neither one of us ever bought a ball. I'm sure I still have some of those balls in one of my old golf bags.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
helpmespock
helpmespock
August 17th, 2021 at 7:33:28 PM permalink
100 rounds in a year SOOPOO. Nice! With COVID on, I'm getting close to 40 rounds in during the season. That's Friday, Saturday in the summer and then for long weekends I usually get in a round on the holiday too.

EvenBob I hear you. Golf has gotten more expensive over the years. I used to play with co-workers back in in the early 2000's. Most of the local courses offered great deals for twilight golf. The course closest to my house had all the holes you could play after 6PM for $20. My current home course offered all you could play for $15 after 5PM. You could easily finish 18 holes around the summer Solstice. It was a nice cheap way to play golf. Those days are long gone.

You would have loved my last Saturday morning round EvenBob. It was myself and 2 other members and we were the 4th group out and the members ahead of us were all fast players. It was walk, hit, walk, hit all the way around. We got done in three and a half hours.

--helpmespock
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2021 at 8:31:07 PM permalink
Oh my God. I just looked up how much it cost to play at my old course. When I played there in the seventies it was $3.50 for 18 holes during the week and $12 for 18 holes on weekends. Cart rental was a flat fee of $3. Today it's gone from 27 holes to 45 holes. It cost $40 any day of the week to play 9 holes, $75 to play 18 holes. Cart rental is $23 per person. So two people playing 18 holes is going to cost almost $200. This is a gorgeous golf course it has been since it was started in the 1940s. But come on, 18 holes with a cart for $100? What does it cost in your area.

Saskatoon Golf Course

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 18th, 2021 at 4:01:41 AM permalink
Bob, most courses have a ‘senior’ rate. I pay anywhere between $25 and $60. Probably $4500 for my 100 rounds. I take a cart 90% of the time. Would be less most rounds if I walked. I have over 1000 balls in my garage, likely 200-300 in the trunk of my car. I find 5 -10 times as many balls as I lose in an average round. Anyone who wants can grab a few handfuls from my trunk. The thought of actually paying for a golf ball is anathema to me!
Looks like I’ll be rained out today! I’ll go to the Y to shoot baskets.
helpmespock
helpmespock
August 18th, 2021 at 5:58:06 AM permalink
I'm actually what's called a "Flex" member at my club. I pay $1300 for the year and it acts as a declining balance. I get 20% off my round from the regular fee which is $54.99 on weekends and $47.99 on weekdays. I walk so no cart fees for me, but they run $17.50 per person.

The pricey courses in my area run you $100 for cart plus round and some range balls before you head out.

As for balls, I play a consistent ball. I'm currently using the Vice Pro Soft ball that has the urethane cover. I like the soft feel they have and I'm not generating a lot of clubhead speed so the low compression isn't likely hurting me much. Mygolfspy just published their big ball test and warned that soft is shorter for higher swing speeds. Nothing I have to worry about.

--helpmespock
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 9:58:58 AM permalink

Bob, most courses have a ‘senior’ rate. I pay anywhere between $25 and $60. Probably $4500 for my 100 rounds. I take a cart 90% of the time. Would be less most rounds if I walked. I have over 1000 balls in my garage, likely 200-300 in the trunk of my car. I find 5 -10 times as many balls as I lose in an average round. Anyone who wants can grab a few handfuls from my trunk. The thought of actually paying for a golf ball is anathema to me!
Looks like I’ll be rained out today! I’ll go to the Y to shoot baskets.

I lost seven balls on Sunday. If that continues i will not be able to afford golf.
Gundy
Gundy
August 18th, 2021 at 12:29:31 PM permalink
Shot 80 today (37-43) at Riverwood Golf & Country Club in Port Charlotte FL.

I play 6 days per week.

Tomorrow at Lemon Bay Golf Club in Englewood FL.
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 12:32:47 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

Shot 80 today (37-43) at Riverwood Golf & Country Club in Port Charlotte FL.

I play 6 days per week.

Tomorrow at Lemon Bay Golf Club in Englewood FL.

Gundy, do you live near Port Charlotte? My wife and I have narrowed down where we are moving to down to Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, or Cape Coral. I know very little about Port Charlotte but I will be there in a few weeks to look at the area and possibly buy a house.
Gundy
Gundy
August 18th, 2021 at 5:40:33 PM permalink
Yep. If you want to check out Port Charlotte, look at South Gulf Cove.

Punta Gorda is very cool too. I know less about Cape Coral.

Happy searching man.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2021 at 5:41:12 PM permalink

I know very little about Port Charlotte but I will be there in a few weeks to look at the area and possibly buy a house.

How will you buy a house if you haven't sold yours yet. You said buying a house in Florida was totally contingent on you selling your house in Las Vegas first.
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 5:48:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How will you buy a house if you haven't sold yours yet. You said buying a house in Florida was totally contingent on you selling your house in Las Vegas first.

I am working on some alternate financing. If I can "afford" two house payments, according to the lender, it won't be a problem. It s close but I am not sure if I will qualify as I can only use 45% of my income according to their rules to qualify. If my wife hadn't retired a couple weeks ago it wouldn't have been an issue.
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 5:51:47 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

Yep. If you want to check out Port Charlotte, look at South Gulf Cove.

Punta Gorda is very cool too. I know less about Cape Coral.

Happy searching man.

Thank you. I know Cape Coral very well but haven't spent any time in Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte. Others have told me to look at the Rotunda West area of Port Charlotte https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotonda_West,_Florida.. I will check it out in a few weeks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2021 at 6:43:52 PM permalink

Thank you. I know Cape Coral very well but haven't spent any time in Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte. Others have told me to look at the Rotunda West area of Port Charlotte https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotonda_West,_Florida.. I will check it out in a few weeks.

Watch out, very easy to overextend yourself in a situation like this. Remember that absolutely nothing works out the way you think it's going to so you have to give yourself leeway and usually lots of it. Did you ever see the movie The out-of-towners? A couple from the Midwest has every minute of their first trip to New York City planned and not a single bit of it worked out like they thought it would. It's a hilarious movie.
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 6:55:59 PM permalink

Watch out, very easy to overextend yourself in a situation like this. Remember that absolutely nothing works out the way you think

Very true. I know I can sell the house I just don't want to pay the $40K commission. I want to sell it myself if possible. If not, I will just have to suck it up and pay real estate agent commissions.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2021 at 7:39:36 PM permalink

Very true. I know I can sell the house I just don't want to pay the $40K commission. I want to sell it myself if possible. If not, I will just have to suck it up and pay real estate agent commissions.

Nobody wants to pay the Real Estate Commission, oh well. It's so complicated now unless you're an expert you can really screw it up if you do it yourself. Better to have somebody who does it for a living do it for you and it's one less thing to worry about.
Gundy
Gundy
August 19th, 2021 at 4:47:04 AM permalink

Yep. Rotonda West is another that's worth checking out.
tuttigym
tuttigym
August 19th, 2021 at 12:31:35 PM permalink

You know real estate commissions are NEGOTIABLE. Have agents bid on listing and selling your house. You will save lots.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
August 19th, 2021 at 1:09:31 PM permalink

Nobody wants to pay the Real Estate Commission, oh well. It's so complicated now unless you're an expert you can really screw it up if you do it yourself. Better to have somebody who does it for a living do it for you and it's one less thing to worry about.

I have a real estate attorney and he only charges $1500 for a simple sale.
  • Jump to: